What is so hard to understand about this???

yetti78

This probably goes elsewhere, but this is the forum I'm mostly in. Anyway, why do people have such a hard time understanding the self service check in kiosks at airline counters?

Most airlines have them now. They are very simple to use. Very easy. But it seems that every time, there is always a long line of people, and all of the self service kiosks are open, but not being used. Why does no one understand that they don't have to stand in line. And worse of all, when I jump out of line to go use one, I get looks like I'm cutting in front, but I'm not, it is just that no one ahead of me realizes they can use them.

In fact, the last time this happened, I jumped out of line, and feeling guilty, asked the lady behind the counters if it was ok what I had done, and she said, "If no one wants to use these, then please feel free."

Sorry...just wanted to get that off my chest.

...are you suggesting that people should change their preferences and behaviors so that you don't feel guilty? Some folks like to be waited on by other people, not machines. It's called preferences. If you know you are in the right, then why feel guilty in the first place?

jennew: Oh you lucky person. How do you cruise without checked baggage? We always tip the scales. Brought a third suitcase the last time and almost had 3-50 pounders. Packing for the tropics was harder than I thought it would be. Are you going to buy the liquids when you get on the ship or at a port. I am really tried of lugging these heavy suitcases around so any packing suggestions for carry-on only traveling (14+ day stays) would be welcomed. We're going to NYC next May, if that helps.

TIA, Eric

If everyone used the kiosks just think of all the people the airlines can lay off.

Well!

I think they are doing that now and cancelling their pensions as well!;) It doesnt matter what you do the Airlines are going to do what they want no matter how much you try and help they could care less because it cost my Wifes 20 Years and her Pension so you take your Kisoks!:rolleyes:

I think many people are just freaked out by new ways of doing things and would rather not change their ways. It did cause me a little concern when they asked me to insert my credit card, but once I understood why they wanted it (to identify the passenger,) I was totally ok and only go to the un-manned kiosks now.

There was one time that I seemed to have a huge amount of time on my hands (and no toddlers underfoot,) and I helped out a few people who were standing in an incredibly long line on how to use the kiosks. All 3 of the people I helped said they were just nervous using this new way of checking in and now they wouldn't be nervous. Admittedly, I only did this because I had extra time, but it sure made me feel good!

jennew: Oh you lucky person. How do you cruise without checked baggage?

Actually, you can use the kiosks or the print-at-home boarding pass even if you have to check lugggage. If you have the bp already, just go up to the counter behind the kiosks. It defeats some of the advantaage of having the bp in hand, of course, but it's still a lot quicker. And if you use the kiosk, it will ask how many pieces of luggage you have, the tags will be printed and the agent will call you over to take your luggage.

This probably goes elsewhere, but this is the forum I'm mostly in. Anyway, why do people have such a hard time understanding the self service check in kiosks at airline counters?

Most airlines have them now. They are very simple to use. Very easy. But it seems that every time, there is always a long line of people, and all of the self service kiosks are open, but not being used. Why does no one understand that they don't have to stand in line. And worse of all, when I jump out of line to go use one, I get looks like I'm cutting in front, but I'm not, it is just that no one ahead of me realizes they can use them.

In fact, the last time this happened, I jumped out of line, and feeling guilty, asked the lady behind the counters if it was ok what I had done, and she said, "If no one wants to use these, then please feel free."

Sorry...just wanted to get that off my chest.

Good rant! :) Btw, here's the correct forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128

Happy Cruising! :cool:

Well!

I think they are doing that now and cancelling their pensions as well!;) It doesnt matter what you do the Airlines are going to do what they want no matter how much you try and help they could care less because it cost my Wifes 20 Years and her Pension so you take your Kisoks!:rolleyes:

Wow so much hate!!! :eek:

Wow so much hate!!! :eek:

Don't mess with airline people ... (my partner's Dad worked for PanAm .... don't get him started).

I remember when my parents (God Bless their souls) refused to use an ATM b/c they didn't want anyone tracking their banking .... huh? Oh well, life rolls on. :rolleyes:

jennew: Oh you lucky person. How do you cruise without checked baggage? We always tip the scales. Brought a third suitcase the last time and almost had 3-50 pounders. Packing for the tropics was harder than I thought it would be. Are you going to buy the liquids when you get on the ship or at a port. I am really tried of lugging these heavy suitcases around so any packing suggestions for carry-on only traveling (14+ day stays) would be welcomed. We're going to NYC next May, if that helps.

TIA, Eric

Princess has both self-service laundry rooms, and send-it-out-to-be-cleaned laundry service. This can help immensely in keeping down the amount you pack.

I LOVE the kiosks, and use them every time I go. I have found the same thing, that the regular line is always long, and the kiosks are empty and often don't even have a queue up to them because it is not needed. I leave out of Orlando International (always a very busy airport) and have never had to wait for the use of the kiosk. I just walk up, enter the conf # or swipe the card/barcode on eticket and check in my bags. I will have plenty of person to person contact with the flight attendant, IMHO. :p

Most airlines have them now. They are very simple to use. Very easy. But it seems that every time, there is always a long line of people, and all of the self service kiosks are open, but not being used. Why does no one understand that they don't have to stand in line.

SSSHHHHHH!!! Quiet....the more people that want to stand in line for the agent, the fewer that are going to use the kiosks or the web checkin bag tag drops. Less waiting time for us!! :D:D

they will be replaced with employe funded 401k's like the majority of america has. companies that fully pay employe pensions are a thing of the 50's and 60's and will be just a memory soon.

Your title is 'pensions gone, so what'..... yes, 401K's are beginning to be the way for companys to help fund their employees retirement, but please remember that many of the people that were part of the pension plans era do not have the time left to make up for what has been lost by the airline taking it away. This is where a lot of the pain and resentment comes from. Betrayal hurts in any form.

But, with continuing my thought pattern, if each one of us would just take one other person into consideration during our day, maybe our stress levels would lower. So I agree w/ cmacf1 and bleucats.... help someone else and you may feel a little better. :)

Archived