Not Completely Understanding Price Drops?

vacation fool

Have about 4 cruises under my belt but have to admit all of this talk of price reductions has me a bit confused. I have a 2008 cruise booked with a discount travel agency. Their price is about $300 dollars under what Princess has online as an early discount. Does this mean that if Princess drops their rate any amount at all-then my travel agency should again discount my rate for that amount as well? Have read all the posts on this subject but no one ever mentions if their rate was lower than Princess's in the first place. My cruises were 1996-2001 so i guess i am a newbie to this concept. Appreciate all comments, learning alot from joining cruisecritic!:)

The answer is no. Just because Princess lowers their price doesn't mean your TA has to lower their price. If the price Princess advertised was lower than what you paid, then I'd certainly ask the TA about a discount.

Pricing is a tricky business. Many times when the price goes down then your TA can get that lower price for you. After final payment is made, this is harder to do. Last-minute fare drops (done in an effort to fill the ship) are most often noted as "for new bookings only." So if you have a booking, you would have to cancel and rebook. However, the cabin you had will likely be gone in a flash. Someone else, or many, are on a waiting list for a higher grade cabin ... so once yours becomes available it's gone. I don't recommend cancelling and rebooking.

But if you see a significant price drop, ten percent or more, then by all means ask your TA to contact the cruise line and get you the lower fare. Never hurts to ask.

Have about 4 cruises under my belt but have to admit all of this talk of price reductions has me a bit confused. I have a 2008 cruise booked with a discount travel agency. Their price is about $300 dollars under what Princess has online as an early discount. Does this mean that if Princess drops their rate any amount at all-then my travel agency should again discount my rate for that amount as well? Have read all the posts on this subject but no one ever mentions if their rate was lower than Princess's in the first place. My cruises were 1996-2001 so i guess i am a newbie to this concept. Appreciate all comments, learning alot from joining cruisecritic!:)

Hi...

Our cruise was discounted $356 the other day in an inside room....we got the discount because I called the TA & got her to check it...our HUGE group of over 90 people are going in Feb. on the Sun but they didn't get the discount because it was only for Georgia residences. My parents have paid their fare in full but our TA told us they would get a check back from Princess. It never hurts to check if you notice a drop on the internet.

Have a great cruise....

when looking at the Princess pages for a price drop-- always log in. I learned that this past week when I was looking at the prices that were always higher then what I paid-- then I logged in to see the price was dropped almost 700 less then what we paid. Seems Princess is having a resident sale that I was entitled to. So log in when checking prices.

(not all agents allow any changes to be made to a booking. Its one of the questions I ask before I book with any agent.

I'm still learning, but am finding that there is a critical difference in whether the price drops either before or after final payment. We booked and paid last summer for a Thanksgiving cruise. At about 60 days before my upcoming Panama Canal cruise I started rechecking prices. I found that the price of a BB balcony was $50 less pp that what we paid for a G obstructed outside (a 15 category difference). The cabin I was originally booked could now be had for about $2,300 for my family of 3 instead of the $3,300 we paid. Called the TA who called Princess, absolutely no way were they refunding any $$$. How about an upgrade to what I could book at this time? No way. "Flash promotion for new bookings only, is there any thing else we can help you with?" Yeah. I've tried several requests but all they are offereing is a puny upgrade up a few levels in outside cabins is what they offered. 3 weeks later and balconies are still cheaper than what I'm paying for my low level outside room. So much for being a treasured repeat passenger. It's really making me regret the whole cruise. Princess pops out the cheapest prices about 60 days before the cruise, because at that point if you cancel they keep 50%. Otherwise, your TA can cancel and rebook at lower rate with no penalty to Princess. I wish you all better luck than I'm having.

I'm still learning, but am finding that there is a critical difference in whether the price drops either before or after final payment. We booked and paid last summer for a Thanksgiving cruise. At about 60 days before my upcoming Panama Canal cruise I started rechecking prices. I found that the price of a BB balcony was $50 less pp that what we paid for a G obstructed outside (a 15 category difference). The cabin I was originally booked could now be had for about $2,300 for my family of 3 instead of the $3,300 we paid. Called the TA who called Princess, absolutely no way were they refunding any $$$. How about an upgrade to what I could book at this time? No way. "Flash promotion for new bookings only, is there any thing else we can help you with?" Yeah. I've tried several requests but all they are offereing is a puny upgrade up a few levels in outside cabins is what they offered. 3 weeks later and balconies are still cheaper than what I'm paying for my low level outside room. So much for being a treasured repeat passenger. It's really making me regret the whole cruise. Princess pops out the cheapest prices about 60 days before the cruise, because at that point if you cancel they keep 50%. Otherwise, your TA can cancel and rebook at lower rate with no penalty to Princess. I wish you all better luck than I'm having.

Them's the rules....

We all know on some of the itineraries there will be last minute promotional discounts we how book earlier cannot have. We all could choose to wait and hope to cash in, but the chance is we could be left at the gate.

You will always be able to find someone who got a better deal. Airlines are even worse as far as the range of fares people pay. Try getting them to give the whole airplane the "cheapest" fare. That is what you are expecting the cruise line to do.

Has nothing to do with being a "treasured repeat passenger".

for a G obstructed outside (a 15 category difference). The cabin I was originally booked could now be had for about $2,300 for my family of 3 instead of the $3,300 we paid. Called the TA who called Princess, absolutely no way were they refunding any $$$. How about an upgrade to what I could book at this time? No way. "Flash promotion for new bookings only, is there any thing else we can help you with?" Yeah. I've tried several requests but all they are offereing is a puny upgrade up a few levels in outside cabins is what they offered. 3 weeks later and balconies are still cheaper than what I'm paying for my low level outside room. So much for being a treasured repeat passenger. It's really making me regret the whole cruise. Princess pops out the cheapest prices about 60 days before the cruise, because at that point if you cancel they keep 50%. Otherwise, your TA can cancel and rebook at lower rate with no penalty to Princess. I wish you all better luck than I'm having.

I notice you say you have a family of 3, which may be why they could not upgrade you. Cabins that hold 3 or 4 or very limited and during holidays tend to be booked up very early. Usually if you see the lower fare, even if it is a flash they will try to accomodate you in the higher category if they can. You are correct that Princess has specials on ships that are not filled just before or after final payment. Always have your agent check before final payment to see if fares have changed. If you are in a triple or quad cabin then they are usually not able to re-accomodate you. The rates can change many times from the time you book until final payment. There are early booking rates, group rates(with an travel agency), past passenger rates, regional rates, special email directed to certain passenger rates, and finally flash promos to help fill a ship that is not fully booked. I hope this helps you understand why it was probably not possible to upgrade you anymore than what they offered you. FQTCruiser

Pricing is such a messy subject because of the complications (as noted by others) with upper-berth cabins, final payment dates, short-notice promotions and regional promotions. Princess is very consistent with their policies, although there will always be a few exceptions noted.

The key is to make sure that when you book, you are willing to pay the price for that cabin. It does pay to check pricing before final payments are due, or at least have a TA that checks pricing routinely. After final payment, there is little to be gained by arguing for a lower price - it doesn't hurt to ask, but don't get miffed if the answer is no.

And sure as death and taxes, there will always be some ding-dong on board who got a fantastic bargain that has to tell EVERYONE they meet about it...:)

P.S. - Under some group bookings, your fare might be fixed regardless of when the price changes. You might not even be aware that you are booked in group space.

Many more times than not these days, it can work the exact opposite. My last three cruises were so booked that the rates in the last 60 days were nearly triple what I had paid 9 months earlier.

Remember that nearly all fares are locked in when purchased with the airlines.

At least the cruise lines will usually pass on price decreases to already booked passengers up to the full payment due date.

And many times I've seen those who booked early and paid more given the most favorable upgrades.

Cececole: I feel your pain....100%. I'm going on the Star on 10/21. Booked the trip about 3 months ago. Not too long after final payment, the rate dropped 3 times in a week and a half....to about 40% less than what I paid. OMG...I went crazy. In short, it's actually pretty simple: If the price drops b/4 final payment, they will honor it, but not afterward. And cancelling and rebooking does you know good b/c you're already into cancellation penalties at that point.

ChaseTF: I'm somewhat new to cruising. How do you know what itineraries may offer better deals down the road?

Cececole: I feel your pain....100%. I'm going on the Star on 10/21. Booked the trip about 3 months ago. Not too long after final payment, the rate dropped 3 times in a week and a half....to about 40% less than what I paid. OMG...I went crazy. In short, it's actually pretty simple: If the price drops b/4 final payment, they will honor it, but not afterward. And cancelling and rebooking does you know good b/c you're already into cancellation penalties at that point.

ChaseTF: I'm somewhat new to cruising. How do you know what itineraries may offer better deals down the road?

Does Princess NOT offer price reductions if their prices come down after finalpayment?? I am aware that some agents do not give it up after payment--but what if you book directly with the cruiselines??

I learned this valuble lessone long ago-- if the agent wont give me any reductions after final payment I will find someone else who will.

If Princess does not offer it I may have to reconside the cruiselines. I like booking inadvance.

(PS-- Only one of my cruises ever came down in price)

No, they don't. Trust me....I went through quite an ordeal speaking with everyone under the sun. Typically after final payment they'll run "flash fare promotions," which are for new bookings only, and they WILL NOT issue a refund after final payment if you've already booked. I actually was able to get an onboard credit, but it wasn't nearly equivalent to the total price drop.

Now that I know the rules, I'm ok with it, but I didn't appreciate being misinformed. I had called Princess b/4 I booked and asked specifically if they would honor the lower price should the price drop and they said, "Yes. That is our guarantee." I suppose they would do it if it's not a "flash fare," but let's face it...chances are, any price drops after final payment are going to be listed as "flash fares." I booked thru a TA, but it wouldn't have made a difference if I had booked thru Princess directly. I spoke with several customer relations people at Princess who were all quite adamant about the Princess's policy....

Real Deal, I had the very same experience as you did. I was going to book through an internet TA but called to ask Princess some questions and they insisted that they would meet the internet TA's price should it drop. I was sceptical and told them I wanted to wait and see if the price dropped and they pressured me to call the TA and book right away, and like you, they insisted it was there policy. Well, the price dropped $500. per person and the internet TA kept phoning Princess but they wouldn't honor the price. If you phone right now and ask if they will honour a lower price, they will say yes. If you phone right now and say you already had a problem with them not meeting the lower price, they will say that they don't do that. It doesn't matter if you get the person's name or speak to a Manager, they won't admit they were wrong or give you any refund. I spoke with another TA in the internet office and he said that many cruise lines will honour the lower price, but not Princess. I will tell you I am taking legal action against them, as this was not the only issue they misled me about.

Spongerob: Sorry, but no, Princess will not honor a lower price if it drops after final payment and is considered a "flash fare." I went thru he** with them and was told this repeatedly. Doesn't matter if you go thru an agent or Princess. My agent was more than happy to meet the price drop b/4 final payment (and did) because Princess honored it. With my agent, anyway, it's not up to them...it's up to Princess, as I learned during several 3-way calls with my agent AND Princess.

Bob Barclay: You're not kidding that the Princess's agent's name won't help. I got the person's name, gave it to the Princess customer care person, and she responded, "Well, do you have her extension?" OMG...I said, "Um...no, and I don't have her social security number either. Why don't you look it up in the directory on your desk?" Good luck on your law suit!!! Perhaps it would help if you are able to record several conversations in which you are given incorrect information...I wish I had.

Again, I understand their policy NOW, but this is clearly not what I was told on SEVERAL occasions by Princess reps.

No problem! I just wish they would disseminate accurate information. At first I said I would not cruise with them again, but it turns out I'm going to. I thoroughly enjoyed my Alaska cruise in June & am off on the Star to Canada this Saturday, and then probably on the Grand in January. I spent hours on phone calls over this and somehow they seem to have no accountability for giving out less than accurate info.

Real - did you book your cruise with Princess??

soundslike it ws jsut a sale you fell upon--or did the webpage reflect the price drop??

whats the incentive to book early if they drop the price later?

whats the incentive to book early if they drop the price later?
One, you get the best choice of cabins if that is important to you. Two, there is no guarantee that prices will fall. Three, if you have to plan your vacations well in advance, short-notice "deals" might not be accessible anyway due to work or family constraints.

I've often seen prices go up significantly after booking well in advance. And as noted, as long as you can catch price reductions before final payments are made, a good TA can often get you the lower price - sometimes without having to give up the cabin you have selected.

One should NEVER count on price reductions when booking. After final payment, I recommend not even paying attention to whatever is out there, because the vast majority of the time those will be "new bookings only" deals.

I have found that the best way I will get a price reduction is:

A. If it occurs before final payment is due.

B. The same room category that I have booked has been reduced. (Many price reductions are only for certain room categories).

Also here is a tip on how to keep up with Princess prices. When you book with a TA, also check the Princess site to see what the price you would have got if you booked directly with them. Keep a record of that Princess web site price. Check the Princess web price every now and then - also watch out for Princess fliers that may list your booked cruise. If you see that the same category room that you have booked has gone down significantly, call your TA, chances are they can get you a price reduction. But your TA, must be willing to go to this extra effort for you.

Spongerob sounds correct on all counts. In my case, though, I had tons of flexibility with regard to date, cabin, etc...didn't need air, so that wasn't an issue. I only booked when I did b/c I was told I would get the lower price should it dropped. Now I'm out about $600 (and that's AFTER the credit they gave me!).

Serene56: I booked thru a TA, but that wasn't the issue. Princess has to agree to honor a price drop in order for the agent to do it. What I fell upon was considered a "flash fare"....came out a good 7 weeks before sailing, but of course after final payment.

BTW, is it ever cheaper to book directly with Princess? I've never found that to be the case...Wondering what the advantage is.

BTW, is it ever cheaper to book directly with Princess? I've never found that to be the case...Wondering what the advantage is.
You can almost always get better pricing through an agent. In fact, this is one area where Princess shines compared to other lines. Agents have some flexibility in their pricing and do not have pricing levels or other incentives dictated by Princess.

Not all agents or agencies are cut from the same cloth. Some have cancellation penalties, for example, even if you cancel before final payments are due. Others, I'm afraid to say, might resort to telling people what they want to hear in order to secure a booking. There are lots of good ones out there, too. I think the best thing to do is get together with other CC'rs on board and find out their experiences with different agencies.

One thing I've found is to look not just at the category you've booked, but at higher categories as well. We were able to move from a BD to a BA cabin on the Grand three years ago at a better price. And once we switched from an inside to an obstructed view on the Star Princess for the same price. Both were before final payment date.

For our upcoming Christmas cruise, we booked after final payment date at a good price. Currently, the price for our category of cabin has risen $520 pp (but there are some higher categories that are more than what we paid but still not that much). I look because I'm curious to how our cruise is selling and because we haven't been assigned a cabin yet. But the price we paid was the price we were willing to pay--and I don't expect to pay less if someone else is able to get a better last-minute deal.

Archived