Senior Discount

craigers

If a senior couple was traveling with a younger couple,is it ok to book one senior in each room to get the senior discount.Then when you are on board you just switch back?If this works, my only question would be,how do we get another key to the room since the other key left when the younger person went to the other room?Thanks Don

Yes, you can do that. When traveling with a group, we often "re-assign" cabins within the group after boarding. The cruise line could care less about who is sleeping in which cabin. As for the cabin keys, duplicates are easily obtained at the purser's desk. If you feel uncomfortable making the request, simply tell the attendant that the original key was lost or misplaced.

If you feel uncomfortable making the request, simply tell the attendant that the original key was lost or misplaced.

i wouldnt do that because the cruiseline might have to reset the codes to the door because the key card was missing -an unnecessary step for them -- and you would still have to ask for extra keycards

If a senior couple was traveling with a younger couple,is it ok to book one senior in each room to get the senior discount.Then when you are on board you just switch back?If this works, my only question would be,how do we get another key to the room since the other key left when the younger person went to the other room?Thanks Don

I think that is definitely tacky and totally dishonest. People who bend the "rules" make it harder for companies to offer things like senior discounts!

I think that is definitely tacky and totally dishonest. People who bend the "rules" make it harder for companies to offer things like senior discounts!

it's done all the time; the requirement for to get a senior discount is:one person in the cabin must be a senior. After the cabins are booked and paid for no one really cares. As for the key situation; that is quite another thing: I have no idea what to tell you other than switch keys and try and keep track of what is being spend and put on what card. I assume you are traveling with good friends or family. Is the senior discount all that great? Usually they really aren't worth all this bother. One way to work around the key and charge card thing: use 4 different cards; each one of you use your own; that way there will be no problems.NMnita

BTW: I am usually considered one of the most honest people around, too honest sometimes and still see nothing wrong with what they are attempting to do. NMnita

Why is that tacky??? Senior discounts require that only one person in a cabin be 55 or over. I ask again; why is that tacky?

We haven't done this, but I have read of MANY people doing this. What they did was once they were onboard they went to the purser and got the keys and credit cards all straightened out there.

There is nothing dishonest about this.

Why is that tacky??? Senior discounts require that only one person in a cabin be 55 or over. I ask again; why is that tacky?

Yes getting a senior rate because one person in the cabin is over 55 is fine provided the arrangement is real and stays for the entire cruise. But that wasn't what the original poster was asking.

To knowingly book the cabins with one person from the over 55 couple and with one person from the younger couple in each cabin wiwith the idea that once on board the arrangements would switch to enable you to save a couple of dollars is not only tacky but also dishonest.

This sort or cheating can ruin senior discounts for those that legitimately qualify as cruiselines may stop offering them if there is rampant cheating - just as they now require proof of age and residency for those type of discounts after there was a number of people sailing under those discounts that did not qualify (this happened just a few years ago).

Yes getting a senior rate because one person in the cabin is over 55 is fine provided the arrangement is real and stays for the entire cruise. But that wasn't what the original poster was asking.

To knowingly book the cabins with one person from the over 55 couple and with one person from the younger couple in each cabin wiwith the idea that once on board the arrangements would switch to enable you to save a couple of dollars is not only tacky but also dishonest.

This sort or cheating can ruin senior discounts for those that legitimately qualify as cruiselines may stop offering them if there is rampant cheating - just as they now require proof of age and residency for those type of discounts after there was a number of people sailing under those discounts that did not qualify (this happened just a few years ago).

I have known TAs to recommend this. IMHO, it would be cheating if no one in the party were that age, and then they would be busted at the pier.

Oh, well. We are each entitled to our opinions.

I have known TAs to recommend this. IMHO, it would be cheating if no one in the party were that age, and then they would be busted at the pier.

Oh, well. We are each entitled to our opinions.

you are right about TAs, well we may not suggest it (I don't) but I would book it that way without feeling like the cliants were cheating: I have done it, not only with senior discounts but others as well. This certainly isn't cheating. NMnita

......but I would book it that way without feeling like the clients were cheating: I have done it' date=' not only with senior discounts but others as well. This certainly isn't cheating.[/quote']

In my evaluation of this action, I think this word fits best. I know it is not a prosecutable action, but to some it presents a moral dilemma.

fraud–noun 1.deceit, trickery, sharp practice, or breach of confidence, perpetrated for profit or to gain some unfair or dishonest advantage. 2.a particular instance of such deceit or trickery3.any deception, trickery, or humbug: 4.a person who makes deceitful pretenses; sham; poseur.

In my evaluation of this action, I think this word fits best. I know it is not a prosecutable action, but to some it presents a moral dilemma.

fraud–noun 1.deceit, trickery, sharp practice, or breach of confidence, perpetrated for profit or to gain some unfair or dishonest advantage. 2.a particular instance of such deceit or trickery3.any deception, trickery, or humbug: 4.a person who makes deceitful pretenses; sham; poseur.

But, you are entitled to a cabin at senior rates if one person in the cabin is past 55: No one really cares who is in the cabin. They are cruising with another couple. If they were using phoney IDs to prove their age, yes, that is cheating. this isn't. Anymore than when families purchase 2 cabins: one for the kids, one for themselves. In order to do this they have to list a parent and a child in each cabin: Of course when they are on the ship no one really cares who is in which cabin. This is done constantly. Is that also cheating?

Victravellas, yes, you are entitled to a senior rate. The one thing we all need to remember, which is probably why I see nothing terribly wrong with this: the senior rates are always all that great. Sometimes there are better promos out there. If you think you will save 25% or more, no: maybe 10%. NMnita

Anymore than when families purchase 2 cabins: one for the kids, one for themselves. In order to do this they have to list a parent and a child in each cabin: Of course when they are on the ship no one really cares who is in which cabin. This is done constantly. Is that also cheating?

No that isn't cheating the cruise line out of revenue as you are still paying for 2 full passenger rates per cabin.

I still feel that the original posters scenerio is cheating ior as chaset put it "fraud" as it cheats the cruiseline out of revenue which eventually costs all of us in higher prices.

when booking DIRECTLY with the cruiseline, they are the ones that suggested doing that exact thing? My experience was with a past guest discount. They are the ones that said to book the past guests in different rooms for the discount and then re-arrange with the purser once onboard.

If the cruiseline itself recommends the practice, how can it be dishonest or fraud? :confused:

I agree with those who think it is dishonest. If the policy states that the senior discount requires that a senior be in the cabin, then that's how it should be.

Are they allowed to leave the cabin during the cruise? Or would that disqualify the senior discount? Guess there will be a lot of room service in that cabin.

They are cruising with another couple. If they were using phoney IDs to prove their age, yes, that is cheating. this isn't.

So.......phony IDs are wrong and that is cheating...........but a phony relationship is not.........I do not see the difference.........both are phony......:)

So.......phony IDs are wrong and that is cheating...........but a phony relationship is not.........I do not see the difference.........both are phony......:)
a fake Id claims there is someone in the cabin or where ever that is a certain age: if this isn't the case that is wrong: I know what you are saying but I do see a difference. AS someone memtioned earlier, the cruise lines themselves suggest you split the cabins up. This is true with many discounts they offer. As long as one person fit the requirements the line doesn't care and they really could care less who is in what cabin. Plus, as I mentioned: the discounts really are not all that spectacular. That is why the lines themselves don't really pay much attention to this. NMnita

Do you have to ask for that discount? If you book a cruise when you are 54, but will be 55 when taking that cruise, do you get the senior discount?

Yes, you need to ask for the discount.

As long as you are 55 by the day the ship sails, you are considered a senior. (and I don't consider this old at all!)

According to RCI's website: "Please note: An individual's age on the date of sailing determines his or her status for the entire cruise vacation. Royal Caribbean International does not accept bookings for student groups. Please consult a travel agent for Royal Caribbean's group policies. "

Archived