Summary of winning bids on Priceline

dmk

I just also got Red Lion, same date, same price as Phil did. Bid $74 downtown 4 star, rejected. Bid $74 downtown 3 star, accepted.

Thanks Phil for the info! I'm cruising HAL's 7-day Inside Passage leaving 5/11. But first, I get on the Carnival Spirit this Sunday for a 7-dayer to Cabo, Mazatlan, and La Paz. Hope you enjoy your Princess cruise!

Just got the Red Lion Hotel on Fifth Avenue Seattle for Saturday May 10, 2008, one night pre-cruise for a $74 bid.

Started with Downtown Seattle, 3 and 4 star, bid $54, rejected.

Added Lynwood, $64, rejected

Added Bothel, $74, accepted.

$28.50 in fees and taxes all in, $92.50.

Lowest rate at Red Lion site, $209 plus taxes.

Lowest rate at hotels.com, $194.50 plus taxes.

Janet, I live in San Diego and I'm now looking at the Priceline zones to try to help answer your question. I would say that Downtown/Airport is by far the best zone. The cruise pier is near both the airport and the downtown area, so that zone will be most convenient and also near many restaurants.

The La Jolla zone is mixed because La Jolla includes both hotels that are located within half a mile of the beach and close to the interesting La Jolla "village" area, such as the Hotel La Jolla At The Shores, and also hotels that are a 4-mile drive from those areas. I'm not sure I would pay up for that area unless you want to walk around La Jolla, which surely is interesting and pretty.

Mission Valley/Kearny Mesa will probably put you into the Hotel Circle area, which is an affordable place for hotels but not in walking distance to anything. You can get to reasonable restaurants with a cab ride. I would recommend King's Fish House in that area.

If I were coming to San Diego, I would probably just raise my bid on the Downtown/Airport zone until I got something, until the price got so high that I wanted to consider other zones. Keep in mind that cab fares to the other zones may offset any savings.

Thanks for visiting our beautiful San Diego! Hope you enjoy your cruise. I'll be driving downtown and getting on the Carnival Spirit this Sunday!

Hi,

We are thinking of cruising out of San Diego next year. Which zones are closest or best.

Thanks,

Janet

I've never bid on Priceline before. This really intrests me. We'll be cruising out of Long Beach in Jan 09. How far in advance or how close to the departing date should I start bidding?

We booked in February for our September trip...:)

I did Priceline and we already had the Seattle Sheraton pre-cruise for $110.

DH and I decided we would like to stay in Seattle for a night POST-cruise as well. So I went back to Priceline and got the Sheraton again, but this time for $91! I tried $86 last night with no luck and then again tonight....what a difference a day makes! ;)

My winning bid was $57.00 for the Holiday Inn Fishermans Wharf in SF. My Dates are 4-23-4-27. The 4 night total including tax was 270.71. I was actually bidding for a 2.5 star and was upgraded to a 3 star. Afterward I checked the online prices including the Holiday Inn and the cheapest room was 187.00 + tax per night. So I'm a happy camper.

CaribbeanCrazy

I got two rooms for $74 each on May 31rst at the Red Lion on 5th Ave. The normal prices are over $200 each. Seems like we got a great deal. I called the hotel just after I booked and they had me booked with King Size beds, but I was able to switch to 2 Queens in each room without a problem.

My winning bid was $57.00 for the Holiday Inn Fishermans Wharf in SF. My Dates are 4-23-4-27. The 4 night total including tax was 270.71. I was actually bidding for a 2.5 star and was upgraded to a 3 star. Afterward I checked the online prices including the Holiday Inn and the cheapest room was 187.00 + tax per night. So I'm a happy camper.

CaribbeanCrazy

BTW are you on the 4/27 sailing of the Mercury? If so see our Roll Call.

David

Interesting ... I just called to "confirm" my two Priceline hotels for next weekend ... Indy Adams Mark and SP Crown Plaza. Both told me that I had a reservation for a king room. I asked if they could switch me to a room with two beds or at least note it on the reservation, and both flatly told me NO, if you want to change, you need to contact Priceline. That was a first for me (refusing to at least make a note AND telling me to call Priceline if I wasn't happy) after using PL over 20 times in the last 3 years. Hopefully I'll have better luck at the desk in a week.

Has anyone used the bidding portion on priceline, etc for car rentals?

We want to rent one way from phx, az to san diego for a 5-22 cruise so that there isn't a parking fee for the car at the pier. And then get another car for the return trip.

Any ideas or has anyone done this as of yet?

Bidding Downtown with 4 free re-bid zones for a couple of days. At $97 dollar bid rejection, got an offer to add $22 to my bid. Decided to raise my bid by $11. I had 2 free re-bids left, so tried 1st at $105 which was rejected. Tried again at $108, and got it. Yahoo.

Based on a previous poster I bid $122 for a 4* Downtown Vancouver for 7/6; this bid was accepted. Previous bids of $100 and $110 were rejected.

Special thanks to floridatravelersforlife, now I get to stay at a 4* instead of a motel for the same price!:)

Based on a previous poster I bid $122 for a 4* Downtown Vancouver for 7/6; this bid was accepted. Previous bids of $100 and $110 were rejected.

Special thanks to floridatravelersforlife, now I get to stay at a 4* instead of a motel for the same price!:)

Which one did you get?