Cell Phones on Cruise Ships

kwsunset

Since so many on this thread feel so negative about cell phone usage, maybe you can explain to me WHY?? If I'm sitting on the Lido deck with a companion having a conversation, does that irritate you? If I pass you in the hallway talking to a friend, does that make you mad? If I'm talking to my fellow diners in the dining room, is that grounds for being thrown overboard??? If I do all this in a normal tone of voice, noone will give me a second look. But if I do the same thing, using the exact same tone and level of voice on a cellphone, many will go ballistic. I honestly don't understand the problem. Is it because subconsiously you're mad because you can only hear one side of the conversation? I have a friend who can't stand to see someone on a cellphone, she doesn't even have to be close enough to hear the conversation, she just wants to go over and rip the phone away and punch the person. I've asked her to explain, but she can't. If I want to call a friend and say "Guess where I am?", in a normal voice, why does this make you mad???? I'm not being facetious here, I honestly would like to know why it irritates so many people. And I'm not talking about somebody yelling and screaming into a phone as that is just as bad whether between 2 people face to face or one-sided using a cell.

a) because most people DON'T speak at normal voice levels when on the cell phone. If reception is bad people raise their voices, etc. Even in a restaurant, haven't you ever noticed how you can pick out the person on a cell phone in a heartbeat just by listening? Perhaps it's just human nature to speak a little louder into the phone.

b)The ringing is obnoxious. I don't care if you use a regular ring or a cute little song. It's obnoxious. Unfortunately, most people aren't considerate enough to put it on 'vibrate' in public places.

OK, let me start by saying that we are a household of four cell phones.

A couple of observations: If you get behind a car in the fastlane of the freeway doing 10 MPH or more under the speed limit, it will usually be a man talking on a cell phone; If a full size SUV backs out of a parking space at the market directly into your path, it will usually be a woman on a cell phone.

There is a real oblivion factor involved as mentioned by 98Charlie. That leads to the louder than normal speaking voice, the phones ringing in the theatre, etc.

Having said that, I took my phone on our last two cruises. It hardly worked anywhere, but when it did, I only used it on shore or in the cabin.

Regards

On the contrary I think most are considerate with their cell phones. I think you would be surprised how many people use them and you don't notice because they are using the respectfully. There are a handful of people who will have a loud obnoxious ring and speak loudly and they irritate everybody including people who use them respectfully. The issue here is manners not cell phones. In a few months they will most likely be all over X (once the system is in place) and most will see that there are only a handful of rude people and you will then have a choice. 1. let them irritate and ruin your vacation or 2. Ignore it and enjoy yourself! I hope you pick the last.

Unfortunately there is a third option, confrontation. We have all seen it and it is not pretty. I have seen it around the pool, in the buffet, in the bingo line of all places, in the line for the tenders, at debarkation, and most especially in the showroom. Oh well, I just roll my eyes and move on. Life is too short and people will either get over it or die of the stress. :cool:

[quote name='BB5953']
1. let them irritate and ruin your vacation or 2. Ignore it and enjoy yourself! I hope you pick the last.[/QUOTE]

I have to partially agree with your opinion. I have absolutely no problem with most cell phone use, it's none of my business what other peoples conversations are. I worry about the ones who let what other people do make them so angry.

I only have a problem with it if the person on the cell is ignoring everyone around them for the sake of their converation. Whether they are in a car, restaurant, grocery store, at the park ignoring their kids etc.... My husband, a hair stylist for over 25 years, is now faced with the client wanting to use the phone during a haircut. When he tells them the phone is in his way, they will merely change ears. Those people will have to get used to crooked haircuts.

It's kind of sad to see society reducing their interaction to friends, family and business contacts. I would like to see more people hang up their phones and pay attention to the life that is actually in front of them.

[quote name='BB5953']On the contrary I think most are considerate with their cell phones. I think you would be surprised how many people use them and you don't notice because they are using the respectfully. There are a handful of people who will have a loud obnoxious ring and speak loudly and they irritate everybody including people who use them respectfully. The issue here is manners not cell phones. In a few months they will most likely be all over X (once the system is in place) and most will see that there are only a handful of rude people and you will then have a choice. 1. let them irritate and ruin your vacation or 2. Ignore it and enjoy yourself! I hope you pick the last.[/QUOTE]
I would never let something trivial ruin my vacation. Trust me. I'm not the least offended if the person sitting next to me isn't dressed according to the suggested dress code either. How they dress is up to them. (I was on one cruise where this guy who got transferred to our table, came to dinner looking like he'd slept next to the pool all night, hair all over the place, missing teeth, and was wearing shorts and a hawaiian shirt on formal night. I thought he looked ridiculous and I'm sure I made a sarcastic remark afterwards to my husband about it but it didn't impact my vacation in the least.)

The problem is people lack manners (or even IMO common sense.) Common sense would tell me that the other few hundred people up by the pool don't want to hear my phone ringing....so I could leave it in my room or put it on vibrate. And/or only answer it/use it when I was in my cabin or some other private location.

Celebrity can't enforce manners nor common sense. It can however, say cell phones are or not acceptable. (Not that they'll actually enforce that either....)

A wash and wear kinda lady huh???:D

[quote name='NiniB'][color=lime]KS I need my doo done??? :D How about a hook up? ;) I won't bring my cell phone,, A little bleach & Hi lites and I'm GOOD to go.....:rolleyes: [/color][/QUOTE]

Uh oh.:( Here's an article in CNN online today.

[url="http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/07/21/cruise.technology.ap/index.html"]http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/07/21/cruise.technology.ap/index.html[/url]

Garry

Garry, you are not making me feel any better;) :( I understand what the pro posters are saying, but the fact is I like the peace and quiet with no mobiles and Celebrity's zero announcement policy.

BB9593, no it wouldn't ruin my vacation. If I was bothered enough by some inconsiderate passenger whose mobile rang, who then proceeded to walk around talking loudly on it and strolling toward me in a world of their own without due regard for my personal space, that wouldn't make me "sad" either. I have no issues with what people wear to dinner or choose to bring on board in the way of drink in their carry on or the like. I do have issues with someone who was to cut in front of me in the queue (and I have never experienced that) or show general inconsideration toward me. I put the use of mobiles phones in my presence in the same category. Nothing any of you say will change my opinion, and it is my opinion;)

Nikole, you and I are on the same wavelength, I think (no pun intended:D ).

Phil

excitedofharpenden - I am not sure where you got the impression that I called you sad if you were bothered in fact if you would read the posts I said that most people including those who use their cell phones would be annoyed by the obnoxious cell phone users. What I did say if you had taken the time to read was that people who would begin a confrontation with someone using a cell phone would be sad and IT WOULD BE we are not teenagers! I don't care what you wear to dinner or bring on board as I have said in many posts (though not on this one) no one has that much influence over my vacation. I agree I would be upset if someone cut in front of me also. But I have to say I NEVER commented on any of these things so I am not sure why this was directed to me - perhaps you are confused. I don't think anyone is trying to change your opinion just help you become more open minded... Good luck!!!

Well, I'm still not understanding the reasoning behind cellphone phobia. On my cruise in March on Galaxy, there were lots of loud people and not a cellphone in sight. So, I can assume from that experience that cellphones are not the precipitating cause of loudness. And the sound of the ring in an open, public place (not in the theater or dining room, I agree that would be rude), is no more obnoxious than the group of fun loving pasengers laughing, talking loudly and generally having a good time, or the band playing in the background, or people splashing and playing in the pool. Actually, if there is hardly any noise, I can't even hear my phone ring.

Even with the prevalence of cellphones today, I can't remember the last time I noticed someone talking so loudly as to drown-out the other ambient noise. And I can't invision a hoard of cellphone users descending on the ships just because they will soon be able to make satellite calls (which will still cost a pretty penny!). Certainly not to the extent that there is already a move to have them banned or usage restricted.

I'm single, I frequently travel solo, both for work and pleasure. On the Galaxy cruise, I didn't know a soul. I tried to find the CC group who posted here prior to sailing but failed. So at sailaway (San Juan), I called by best friend to share the moment. I didn't raise my voice or knock anyone down. I just wanted to talk to someone and everyone around me was occupied with their own groups. Would those of you so opposed to cells have been offended if you had seen me? Was there probably someone watching me thinking what a rude and obnoxious person I was?? I hope not, but if they were (insert raspberry blowing smilie here). On a work trip last year, I was seated at a table for 1 in a casual resturant. There was a table close by with several men all drinking, talking very loudly and laughing. I took out my cell and called to check my messages. I didn't talk, my phone didn't ring. But one of the "gentlemen" at that table gave me a "look" and shook his head. Who would you have branded rude in that situation?

I still don't understand the vehemence associated by some with the simple act of talking into a phone. If I'm not with you or talking to you, why would you be insulted if I talked on my phone? Why would that be rude? You have a person to talk to, why is it OK for you just because that person is physically there with you? If we are both talking in the same tone and volume, why would I be an obnoxious boor? Seriously, I really want to understand since I do travel so much solo and the cell haters are everywhere!

emerald

Let me try to explain from my point of view:

[list=1]
[*]I don't like the sound of mobiles going off near me when I am on holiday to rest (there is only so many times you can enjoy the Nokia ring tone)
[*]Quite a few people speak VERY LOUDLY on a mobile phone
[*]When you are on a mobile phone, you are much less aware of your surroundings. The impact is that you have less regard for those around you. I have been around a mobile phone user at work, when they have literally bumped into me, because of their pre-occupation with their conversation. For some reason, there appears to be a distinct difference between a persons abiltities to concentrate when speaking on a mobile as opposed to normal person to person conversation.
[/list]I am not a "hater" of mobile phone users. Hate is a very strong word that I would reserve for the very few. However this thread was started with the subject matter of being able to use mobiles throughout a cruise. No thank you very much (for all of the above reasons).

Phil

Didn't you just re-state the reasons we already gave? :D

Unfortunately, Emerald I haven't found most people to be as considerate as you sound like you are when using your cell phone.

I don't think you can equate the overall talking and people enjoying themselves around the pool on the lido deck, having drinks, laughing it up to a phone ringing.

Phil - "Nikole, you and I are on the same wavelength, I think (no pun intended )."

Should I be worried? :)

(Although I am impressed, I think you're one of the first ones to have spelled my name right.)

Archived