Do all Cruise ships rock as bad as Elation?

arcticcruiser

Sept 3 we boarded the Elation for the Eastern Carribean. The cruise was great, the service impeccable, and just overall a fantastic vacation. The only issue we had was the sea sickness, and over all rocking of the boat almost ever day of the 7 day cruise....it was really giving us both problems. On my previous Ecstacy cruise, felt no movement....this was terrible. Do they ALL rock that much??? I go deep sea fishing alot, and never get seasick. :confused:

I'm sorry you had trouble with it. We had a little rocking and rolling on our cruise but nothing bad enough to make me sick.

We have taken a few eastern cruises and in my opinion...it tends to be a rougher crossing than either the western, or the southern. I've been on a few ships where things were falling off hangers, stuff on the tables crashed to the floor, drawers fell out, and my hips were bruised from running into the rails in the halls.

How bad was yours?

All ships, all layouts, all sizes are subject to the mercy of the sea. Better luck next time.

We were on Elation Sept. 17th. There were som big swells from Hurricane Helena during part of the cruise in the Atlantic. Some sea sickness bags were left in various places. I never felt the least bit sick,and I did not notice any other passengers looking ill, though I suppose some were.

It is just part of being at sea. Some people are more susceptible to motion sickness than others. If you got sick before, see the pharmacist before your next cruise and get some meds or a patch or wristband.

I do not think Elation is any worse of a ride than any other ship out there.

I didn't have too bad of a time on Elation until the end of our cruise. We were in waters that Katrina was headed for, so the swells were quite substantial. The majority of our cruise was fine. I think that it is where you are in the ocean and what is going on in the water. Cruise ships today have stabalizers that help with the motion. You may just be sensitive like a lot of us, that's all.

Like Duck says, it's all relative to your seas.

You're on a boat; you're on the ocean. If you don't expect motion, you should stay on land.

And if you're worried about the motion, prepare yourselves with ammo.

And I don't think physically the Elation would perform any differently than her other 7 sisters.

Oddly enough there has only been one time that I felt sick enough that I thought I was going to lose my lunch. We were on the Majesty for our first cruise and we were docked in port, in Miami???:rolleyes:

Once we got out to sea and that ship was pitching and rolling, throwing all over the place...I was perfectly fine. Weird

Oh yeah, Once on the Glory too and that was a much bigger ship.

2mg Valium is better than any sea sickness medication on the market. 2mg's is just enough to mellow out the old equilibrium but not enough to make you sleepy.

I hope you have smooth sailing on your next cruise, but after our fisrt experience...if the ship wasn't moving we just didn't have as much fun.

Sept 3 we boarded the Elation for the Eastern Carribean. The cruise was great, the service impeccable, and just overall a fantastic vacation. The only issue we had was the sea sickness, and over all rocking of the boat almost ever day of the 7 day cruise....it was really giving us both problems. On my previous Ecstacy cruise, felt no movement....this was terrible. Do they ALL rock that much??? I go deep sea fishing alot, and never get seasick. :confused:

On those days, in those waters any similar ship would rock exactly the same. A smaller ship perhaps a bit more, a larger ship, perhaps a bit less. But still would be very much like the rocking you felt. The ocean condition causes the motion, not the ship. Almost all cruise ships are slab-sided, flat bottomed seagoing hotels and are similarly affected by conditions.

Dan

We were on the Elation four years ago and had one bad sea day due to a hurricane a few hundred miles away. The weather was clear but the seas were relatively high (15-17 foot swells). We were miserable that day (as were a majority of the other PAX) BUT like others have said, any ship would have bounced and bobbed that day so I certainly do not blame the Elation or the command crew.

Articcruiser: sorry about seasickness. Unfortunately, what you experienced is not uncommon but there are differences in ship design that can minimize movement. Several factors influence a ship's stability. Some captains are quicker to engage the ship's stabilizers than others...use of stablizers slows the ship down and eats up more fuel. Sometimes the captain will disengage the stabliziers during the night to make up time.

I've read where some of the mega Princess ships experience a fair amount of rolling...this is likely due to their height which presents a larger target for wind. Another important factor is the shape of the hull and the ship's draft...many of the newer cruise ships are more flat bottomed which tends to give a "bouncy" ride. Ocean liners (such as QE2 and QM2) have hulls that are designed to cut through waves rather than ride on top of them, providing a smoother ride. The draft of a ship can also influence the ride...the deeper the draft, the more stable the ship. The average cruise ship has a draft of 24 feet; an ocean liner (such as QM2) has a draft of 32 or 34 feet. We were on QM2 when Ernesto was stirring things up in the Northeast. We sailed out of NYC with 50 MPH winds and 20 foot swells...she rode like she was on train tracks with no rocking and a gentle pitching motion.

Some routes are also more "rocky" than others. Sailing out of New York City heading south (especially to Bermuda) is notorious for rough seas...the Cape Hatteras area can be especially bumpy. The Caribbean can be fickle as well...we did a 10 day Caribbean in 2004 and had smooth as glass seas until we left St Thomas...DH wound up going to the ship's doctor to get "the shot". On our cruise this September, he went prepared with Bonine (which worked very well for him).

Remember though that today's ships are extremely durable and stable. The ride may not be pleasant but there's very little (if any) danger to passengers.

We just returned today from the Elation and enjoyed the slightly rougher ride caused by the waves churned up by the hurricanes...I don't like glassy seas! However, the Elation is no different for motion than any other ship. We experienced a very rough ride on the Navigator of the Seas a few years ago returning from Cozumel; the ship actually "bucked" from the wind while docked in Cozumel! As many have already noted, some people are more sensitive to the motion.

Dr. Pu (me :D ) prescribes the following remedy:

Get a margarita in a plastic cup, preferably with a lid...go get in the pool, with your margarita...floating/bobbing/being in the pool water + drinking the margarita will mitigate the movement of fluid in your inner ear (which causes your feelings of motion sickness) that is caused by the motion of the ship and you will not get sick!

Okay -- I'm not a doctor (...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...), but this is the remedy I will try if I'm ever feeling queasy...:rolleyes:

Archived