NEW NAME FOR Eurodam

AWED23

Judy,

I had pretty much gathered that you had read the Press Release -- the one published on CCL is pretty much the same as the one published on HAL's own News board. Nevertheless, I thought Mr. Kruse's remarks were interesting, if not very enlightening.

I agree with you that the ship, herself, sounds wonderful and I DO look forward to seeing what they do with her. Yes, like many of us here I prefer the S and R ships, but I also enjoy the Vistas and, I'm sure, the Signatures will also be excellent additions to the HAL fleet.

As I said in a prior post, while peeved about the choice of name I was not being *serious* when I suggested that I might not cruise aboard her. Indeed, many of us CCers who were on the Noordam's Maiden Cruise have been talking, along with other CCers, about making the Maiden Cruise of this ship, too. I don't think I would willingly miss getting together with my CC friends for such a special occasion just because the name of the ship is such a disappointment.

And, like you, several of the other itineraries they've mentioned are also of interest to me. I may do a NE/Canadian cruise aboard her in September 2008.

I don't expect the name to "grow on me," but like you I already find myself just thinking of her as the "E-dam." And, like you, I am one who dislikes the cutsie shortenings of other damship names. However, perhaps when we gather for our CC get-together on the Inaugural we should hold a toasting and give her an informal "christening" as the "E-dam" :)

Happy?

Well not everyone likes everything. Be glad for differences of opinion.

This so called before launched EuroDam Ship is just that.

Reading between the lines now too has to beckon you.

Would we all rather call the Dam Ships :

EG:
[CENTER]Noordam [B]N[/B] Dam
Oosterdam [B]O [/B]Dam

Maasdam [B]M[/B] Dam
Amsterdam [B]A[/B] Dam
Prinsendam [B]P[/B] Dam
Statendam [B]S[/B] Dam
[/CENTER]
Problems now...

Rotterdam R Dam
Ryndam r2 Dam

Veendam V Dam
Volendam v2 Dam

Zuiderdam Z Dam
Zaandam z 2 Dam

[CENTER]Oosterdam [B]O[/B] Dam
Westerdam [B]W[/B]Dam
(EuroDam) [B]E[/B]Dam[/CENTER]

[quote name='revneal']You got the sequence reversed here. The Zaandam is older, hence she is the ACTUAL "Z Dam". The Zuiderdam would, in your nomenclature, be Z2-Dam[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="4"]Same w/ [I]Ryndam[/I] & [I]Rotterdam[/I] - [I]Ryndam[/I] came first...[/SIZE][/FONT]
:rolleyes:

Actually, all the HAL ships have official two-letter abbreviations

AM Amsterdam
MA Maasdam
NO Noordam
OS Oosterdam
PR Prinsendam
RT Rotterdam
RY Ryndam
SA Statendam
VE Veendam
VO Volendam
WE Westerdam
ZA Zaandam
ZU Zuiderdam

(These can also be expressed in four letters e.g. AMDM instead of AM, MADM instead of MA, etc.)

I guess the new ship will probably be EU.

[quote name='revneal']Judy,

I agree with you that the ship, herself, sounds wonderful and I DO look forward to seeing what they do with her. Yes, like many of us here I prefer the S and R ships, but I also enjoy the Vistas and, I'm sure, the Signatures will also be excellent additions to the HAL fleet.

And, like you, several of the other itineraries they've mentioned are also of interest to me. I may do a NE/Canadian cruise aboard her in September 2008.

I don't expect the name to "grow on me," but like you I already find myself just thinking of her as the "E-dam." And, like you, I am one who dislikes the cutsie shortenings of other damship names. However, perhaps when we gather for our CC get-together on the Inaugural we should hold a toasting and give her an informal "christening" as the "E-dam" :)[/quote]

[B]Please share the first toast to her with me, Greg. :) I sincerely hope we do all toast her at our get together aboard Noordam. I am very much looking forward to that.[/B]

[B]Robert and I are already talking about traveling to Rotterdam for Eurodam's Dedication....assuming we will be permitted to attend. We would then seriously like to do her Maiden. [/B]

[B](I am torn though about her Crossing and her Canada/New England cruises. Such hard choices!!! ;) :) )[/B]

There is just so much talent running amok on this board. Cruznon, I am quite impressed.:)

Karin

Cruznon, where did your terrific poem go???? It was here a moment ago, and it was pure genius! Please, bring it back!! Waaaah! I should have "quoted" it when I made my response!!

[quote name='AWED23']:confused: Come on gang, we should be able to give HAL some help with a better name for the new ship than Eurodam......What say you Mariners?....Hoorndam????.....:rolleyes:[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=red]OK...[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#ff0000]I went back to the OP's post and thought this was supposed to be a funny thread.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#ff0000]Sorry...it is just the way I think sometimes....:D [/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#ff0000]So here we go...[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#ff0000]Idontgiveadam....[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#ff0000]Whogivesadam....[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#ff0000]idroppedthehammeronmytoeandsaiddam...[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#ff0000]Hooverdam...[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#ff0000] [/COLOR][/FONT]

I would have preferred Nieuw Amsterdam. Given her size, that name would fit.

I subscribe to the Euro theory that it's about the money. One wag opined what's next? Dollardam? Rupeedam?

They could take the easy route and just call her: Oh Dam.

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]Please share the first toast to her with me, Greg. :) I sincerely hope we do all toast her at our get together aboard Noordam. I am very much looking forward to that.[/B][/QUOTE]

Indeed, as am I!

[QUOTE][B]Robert and I are already talking about traveling to Rotterdam for Eurodam's Dedication....assuming we will be permitted to attend. We would then seriously like to do her Maiden. [/B][/QUOTE]

You CAN'T go all the way to Rotterdam for the E-Dam's dedication without also making the cruise!!!!!! That would not be ... logical. :D

[QUOTE][B](I am torn though about her Crossing and her Canada/New England cruises. Such hard choices!!! ;) :) )[/B][/QUOTE]

Choice shmoish ... take 'em all!!!!!!!! It's only money! :D

[quote name='revneal']
You CAN'T go all the way to Rotterdam for the E-Dam's dedication without also making the cruise!!!!!! That would not be ... logical. :D[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Didn't know you were also a trekkie!;) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]BTW, S7S, did you know that the real "Rotterdammers" have a nickname for their city? They call her "Rotjeknor"...........hmm, the M/S Rotjeknor:rolleyes: [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Its not just Money...

It is Euro's!

:eek:

I guess your not buying Euro's forward then...*S*

[quote name='revneal']Indeed, as am I!

You CAN'T go all the way to Rotterdam for the E-Dam's dedication without also making the cruise!!!!!! That would not be ... logical. :D

Choice shmoish ... take 'em all!!!!!!!! It's only money! :D[/QUOTE]

quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]BTW, S7S, did you know that the real "Rotterdammers" have a nickname for their city? They call her "Rotjeknor"...........hmm, the M/S Rotjeknor:rolleyes: [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]__________________
[/quote]

[B]Phoenetics, John.........I need it written phoenetically :D [/B]

[B]You cannot imagine how badly I could butcher that!! And I love Rotterdam so surely don't want to make a mess of the 'locals' nickname. ;)[/B]

May I remind you that there has been a contest among the employees of HAL, Windstar, Westmark Hotels and Gray Line for a name of the newest ship.

Probably the management found EURODAM to be the winner.

Instead of whining on this board, you better send your complaints to HAL's management.

Archived