Oosterdam repair saga continues

DAllenTCY

First, let me state that I talked with Mr. Dearing and the Captain and it was confirmed that HAL is going to cannablize there new ship for a Azipod if possible, to replace the one on the Oosterdam.

Second, it takes months to build one of these pods and none are closer than a couple of months out of being completed.

Third, once it is completed it has to be shipped from Europe to the West Coast of the US. Since the pods are >200 Klbs a proper ship must be found to ship it on.

Forth, since this is still months away HAL can not give anyone an exact date as to when dry dock will occur.

The Azipod are one of the first items ordered when a new ship is contracted to be constructed - it is what is called a "Long Lead Item" meaning it takes a long time to get it so you need to order it first. By taking one from their new ship HAL will save months on waiting for a new one to be constructed, however it seems to me they are also gambling the it does not delay the new ships launch date.

All the above is my take on what I was told and not the exact words of any HAL employee.

So go and enjoy your cruise(s)

Gary

First, let me state that I talked with Mr. Dearing and the Captain and it was confirmed that HAL is going to cannablize there new ship for a Azipod if possible, to replace the one on the Oosterdam.

Second, it takes months to build one of these pods and none are closer than a couple of months out of being completed.

Third, once it is completed it has to be shipped from Europe to the West Coast of the US. Since the pods are >200 Klbs a proper ship must be found to ship it on.

Forth, since this is still months away HAL can not give anyone an exact date as to when dry dock will occur.

The Azipod are one of the first items ordered when a new ship is contracted to be constructed - it is what is called a "Long Lead Item" meaning it takes a long time to get it so you need to order it first. By taking one from their new ship HAL will save months on waiting for a new one to be constructed, however it seems to me they are also gambling the it does not delay the new ships launch date.

All the above is my take on what I was told and not the exact words of any HAL employee.

So go and enjoy your cruise(s)

Gary

I'm glad they took my advice...

;)

Mom2 and Gary.....Were you aware of the vibration in the cabin? If yes, was it difficult to sleep with the constant vibration?

We were in cabin 5002, as far forward as you could get on deck 5, we did not have a problem with vibration, however we hit some moderate seas and we did feel the rock and roll on the last night. When we were in the dining room we felt a little more vibration than normal. It was not as smooth as it could have been but it was not anything that could cause concern or ruin a cruise.

Gary

Gary, how long were you in each of the 3 ports?

Was your itinerary messed with at all?

We were on the Mercury coming into San Diego a year ago and we had to limp back in under the power of 1 engine. Did not seem to bother the cruise or itinerary, other than we did get to stay longer in San Diego.

Thanks so much, this is a special cruise for us coming up we have 8 cabins of friends going and some are 1st time cruisers.

I have to admit this is making me a little nervous since I planned the cruise! I want everyone to have a great cruise!

Teri

We were in Cabo from 12 -6 pm. Everything ran late there because we tendered and the water was really choppy.

We were in Mazatlan from 8 am - 5 or 6 pm (docked).

We were in Puerto Vallarta from 8 am to 6 pm (tendered).

The vibration on the ship was the worst I have felt on a cruise ship (six cruises) but it wasn't scary, just really noticeable.

The port days were shorter, especially Cabo, but it didn't matter too much. They did have to cancel some of the longer shore excursions.

We were in cabin 5002, as far forward as you could get on deck 5, we did not have a problem with vibration, however we hit some moderate seas and we did feel the rock and roll on the last night. When we were in the dining room we felt a little more vibration than normal. It was not as smooth as it could have been but it was not anything that could cause concern or ruin a cruise.

Gary

Thanks, Gary. I appreciate your taking time to answer these questions for us future Oosterdam cruisers!

We were in Cabo from 12 -6 pm. Everything ran late there because we tendered and the water was really choppy.

We were in Mazatlan from 8 am - 5 or 6 pm (docked).

We were in Puerto Vallarta from 8 am to 6 pm (tendered).

The vibration on the ship was the worst I have felt on a cruise ship (six cruises) but it wasn't scary, just really noticeable.

The port days were shorter, especially Cabo, but it didn't matter too much. They did have to cancel some of the longer shore excursions.

Thanks.....those port times sound useable to do something in each port.

mom2m&a,

You spoke of vibration in the dining room. Do you mean everything was shaking? (Last summer on the Statendam, when the ship was being turned the dining room shook so badlythat we had to hold onto our wineglasses. You could hear glassware clinking on all the tables.) That bad?

As for ship movement during moderate seas, constant vibration or more pitching side-to-side? I don't mind some movement--it's kinda nice---but constant vibration is not something I want to deal with for a week.

Now I'm beginning to feel uncomfortable about this cruise.

There was a constant vibration, especially in the aft of the ship. I always expect a little vibration, but it was really noticeable there and in our cabins (also aft). When we hit choppy seas on the last day and night, our cabins were creaking, growning, rattling (had to take the hangers out of the closet) and there was a lot rolling and shimmying movement in the back.

I'll bet that if you weren't aware of the extra vibration you wouldn't notice it. This is not something to spoil your vacation. It is truly a minor thing.

Cruznon

Because of the posts here you have an idea of what to expect when you go on your cruise, however, I believe you will have a great time regardless of the vibration or the Azipod issue. Go with an open mind and enjoy what there is to enjoy. Worrying about the little stuff only causes grey hair.

Have a great cruise.

There was a constant vibration, especially in the aft of the ship. I always expect a little vibration, but it was really noticeable there and in our cabins (also aft). When we hit choppy seas on the last day and night, our cabins were creaking, growning, rattling (had to take the hangers out of the closet) and there was a lot rolling and shimmying movement in the back.

I'll bet that if you weren't aware of the extra vibration you wouldn't notice it. This is not something to spoil your vacation. It is truly a minor thing.

Besides now HAL can claim an SOE exclusive only to the Oosterdam...vibrating beds!

Cruznon

Because of the posts here you have an idea of what to expect when you go on your cruise, however, I believe you will have a great time regardless of the vibration or the Azipod issue. Go with an open mind and enjoy what there is to enjoy. Worrying about the little stuff only causes grey hair.

Have a great cruise.

Cruznon,

Gary is right. Relax and enjoy.....things won't be that bad.:)

After some thought... so there's vibration...it's a beautiful ship and I'm glad I'm going! When you're in the aft cabins there's always more movement, so no big deal. I love the Oosterdam and I'll feel fortunate to be aboard. (My mother died a few weeks ago and it's been a difficult time for me, so DH surprised me and booked this cruise.)

We have an SY guar, some it will be interesting to see where we're assigned.

Thanks for the reassurance...I'm sure it will be fine. :)

After some thought... so there's vibration...it's a beautiful ship and I'm glad I'm going! When you're in the aft cabins there's always more movement, so no big deal. I love the Oosterdam and I'll feel fortunate to be aboard. (My mother died a few weeks ago and it's been a difficult time for me, so DH surprised me and booked this cruise.)

So sorry about your mother. Times like these can make you shaky emotionally...probably added to your trepidation about this cruise.

Your husband sounds like a keeper.....booking a cruise for you, how much nicer can he be?:)

Enjoy the cruise!

Cruznon,

We are sorry to hear about your mother - times like this make us all second guess what we are doing. I think your DH has the right idea by booking this cruise. Take care and the best to you and yours.

Gary

I enjoyed my cruise. My DH and I are critical thinkers and do rip things apart and compare... We had a great trip.

We went with 20 others, 5 of us are nurses at a local hospital and we kept saying to each other, " Any day cruising is better than a day at #$%% Hospital!"

Don't worry- use the negative comment to balance and compare your trip. Check my review November 18th-25th Thanksgiving

Thank you Sean, Gary, Ruth and Copper. I've alway found being at sea a wonderful experience, so I really look forward to being on my favorite ship once again.

So a little extra vibration??? Nothing to worry about...

Sean, I'm anxious to hear about your trip on the Oopsterpodam! I'm sure you'll have a great trip.

Archived