Don't get upset but I heard that Cunard has a class system?

wdrl

We were on QE2 in October and will agree she is a little 'DATED' which is why we love her so much, we were in M grade and would NOT agree that she is dirty and in poor repair. Of course the QM2 will look 'Better' it is like comparing the skin of a sixteen year old with an eighty year old. If your cabin was dirty you should have reported to your deck superintendant.

The cabin wasn't dirty, and neither was the bathroom, but it was so badly in need of refurbishment it appeared so. The toilet pan had brown stains all around it - most unpleasant - and yes it was recleaned but was so stained it couldn't be bettered! The tiles were cracked with some missing and mould growing out of the grouting. The ceilings in both the bathroom and the cabin had large areas of boarding missing, filled in with lumps of sponge foam which hung down.

The point I was making was that it is so badly in need of refurbishment it appeared dirty. And I know for a fact our cabin wasn't the only one like this as we travelled with 2 other couples, both of whom had cabins in exactly the same state. We also svisited a QG suite that was in just as bad repair as our C2.

The decor wasn't to my taste and I agree that is personal preference, but the general condition should be addressed and soon!

I know the excuse that she is an old ship in her twilight years can only cover for so much, however there is truth in this. Many systems on the ship are 40 years old (how many of us are use a car that age every day?) things get damaged and things get tatty. Everything you mention should have been in better condition and it was a real shame they were not.

QE2 regulars are aware of the old girl's faults : mis-matching decoration, dodgy air conditioning, compact or strangely shaped cabins in lower grades, blind corridors, stairs that go nowhere. This is all part of her history and character.

In the last two years Cunard have worked hard to rectify many of the decoration issues in public areas, the cabins have had less work but some improvement is happening as part of regular maintenance.

Dispite all these minor faults, I will be sad the day the old girl is no longer with us. A QE2 trip is always special for so many reasons. The QM2 is brand new so she does not have these kind of issues but does not have the character of her older sister. The Queen Vistoria likewise will proably not have that special magic that so many of us see in QE2.

wdrl wrote

"No one ever has a go at airlines for offering (sometimes four) classes on 'planes, they just get on board and accept that they got what they paid for."

Yes, but there's a major difference: aircraft are only a means to a destination. Whether you fly 1st or coach, you'd still rather not fly at all. (The only time I ever boarded a plane for the sheer pleasure of it was when I took a Concorde flight from Paris to NY, an experience sadly never to be repeated.) But if instead of being a mere way of getting somewhere, aircraft were destinations in themselves, I'd bet that everyone would complain about the awful food and cramped quarters of coach class, even if they got what they paid for.;)

Yes, but there's a major difference: aircraft are only a means to a destination. ;)

And, to the greater extent, so were passenger ships when they almost without exception were divided by class, sometimes up to four classes.

There were exceptions of course, a few all tourist-class or all first-class ships.

There's a reason why the Europe-North America run was known as "the Atlantic ferry". The ships were people-movers.

Even when Cunard came up with the now iconic slogan "Getting There is Half the Fun".... "There" was not the ship, but the other side of the ocean.

If Cunard has a class system from what some are suggesting, does it mean that NCL has a class system too since they have a courtyard with pool, hot tub and exercice bikes available only to their Villa Floor? I don't think it's the case. For me, it's like what some other people said, it's a great ship and some people are just allowed to spend more money and get the finest cabins and dinning rooms, that's all. Everybody can book Todd English if the want a great meal and intimate atmosphere.

Cruiseluvva,

I am very sorry to hear of the poor state of cabins you experienced on your recent cruise. I visited many signal Deck suites when I went to cocktail parties Q2 grade and they were very nicely appointed as was my PG single cabin 2113 - comfortable & a nice size / good state of repair bathroom. Friends of mine had a C1 cabin & had not complaints whatsoever - yes QE2 is dated but they do a very good job keeping the public rooms up together and on my recent 20 night cruise back in Sep / Oct my first time onboard since last July they had replaced many carpets in both public areas & cabins & re-upholstered many chairs in the bars.

QM2 might be grand and most things running perfectly but QE2 for its ambience, style & excellent food & service still draws me back at least once a year - & I have 3 current bookings for both 07 & 08 - all Grill class!!! but I have also once been in the Caronia Rest. and this was a good experience for both Rest & cabin,

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

The point I was making was that it is so badly in need of refurbishment it appeared dirty. And I know for a fact our cabin wasn't the only one like this as we travelled with 2 other couples, both of whom had cabins in exactly the same state. We also visited a QG suite that was in just as bad repair as our C2.

I think that it's important what your expectations are before you go. If you expect a top of the range modern ship with every modern convenience that you'll be sadly disappointed. If you expect an old fashioned, yet elegant, experience you'll be delighted. What were your expectations before you booked?

Money talks!

Are we talking about money? Where if you pay more you get a bigger cabin, a better restaurant, etc; or are we talking class? Where you have a right to be somewhere because of your birth - yet I do not because of mine.

Are we talking about money?or are we talking class?

Malcolm,

I think the poster, from Los Angeles, may be talking about the American class system (though many will deny it exists) where it is really only about money.....

Peter

I think that it's important what your expectations are before you go. If you expect a top of the range modern ship with every modern convenience that you'll be sadly disappointed. If you expect an old fashioned, yet elegant, experience you'll be delighted. What were your expectations before you booked?

I was ecpecting her to be dated and tired looking. I was NOT expecting cracked and mouldy tiles, severly stained sanitary ware, holes in walls and ceilings, terribly scuffed woodwork, peeling paint etc etc etc!

Cruiseluvva,

I am assuming you made a complaint to the Hotel Manager re your concerns at state of cabins - yes there is scuffed woodwork & perhaps peeling paint in places but I have never experienced any of the other bathroom you defects you describe.

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Malcolm,

I think the poster, from Los Angeles, may be talking about the American class system (though many will deny it exists) where it is really only about money.....

Peter

You mean that they're objecting to people who have money spending it?:eek:

I have never experienced any of the other bathroom defects you describe.

Same here - but you are talking to someone who liked the original 1960s bathrooms - even if they were starting to stain!

You mean that they're objecting to people who have money spending it?:eek:

Unfortunately, there are those out there who are terribly jealous of those who do have more money than them and are able to spend it on things they like to do. I think this is a main reason behind the cries of many North Americans who accuse Cunard of a class system catering to priviledged people. A true class system is just majorly misunderstood by many on this side of the ocean.

Yes, not everyone is fortunate to have great jobs and be able to afford excesses in life. Life isn't always fair but Cunard's seperate dining functions and accomodations are not that much different than a fine hotel or an airline or any other venue out there today and thus its rather sad that Cunard gets accused of being something from the days of "to whom you were born" and titles were everything.

We all are dealt different blows in life. However, we also make many decisions. I am thankful I have a good job that allows me to spend a few extra bucks enjoying a fine dinner and a few creature comforts but I also could have spent that same money on other things in life too. If I bought season tickets for sports I'm sure I would have been a hero to some instead of a class snob to that exact same crowd. This is the part of life I just don't get.

Classy and the class system are two very different things.

David

Who is rather classless!:D

I was ecpecting her to be dated and tired looking. I was NOT expecting cracked and mouldy tiles, severly stained sanitary ware, holes in walls and ceilings, terribly scuffed woodwork, peeling paint etc etc etc!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh biting my tongue don't you know icon10.gif

Ken

Back in 67 I crossed from Brazil to Europe on an italian ship Augustus (back on Giulio Cesare) where there were two classes: first and tourist. You could also easily spot the borders between the three (1st, 2nd and 3rd) classes it used to have. I was sharing a cabin with 3 more people, with no privat bath.

I was 16 and me and a friend (15) used to sneak into fist class almost all the time, at that time at least on that ship it wasn't a big deal.

Believe, there is no comparison with the QM2 system.

Archived