Such horrible food

bartleby112

My guess is it's a liability issue. They flat-out declined to prepare me a medium burger at the grill. I remember there being signs posted about the health risks related to undercooked eggs, though they willingly prepared runny 'over-easies' (ugh! :p ); I can't recall if there was a similar sign about undercooked beef.

They can't serve it to you less than medium because they are previously frozen (not fresh)... I do believe. Burgers that is...

I am running into the problem which my friends and my cruise for the 21st of Oct. The one friend doesn't think he has his suit any more. So i am thinking if we all can't get dressed up, none of us will. Cause i don't think it would be right if he just had a nice button down shirt and black slacks. Unless some of you would think that to be appropriate for dinner on formal night.

My personal opinion - Every man should own at least one suit at all times. (Sounds horrible, but you never know when you have to go to a funeral - one of my BF's close relatives died suddenly & he was asked to be a pall bearer & there he was, having to rush around buying a suit.)

Anyway - have your friend buy a suit - or at the very least, buy a very nice sport coat. On nights other than formal nights, no jackets or suits should be needed at all (even tho they are nice). And the rest of you should feel free to be as dressy as you want. My first cruise, most (not all) of the men in our group wore tuxes for formal nights. (We belong to a theatre group that does concerts, so the guys who perform own tuxes.) The other men wore suits. On non formal nights, some wore suits or sport coats, while others just wore nice shirts. The ladies wore everything from fancy cocktail dresses & gowns to pant suits. We did not "dress down" to the least dressy person.

The problem with not all dressing up, means you really shouldn't go to the dining room on formal nights with no jackets. Why should you all give up that experience just because one guy doesn't own a jacket? He'll be glad later he has one!

Sha

My personal opinion - Every man should own at least one suit at all times. (Sounds horrible, but you never know when you have to go to a funeral - one of my BF's close relatives died suddenly & he was asked to be a pall bearer & there he was, having to rush around buying a suit.)

Anyway - have your friend buy a suit - or at the very least, buy a very nice sport coat. On nights other than formal nights, no jackets or suits should be needed at all (even tho they are nice). And the rest of you should feel free to be as dressy as you want. My first cruise, most (not all) of the men in our group wore tuxes for formal nights. (We belong to a theatre group that does concerts, so the guys who perform own tuxes.) The other men wore suits. On non formal nights, some wore suits or sport coats, while others just wore nice shirts. The ladies wore everything from fancy cocktail dresses & gowns to pant suits. We did not "dress down" to the least dressy person.

The problem with not all dressing up, means you really shouldn't go to the dining room on formal nights with no jackets. Why should you all give up that experience just because one guy doesn't own a jacket? He'll be glad later he has one!

Sha

Though in my opinion, if you're not really the "dressing up" type and/or are on a limited budget, a navy blazer might be a slightly more useful investment than a suit.

PLEASE don't ruin jerk chicken by putting BBQ sauce on it! LOL!!!!!!
Actually, it was the woman sitting across from me that was whining how she didn't like the chicken and she wished she had some BBQ sauce. I suggested she try some ketchup instead and got a real funny look from her. My chicken had accidently rolled into the ketchup and actually tasted slightly better. A slathering of my DW's homemade BBQ or rockymountain sauce would have made us both alot happier. Although, I really enjoyed HMC (and NO we didn't rent a cabanna). Looking forward to returning in Dec with HAL. I know where to go and what to do now.

The poster was talking about people wearing jean shorts and tshirts, which aren't allowed in the dining room... they shouldn't have been allowed in. It's called etiquette, some get it... some don't. I feel the same way when I go into a restaurant on land that has a dress code... difference being, most land based resorts/restaurants do enforce the dress code. It doesn't bother me, there are people who lack class and etiquette everywhere, not just on a ship. Nothing you can do about it...

As for the food... it's decent food for mass preparation... of course not the best, but I don't expect the best. Sometimes I get a meal that I consider quite good... sometimes eh, not so much... but I don't cruise for the food. There is always something on the ship that can satisfy my appetite... I eat to live, rather than the other way around, so I'm not so picky :D

I hate to tell you this but having class has nothing to do with the way you dress.;) Now following rules if there is a dress code is one thing but to say you have class by the way you dress is way off base. Most people know this.

But I just wanted medium. You can make a medium burger from a frozen pattie.

If I recall correctly FDA guidelines call for an internal temperature of at least 160 degrees Fahrenheit for ground beef. Medium is around 160, according to them. (Personally I prefer a medium around 155.) Since meat continues to cook after it is removed from the heat source, the burger would have to go from the stove / grill to your mouth at almost light speed :) .

It takes a quality ingredient, a well trained staff with the proper equipment, i.e. digital instant read thermometers, and knowledgeable management policies to safely serve a truly medium burger from frozen meat. Most establishments like to err on the side of extreme caution. Its also cheaper to cook the heck out of ground beef - saves on thermometers and insurance.

I hate to tell you this but having class has nothing to do with the way you dress.;) Now following rules if there is a dress code is one thing but to say you have class by the way you dress is way off base. Most people know this.

I think you may have misread Cruisin's post --

I feel the same way when I go into a restaurant on land that has a dress code... difference being, most land based resorts/restaurants do enforce the dress code. It doesn't bother me, there are people who lack class and etiquette everywhere, not just on a ship.

It doesn't seem that she's in any way equating class with clothes, but rather class with an ability & willingness to follow posted dress codes. :D

My daughter had red meat EVERY night of our 7 nighter in September on the Elation. She orders medium rare all the time and every night was very happy with her meat - and she used to work until recently in a Zagat rated restaurant. In fact, the night we had beef wellington, she just wanted a filet. Our lovely waiter - Robert - searched out one and got it for her.

My meals were always great - even those on the Spa menus. The lavender dessert is making me drool as we speak.

Martha

Elation 09/06

Triumph 10/14/06 - Yeah!

Can we please get back to talking about the horrible food?:eek:

How about that deep fried (very old) escargot? The only thing worse was the other way they prepared it. I never had escargot I didn't like before. What a disappointment! Really looked forward to it when I saw it on the menu. I do normally get some enjoyment out of eating beyond mear survival. But if you just eat to live, I suppose the food on Carnival would serve that purpose.

Consistently the best food & service I've experienced has been on Carnival - especially Holiday's pastries. NCL is next with RCCL in third and Celebrity a close fourth. Nothing but opinions on this subject no matter which cruise line board you look at. Some swear by Carnival/Celebrity etc., others just swear at them. You'll have to make your own determination and individual likes/dislikes & taste have a lot to do with it, but my vote for best food goes to Carnival hands down.

My daughter had red meat EVERY night of our 7 nighter in September on the Elation. She orders medium rare all the time and every night was very happy with her meat - and she used to work until recently in a Zagat rated restaurant. In fact, the night we had beef wellington, she just wanted a filet. Our lovely waiter - Robert - searched out one and got it for her.

My meals were always great - even those on the Spa menus. The lavender dessert is making me drool as we speak.

Martha

Elation 09/06

Triumph 10/14/06 - Yeah!

Of course that is true for the beef as it is not previously frozen... you can order a steak rare if you want (although I've rarely had mine actually come rare :() but when talking about the burgers, that is different... they are previously frozen, and if she got one of those red... that would be a different story, and a scary one :p

Just off the Legend last week and we were not impressed with the selections on the menu in the dinnng room for dinner. What we chose to eat could have been better. The filet was small and dry. However, the Golden Fleece offered the best filet we have ever had! What a difference between the two. We also enjoyed the omlets in the morning and the deli station for lunch. The pizza was good also. :o

Of course that is true for the beef as it is not previously frozen... you can order a steak rare if you want (although I've rarely had mine actually come rare :() but when talking about the burgers, that is different... they are previously frozen, and if she got one of those red... that would be a different story, and a scary one :p

Just saying that she had beef (not chicken or fish) every night. Someone else said that the beef (or "red" meat) wasn't any good.

Never would eat a burger rare (well okay - did have tartar once but that was pre-scare days).

Martha

Elation 9/10-9/17/06

Triumph 10/14-10/21/06

Just saying that she had beef (not chicken or fish) every night. Someone else said that the beef (or "red" meat) wasn't any good.

Never would eat a burger rare (well okay - did have tartar once but that was pre-scare days).

Martha

Elation 9/10-9/17/06

Triumph 10/14-10/21/06

No, I dont like my burgers rare either, LOL!! But I do like them about medium rare... I grind my own meat for burgers and LOOOOVE frequenting places that do the same so they can cook it to my liking :D

I've had decent beef on the ship... as mentioned, the supper club has wonderful beef.. there is no comparison!!

Overall, I thought the food on Carnival was very good each cruise I have been on. I would never rate it anywhere near 'horrible'. Some dishes I liked better than others, but nothing was bad (well, maybe the french toast on the lido deck.)

If you eat a lot from the trough on the lido then after a week, I can see getting pretty tired of it. Best advice there is to get dressed and go have brreakfast or lunch in the dining room when it is offered. Don't even think of skipping dinner in the dining room if you care about food.

But I just can't understand people who complain that ALL the food on the ENTIRE ship was bad... that is just not credible.

If you are looking for first-class fine dining, the supper club is the way to go. You won't find it in the regular dining room. But really, for the price you are paying, about $100 per person for a 24 hours of meals, room, entertainment, and ports of call, what more would one expect in the way of food?

If you are looking for first-class fine dining, the supper club is the way to go. You won't find it in the regular dining room. But really, for the price you are paying, about $100 per person for a 24 hours of meals, room, entertainment, and ports of call, what more would one expect in the way of food?

EXACTLY!!! I'm not sure what people expect, LOL!!!

Are you kidding? I expect:

A box of Godiva chocolates on my pillow each night

Haagen Dazs in the ice cream machines

Complimentary glass of Dom Perignon at each meal

Unlimited shrimp cocktails

Hot food room service...

Oh, and I notice the price of my cruise dropped another $25.00 -- how can I make sure I get the OBC?

:D

Just got off the Legend a week ago. Each time we ordered meat we were told we could only get it either Medium Rare of Medium Well, which was fine with me. I'm a Medium Rare person all the way. Each one of my meat dishes, Roast Beef, Filet, Beef Wellington, was delicous, perfect, tender and Medium Rare. I didn't have a bad meal at all. Even the escargot, which was not prepared the way I am used to, was so good I ordered seconds. Only time I did...except for the Lobster, of course.

I've been on Norwegian, RCCL and Carnival. I love to eat and don't find Ponderosa, Appleby, TGIF or any of these chain restaurants up to my taste. I thought the food on the Legend was superb. We had a table of 12 and only one time did someone not like his dinner. It was prime rib on the 1st night and he said it was tough and ordered something else which he thought was great.

To each his own.

I thought I was the only one who liked the lavender dessert LoL! Everyone else at my table looked at it with disgust. I loved the Spa items too! The quail was fantastic. That said, I don't remember ever having a horrible meal on Carnival. Some things I do not really care for - namely the desserts. Besides the lavender souffle, nothing else was memorable. In my opinion, the new menu hasn't improved much, even with Georges' items. I'm always too stuffed for dessert anyway so not that big a deal.

I agree with the majority who say that the breakfast buffet is the same old - my friend says that Princess does it way better. The danish is usually hard and stale but the exact same danish in the dining room is sooooo good.

Though in my opinion, if you're not really the "dressing up" type and/or are on a limited budget, a navy blazer might be a slightly more useful investment than a suit.

I f you do not wish to lay out $$ for suit/tux/blazer..please just go to your nearest Thrift /Goodwill/Salvation Army, and get fitted to your liking,,with previous..Hubby Has a nice tux..$35 from Thrift Store in alaska..Blazer from church thrift, Sport jac from similar..both of these were $4 and still had dry cleaner tik on them,,also tux shirt all starched..$3..ties $1 to $2..ea..he thinks I'm a fab shopper..and oh yes..I have quite a nice wardrobe myself ! it takes a few minutes of your time, and fewer dollars..then you have a jac for almost any occaision. Voi La you are also dressed for a cruise too.And look soooo verrry handsome doing so. Have Chico's Tommy, all in very nice condition..Catholic shops are very good for name brands...Daaling

Just an example of how subjective food is.... I found Carnival food to be better than Celebrity!

I'm afraid to admit it but I also liked Carnival's food better than Celebrity's, in the dining room anyway. I thought Celebrity's waffle station was great and I loved their buffets and dessert station. Carnival's desserts weren't nearly as good so I tend to gain less weight (which is a good thing ;) )

I thas been nine months since I was on the Glory. Some things were under or over cooked. Daughter ordered a steak mr, it came wd. I ordered prime rib mr, it came rare. The meat quality was good, it was the preparation that was erratic. I was also dissappointed that mushroom risotto (with the lobster) was never offered, nor was the wonderful sweet and sour shrimp.

However, most of the food in the dining room was good to great. The deli and pizza are always good, as is the last sea day menu of chinese food. It is worth noting that the lunch in the dining room is often good, especially the chicken parmesan.

Archived