Alcohol onboard questions, comments, etc. (merged)

picnicpat

1. You can pack it in your luggage or buy when you land and transfer. Plastic is best, either plastic bottles from the liquor store or transfer into plastic bottles. Put it in a freezer zip-loc bag, and use bubble wrap if available. Pack it the middle of the bag, ideally 1 bottle per bag.

2. At the port, checked baggage is your best chance of successfully getting it onboard.

3. I don't believe the "hospitality gift" suppliers are allowed to supply hard liquor, something tells me it's beer and wine only....if anything at all, these days.

i hope things go well :), have a great cruise.

Just Because of You can make a gift basket and, depending on the port, may be able to sell hard liquor. I think I read a post this morning that it won't work on Mariner, but it might have been Navigator. If you Google the company name it will come right up.'

If you're going to purchase it from another source & smuggle it onboard, I'd say wait until you get to (what the heck city is Port Canaveral in?:o ) and buy it there rather than having to worry about weight limite and breakage.

Another source. I usually pick up six cans of local brew and toss them in my knapsack at each port and I have never been stopped. Even if they did take it and give it back the final night - it is usually a sea day so I should be ready for it then. Keep it in moderation - no problem.

I usually put a plastic bottle or two in my checked luggage. Plastic for the reduced weight and breakage. The Grandeur had OJ 24 hours a day - great mix.

I took a bottle of vodka and Rose's Lime Juice on in my carry on. No problem. (This was on Explorer on 9/06 and 10/06..so no flying)!!

BIL took 2 bottles of Black Sambuca on in his carryon. No problem with his either.

I would try to find the plastic bottles when flying and still put them is some kind of zip loc..bag.

Happy smuggling!!!!!!!

Pam

Definitely get plastic bottles, and do put them in your checked baggage.

We have one of the food savers that vacuum seals into a heavy duty bag. I put our plastic bottles into those and seal them up. No worries at all about things breaking or even leaking. Be sure to take some zip lock bags along for the return trip! Some folks on our last cruise made it through everything but the trip home - a bottle of scotch broke in their luggage and their clothing, shoes and souvenirs were all soaked. Yuck.

I just got off the freedom. I had 4 bottles of liquor in my carry on luggage and no one said a word. I had switched one bottle into a water bottle to be safe since I was making jello shots on board and wanted to make sure I had the alcohol to do so. But I had two bottles of tequila rose and bottle of 151 and they never took them from me. I did not try and hide them at all either.

Well, some of you have been lucky. Just got off the Oct 27th Grandeur out of Baltimore. Had 4 suitcases. In one of them i had a bottle of wine, in another i had a bottle of Crown. Well we got 3 suitcases ( bottle of wine) delivered to our room in about one hour after boarding. Went to dinner, the show, then came back to the room, no suitcase. We went to the pursers desk, he smiled, said you have to go to the conference room, they must have found something in your suitcase. Along with about 100 other cruisers, we stood in line, found our suitcase, they made us open it, searched for bottles, they took it until the last night at sea. They go thru the xray machine. However, when talking to others that this happened, they did the same as we did, kept it in different suitcases, pulled one and not the other. Just be aware they are scanning the suitcases.

I have some web sites you can get some info on gift baskets you can order to be sent to yourself, to your room, and be wating there when you arrive on board, therefore you eliminate the chance of booze breaking in your luggage, or being confiscated before boarding. I personally have not yet used any these services, but plan to for our up-coming cruise in Feb.

wellwishers.com

justbecause.addictscay.com/ phone# 1-800-882-9707 ask for Shelley

theperfectgift.cc/

I have read alot of good things about Well Wishers, but more about Just because of You. From what I understand if it's booze you want, that you will need to call for and order. I hope this helps. From all the threads that I have read, I plan on calling Shelley at Just Because. People have said she works with you on putting together the perfect basket, and at REASONABLE rates!:) That's what sold me. Good luck!!:)

Sandal-ette

OK, in your luggage, make sure you pack in a case that will not allow the sides of the bottles to touch. They will break on you. I usually put a sock around each one then pack them inside the box.

As far as getting them onboard, rock on, no failures yet and we are platinum. Lots of bottles lots of ways. Last time, clear liquor in water bottles that if you practice, you can take the tops off without breaking the seal. The crew might look at them and see they are sealed. It's not easy but it can be done.

Good luck and happy boozing. Buy the all you can drink pop card on board and mix up your rum and cokes!

I own a box that firefighters use to carry equiptment. You can literally drop it from a 5 story building and nothing will happen to contents inside. Well anyway I always pack a couple bottles of Whisky for my cruise. Then I fill my flask every night and use my coke card and poof. Cheap Jack and Coke. I also offer some of my flask to others who are drinking Jack and Coke. Stiffen em up a bit for them. It's a great ice breaker.

Flame me if you wish, but I could care less what you think about me. HAHA

Leave your booze at home and follow the rules.

How novel, isn't it!

By the way what other rules to you feel compelled to break?

And yeah, I posted anyway.

So what, feeling guilty about your law breaking ways?

Your post regarding "rules" http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=7494233#post7494233

I agree :)

GO AMY!!! This is great we can actually talk about booze without interference from the "RULES AND REGS ADDICTS".

THE FUNNIEST ONE: I was on Princess last year doing a back to back cruise. I just walked into the booze shop onboard the last night of our first cruise. I bought a bunch of booze...5 or 6 bottles. The store allows you to take the booze with you on the last night of the cruise...so I just took it back to my cabin. I was all set for my 2nd week on Princess!!!:D (OBTW...I always leave the leftover stuff with my cabin steward...they seem to be very pleased with it.)

I usually buy my booze just before embarkation...but I think I will get one of those boxes of wine and stick it in my suitcase before the flight...and just leave it there until I am onboard the ship.:D

As an FYI for those who do take booze and fly. The airlines (last I heard) do not allow the high percentage booze on the plane in either checked or carryon. Meaning dont bring 151 or grain back with you. Reason given to me was that it was too flamable.

From the RCI website...

Life Onboard Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Vacation Policys.

"BUT...taking booze into a public area onboard the ship is a big NO-NO...it can have serious consequences"

We will be on our 1st cruise shortly and I was wondering how does drinking your own beer at the pool works or anywhere else away from the cabin ? How is that done without breaking the rules and looking tacky? In a way it seems from the above post you can get in trouble for that?

Can you perhaps pour your drink into a bigger carry around mug and head to the pool ? I have no idea what's the etiquette in this regard or how the smugglers do it. Please dont flame me for asking this. I am just curious and its better to know the "how to" and the "don'ts" before we leave.

Thank you kindly.

"BUT...taking booze into a public area onboard the ship is a big NO-NO...it can have serious consequences"

We will be on our 1st cruise shortly and I was wondering how does drinking your own beer at the pool works or anywhere else away from the cabin ? How is that done without breaking the rules and looking tacky? In a way it seems from the above post you can get in trouble for that?

Can you perhaps pour your drink into a bigger carry around mug and head to the pool ? I have no idea what's the etiquette in this regard or how the smugglers do it. Please dont flame me for asking this. I am just curious and its better to know the "how to" and the "don'ts" before we leave.

Thank you kindly.

I took a case of beer in my soft cooler put it right through the x ray machine. I have a small soft cooler looks like a bag. I put ice in it take it to the pool and open it pop the top of my beer and pull it out and drink it. I don't make it obvious. But it dosen't look tacky at all. I took bud light and it was served on the ship. I even put it back in the bag on ice to keep it cold. No one knows if I bought it on the ship. If you have a drink you can make it in your room or take it in a can of pop. I don't mind spending $8.00 for a drink but I don't think it hurts to make a few of your own.

I agree... if you're going to do this, at least have decency to be discreet... I'm not taking on a full bar or intending to compete with RCCL's bar service... Like I said, I'll still order my whiskey sour at the Schooner bar before dinner...

There are SOOOOOO many rules that people break on cruises that I guess I don't understand why people get so hot and bothered about breaking this rule... Dont' even get me started on the multitude of rules that parents break with regards to their children on cruises...

Why on earth does anyone care? If I'm not bothering you and you don't even know me, why are you wasting your time on something that has absolutely no effect on your day to day life or vacation....

I often wonder... is it the booze that bothers people? or do they get their panties in a bunch over people who bring on their own tea bags, water bottles, and soda too??? Incidentally, I take my own tea also because I am a tea snob and Lipton just doesn't cut it for me... I enjoy a nice cup of afternoon tea but the selection on the ships is ... lacking.

No one ever said anything about not being discrete. People on these boards are not rolling a KEG of beer around on a dolly, filling up a plastic cup with beer. When I am out in the bar and I order a coke, I very quickly and quietly pull my flask from my jacket pocket and top it off. On several occasions the person next to me ask me for a little extra to stiffen their drink a bit. I am always more than willing to help out a fellow cruiser. So please quit with the being discrete card because in my case it doesn't apply.

I'm Clarksfan1 and I approve this message.

So I was talking to my sis about this topic... she's a cruiser too but she does Carnival because one of her friends is an entertainer onboard she gets Friends and Family discount (and boy is that sweet but Carnival is just too family focused for me)... So he emailed me some thoughts which I will summarize for you here...

1.)The more you bring on, the more likely the bells will go off and the possibility of confiscation is higher... It's possible that they will find it on a random check... Carnival just takes it from you and you surrender to a larger bar bill..

2.) In general, staff looks the other way on this policy because it is so prevalent that enforcing it is just too bothersome... they would rather guests be happy and book again. They have bigger fish to fry...

3.)Incidentally, when staff purchases liquor duty free while in port, they get to take it back to their rooms... My sister just buys stuff and has him bring it back on ship, then deliver to her later on board...

4.) Discretion is definitely key here...

5.) Very few people 'tattle' on those who smuggle booze onboard... they get more complaints about parentless children running amok, as far as conduct complaints go.

This is just from a Carnival employee... though I imagine it's similar on RCCL and other lines too.. He worked for RCCL years ago and is about to start working on the QE2 next spring...

I took 2 bottles of wine onto my Splendour cruise - I didnt realise that I shouldn`t! It was packed into my checked luggage - not hand luggage. The only problem was that there were no glasses or cork screw in the cabin, so I though I would be taking them home with me again! I left the bottles in plain sight on the dressing table in the cabin.

The 2nd night we returned to our cabin and found glasses and a cork screw provided by our steward.:) Nice!

PS - I bought the wine package for drinking at dinner time, the other was purely sipped on the balcony of our cabin as we left each port! So RCI didn`t loose out either.

Cheers!

Clarksfan,

I don't care if you bring booze on a ship. I do think though if the guy next to you notices you are pouring your own booze into your drink out in a public area, you aren't being discreet at all.

I feel the same way about the rolling cooler. What's discreet about that? If you want to drink in your cabin, that's fine, but taking your own stock out in public is just plain tacky.

Obviously some will disagree with me. I am not saying that if you made a drink in your cabin and took it out it would be tacky, but a cooler or topping off your drink is. I'm not making a moral judgement, lol. Go ahead flame me.

Katie