Worst food item you tasted on a cruise??

Heidict

• 1 month later...

I'd have to say the lobster one night that had no meat just cooked lobster blood.

Lobster bisque tasted more like dirt.

The thimble full of mac 'n cheese on Inspiration had a tiny amount of cheese and it was full of milk. They're usually very good.

Penne mariscos was awful! One piece of calamari, 2 tiny shrimp in a sauce that was just terrible with penne pasta. No one at the table could eat it.

Cold french toast and eggs benedict served in MRD.

Hot dogs. Yuck! Don't know what brand they buy...

Those were all on Carnival.

I had the worst food ever on Grand Princess. A fish dish that tasted like dirt. 3 nights on a 7 nighter I sent my food back and got something else which wasn't always better.

There seems to be a trend of food I get tasting like dirt. I went to Emeril's in Orlando and got fish that tasted just like on Princess, like dirt!

Edited by crusinpsychRN

• 4 weeks later...

I have to agree with many others, I was on the Carnival Legend last week and food was room temperature to warm, never hot in the MDR. The food was also very bland. The flat iron steak and many other items had no taste what so ever? Food has gone downhill it seems :(

And when you order things like Steak sauce or Tabasco "several" times and they never arrive...well....? The wait staff seemed overworked and rarely ever smiled or said hello to you?

The worst though was the cheesecakes. I love cheesecake and I tried it twice..both a pasty bitter mess.

I lived on the pastrami on rye from the deli many times. The guy there was nice and friendly as well. He got the vote as best employee from me.

I've been on several ships in RCI fleet and I have never had a cheesecake that was good. They seem bready to me, almost as if the chefs have a very different idea of what cheesecake is than I have. I supposed it is possible that cheesecake in Europe is very different, but I skip it every time. By the way, I love all kinds of cheesecake in the US, including New York style and even more custard-like styles.

On the Oasis for the maiden voyage, the fish & chips place on the boardwalk was a greasy, disgusting mess! So, unless something has changed drastically since then I would avoid that place.

Most recently, I was on the VOS and I would warn people off of the cheese sauce in the Windjammer, it was too thin and curdled every day! I can understand making one mistake and curdling the cheese sauce, but not doing it every day.

Edited by cwilson466

• 2 weeks later...

Without a doubt the beef Wellington onboard the Westerdam. It seemed to have been assembled the day before. Baked in the morning and served for dinner. The crust which should have been crispy was soft and totally disgusting. The disappointing thing is when I barely touched it the waiter simply removed my plate - never asked if he could get me something else or if there was a problem. Beef Wellington is not something I would normally order but someone had raved about it on CC so thought I would give it a try. I quickly learned to order something that was prepared as simply as possible.

The sausage NCL serves in the morning. It is cheap knock off of brown and serve only not as good.

Also the hot dog my son order at the blue lagoon, was so over done he who had never met a hotdog he could not eat refused. As a side note in the 7 days on the ship not one hamburg or hotdog bun was not stale.

• 3 months later...

Fruit on the buffet of the Carnival Triumph- took a bite of a strawberry, cantelope, honeydew, pineapple and spit every bite out-it tasted soo horrible!

However, we loved all the rest of the food. I thought all fruit on cruise ships were bad but had delicious papaya on the Emerald Princess!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another way is to customize the Eggs Benedict. I order it over hash browns instead of English Muffins. Stay away from the corned beef hash - way to greasy... Traditional Eggs Benedict the muffins are always soggy or very tough, the eggs cold or rubbery and the sauce is lumpy. But customized your breakfast and everything is hot and fresh. Plus you shave a few carbs from the meal for those keeping carb counts. Eggs Benedict is my favorite breakfast meal and I have had Eggs Benedict on every ship I traveled, until I figured out I could order the meal customized I would try it, never finish the meal or send it back for something else. Now I enjoy it once again and order it more than once during the cruise.

That's a great idea! If we ever use carnvial again I may have to try that. :)