Alcohol onboard questions, comments, etc. (merged)

picnicpat

I really don't know. I would imagine they are sending orders placed previously as promised, of course. It was Charlene that I spoke with. It sounded to me as though this is a very recent change and maybe sending alcohol other than wine got to be a bit too complicated??

Of course they do send other types of baskets... When she said wine only, she was referring to baskets that incl. alcohol.

I just called her back to make sure I didn't misunderstand b/c the price list she just emailed me still has beer on it. It seems the talk of changes just happened this morning, so she is going to double check with Shelly on the beer thing when she gets back. She'll email me later....

It's too bad really... She didn't go into detail, nor would I dream of asking, but apparently it had something to do with someone who was very unappreciative/demanding? whom just made them feel they were better off going back to basics.... Sadly, sometimes it only takes one to ruin a nice thing for everyone else.

I just heard back from Sharlene. They ARE still doing beer. FYI, the max. bottles of wine per basket are 3... (I guess they used to shrink wrap more?)

Their policies just changed as of this morning. It never ceases to amaze me how I always seem to have that luck!!

I just spoke to Shelley and the orders that were already placed will be taken care of but for the time being they are not going to do liquor baskets. Unfortunately one person can spoil it for everyone. Shelley said that once things calm down they may look at going back to liquor baskets. She is really great to deal with.

Just back from the Voyager of the Seas TransAtlantic. We sailed out of Barcelona. They were very strict about alcohol being carried on and had a large table full of bags/bottles that were taken from passengers at embarkation to be delivered on the last day of the cruise. All carryons were screened. If you took wine to the dining room, even if was a gift from your TA, there was a $12 corkage fee. Alcohol purchased in Madeira and Lisbon was also taken and returned on the last day. No problems taking on bottled water or soda. A little inconsistent from what I've read on the boards. Guess it's to keep us guessing. :)

Just back from the Voyager of the Seas TransAtlantic. We sailed out of Barcelona. They were very strict about alcohol being carried on and had a large table full of bags/bottles that were taken from passengers at embarkation to be delivered on the last day of the cruise. All carryons were screened. If you took wine to the dining room, even if was a gift from your TA, there was a $12 corkage fee. Alcohol purchased in Madeira and Lisbon was also taken and returned on the last day. No problems taking on bottled water or soda. A little inconsistent from what I've read on the boards. Guess it's to keep us guessing. :)

glad to hear about the soda. I drink Diet Dr Pepper and they don't have that or I would get a soda pass

I tend to be a rule-follower, but bringing a small amount of alcohol on board has been a rule that I have been willing to break on my last few cruises. I have been successful each time I have tried it.

I'm not sure if it is a new policy or just something that I hadn't noticed in the past, but the documents for my upcoming cruise clearly state that passengers who violate the alcohol policies can be denied boarding. I'm sure it is mostly a deterrence tactic and meant for more serious violations but it has me thinking twice about it this time. I cannot imagine it would make any business sense for the cruise line to enforce this provision for someone who brings one bottle in his luggage, but has it made anyone else change behavior? Any thoughts on the policy and whether it would actually be enforced for a smuggling violation?

They were taking alcohol in luggage on the GOS out of Baltimore recently. I guess they could always enforce the new policy. I really don't think it's worth it. Maybe if you drink a lot. We really don't so it's not worth it. The prices really aren't much more than a bar at home for us.

What is the best way? I have some co-workers who know people who do it every year. I definetly want to at least attempt to sneak on our own booze instead of paying the outrageous prices at the bars.

Any tips and hunts are apprecaites! :)

Do a search of these boards you will find all the information you need. In regards to "outrageous" prices...they are in line with most night clubs, restaurants, and bars in major cities. In fact in several of the major cities I have traveled to I have found my after dinner cocktail to be higher priced than what it has been on the ships we have sailed.

I've never found the prices to be out of line--as a matter of fact, they're cheaper onboard the ship than in most clubs in my area (No. Va.) Unless you're drinking an ungodly amount, it hardly seems worth the effort to lug a bunch of heavy liquid filled bottles with you! C'mon, you can afford the cruise--you can't afford a few beers or cocktails????

What is the best way? I have some co-workers who know people who do it every year. I definetly want to at least attempt to sneak on our own booze instead of paying the outrageous prices at the bars.

We got plastic bottles of liquor (the cheap stuff), double bagged each bottle in 2 gallon size zip lock bags, and simply put them in our checked luggage. Made it on board, no problem.

We also carried on many bottles of liquor from the ports of call during the trip with no problem as well.

:)

By the way, the cruise lines do read these boards regularly. So, they are aware of all of the tricks.

Ok granted that this trick will not work with a rental car very well do to local law enforcement issues, so I would go with a private taxi or limo only.

What you do is buy the biggest bottle of our choice that you like, about a mile or so out from the port you and the other people in your party start to chug the bottle or bottles down. See this way they will not take it away from you as you board and it will not break and spill on all you check stuff, and it will still get all of it on board with you...

Why take a chance to save a few bucks.

"Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be requested to leave the ship or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Vacation Policies". :eek:

Why take a chance to save a few bucks.

"Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be requested to leave the ship or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Vacation Policies". :eek:

I'd hate to be sitting on the pier somewhere with just my little bubble wrapped bottle of booze...:(

Okay a different type of question...we are buying booze in our ports and want to pack in our luggage for the flight home(I know they hold it on the ship until the last night which I dont care)I know everyone says bubble wrap but will that keep them safe when the airline luggage handlers are tossing other suitcases on top of them ? Thanks for any help you can give me.:o

John, with the airline restrictions these days I will not be buying any liquor unless we are driving to and from the port. This time last year you could carry the bottles on the plane or pack them in your carry on. Now it has to be checked and I don't think it would last through the baggage handlers. if you are driving you can hand carry it off of the ship and they usually pack it in nice sturdy boxes (both on the ship or in the ports) with handles to make it easy.

Outrageous prices? Wow! They are about as cheap as I have ever seen. Usually pay $8 for a drink in L.A. so a litle over $5 is cheap as it comes for me. I will gladly pay their prices. I also order a bottle or 2 to be delivered to my room so I can have drinks on the balcony. Maybe you should try that. Call well wishers or just because of you and have it delivered.

I've never found the prices to be out of line--as a matter of fact, they're cheaper onboard the ship than in most clubs in my area (No. Va.) Unless you're drinking an ungodly amount, it hardly seems worth the effort to lug a bunch of heavy liquid filled bottles with you! C'mon, you can afford the cruise--you can't afford a few beers or cocktails????

Actually this cruise is an xmas gift. Parents are paying for the cruise but not the booze, of course. Also, let me just say if we had paid for the cruise we'd be drinking the free stuff the entire time lol.

Also, $5 for a beer and like $7 for a mixed drink is pretty ridiculous IMHO. I'm not a club hopper or anything so a single drink at a price like that is dang expensive to me. I can pay $20 for the supplies to make 20 mixed drinks instead of $7 per mixed drink that would total ~$140. Although, a lot of people on these forums are able to afford at least one cruise a year so I see where some of you are coming from. We won't be able to afford our own cruise for a good 3-4 years lol.

I'll at least try to sneak a couple of fifths on board. I HIGHLY doubt they will kick you off the ship. I'm fairly certain they will simply take them until the cruise is over, if anything.

Outrageous prices? Wow! They are about as cheap as I have ever seen. Usually pay $8 for a drink in L.A. so a litle over $5 is cheap as it comes for me. I will gladly pay their prices. I also order a bottle or 2 to be delivered to my room so I can have drinks on the balcony. Maybe you should try that. Call well wishers or just because of you and have it delivered.

As stated in my post above, if I could afford a balcony, I'm sure I'd be fine purchasing $5-$8 drinks. :p

A cruise for us is a REAL treat. It's not something we're able to do every year or multiple times a year. In order to make a cruise once every 5 years we gotta be cheap lol.

Also, $5 for a beer and like $7 for a mixed drink is pretty ridiculous IMHO. .

Mixed drinks are about $5.25 or so + 15% gratuity. I never paid $7 for a drink on our recent Freedom cruise. Seriously though, check out having a bottle or 2 delivered to your stateroom.