Cell Phones on Cruise Ships

kwsunset

Garry,

While I carry my cell phone everywhere, except on vacations, I too find it very annoying that some people seem to be oblivious to their surroundings when using these little electronic marvels. I always have mine on silent mode instead of ring and always find a quiet place when I have to use the little devil. That said I believe that all these gagets are the way things are evolving. Defining and putting rules around their use would be more realistic an aprroach than trying to get them banned. Everyone who hates these things should complain to the cruiselines loudly and repeatly through those little cruise cards we are given and emails to Jack, Victoria, or whomever. All companies react to what their customer base is telling them, some sooner than others. That said there will always be those that break the rules...:(

Bill

Was that you???? Yes you did. It's fun to get other people's reactions, and see if it's as annoying to them as it is to me. 10_1_11.gif

Garry

I took my cellphone with me last year when I was on the Constellation. A cellphone doesn't generally work very well when you are at sea and I don't think this new idea is going to make it much better (think of the satellite connection for the internet on the ships -- when the ship turns a certain way, the connection is lost).

I only used my cell phone when I was in port and I probably only made about 3 or 4 calls in 14 days. Perhaps that is the answer -- the cruise lines should ban cell phone usage while passengers are on the ship. They can be used while in port (off the ship).

Quite a few people had cell phones, but it really wasn't a problem.

Garry,

While I carry my cell phone everywhere, except on vacations, I too find it very annoying that some people seem to be oblivious to their surroundings when using these little electronic marvels. I always have mine on silent mode instead of ring and always find a quiet place when I have to use the little devil. That said I believe that all these gagets are the way things are evolving. Defining and putting rules around their use would be more realistic an aprroach than trying to get them banned. Everyone who hates these things should complain to the cruiselines loudly and repeatly through those little cruise cards we are given and emails to Jack, Victoria, or whomever. All companies react to what their customer base is telling them, some sooner than others. That said there will always be those that break the rules...:(

Bill

Bill, I heard on the news that the airlines were experimenting with a way to use the phones during flights. Wouldn't that be horriblel! I can visualize it now. They'd be talking loud so they could be heard over the engine noise and the poor passengers would not be able to get away from it. 29_3_15.gif

Garry

Garry,

OT, While I don't doubt the validity of what you heard, it is currently against F.C.C. rules to use any device that has 2 way transmission capabilities, except maybe a pure PDA (one way), while inflight. But it is allowed to use those annoying things once you have landed and are taxiing (sp???) to the gate. It is rather annoying to have someone start to talk on those things while your ears are still popping!!!.

Bill, I heard on the news that the airlines were experimenting with a way to use the phones during flights. Wouldn't that be horriblel! I can visualize it now. They'd be talking loud so they could be heard over the engine noise and the poor passengers would not be able to get away from it. 29_3_15.gif

Garry

New Cell Phone Law

I don't know if you've heard, but starting Jan 1, 2004 you will no longer be able to use a cell phone while driving unless you have a "hands free" adapter.

I went to Circuit City and they wanted $50 for a headset with a boom microphone for my cell phone. Having a friend in the cell phone business, I talked with him and was able to come up with an alternative, working through Office Depot.

These kits are compatible with any mobile phone and one size fits all. I paid $0.08 each because I bought in quantity. I'm selling them for only $1.00. I tried them out on Erickson, Motorola, and Nokia phones and they worked perfectly.

A photo is attached, scroll down. Take a look and let me know if you want one. Also, forward this to anyone you know who may want one!

If it’s good enough for Hillary …

hillary.jpg.79b638c6a08ce1ccc5e26253ab5fde07.jpg

Newt, you're a riot! 4_1_72.gif I think I'll pass. I'm a good girl and don't use my phone while driving.

Bill, I know phones are off-limit during flight. That's what I'm talking about. They're experimenting with a way to use them IN FLIGHT.:eek:

Garry

I wonder, why it is possible to provide a cell phone connection for around $ 1.70 while a call from the stateroom (via satellite) still costs about five times as much.

Wouldn't it be possible for a cruise line to route the "regular" calls via the same connection as the GSM calls and therefore provide more attractive rates? I even imagine, that this would net them more profits, since a lot more pax would use the phone on board.

???

CMJ

Qualcomm here in San Diego just last week tested a new plane based cell system that works at a lower power and doesn't mess with the avionics. Interesting read in that the bigger reason they aren't allowed on planes is the way they overload the land based cells because of the planes speed over ground and the inability of the land based cells to deal with them.

It may be a similar setup that the cruise lines are considering for ships. It can be bad enough in that crowded aluminum tube with a few hundred people without bunch of morons going "well he said, she said,...I'm on my way to Hawaii... blah blah blah. I can only hope they make it expensive enough to discourage most people.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20040716/news_1n16phones.html

Rich

Hi Phil

Well kind of, but with some reality thrown in. I brought my son a set of those "noiseless" headsets for his trip to Spain and he said they were great. Cut all the cabin noise out and he was able to sleep on the plane. Maybe the cruiselines will have one of these things in each cabin to offset the effects of all the electronic invasions that they are willing to unlease on us???? ;)

Bill

Bill

I tried some on a flight to Florida in May. They were airline supplied so not the best, but they did cut out a lot of the jet hum. I have seen the BOSE ones advertised here in the UK, for a price. If it ever happens and they cut out the sounds of mobile phones on cruise ships, I might buy a pair.:o

My view is if mobile phones are 'enabled' on cruise ships, whilst the majority of people will be considerate, a small minority will really spoil it for everyone. You can make as many rules and regulations as you want restricting their use to certain area and times, but some people will not listen. Leave cruise ships mobile free, I say!

Phil

Well hello NiniB, where have you been? I have missed your wit and charm. So are you going to wear your best sack in the dining room while you are dinning away on your cell phone? Is it one of those new head to toe jobs that I have seen recently at the Paris fashion shows?? BTW, I still love your green fonts. :D

Bill

I can talk on my cell phone while I sit in the dinning room dressed in a sack!! :eek:

Woooh hooh,,, that ought to get all those " REFINED & HIGH-BROW" folks in an uproar!!!!!:p

I don't own a cell phone. I'm getting one for the car. I think people are addicted to them. I don't like distracted people in public situations, they become rude without knowing it. People think they can multitask well but they don't really multitask well. I'm totally against cell phones on ships in public areas of the ship and would allow them only in staterooms (where some say they won't work well). I agree with the poster that doesn't want them used on balconies.

I had my cell phone with me on my last cruise but was to have it available on the way to the ship and on the way back home. Once on the ship the darn thing went in the safe and stayed there until we got back to Ft Lauderdale....well not quite...got it out the last night to recharge it. I live with a cell phone and a Blackberry as part of work. NOT ON MY VACATION!!!!!:(

My wife and I are only children, we have no children. My father is 86, my mother is 83 with sever Alzheimers, my father looks after her with no other help than what we can give. I do as much for him as i can, which often just reuires a phone call.

I have arranged for his brother and sister in law- both in their 60's, who don't drive to stay at our house for the first few days we are away. I have given their key to 2 of our friends and their neighbour. I have written out a dialy contact list for myself, and its more than just a seven night cruise. I have listed cousins, aunts, solicitors, builders, utlilites, doctors, etc etc.

Why?

Because my wife and I need a break. But all the time at the back of my mind is a worry about what could happen to my parents whilst I am a very long way away.

So in these circumstances a phone gives my a lot of reassurance and helps me to get away. But I am considerate, I don't want people hearing my conversation any more than they do. I liken it to the smoker who always holds the cigarette away form their own face when not inhaling. Its just bad manners - but then wherever we go there will always be bad mannered people.

So can we please just think a little before blaming the phone - and as others have said consider the users. I don't wish to cause anybody offence, or to be offended by others, but in certain circumstances it can happen, and then we have to show tolerence.

Rodney

[QUOTE]You can make as many rules and regulations as you want restricting their use to certain area and times, but some people will not listen.[/QUOTE]

And therein lies the rub. A group (business, social or other) can make all the rules they want. There will be the few who will choose to go their own way: "It's only a rule, not a law. And, besides, my situation is special."

So, the rest of us will put up with the one or two morons who just cannot do without calling home or taking the call from home during dinner or the show or standing in the buffet line, etc. I agree that there are some who may have a compelling need for communication and have respect for their fellow passengers. I have no quarrel with them.

I have never seen a cel phone in use when at sea. OTOH when the ship pulls in to a cel freindly port they are everywhere. This is what leads me to believe that if cel phone service becomes available, the rude minority will take advantage of it. Further prediction: They will gripe about the cost and try to have it taken off of the bill. :eek:

We have already gotten a taste of this possibility. We were on the Galaxy last Christmas. We boarded on the 17th but remain docked in San Juan another day. So on the evening of the 18th we were at dock. We strolled into the diningroom for our dinner. What did we find, at two adjacet tables there were folks on their cell phones. Not only one person but at one table three people were on three phones. This was a group that was traveling together. Additionally, they were dressed in their jeans and sport logo evening wear. What a treat to start our "elegant holiday cruise"! It didn't get much better from there, but at least the sea prevented additional, "Hi! Guess where we are conversations!"
Oh My!

kilted scout

The theme here is about having mobile phone access throughout the cruise. I have no doubt you use your phone considerately, but the fact is some people don't. If there are any emergencies, family and friends can contact you on the ship's satellite service. You are not totally out of touch.

Having tolerance for others is ok to a point, but putting up with mobile phones for the whole cruise would severely test mine. That is just my opinion.

Phil

Phil

You have a good point but from a cost point of view using the sat link from the uk is very expensive - but in an emergency who's counting.

As a Group Scout Leader I have had to ban phones from camps after a boy phoned his father during the night to come and pick him up. The father, who's a policeman did just that and was ready to take the boy home without telling any of us leaders! Can you imaginge the next morning. Fortunatley we have out own camp security that stopped the boy leaving with the father until he had been identified.

We hade another boy who's mother had said to text her everytime he was tols or asked to do something by a leader, so she could consider it and make the decision for him!! Poor lad.

So I have no love of mobiles and am aware of how they can be abused.

To paraphrase a sign seen in an English pub

Please do not use your mobile phone in my presence as a smack in the mouth tends to offend

Regards

Rodney

[quote name='wlewis5038']Why not a smoke-free, cell-free, chair hog-free cruise ship?[/QUOTE]
:D add "child-free" and I'm there. ;)

I would prefer not to have cell phones on board. The ship has limited spacing it would be very rare for you to not be around anyone when you're talking on your cell phone.

As for emergencies there are numbers in case of an emergency.

I think too many people don't get away from it all and do themselves a disservice because of it.

Archived