Summary of winning bids on Priceline

dmk

For August 2009 when should I start bidding for a Seattle hotel?

Thanks

Cathy

That's a great question to post on biddingfortravel.com. I tend to be impatient and would probably bid in the next couple of months (I tend to book my hotel as soon as possible after I book a cruise), but Sheryl on biddingfortravel will likely tell you to wait awhile. When you get to the site, click on Hotels, then complete a Bidding Assistance form and she will help you! :)

Thanks

Cathy

Personally, I wouldn't start bidding for quite a while because the room is non-refundable and your travel plans could change. I often start bidding three to four months ahead if I've made my vacation plans very early but I've also been known to book a cancellable backup and keep trying to bid right up till the last couple of weeks if the bidding is going too high early on.

I use Priceline almost exclusively and have had good luck as long as there isn't a huge event going on in the city on my dates.

I do exactly what goodml does.

Book a refundable backup and then book several months out on Priceline since its non-refundable. You're out that money if you cancel your trip.

If its a holiday week or like goodml said there's an event going on, move the timetable up.

$95/night for our stay for three nights, 10/11-10-14.

I started at $75 and used free bids to increment by $5 until it was accepted at $95. The published price on the Hyatt website for my stay was $235/night.

Just bid 65 and 70 for San Pedro at 3.5 stars..both declined for Nov 21st....when did they get to 3.5 stars rather than just 3?

Clay

I'm completely new to Priceline. We're also needing one night on November 21st. My family is all traveling on the Sapphire for Thanksgiving week. I'm trying to book 4 rooms and keep getting declines with each bid, starting (like you) at 65, then 70. I'd like to bid 75, but the site says i need to wait 24 hours before re-bidding? This seems kinda painful. Any advice???

I'm completely new to Priceline. I'd like to bid 75, but the site says i need to wait 24 hours before re-bidding? This seems kinda painful. Any advice

Yes, read the information on biddingfortravel.com and betterbidding.com. Priceline will be a breeze. It's the best way to get the full benefit from priceline.

We'll be getting into San Diego late the night before departure, so we're staying out of the downtown area to avoid parking fees, etc and save our pennies for the real vacation.

We'll drive down to a discount parking lot the next am, found through this website recommended by neecee23

http://www.longtermparking.com/california.htm#SDA

I'd never really noticed this thread before <duh> It's a great idea to have a place to post my winning priceline bid and not get slayed by a moderator that claims I bid $2 too much, and didn't use the(her) correct link to place the bid.

Omni San Diego - Dec 17/08 pre-cruise $98

I'd never really noticed this thread before <duh> It's a great idea to have a place to post my winning priceline bid and not get slayed by a moderator that claims I bid $2 too much, and didn't use the(her) correct link to place the bid.

Where did this happen:confused:

Omni San Diego - Dec 17/08 pre-cruise $98

It looks like some good deals are being made!

• 3 weeks later...
I'm completely new to Priceline. We're also needing one night on November 21st. My family is all traveling on the Sapphire for Thanksgiving week. I'm trying to book 4 rooms and keep getting declines with each bid, starting (like you) at 65, then 70. I'd like to bid 75, but the site says i need to wait 24 hours before re-bidding? This seems kinda painful. Any advice???

Only way around the 24 hour period is to sign in as a different user and try two more times. You may need to sign in on a different computer also so that Priceline doesn't recognise you. I guess given its a pre holiday weekend, there must not be much availablity as I am up to 85 bucks and still no winning bid. Looks like we may end up using our backup resdrvations at the Hoiday Inn!

Clay

Thanks

Cathy

I just put in my first bid today for a 3.5* in Chicago (pre-cruise trial run, LOL!). It was rejected. The good folks at http://www.biddingfortravel.com walked me through it. However, when my bids they suggested were rejected I was told that it was just too early and to try again in a month. I am not an expert, but it seems to me that 4 -6 weeks in advance is where the success is running. Am I right, everyone?

For our May cruise I have already got a hotel reserved that we can cancel and will try on Priceline much closer to the date.

We just got the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro for $75 plus taxes for 4 rooms on February 21st, 2009. This is the night before the Mariner of the Seas' first west coast cruise, so that may be why it didn't go for $65 like it has for others. We're still very happy!

FINALLY, got Priceline to accept a bid for San Pedro for the Friday night BEFORE Thanksgiving. After literally a month of trying every 24 hours, they accepted an $85 bid. Works out to be $100/night with all the fees and taxes...which is about what we had reserved at Holiday Inn without the taxes so nicer hotel for a little less money...I am pleased...not thrilled like I would have been if I could have gotten the $65 or $75 rate, but still happy!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Clay

...... what would you be if you were liike most of the other folks who typically get this hotel at 35-40% off?<grin>

Less euphoric, as you got it for 49.7% off. But, I know what you mean, I've also gotten rooms for close to 70% off. Those days are becoming fewer and fewer, although if the economy continues the way it's been going, maybe they will be coming back.

a report on the Doubletree (we are here now)

Nice hotel, tasty cookies, clean room, definatly using something in the lobby to create a smell when you enter so suspect they have a moisture problem they are trying to cover up...so if you are bothered by smells, you might want to not spend much time in the lobby. Very friendly and easy to get signed up for the shuttle to the cruise - be sure to do that as soon as you arrive, it is filling up fast. Also, it doesnt appear it is going to be a problem to make a run to get pre cruise sodas to carry on board.

I faxed them ahead of time with a room request for two beds but that didn't get into our portfolio but they didn't have a problem in finding us one.

Lobby has two computers which is what I am using to post this, buffet b'fast - haven't had it yet.

Clay

November 28th 2008 - First bid $65 for 3.5* San Pedro and it was rejected but said if I was will to raise by $17 dollars it would be accepted. I know Priceline was just joking with me so I used the Long Beach Airport as a free rebid zone, raised the price by $4.00 and won the Double Tree for $69. I'm pretty excited about this.

OBTW - I only bid about two weeks prior to the cruise.

Laura

Edited by lindberg
forgot to add an additional fact.