What is you favorite purse designer/brand?

I wish I could find Stone Mountain in the wine/cordoavan colors. All I see them in is camel and black.

momofmeg--You might want to try Boscov's on line. Just type in handbags.

Take care,

Pat......Does anyone know how to clean a leather bag?

I use mink oil. You can buy it at any shoe store or shoe repair shop. Probally good ole Wallyworld too-but iI am not sure about them.

I wish I could find Stone Mountain in the wine/cordoavan colors. All I see them in is camel and black.

momofmeg--You might want to try Boscov's on line. Just type in handbags.

Take care,

Pat......Does anyone know how to clean a leather bag?

I will check them out. You know, years ago I loved John Romain bags, but then they started going downhill in quality and price. They are very inexpensive now-I see them for under $30 (fake leather) where years ago you did good to find one under $100.

These two brands used to be good leather too, if the bags were scratched it was not like the color was taken off-because they had been dyed cheaply- and the lining of the bags held up also-the linings did not rip out after a few uses like the cheap bags did.

I guess when a brand loses it's popularity then they start making cheaper stuff so they can offer cheaper prices??????? I am not sure what THAT is all about.

My "theory" is the middle class is disapeering-everyone is either wealthy or poor now-very few of us in the middle class now-so it does not pay to cator to us anymore.

Handbags for me are a challenge. I hate having to buy a new one because I am so picky, and as a result I use one until it looks pretty worn.:o I prefer nice leather - the kind that feels really nice, yet I cannot stand a "floppy" bag. It must be sturdy - not so soft that it loses its shape after a few months. I hate that and will not touch those types of bags. I don't like to "dig" through my purse looking for things. I carry a lot with me, so I need a bag with compartments and pockets so that I can organize the contents. I dislike all the metal junk they are putting all over the bags now - very crass looking to me. I don't care for logos, so the designer bags are not my style. If I had to pick a single brand to choose from, I would have to go with Fossil.

I succumbed to a LV bag a couple years ago in St Barths. I normally don't like flashing logos, but this bag was so beautifully designed and crafted that I had to have it. It's called a Viva Cite and is probably the most comfortable shoulder bag I have every owned.

On the other hand, I have a closet full of old Coach bags. I refuse to buy the "signature" collection. I haven't loved Coach since the early 90s when the bags were still so classic that they continued to sell their original styles from the 1940s. I have a Dooney and Bourke bag that Steve gave me right after we were married, in 1981, that is an equestrian style in a polished cordovan leather. I adore that bag. It is a true classic.

I cherish my black textured leather Ferragamo bag (dressy) and my old Coach shoulderbag -- it's 22 years old and still perfect. I remember paying exactly $100 for it 22 years ago when I really could not afford it. It served me well for years and years. Then there are also my Nantucket baskets. I also have a black Chanel bag that I bought with the help of year's worth of Nordstrom points! I have a brown Longchamp bag that I bought on a cruise. I have always been a "bag lady". When I was so horribly overweight, it was really the only fashion statement I could make.

I always rationalized that buying a good bag was good sense, because it would last forever. This has been true of all of my good bags. I rarely buy something truly trendy, because it would look dated as opposed to classic.

I still covet a Judith Leiber bag. If you recall, I work on a fashion show every year. Our most generous sponsor, a local jeweler who sells Judith Leiber bags, hosts a pre-event before the real event. He will discount everything in the store that evening. I may just.....:rolleyes:

I am a COACH girl, through and through!! I wont use any other purses/wallets aside from COACH. Even my umbrellas and such are COACH.

Did I mention that I love coach?!

There are a few things this season I can't wait to buy...

Q095_SAD_t.jpg

Q110_SAD_t.jpg

Q089_MAH_t.jpg

and

10264_SBKBK_t.jpg

10141_SVBK_t.jpgI really like the Optic Sig.

How's a girl to choose!!? Anyways, that's my 2 very expensive cents. Have a great time shopping this weekend!!!! Let us know what you get!

I don't care for logos, so the designer bags are not my style.

I think you're mixing up the apples from the oranges.

A "designer bag" is simply a bag designed by a particular designer - Prada, Dior, etc. EVERY bag, whether it's a designer bag or a $5.00 handbag has the brand name inside of it.

When you say you don't care for logo's, I think you're referring to when the fabric the bag is made from has the company initials woven into the fabric (like coach, Gucci, etc) or printed on it. (like LV).

One thing has nothing to do with the other. MOST designer bags are not made from logo'd fabric or have their logo printed on them. Most designer bags are, like most, made from leather or fabric and have the designer's name inside and some *might* have a small symbol (like the Prada triangle) somewhere on the outside.

I could never imagine spending $1500 or more on a handbag..OMG!!!

I can only ask why???

What is the difference between a bag that is similiar in style but might be $100. Is it just for the designer name??

Does everyone change handbags every day?

I'm very picky about purses. My everyday purse is literally that -- I use it every day. And it has to be roomy and sturdy. I have had the same Coach microfiber hobo with nickel hardware for the last 3 years, and it really needs to be replaced. The trouble is, I can't find anything I like.

I hate a heavy bag (that puts D&B out -- sheesh, they weigh a TON empty). I also don't like all the hardware -- a little is fine, but when you carry a purse everyday to work, you don't really want people to remember it too well, if you know what I mean. For the same reason, I don't like bags with logos. LV is fine for luggage, but not for my purse!

I don't care if it's expensive (well, within reason -- I'm not going to fork over $1,000) or not. I just want a well designed, sturdy, classic black bag. Is that too much to ask? I'm sure I'll find something. I haven't looked at the new Fall lines yet. Spring/summer is not the best time to look for black bags....:cool: I'll be in Rome in November, perhaps I'll find something there.

i loved coach's old styles but i don't like their new line...

I have a dooney and burke but don't get many compliments on it (it's the one that looks like it was drawn on by little kids with crayons...and that's basically what I'm always told)

Well, spurred on by this thread, I did a little searching on the internet. I'm liking this Kate Spade bag in black:

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod30570014&parentId=cat11560749&masterId=cat11270783&index=3&cmCat=cat000000cat000141cat000258cat11270778cat11270783cat11560749

It resembles the Coach bag I've had for the last several years in many ways. I'll have to go check it out at the store (hopefully they'll have it here) sometime this weekend!

I love my old leather hobo Coach (from the 80s) I like Coach, D&G, have an old Chanel that I inherited from my mother, use vintage evening bags when cruising. But the reality is that I almost now only use my "Healthy Back Bags" by Ameribag.

I first read about them on these boards about 3 years ago. Bought 'em in microfiber to see if I liked, now I have 5 in different fabrics/colors as well as in leather. (I bought a knockoff on ebay that looked the same, but inside wasn't...didn't disburse the weight.) I have them in small and extra small. I tend to carry too much in my purse, and these really make a difference.

I usually just love and carry the functional classics that get better every year:-my black Coach Hobo, my older (not trendy) LV bucket and LV briefcase and an older Gucci with the red/green strap.... I don't personally like the multi color LVs or other multi logos although I have a brown Murakimi cherry blossom. I have and use vintage small evening bags.

However once once in awhile, a non classic bag will captivate me. Heather, I bought a Kathy Von Z a few months ago and I love it.. I found it at Ross for a ridiculously good price.. but I would have paid a lot more. I think it is very well crafted- I love the lining, pockets, quality etc. Even my handbag snob collegeagues admire it. But most of all it is fun without being poorly made. I got the tan with western tooling and rhinestone buckles. I actually love it with classic (Tahari/ Jones N.Y. etc) business suits - it keeps the look from being too severe - just like I love classic bags with fun things like jeans and heels.. I love to mix- never all classic- never all trendy...but I try to wear only one trendy or flashy item at a time and pair it with classics...

Sue

I could never imagine spending $1500 or more on a handbag..OMG!!!

I can only ask why???

What is the difference between a bag that is similiar in style but might be $100. Is it just for the designer name??

Does everyone change handbags every day?

Well, that's kind of like saying, "why would anyone spend $5000. pp for a suite on a cruise when they can stay in a nice, inside cabin, eat at the same restaurants and enjoy the same activities and spend $600. pp?

There's no wrong or right, it's just preferences.

No, designer bags are not just about a label inside a bag. The quality of the leather, the metals, the linings, the design, the finesse and the company behind the product are all differences.

A few months ago I saw some handbags from a company who's name I didn't recognize. (still can't remember - Vlaaxo or something). I was drawn to the quality of these bags - the quality of the leather and construction and attention to detail in terms of design and balance got me crazy. I thought, I *have* to have one of these bags. It was timeless elegance and you could see it was a very expensive bag, but one that would last for over 30 years and the style was classic. I asked the price and thought I'd fall over when the salesman calmly told me $3500. Well, I didn't buy it, but Wow! , it was easy to see that this bag just screamed "quality, style, elegance". But hey, it's less than the Hermes Birkin Bag! :)

Truth is, if you can't see the difference you're lucky. I wish I couldn't! :D

Well, that's kind of like saying, "why would anyone spend $5000. pp for a suite on a cruise when they can stay in a nice, inside cabin, eat at the same restaurants and enjoy the same activities and spend $600. pp?

There's no wrong or right, it's just preferences.

No, designer bags are not just about a label inside a bag. The quality of the leather, the metals, the linings, the design, the finesse and the company behind the product are all differences.

A few months ago I saw some handbags from a company who's name I didn't recognize. (still can't remember - Vlaaxo or something). I was drawn to the quality of these bags - the quality of the leather and construction and attention to detail in terms of design and balance got me crazy. I thought, I *have* to have one of these bags. It was timeless elegance and you could see it was a very expensive bag, but one that would last for over 30 years and the style was classic. I asked the price and thought I'd fall over when the salesman calmly told me $3500. Well, I didn't buy it, but Wow! , it was easy to see that this bag just screamed "quality, style, elegance". But hey, it's less than the Hermes Birkin Bag! :)

Truth is, if you can't see the difference you're lucky. I wish I couldn't! :D

Jane,

I always stay in a suite/balcony on a cruise and YES, people tell me that I am crazy that I pay all that extra $$ for it. Of course I don't think twice about it, it 's just what I do!! I would stay home before I would cruise in an inside cabin.

But I sware I had no idea that some designer handbags cost that much!!! I'm still in shock....I just can't imagine leather, linings, etc being that magnificent to warrant the price. I'd be afraid to put anything in the bag!!

Thankfully, I'm not into handbags!!

Shoes are another story....I would pay the price of a cruise for a warranty on a good, comfortable pair of timeless black dress shoes...medium heel, open or closed toe...size 9 1/2...that don't hurt after 2 hours!

Jane,

I always stay in a suite/balcony on a cruise and YES, people tell me that I am crazy that I pay all that extra $$ for it. Of course I don't think twice about it, it 's just what I do!! I would stay home before I would cruise in an inside cabin.

But I sware I had no idea that some designer handbags cost that much!!! I'm still in shock....I just can't imagine leather, linings, etc being that magnificent to warrant the price. I'd be afraid to put anything in the bag!!

Thankfully, I'm not into handbags!!

Shoes are another story....I would pay the price of a cruise for a warranty on a good, comfortable pair of timeless black dress shoes...medium heel, open or closed toe...size 9 1/2...that don't hurt after 2 hours!

See, we're in total agreement. I also wouldn't cruise in an inside cabin, I probably wouldn't cruise without a veranda. But would I pay the money for a full suite? Probably not.

Well to "warrant the price" is a tough thing to compare. Okay, so we agree that the leather and the quality of a $1500 bag is alot higher than the quality of a $100. bag, right? But it also has to do with marketing and not just pure cost to make the item.

Think of it this way:

You've booked a balcony cabin for a 10 day cruise on your favorite ship going to the carribbean and let's say, it cost you $3500. PP. Now, that same ship is going to Australia for 10 days and the cost of that same cabin is now $5500. PP. WHY??? Same ship, same costs for crew and food. So they spent some money on gas....certainly not enough to warrant a $3000. PP price increase, right? Why is the cost of a cruise for the same amount of days on the same ship so much more? Well, "Because", that's why? <g>

One cruiseline charges a $10. corkage fee and the next one charges $20.00. Or one charges $6. for a glass of wine from a $20. bottle while another charges $10. for a glass of the same wine.

Cosmetics: Face creme costs $XXX for a 1 ounce jar. Eye creme costs $XXX for a 1/4 ounce jar. Doesn't matter if it's drugstore or dept store brand - same thing happens.

Answer: There is no answer! ;)

Hi, there was only one other person on this thread who

(besides me) doesn't have a preference in handbags.

I can't think of who it was.....but anyway, I don't

have a favorite. I happen to use a medium size blue

Sak 90% of the time, but I didn't buy because of the

name. It was on sale 1/2 price for 25.00 and the color

is nice. I would not have cared if it was a no name.

But I guess I am not a hand bag person.

As for the comparing the prices of bags, shoes

and cruises....I guess I am at the opposite end

of the sprectrum.

Quote by sgttami

"I always stay in a suite/balcony on a cruise and YES, people tell me that I am crazy that I pay all that extra $$ for it. Of course I don't think twice about it, it 's just what I do!! I would stay home before I would cruise in an inside cabin"

And I only cruise insides or windows because that is

all I can afford.

I don't think you are crazy and that is what makes us all

different.

I remember the first time I had a balcony~I got it on a

Happy Hour price. I had people tell me I would never go

back to anything else. Well, I guess I know myself. I have

had plenty of insides and windows since that cruise.

I just prefer to be on the ship. The cabin category doesn't

matter to me.

But I will tell you I have had people call me crazy too...

for the opposite reason of yours.....how can I sail inside?

Well, for me it easy.

Different shoes, purses and cabin categories for all of us.

I'm one of those people who always stays in a suite and enjoys designer bags. For me, I'm compensating. My life is pretty restricted. I am disabled and I can't enjoy a lot of the things people take for granted like running or dancing or just having a pain free day. So when I go on a cruise I want to be in the most comfortable accomodations possible. I spend a lot of time in my cabin, can't drink or take excursions, don't gamble so there is not much to spend my money on. I like the creature comforts of my suite. I have nerve damage so I can't even get a massage.

As far as handbags or shoes, shoes are for comfort. Less expensive shoes are just not comfortable. Handbags I admit are just a real splurge. I don't change mine very often. I buy one for fall and one for spring and my evening bag is my Leiber. I guess my rationalization is I'm not depriving or hurting anyone by my indulgences so why not.

I don't think anyone has to justify or explain why they choose to spend their money on the things they choose to buy or defend their prioirties. We all have our reasons for the choices we make. For some reason, in the US, we have this ethic that to indulge oneself is something that needs to be justified and sacrifice is noble.

It was hurtful to me that no one responded to me earlier in this thread. It should not have been, but it was. For some reason, I felt that way right now. I have been around long enough to know better than to take things personally, but I just had to let all of you who know me know how I feel.

I know I have been busy. But I try to check in when I can. Sorry if that has not been often enough.

Linda:(

I'm one of those people who always stays in a suite and enjoys designer bags. For me, I'm compensating. My life is pretty restricted. I am disabled and I can't enjoy a lot of the things people take for granted like running or dancing or just having a pain free day. So when I go on a cruise I want to be in the most comfortable accomodations possible. I spend a lot of time in my cabin, can't drink or take excursions, don't gamble so there is not much to spend my money on. I like the creature comforts of my suite. I have nerve damage so I can't even get a massage.

As far as handbags or shoes, shoes are for comfort. Less expensive shoes are just not comfortable. Handbags I admit are just a real splurge. I don't change mine very often. I buy one for fall and one for spring and my evening bag is my Leiber. I guess my rationalization is I'm not depriving or hurting anyone by my indulgences so why not.

I don't think anyone has to justify or explain why they choose to spend their money on the things they choose to buy or defend their prioirties. We all have our reasons for the choices we make. For some reason, in the US, we have this ethic that to indulge oneself is something that needs to be justified and sacrifice is noble.

It was hurtful to me that no one responded to me earlier in this thread. It should not have been, but it was. For some reason, I felt that way right now. I have been around long enough to know better than to take things personally, but I just had to let all of you who know me know how I feel.

I know I have been busy. But I try to check in when I can. Sorry if that has not been often enough.

Oh I don't think anyone is trying to justify what they spend. One person said she needs to because of her work-it is pretty much required-as she works in the fashion industry-others-well-we all do what we want with our money. I don't see a thing wrong with that-unless we are going bankrupt or something to buy stuff we can't afford. If not-well everyone has the right to spend their money the way they want.

I noticed you said you have nerve damage. Is it neography ( I have no idea how that is spelled which is why I usually just say I have nerve damage)from diabetes? I have that myself and I know what you mean about comfortable shoes. I have to be very careful what shoes I put on my feet. They have to be very good quality leather and fairly low heeled or else I pay dearly in pain.

Gee sorry your feelings wee hurt. Honestly I didn't respond because I simply agreed with everything you wrote and had nothing to add. I know, hard to believe that big mouth moi couldn't add, but that's the truth. :)

You know I also love Gucci, Leiber and YSL.....and an olive green YSL? Okay, I'm really jealous of that!

I like the Fiori, but don't have any because I think I would tire of one quickly, though I do have a pair of her summer sandals, which are adorable. I got them in the middle of last summer on sale and the shape is a classic mid heeled slide with her silly colors and designs on them. They'll probably last me though this Thanksgiving in Florida and then it's bye-bye for them.

Yes, come back more often. I miss ya' round here!

Jane

Lurker of a few days and this is the thread I'm choosing to out myself in, lol!!

I love bags, more than shoes and jewellery! This mini-obsession started a couple of years ago. I have a satchel by Marc by Marc Jacobs (my first designer bag), and a gorgeous pink Marc Jacobs Blake (with matching wallet). My Alexander McQueen red Novak bag is a work of art, while my big pink paisley Lulu Guinness bag holds everything if I'm out for the day. I have a faux alligator emerald green clutch from a department store here in Scotland (John Lewis's own brand) that goes with everything, from jeans to velvet.

But my absolute favourite line of bags are from Mulberry. Gorgeous leather, understated, classic. At last count I have 3 wallets, 1 coin purse, and 6 bags, all in assorted shapes and colours to fit every kind of mood and event. LOOOOOVE Mulberry. I've even bought my husband cufflinks and daily planner from them. I'm their customer for life!

Whew! :o

Jane, you know there are insensative people everywhere:eek:

I know we are all different people and what is important

to one person is definitely not always important to another.

Here is hoping everyone has the bags and shoes they prefer:)

I am in a predicament myself right now....when 2008 arrives

I will be 50. I want to do something special for that birthday.

The only way my I can afford it is to give up my cruises

for 2007:rolleyes:.....lets see how I get through the next year.

And that is still going inside...but I really want to do

a Transatlantic or Europe. The time frame for what I

am looking at isn't even open yet.

Wish me luck....it looks like I will be staying home after

my December cruise...for at least 16 or 17 months.

Ooops..sorry I got off the purses/shoes topic...forgive me.

Hi, sorry, I honestly didn't have anything to say really plus I've been a bit out of it with this nasty cold. I appologize if I caused your feelings to get hurt in any way.

You should not have to justify anything, how you spend your money is your business.

No one should have to justify why they spend or don't spend.

Momofmeg you are 100% right and I agree with all you said.

Lois, good luck achieving your goal, I hope you get your heart's desire.

Jane, you know there are insensative people everywhere:eek:

I know we are all different people and what is important

to one person is definitely not always important to another.

Here is hoping everyone has the bags and shoes they prefer:)

I am in a predicament myself right now....when 2008 arrives

I will be 50. I want to do something special for that birthday.

The only way my I can afford it is to give up my cruises

for 2007:rolleyes:.....lets see how I get through the next year.

And that is still going inside...but I really want to do

a Transatlantic or Europe. The time frame for what I

am looking at isn't even open yet.

Wish me luck....it looks like I will be staying home after

my December cruise...for at least 16 or 17 months.

Ooops..sorry I got off the purses/shoes topic...forgive me.

Hi Lois!

This has nothing whatsoever to do with handbags - but for a Trans Atlantic cruise, you may be able to get a real deal for a repositioning cruise in the fall or spring when the ships move from Florida to Europe and vice versa. We got a bargain on the Grandeur a couple of years ago. It was pretty last minute (two months out) when we decided to go. The cruiseline offered free air on our cabin accommodation. If you have a great TA, then maybe they can be on the lookout, especially if you are flexible with your travel dates.

For my 50th, we were going through the Canal. I didn't want to be anywhere near home when that epic event happened!!

To get back on topic, please wear shoes and carry the handbag of your choice.:)

--Judy