NEW NAME FOR Eurodam

AWED23

I was told that the G sounded like H in words like Ghent (or Gent) and Gouda, making them pronouced as "hent" and "howda" ... so wouldn't Gogh be "hoe" or maybe "hawk"? :D

Nope, there is no equivalent in English for the way the Dutch pronounce the "G". It is pronounced GGGGouda with a hard G (like scraping your throat) - You would have to hear a Dutchman say it

Is it similar to the German hard "G"?

Similar but not the same! During WWII, the Dutch used to catch German infiltrators attempting to portray themselves as fellow Dutchmen by having them say the word "Scheveningen" The Germans couldn't say it 'cause the "G' is pronounced differently

Similar but not the same! During WWII, the Dutch used to catch German infiltrators attempting to portray themselves as fellow Dutchmen by having them say the word "Scheveningen" The Germans couldn't say it 'cause the "G' is pronounced differently

During the War, didn't they also 'sniff out' Germans by their pronounciation of Schipol Airport?

Is it similar to the German hard "G"?

As John says, it is similar but not the same. Thing of how the "r" is rolled in spanish, then roll a "g" in a similar fashion and you're getting closer. Hebrew has something similar in the letter kauph.

I say let's keep the name.

Instead let's encourage HAL to consult with Mariners about the facilities and layout and put our lobbying effort behind things that really matter.

Hello James, good to see you.

I generally agree that our focus should be letting the Line know that, even though the name stinks, we really want the interior of the ship to reflect the HAL traditions. While the name truly does disappoint me, if they build a ship that is NOT a damship in terms of decor, I absolutely won't sail on it. Indeed, it's my disappointment at the RFU on the name that will occasion my writing to express my concern at the tossing of tradition and history overboard in regards to decor and the general "feel" of the ship. In other words: if HAL is going to be so non-traditional regarding the name of the vessel, how can we be assured that they won't throw away tradition when it comes to her interior appointments? Yes ... I would like it if they would change her name to "Edam" or some-such, but if they screw with the interior feel of the ship, they can include me OUT. I may cruise on a damship that doesn't have a REAL dam name, but I absolutely will NOT cruise on a pseudo-damship that doesn't at least have the look and feel of a REAL damship. And I'm dam certain of that. :)

Forget Tradition ---- We now have to keep to the new theme for at least four ships.

EuroDam

AsiaDam

SoAmDam

NoAmDam

Then we can get back to tradition.

They could have done better !!

You'll need a 5th ship ... the Africadam. And, while their at it, they might as well include an Australiadam and a Southpacificdam and an Antarcticadam!

NUTS.

Whoever is passing out stupid pills at HAL had better quit and/or go do it at some other line.

Hello James, good to see you.

I generally agree that our focus should be letting the Line know that, even though the name stinks, we really want the interior of the ship to reflect the HAL traditions. While the name truly does disappoint me, if they build a ship that is NOT a damship in terms of decor, I absolutely won't sail on it. Indeed, it's my disappointment at the RFU on the name that will occasion my writing to express my concern at the tossing of tradition and history overboard in regards to decor and the general "feel" of the ship. In other words: if HAL is going to be so non-traditional regarding the name of the vessel, how can we be assured that they won't throw away tradition when it comes to her interior appointments? Yes ... I would like it if they would change her name to "Edam" or some-such, but if they screw with the interior feel of the ship, they can include me OUT. I may cruise on a damship that doesn't have a REAL dam name, but I absolutely will NOT cruise on a pseudo-damship that doesn't at least have the look and feel of a REAL damship. And I'm dam certain of that. :)

Rev.......You said it all....Seattle does read this board....Let's see if their web site says anything....Thanks again and hope to see you aboard soon.....

Who says they are going to use other continents for other Signature class ships?

That being said, for coined names, how about the oceans?

Atlantischdam

Stilledam

Indischdam

I think it's just a bit of speculation based upon what HAL did with the names of the Vistas (the 4 points of the compass). Now, HAL invents a non-Dutch name for a ship based, supposedly, upon a Continent. If the HAL track record is to be followed, HAL will chooser another continent to add dam to for the other Signature ship.

I think the speculation is as wrong as is the choice of "Eurodam" for the first signature. But, it's fun to speculate.

The EuroDam may well not be a Continent as all of Europe is not part of the Euro.....

The Euro is actaully a monetary place holder as our Dollar is.. so in a Signature as in any funancual transaction now it is sometimnes done by e-ing it.

Are the next Ship s maybe the DollarDam (US,HK,BM,AU,NZ etc...)

What do you have Yen for... YenDam**S**

Better than a TwoBit Dam Ship...:eek:

I think it's just a bit of speculation based upon what HAL did with the names of the Vistas (the 4 points of the compass). Now, HAL invents a non-Dutch name for a ship based, supposedly, upon a Continent. If the HAL track record is to be followed, HAL will chooser another continent to add dam to for the other Signature ship.

I think the speculation is as wrong as is the choice of "Eurodam" for the first signature. But, it's fun to speculate.

Don't people who speak yittish dialect of Hebrew also use the hard constenants too? Which tribe of the Semites did?

How many people can really pronounce well where the Heiniken Beer is brewed...

:cool: and to think people still think Flushing is just still in Queens, NY too...

[quote name='Copper10-8'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Similar but not the same! During WWII, the Dutch used to catch German infiltrators attempting to portray themselves as fellow Dutchmen by having them say the word "Scheveningen" The Germans couldn't say it 'cause the "G' is pronounced differently[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Maybe naming the new ship "Eurodam" is simply a refreshingly honest admission by HAL that it will be designed to extract the maximum monetary contribution by of each of its passengers. Hence, we can expect such features as:
* Every dining venue to carry an extra charge;
* Video bingo available 24/7 in your stateroom;
* A bread pudding surcharge

:eek:

[quote name='Tricia724']Eurodam sounds like a kid's joke.....

Knock, knock.

Who's there?

Eurodam.

Eurodam, who?

Eurodam fool for sailing on a ship with such a stupid name.

Really, HAL could have done better. I hope the ship turns out to be better than it's name.[/QUOTE]

FOFLMHO ...
Thank you!
That's the really FIRST good laugh I've had all day!
Thank you!!!!!!

Like I posted in the other thread regarding this name..
it must be a bad joke, made without any fantasy.

Many europeans are still not that happy with the Euro (it costed a lot of money, prices have gone up etc.), so pronounce this name in a special way.....

In HAL's history and all over NL there many beautiful old cities with names ending on dam, easy to choose from.

[B]I agree, Ine........

It is something of a disappointment they chose to go a different path with this naming. I don't hate the name but think there are so many that would have been so wonderful.

I'd love to hear the philosophy behind this decision. What was the thought process? What is the message they are trying to give? I'm sorry to say, I don't 'get it'. .[/B]

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]I'd love to hear the philosophy behind this decision. What was the thought process? What is the message they are trying to give? I'm sorry to say, I don't 'get it'. .[/B][/QUOTE]

Judy,

I think that Mr. Kruse's thinking process on this is described in his statement regarding it which can be found in the press release on HAL's website:

[QUOTE]“This will be the 80th passenger ship to sail in the company’s fleet and the first ship in our illustrious history to bear the name Eurodam,” said Stein Kruse, president and chief executive officer. “We chose the name Eurodam to celebrate our European and Dutch heritage and our third century of sailing in one of the world’s most popular cruising regions.” [/QUOTE]

In other words, they realize that they've broken with tradition and he thinks it's a GOOD thing. In so-doing they are celebrating the [b]"European and Dutch heritage"[/b] and the Line's [b]"third century of sailing."[/b]

As our British friends would say: bollocks.

[B]I had previously read Mr. Kruse's statement, Greg. It has appeared on this board several times. Are press releases always the whole story.......the whole truth of the matter? I'm not sure it gives us the thought process, in this instance.

I also have said I don't hate the name. Actually, I'm getting rather fond of the nickname I shall assign her. E-Dam pleases me (personally).

I have always been one who dislikes hearing Zuiderdam referred to as Zuidy. Or Rotterdam being called Rottie. etc Just not to my taste and sounds so slang and sloppy IMO

But....I shall probably be doing just what I dislike hearing others do and will be 'nicknaming' Eurodam.

I expect to really love the ship and have no intention of having the name interefere with my pleasure aboard her; my enjoyment of what I know will be her comfort and beauty. Nor any hesitation about trying hard to be present for her Dedication and aboard for her Inaugural Voyage. Though I must admit the more I read about some of her other cruises scheduled for shortly after her Maiden, they are interesting me even more.

Noordam is done sooooo very well that I feel incredibly confident Mr. Dingemans, Mr. Antonini, Mr. Arison, Mr. Kruse, Mr. Rick Meadows and company will create a magnificent ship.

We have plenty of time to get used to the name and your displeasure may subside given time. It is clear you are not pleased with their choice.

[/B]

Archived