Crown Princess 9/3 Review - "C" At Best

bulldogatl

This was my previous posting on this site when comparing Princess and Celebrity. Princess is the better cruise line. Celebrity is overrated! Service is not what it use to be. Food is not what it use to be. Been on Mercury Nov 05 and the ship was really looking it age. The Sun and Dawn are basically the same age and look new compare to the dingy Mercury. Service on the Mercury was very slow, food unpredictable and even the head waiters would not recommend the lamb or steak on the menu on four nights out of 10. Celebrity repeater benefits are almost nothing compare to Princess. Go Princess and enjoy a cruise without the faux Crystal/Celebrity hype. I would choose HAL over Celebrity!

I too was on this sailing with my husband. And i found the cruise to be excellent. Yes missing Bermuda was disappointing but got over that and enjoyed the rest of the trip.

I myself enjoy sea days i find them very relaxing so i like the extra day at sea. I too witnessed the boat along us portside and was really intrigued how it stayed afloat, it was under water more than it was above:eek:

But how can people complain about the weather?? Princess doesnt make the weather, we all chose to sail hurricane season, it is what it is and i still think it was a wonderful cruise and did not feel endangered at all.

With the impact of the waves how can you not expect the ship to rock and roll and drop a few things.

At the Captains Circle coctail party the Captain was there and spoke to us about the storm, i found him to be competent in his decision.

He told us that he was sailing us 200 miles out of the way to get us away from 32ft swells, (i believe him)

He said he would also try to get us to another port, but with the given time we would have only had 3 hours at the new chosen port, seeing that he gave us 2 extra hrs at St thomas it wasnt worth it.

You just cant decide to go to any port at any time, they need clearance, isnt that correct??

After Florence came into play and we were told we werent going to Bermuda all i heard from people were complaints, get over it so u missed a port, that was your choice to sail in hurricane season that is why the prices are so reasonable!!

I just could not beleive all the sour puss faces i saw, it could have been worse, princess cant help the weather.

Sorry you had a rotten cruise, maybe stick with celebrity.

Kevin ---I was on the same cruise and found I had a wonderful time. We had a great group from the boards. You should have joined us. We were all anxious to meet you :D

We cant control the weather. On one of my past cruises to Bermuda we sailed to New England instead.

BTW --- Bermuda still does not have power on some parts of the island

Marie

I think everyone understands about missing Bermuda port, upset but understand. Upset over MISSING bermuda, not upset at the DECISION. And for the few who didn't understand the decision on Sunday, they certainly must have understood by Monday.

That's not even the main point of OP or others who have agreed with OP on the quality of the post.

Why does negative post get so much negative reaction? Is this a happy board only?

We also were on the 9/3 sailing. I agree with some of the previous postings, not all. Had a great time, sailing Princess again the end of October. With all the complaints, I did not find the one problem that bothered me the most, having to ask for a receipt all the time in the Wheelhouse and Crooners bars. I asked one of the waiters why there just wasn't aduplicate and the answer was the bar staff were told by management not to give one unless asked for because people only throw them away. If you throw away your receipt how can you check your account? Doesn't make sense to me does anyone know if this practice is throughout the fleet. HAD A GREAT TIME ONE DAY CRUISING IS BETTER THAN A MONTH HOME

THE EDS

I for one am GLAD to see that they don't give receipts. I'm one of those that throws them away as soon as I get them. How do I check my account, I really don't. However, I'm pretty good at keeping a rough running total in my head and for every cruise I've been on, when the final bill comes, it's always been within what I consider an acceptable range of what I thought it would be (~$75).

:eek: I can't imagine why James Lay wouldn't return your phone call.... How dare he.....

Wood floors on a cruise ship is strange...This is a new one for me ...Explain exactly what kind of flooring you expect or seen that is not wood on a cruise ship? ? ?

Did you pick up people from tables to manuever them to get a table?

Princess doesn't care if you ever come back or not. They have 20 pax to one of you....So - Enjoy your Celebrity cruise. Just wondering what kind of flooring that ship has? Hope their C.D. calls you back for whatever reason....

How unkind of you. I thought the OP was fair and balanced. Some things that may not be important to you, are to him (like access to the CD). Your response was uncalled for.

I realize my posting is going to cause a "riot" but having travelled on nearly 100 cruises in my 40 years, I think I have some equity in .........Kevin

Thank you for your review, it always amazes me how there is such a broad variation in reviews from the same sailing. But then we are all different in what we look for while on a cruise. I just gotta ask though, with you having 100 Cruises in 40 years, which end does the "Silver Spoon" go in:) (just kidding) I am evidently in the wrong racket.

.....I understand why we did not go to Bermuda, but he put all of us in harms way with his three days at sea returning to New York. ...... Did you notice how slow we were going?

I'm going to guess the rational for three days at sea was that to lessen the uncomfortable motion of a ship, slowing it down is the first thing a captain does. (Think airplanes in turbulence, they slow down / cars on bumpy roads, you slow down.... same on the water)

To both slow down and still make NYC you need to add time for the passage. Since the itinerary called for only an 8 hour pause in Bermuda, which was basically on the route back to NYC, I'm not surprised that there were three sea days considering the weather.

I'm in no way a Princess cheerleader, but there was no way they could have added a stop away down in the Caribbean and still make NYC.

How unkind of you. I thought the OP was fair and balanced. Some things that may not be important to you, are to him (like access to the CD). Your response was uncalled for.

stephenandrew............

Everyone is entitled to their OPINION....including you;) Sandytoes made her's known... Just because you didn't like what she posted doesn't make it uncalled for...it was simply how she felt......

To each his own - that's why there are different lines and different ships. I'm sorry your vacation wasn't what you expected but you sure did spend a lot of time comparing it to Celebrity vs. enjoying the fact that you were on that ship - any ship, and making the best of it.

I have been on both and yes, Celebrity has better food hands-down. Celebrity also has higher prices. Princess has much better perks for their repeat cruisers and newer ships with, in my opinion, better itineraries and more selections. For any of you who say that the Celebrity bathrooms are spacious - clearly you never sailed on the Meridian. That ship had the smallest bathroom I have ever experienced.

I hope when you are back on Celebrity for your next cruise it's everything you expect.

I was also on the sailing and would rate it as an "A". The only thing that did not rate as and "A+" for me was the cruise director. Our cabin steward, Joe from the Phillipines" was excellent. We had anytime dining and never waited for a table. Our choices at dinner allowed us to experience wonderful food. We did feel that the food at Sabatini's and the Crown Grill was even better. We went to all three production show and the three performances by Sarge, and excellent comedian. Yes we were disappointed in missing Bermuda but thought the captain did an excellent job and made the correct decision. Monday's ride was interesting as we had never sailed during a storm. We will sail princess again and have one booked for November of 07. We never felt like we were on a ship with 3000 vacationers and 1000 crew. Even on Monday when most people were inside we did not feel crowded. It is amazing to me how much we can disagree about the same cruise. However we did not have the same stewards, same waiters, nor attended the same events. I never got to crooners and don't gamble so I can't rate those areas. I overate chocolate chip cookies and LOVED the variety of entertainment in the Piazza. We enjoyed all three ports including Grand Turk where we snorkeled with stingrays.

:eek: I can't imagine why James Lay wouldn't return your phone call.... How dare he.....

Wood floors on a cruise ship is strange...This is a new one for me ...Explain exactly what kind of flooring you expect or seen that is not wood on a cruise ship? ? ?

Did you pick up people from tables to manuever them to get a table?

Princess doesn't care if you ever come back or not. They have 20 pax to one of you....So - Enjoy your Celebrity cruise. Just wondering what kind of flooring that ship has? Hope their C.D. calls you back for whatever reason....

Is this type of post really necessary??? Why do some posters feel like they need to defend "their" cruise line to the death? We are all allowed our personal opinions of the lines without the fear of being attacked by some overzelaous Princess fan. Get a grip! I thought the review was fair and balanced and most of all, reflected the poster's personal experience...

To the OP: I appreciated the detailed review. While the cruise is not what you had hoped, it seems that there were positive aspects you did enjoy, like the cookies:). I am sorry that some feel it necessary to personally attack a poster whose tastes and opinions do not match their own, but such it is on a public forum.

I believe it is very true that different folks can be on the same sailing and have totally different experiences. Those experiences then help us make decisions on how to spend our vacation $$$ on cruises we will enjoy.

Re X, I personally enjoy their ships, food and service. I enjoy having a sommelier available to recommend wines, the smaller ship atmosphere, the European dining room service and the traditional onboard ambiance. While my last X cruise was disappointing in a few elements, overall it is still a great line, IME. And I am cruising with them again in November.

Re perks for past passengers, I have 48 cruises with RCI and the perks are great. However, I no longer cruise with RCI because they do not offer the overall experience that I enjoy. So, for me, perks are pretty irrelevant when it comes to choosing a cruise.

Different strokes...

stephenandrew............

Everyone is entitled to their OPINION....including you;) Sandytoes made her's known... Just because you didn't like what she posted doesn't make it uncalled for...it was simply how she felt......

I would beg to differ---how one expresses their opinion is as important as the opinion itself. I think differing opinions are fine---far more interesting to talk to people who think differently than to talk to someone who shares the same view, but Sandytoes's remarks were, frankly, insulting and rude.

Thanks for the review. I m glad I read the whole thing, because actually it did not sound so bad to me!!! I thought the way you described everything sounded like you should have given better marks.

We have been on 4 previous princess cruises and what you described seemed to apply to all of them. Except the Sun Princess, which we thought was the best, prettier and smaller.

We are going on the Crown 9/30. Can't control the weather!! Leaving out of NY can be rough. You also have to expect transportation to be expensive in NYC.

I would beg to differ---how one expresses their opinion is as important as the opinion itself. I think differing opinions are fine---far more interesting to talk to people who think differently than to talk to someone who shares the same view, but Sandytoes's remarks were, frankly, insulting and rude.

You can beg all you want....everyone is entitled to an opinion even if the presentation was not up to your standards:rolleyes:

Regarding my other posts on this thread. The cruise was nice, but we should have gone to another port in the St. Thomas Area. As far as slowing down to made the ride better. I did two years in the Fleet Marines and 25 with the U. S. Navy. Slowing down in a storm is a rougher ride, PERIOD! To prove a point, drive over a small pot hole at a slower speed then the same pot hole at a highter speed. We have all done this and we all know the faster the less bump! Now for those that will say what if the hole is the size of the tire, etc. That is why I said "Small Hole." Anyway. My wife just called me a few minutes ago and as I write this I am on hold with Princess Cruises.

One of her luggage bags was broken into and done in a manner that it was not noticed until she was unpacking today (One day after the cruise) Lots of stuff missing! This cruise and Princess Cruise Lines IMHO just became the Cruise Line from H***!

Thanks for the review. I m glad I read the whole thing, because actually it did not sound so bad to me!!! I thought the way you described everything sounded like you should have given better marks.

I agree. I found the worst marks to be interesting.

A D for Entertainment. Which seemed to come from

1. The CD did not return the passenger's calls and had a dry sense of humor. I don't recall ever feeling a need to call the CD on a trip, and I like a dry sense of humor. I don't even remember any of the CD's I've had on other cruise lines.
  2. The passenger likes the Park West art auctions more. I have bought several pieces of art on Princess Cruises. I find the auctions far more entertaining and better priced (given the lower buyer's premium and the fact that the better pieces come framed) than on Celebrity (using Park West).
  3. Not enough singles events and fun at night. My experience is that Princess has more fun at night than Celebrity. If I were looking for fun at night, I'd probably wouldn't consider Celebrity, and wouldn't take most/all of my cruises with my mother, or want to hang out at the "Texas Holdem table each night till it closes each night"

A D for Activities. See above.

A D for Itinerary. Seems to be based on the fact that the weather prevented a stop in Bermuda, and the passenger wasn't offered a future discount on a cruise to Bermuda. I don't think that that is a realistic expectation.

If a critical look at these comments don't make you sceptical, has anyone read any of this persons other posts.

• On 12/12/05, he was 30
  • On 12/14/05, he was a 35 year old broadcasting executive
  • On 5/11/06, he was 35
  • On 5/28/06, he was looking at the Crown as his 35th B-day present
  • On 6/5/06, he was looking at the Crown as his 40 B-Day present
  • On 8/2/06, he was going through his midlife crisis at 39

I would suggest taking his posts with a grain of salt. Aside from that, it seems to me that the worst about Princess is that they are not Celebrity.

We were on this same cruise. And, if we go Princess again it will be solely for the itinerary. Not for the Princess line or ship experience. Full disclosure: this is our third cruise -- in a year -- and we're working our way through all the lines, so no loyalty issues to cloud our vision.

Now, we had a great time. We always have a great time no matter where or what. But BullDogAtl has some points. And I'm going to take this opportunity to add ours.

The good:

Loved the stateroom design with the open closet facing the bath. It was like a separate dressing room and eliminated the bashing doors we've had on other ships. The shower was teeny tiny. I don't see how the more robust passengers were able to use it.

The stage shows were the best we've seen so far. Usually we walk out on these, but not this cruise. The production values were good. However, the black caricature puppets in the Motown show were completely distasteful and disgraceful. Excellent comedians. I suspect BullDogAtl's complaint was with the clubs. One night we went out looking for fun about 11:30 PM, and every place was dead. Another passenger told us he felt stuck with one band as the only person in the place. He wanted to leave but felt a responsibility to be their audience. You have to have a certain number of people for a club to feel fun. Otherwise, it's just sad.

The service we received was excellent. This is where the ship truly shined IMHO.

The bad:

The layout of this ship is poor. No problem figuring it out, but there were only two public decks that went from on end of the ship to the other. You kept having to go up or down to get from front to back or vice versa. We mainly used stairs. Good thing -- while the Crown carries 50% more passengers than the other cruise lines we've been on, it had no more elevators and they were the smallest we've seen so far.

A number of the cruise director's staff were snotty and cheeky. One was downright rude to passengers repeatedly and I'll be writing Princess a letter about him.

All the ships we've been on had the station arrangement instead of lines for their buffet and we've really like it. The Crown seemed to want to do the same thing, but didn't allow adequate room for people to maneuver. The buffet was a complete disaster, made worse by the peculiar arrangement of items -- butter was next to cheese cubes instead of close to bread, for example. We only ate there once, but everytime we passed by it was complete chaos.

The main theatre was too small. A little advice here --- go to the 6th deck and to the left of the stage for best luck geting seats close to showtime.

The unfortunate:

Missing Bermuda was a disappointment and I can understand why making arrangements for another port was not practical. However, rather than going back slowly I wish we had zipped back and just stayed in port that last day. I always enjoy a chance to visit NYC.:D We didn't mind the motion of the ocean. In fact, we enjoyed it. When you're on the ocean it should feel like you're on the ocean. We were both amused by people who freaked at the least little movement.

Again, we had a great time. I just like to think making posts like this helps the industry to better serve its clients.

Now get this -- so far the cruise line that is #1 in our book is Carnival. Yep. So, now you guys can all just slam my taste. But it had the best food, the best stateroom, the best bedding, the best activities. And we could always get a chaise lounge right by the pool.Try that on the Crown!

I was also on the sailing and would rate it as an "A". The only thing that did not rate as and "A+" for me was the cruise director. Our cabin steward, Joe from the Phillipines" was excellent. We had anytime dining and never waited for a table. Our choices at dinner allowed us to experience wonderful food. We did feel that the food at Sabatini's and the Crown Grill was even better. We went to all three production show and the three performances by Sarge, and excellent comedian. Yes we were disappointed in missing Bermuda but thought the captain did an excellent job and made the correct decision. Monday's ride was interesting as we had never sailed during a storm. We will sail princess again and have one booked for November of 07. We never felt like we were on a ship with 3000 vacationers and 1000 crew. Even on Monday when most people were inside we did not feel crowded. It is amazing to me how much we can disagree about the same cruise. However we did not have the same stewards, same waiters, nor attended the same events. I never got to crooners and don't gamble so I can't rate those areas. I overate chocolate chip cookies and LOVED the variety of entertainment in the Piazza. We enjoyed all three ports including Grand Turk where we snorkeled with stingrays.

I posted a review on this thread also when I came home, but I want to add to yours and say that I absolutely agree with everything you say. This was, by far, one of the best cruises we've ever been on. I thought the cruise director did a great job. He was funny and personable and got the job done. I've had cd's who were more outgoing and energetic,but I thought he was very good.

I agree. I found the worst marks to be interesting.

A D for Entertainment. Which seemed to come from

1. The CD did not return the passenger's calls and had a dry sense of humor. I don't recall ever feeling a need to call the CD on a trip, and I like a dry sense of humor. I don't even remember any of the CD's I've had on other cruise lines.
  2. The passenger likes the Park West art auctions more. I have bought several pieces of art on Princess Cruises. I find the auctions far more entertaining and better priced (given the lower buyer's premium and the fact that the better pieces come framed) than on Celebrity (using Park West).
  3. Not enough singles events and fun at night. My experience is that Princess has more fun at night than Celebrity. If I were looking for fun at night, I'd probably wouldn't consider Celebrity, and wouldn't take most/all of my cruises with my mother, or want to hang out at the "Texas Holdem table each night till it closes each night"

A D for Activities. See above.

A D for Itinerary. Seems to be based on the fact that the weather prevented a stop in Bermuda, and the passenger wasn't offered a future discount on a cruise to Bermuda. I don't think that that is a realistic expectation.

If a critical look at these comments don't make you sceptical, has anyone read any of this persons other posts.

• On 12/12/05, he was 30
  • On 5/11/06, he was 35

I would suggest taking his posts with a grain of salt. Aside from that, it seems to me that the worst about Princess is that they are not Celebrity.

Good Research:D

There's no special touches on this ship .. No animal towels, no signing at dinner (until the last night), no nothing to make the staff special.

You know, I won't be going on my first cruise for 11 days so I’m sure I have no idea what I am talking about here, but every time I read a review and they complain about the lack of towel animals I immediately take all info in that review with a grain of salt.

I'm not directing this next comment to anyone in particular, so no flames please.

If the lack of "towel animals” ruins your day, all I have to say is “get a life”.

I......If a critical look at these comments don't make you sceptical, has anyone read any of this persons other posts.

• On 12/12/05, he was 30
  • On 5/11/06, he was 35

Point well taken.........

We too were on this cruise and I doubt we will sail Princess again. Celebrity does have more food choices and better food quality . IMHO, Celebrity staff are much more friendly as well. I think when the tips are already added in, there is less incentive for service! Although Princess pushes buying the "Coke cards" they do not want to service them once they sell them.

Sarge was the highlight of the entertainment.

We are well aware we booked in hurricane season, but there are many ports between St. Thomas and NYC! I agree staying nearer St. Thomas would have been a safer choice.

I never had a problem anywhere on the Diamond getting service for the coke card.

Archived