Star Princess

1bigsexy

Good Morning,

W're thinking about booking a western caribbean cruise for Jan 2007 on the Star Princess. We've been on RCL before and would like to give Princess a try. Can anyone tell me if they have "movis under the stars" on the Star princess. Though a they have a good website, it's very difficult to get individual questions answered by Princess. Also, does anyone know if there is wirless internet and if they have the option where you can purchase the internet connection for your stateroom? Any other tips, advice or things we should be aware off for the the Star Princess would be greatly appreciated.

We've got the crusie fever again:cool:

Thanks for your help.

p.s. our other option is a southern caribbean cruise out of San Juan (princess or RcL) but we've only read bad things about the entire process in San Juan.

my suggestion would be the crown or grand or caribbean,these have movies under the stars,are bigger newer,and have a few more things than the older smaller ships,sorry i like the bigger ships for size and for things to do and the resturaunts:))

I have to agree, CB & Crown do offer a lot more than the Star.

Why not first check out which ship sails the western caribbean than go by price, of what you can afford.

Star does not have MUTS nor the Seafood Buffet, and has less lounges.

The Southern cruise was one of my favorites. San Juan wasn't as bad as I thought. I flew in the day of departure with no problems. If a longer flight to San Juan is no problem for you, why don't you give this thought. Which ship sails out of here that you're thinking of?

Headed to the Star Princess during Thanksgiving week. Have no reservations whats so ever heading to this cruise. The Star is one of the "Grand Class" ship of which we have been on a few. They are wonderful ships which are designed to accomadate a large number of passengers in a comfortable manner. Lot's of 0ptions for dinner, or a show, the "Grand Class" ships have become the favorites of Suzie and I. We are also booked on the Crown out of San Juan in February. We have sailed out of San Juan a number of times and have enjoyed our time in San Juan on all occasions. Please don't let someones minor inconvience deter you from either cruise. It's all good. Look at the positives of each itinerary, and each ship, and choose your cruise based on your preference. I guarantee you will have a wonderful time. Remember. "If you want your vacation to be just like home, then stay home" Enjoy the adventure!

Islandfan

I just finished talking to Princess because my boyfriend and I are headed for our first cruise (woo hoo) for my graduation from grad school (whew) on Dec 16th. I got a hold of them and they confirmed today that there are no MUTS which was a real bummer. Ah well, I guess we'll have to think of something else to do....:)

Meanwhile, I'm looking to make some friends on the ship ahead of time. If you hear of anyone, send them my way. We're in theater and music so we're a pretty fun duo.

Take care,

Deb

Not to worry, You will find plenty to keep you busy. There is always something to do on a Princess cruise. As far as MUTS goes, Yes it is a nice addition to the cruise experience. But truthfully, I wont miss it when Im on the Star on NOV 6th cruise it tends to be very loud during the day. It almost blocks out the Great caribbean Music that the band is playing.

Good Luck. Have a great time!

I just finished talking to Princess because my boyfriend and I are headed for our first cruise (woo hoo) for my graduation from grad school (whew) on Dec 16th. I got a hold of them and they confirmed today that there are no MUTS which was a real bummer. Ah well, I guess we'll have to think of something else to do....:)

Meanwhile, I'm looking to make some friends on the ship ahead of time. If you hear of anyone, send them my way. We're in theater and music so we're a pretty fun duo.

Take care,

Deb

Deb, I don't know which sailing you're on, but you might check the Princess Roll Call for your sailing and talk with your cruisemates. We're on the Star 1/13 sailing.

Bill

We are booked for the star 11/17. I've been on the cp before it was nice, i hear this ship is just a tad smaller, but look forward to star, even w/out muts ( which is nice, but just for monday night football & night movies).

The cp was nice, but when you can get the star for 317 for 7 days, who cares.

my suggestion would be the crown or grand or caribbean,these have movies under the stars,are bigger newer,and have a few more things than the older smaller ships,sorry i like the bigger ships for size and for things to do and the resturaunts:))

Actually the Grand is the oldest commissioned in 1998 whereas the Star was commissioned in 2002, but all of the Grand Class ships have similar layouts. As far a size goes the only reason the tonnage is bigger for the Caribbean and the Crown is because they have an additional deck of cabins and therefore more pax which I don't really consider a positive.

We really appreciate the time everyone took to help us get a better feel for this cruise.

The reason why we were thinking about the Star is because the price is really good (we are a family of 5 (3 daughters 13, 12 and 10) and getting a flight to Ft Lauderdale is also very competitive. The MUTS is really something our girls wanted to experience.

The be honest my first choice is the southern Caribbean out of San Juan and it was reassuring to hear that you all had positive things to say about there. The only thing is the price of airfare for us. Can be a bit pricy.

Does anyone know any cheap deals on flights from Buffalo (we're in Southern Ontario and can drive across to that airport) to San Juan :)

Again, thanks for all your input.

We're hoping to leave (get a cruise) for the end of Jan 2007 or the first week of Feb 2007.

We were on the Star last year over New Year. We loved it. Its a big ship but only once did we have to line up to get off. There was some problem with the plank at one of the islands. I can't even remember what it was now, but it delayed us...10 minutes (not a big deal at all) There is lots to do on this ship. I loved the adults only pool at the aft of the ship. We're booking a cruise next year on the Tahitian Princess which is a small ship. We'll see how we like that. We had a balcony cabin on Baja 205 and 209 which were next door to each other. Our teenagers were next door. Our cabin stewart opened the door between the two balconies and we were able to go back and forth between the two cabins via the balcony. Have a great time. We flew Air Canada to Ft. Lauderdale via Princess but coming home we couldn't get a direct flight to Toronto so we came home via Ottawa...that was cold in Jan!!! Good luck.

we have been on the CB twice and the Grand once...and IMO the ship isn't that different...We went on the grand before MUTS.....

I have only walked through the MUTS area while on our two sailings on the CB....its not that big of a deal for me...

and last time in sept the "seafood" buffet in cafe caribe was bad to say the least...in april they had lobster tails and in sept no lobster tails they have lobster claws...

We booked an AA mini on the Star in Jan for $1,900 with 50.00 shipboard credit...IMO you can't beat that... while the CB was 2,200 for an AC mini.

I am looking forward to 600-700 hundred less people, even if I have to give up Cafe Caribe....

it also has a covered pool area...in the winter sometimes it can get chilly in the caribbean..its called the Calypso Reef and Pool

here is a link to check it out

http://www.virtualtoursusa.com/tours/starprincess/calypso.htm

In March 2006 we flew on Delta from Toronto (change planes in Atlanta) to San Juan to go on the Golden Princess.

The Delta flight was under $700 Can. each with taxes. Had I booked earlier I could have flown Air Canada for around the same price plus taxes but it was non stop and on a Sat.- the same day the ship sailed.

I preferred to do a 1 day pre cruise stay at the Marriott.

The closer to the cruise - the higher the flight and hotel prices got. J.

[

Deb, I don't know which sailing you're on, but you might check the Princess Roll Call for your sailing and talk with your cruisemates. We're on the Star 1/13 sailing.

Bill

Bill,

Thanks so much, I just got turned on to the roll call thing from some other cruise veterans (you guys are so great!) so thanks and I'm on that roll call now. Take care, Debbie

When you are searching for air, check the US airlines as well. We just switched a Seattle-FLL flight for a Calgary-FLL flight. We found 2 things. AA website price for this flight was about 50 percent of either the WJ or the AC pricing. Secondly, declare yourself as a CDN on their website, the CAD based fare was less than the the USD based fare (adjusted for exchange) are. Unlike Princess, they have a fabulous exchange rate of about 9.9 percent. We also checked kayak.com for airfares. We booked the Star in Dec. THe prices were very good. Check your ship account on the second last day. Princess always wants to convert your US on board charges to CAD but the exchange rate that they use is 3-5 percent higher than most credit cards. We also want to sail from San Juan but the air seems very pricey. May do it on points.

Archived