OS - Which Deck?

mdmourges

My wife and I are booking the 3/10/08 Miami to Miami cruise (first Oceania cruise) and we will be staying in one of the OS. First, any comments overall on this type room as opposed to the VS or a PS? And secondly, we need to pick between one located on the 6th floor or the 8th floor. My concern about the 8th floor is that I believe Tapas, or some other rest. is right above and I am concerned about our privacy when on the veranda. Any/all comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Mark & Janet

I've not stayed in an OS, but looking at the deck plans, I would prefer deck 6.

While deck six is over the dining room, I think much less noticeable noise would be generated there than being under Tapas.

Generally speaking, I prefer being lower in the ship anyway, particularly in "bumpy" seas.

We've been on deck 6 of Pacific Princess (a sister ship), and deck 4 of Regatta. We will again be on deck 4 on Nautica, later this month, Istanbul to Singapore via the Suez.

What we particularly liked about this OS was the size of the veranda, which seemed to be bigger than those above, big enough for a nice sized cocktail party. If you are at all subject to motion sickness, better to be on a lower deck.

We have been in both and would definitely take 6 over 8.....less noise and larger balcony. And there is no comparison between the vista and owners suites....we have been in both. You will love your balcony, especially doing a warm climate cruise......enjoy your first Oceania cruise....you will be hooked on doing many more.....an incredible cruise line...

Brenda

you will enjoy and have fun, 7114 is our fav owners, as u say no noise from tapas and also high enough. however I dont think 6th is a problem with OS. we have had a 7 VS which is different but excellent in its on right, but have heard comments that a 6th VS has a problem regards noise when docking.

regards

jimgib

My wife and I have two cruises booked on Regatta. In March we have OS 7114 for the March/April repositioning - Miami to Marseille. In JuneJuly we have VS 6003 for the Northern Europe.

Here is our rather complicated rationale. We had 6003 in the Mediterrean in 2005. It is very noisey when they drop anchor, but that is, IMHO, totally compensated for by watching the crew work right in front of the cabin. The views from the front of the ship going into Venice were to die for, and I have a wonderful picture of the sailing ship Amerigo Vespucci with a beuatiful sunset behind her taken from our verandah. So for views I highly recommend the front of the ship. We did have a big rainstorm one night, and the rug got quite wet from water driven under the door.

So for the transatlantic crossing we have gone for OS 7114 because we think it might be better if (when?) we run into heavy weather. We also thought Deck 7 would be quieter.

We are long-term HAL cruisers, with a preference for ships smaller than Vista class. We normally travel in a Deluxe Verandah Suite on HAL, and do enjoy the Neptune Lounge. We have also tried a PH, which is great for a party, but significant overkill for a couple. We really like the size and ambiance on the Oceania OS/VS accomodations, and the butler service is very nice.

We also just got back from an RCCL trip - way too many people, but lots of interesting cubbyholes for a drink. Mediocre food compared to HAL or Oceania, who both provide really upscale dining - again IMHO.

My wife and I have two cruises booked on Regatta. In March we have OS 7114 for the March/April repositioning - Miami to Marseille. In JuneJuly we have VS 6003 for the Northern Europe.

Here is our rather complicated rationale. We had 6003 in the Mediterrean in 2005. It is very noisey when they drop anchor, but that is, IMHO, totally compensated for by watching the crew work right in front of the cabin. The views from the front of the ship going into Venice were to die for, and I have a wonderful picture of the sailing ship Amerigo Vespucci with a beuatiful sunset behind her taken from our verandah. So for views I highly recommend the front of the ship. We did have a big rainstorm one night, and the rug got quite wet from water driven under the door.

So for the transatlantic crossing we have gone for OS 7114 because we think it might be better if (when?) we run into heavy weather. We also thought Deck 7 would be quieter.

We are long-term HAL cruisers, with a preference for ships smaller than Vista class. We normally travel in a Deluxe Verandah Suite on HAL, and do enjoy the Neptune Lounge. We have also tried a PH, which is great for a party, but significant overkill for a couple. We really like the size and ambiance on the Oceania OS/VS accomodations, and the butler service is very nice.

We also just got back from an RCCL trip - way too many people, but lots of interesting cubbyholes for a drink. Mediocre food compared to HAL or Oceania, who both provide really upscale dining - again IMHO.

HI FELLOW CRUISERS:

2 YEARS AGO WE WERE IN A VISTA SUITE ON REGATTA, CRUISING THE BALTIC. WE JUST LOVED IT. WE CHOSE A VS BECAUSE WE PREFER THE VERY FRONT OF A SHIP. HUBBY & I LIKE TO SEE WHERE WE ARE GOING, RATHER THAN SEEING WHERE WE HAVE BEEN :) JUST A MATTER OF PREFERENCE.

OVER CHRISTMAS & NEW YEARS WE WILL BE CRUISING ASIA ON THE NAUTICA & WE WERE SO EXCITED TO GET THE SAME VS AS BEFORE. BTW OUR VISTA SUITE WAS/IS 7004

WELL EVERYONE - HAVE A GREAT THANKSGIVING

HAPPY CRUISING

MYRA

• 2 weeks later...

6th deck OS are the best..the decks are deeper also.

Of all the cruises I have taken on these ships- even from Ren days, have always had 6091-OS..first time had to "settle" for 8th floor OS on latest Med cruise..and it was noisy from the restaurant in am with people pulling chairs..

would definetly go for 6th floor if you can get it.;)

My wife and I have two cruises booked on Regatta. In March we have OS 7114 for the March/April repositioning - Miami to Marseille.

If you are on the March 2007 TA on Regatta....you might want to join the roll call on the Oceania Roll Calls.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=360820

Here is a link to the 2007 March TA.

Sharon

We were in 7114 in December 2004 on Regatta and 8067 this past June on Nautica.

For what its worth we really liked being on deck 8 much better. For one we actually had the same Butler for the entire cruise. On the first cruise the Butlers all worked up on deck 8 so the passengers in the OS on deck 6 and 7 ended up with whoever was available when service was needed. Perhaps they have changed that condition since that was two years ago - don't know - but I didn't care for it as the butlers never really got in sync with all my nuances (and trust me I have several that take getting used to - my wife is constantly apologizing to everyone for how anal I am). We have 7114 upcoming in March back on Regatta and then back to 8067 on Regatta again for our Baltic cruise in August. So I guess we will find out this March if they have sorted out the Butler service.

We also enjoyed just being one deck down from the pool and casual dining area. We didn't notice any noise from above - but then we are early risers so chair noise or thumping in the morning from above would not have bothered us. Since the aft of the ship is so social we really enjoyed being able to converse with the people on the other balconies - but then that would be the same for all suites I guess.

I understand Regatta is going into a dry dock prior to the European season this summer but does anyone know if they have updated the furniture/tv in the living room yet in the OS. The improvements on Nautica were really nice and we were hoping Regatta will already have been completed prior to March.

"one we actually had the same Butler for the entire cruise. On the first cruise the Butlers all worked up on deck 8 so the passengers in the OS on deck 6 and 7 ended up with whoever was available when service was needed. "

I have been in OS 7119 on Nautica and Regatta in the past year. We had the same butler all the time.

As of 11/03/06 the new TV and furniture was not in the Regatta OS.

I have been in OS 7119 on Nautica and Regatta in the past year. We had the same butler all the time.

As of 11/03/06 the new TV and furniture was not in the Regatta OS.

Well thats encouraging about the butler situation. Too bad about the furniture as I really do think it is a great improvement.

Thanks for the info though.

Butlers all worked up on deck 8 so the passengers in the OS on deck 6 and 7 ended up with whoever was available when service was needed.

HI THERE:

WE WERE ON THE REGATTA 2 YEARS AGO FOR THE BALTIC CRUISE, AND WE WERE IN A VISTA SUITE ON DECK 7. WE HAD THE MOST WONDERFUL BUTLER WITH US THE WHOLE TIME. HE WAS VERY ATTENTIVE TO OUR NEEDS. EVEN THO I WASNT TOO SURE OF WHAT TO DO WITH A BUTLER :D

IN A LITTLE OVER A WEEK WE WILL BE ON THE NAUTICA FOR THE CHRISTMAS - NEW YEARS CRUISE OF ASIA. WE WERE SO LUCKY TO GET THE SAME SUITE AGAIN (DECK 7) AND NOW I UNDERSTAND WHAT A BUTLER IS & DOES. ;)

TAKE CARE EVERYONE

HAPPY CRUISING

MYRA

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all for your help. We just booked a B2B from Valparaiso to Rio in Feb. of '08. We were dismayed to learn that we were wait listed for OS - have since learned that we have cleared for 6088 on the first leg, but confirmed for a vista suite on second leg - will wait for outcome of OS waitlist - TA says chances are good. Based on all of your comments, 6088 looks lke best result.

Archived