Cell Phones on Cruise Ships

kwsunset

Just read this news item on Excite:

"The tranquility many passengers cherish on cruises may be shattered by the cacophony of ringing cell phones. A new service makes regular mobile phones work even when communications towers are miles of ocean away.

It's just the latest way technology is changing cruise vacations, which now offer Internet access, pay-per-view television and digital music libraries."

"Carnival Corp. (CCL) & PLC, the world's largest cruise company, is testing cell phone service on its Costa Cruises line in Europe and plans to eventually install the equipment on more ships, said Trevor Brydges, Carnival's supervisor of shipboard technology.

Carnival's main rival, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (RCL), just began offering the service on the Island Escape, a ship it operates on the Mediterranean through a joint venture. The line is considering adding it to other ships, too.

AT&T Wireless Services Inc. (AWE) and Maritime Telecommunications Network Inc. created the system used on the Island Escape. Wireless equipment on the ship relays calls to satellite transmitters, which then beam the signals to shore.

Charges for cruise cell calls appear on the user's wireless bill at home. The service is currently available only for phones on the GSM network standard.

Prices for U.S.-based cruises haven't been set yet, but they could be similar to rates on European cruises, where the price per minute can be about $1.69, roughly the same as a roaming call, AT&T Wireless spokeswoman Rochelle Cohen said. In comparison, satellite phone calls can cost $6 to $8 a minute.

The cell phone signals piggyback on systems that transmit Internet data to cruise ships via satellite. Since Internet service was introduced about five years ago, it has grown to be used by about 15 percent of passengers, industry officials said."

I think this would be terrible on ANY ship. What do you think?

Michael

Unfortuanately cell phones and the jerks that use them are a way of life. I am not addicted to a cell phone so I see no need to bring one on vacation but I am in the minority. To all the cell phone pain in the tails and you know who you are, maybe you should stay at home if you need the phone so bad or maybe start a 12 step program.

Mixed feeling here...

I like the idea of cheaper calls home, in case of an emergancy or some sort of last minute travel arrangements. However I can already see people in the dining rooms and show lounges making rudely answering their phones or making those "guess where I am" calls.

BTW, AT&T recently added the virgin islands and PR to the US calling area, so alot of people could just save some money waiting to get into port. I also wondering if I'm standing on deck in a port where I have service if that will be a roaming call or not.

Unfortunately cels are here to stay. Yes I have one but can't imagine why I would need it on a cruise. If it's that much of an emergency, I'll pay the $7.00 per minute or whatever.

Just one more chapter in the Decline and Fall of the Cruising Civilization.

I have very mixed feelings about this cell phone thread. While I think it is rude to have a cell phone out during dining , I think people who own businesses have to keep in touch. My husband is in business for himself and we travel alot but we are never truly on vacation. There are some people who need answers now not 7 days from now. We always take the cell phone with us but generally leave it in the cabin picking up messages when we get back to the cabin. We often think it would be nice to have a job with a pension and 5 weeks of vacation, but it was not our choice so many years ago. Life is good to us but we work hard to get what we got. Pat

Same here. On a cruise my cell is in my purse OFF, since it isn't active unless I am USA (50 states) USVI or Puerto Rico. Even then I do not take it on excursions, out to dinner, in fact it stays in the car where folks can leave a message to be called back when I return.

The airlines do have it in case of a change, so I get that message when we are disembarking or on the bus to the airport whether cruise or just Maui.

We went to see I-Robot & a great ad for turning off pagers & cells, had the Nokia ring & the character asks who has their phone on. Folks all looking since it sounded like behind us. Then they state to turn it off. And they did!

The whole idea drives me up the wall. Very tired of inconsiderate cell users interrupting my dining, my land-based poolside relaxation and just a casual walk down the street. Cannot even imagine having to put up with the same buffoons in a cruise ship dining room (GUARANTEE these people will use the phones there--maximum effect) or while I am quietly daydreaming by the pool ("WOW, you just won't believe where I am calling you from...how is the weather there...it is divine here...what are you having for dinner...we are having lobster tonite...yada yada yada).

The "have to be in touch for business every minute or with our house sitter or pet sitter" is, IMHO, flimsy at best. You have email available on virtually every modern ship, satellite phone available (yes, at a cost, but that is part of doing business) and phones in port. These communication options allow you to keep in touch and yet not bother your fellow passengers.

From this end, I am totally opposed to cell phone capability on a cruise ship. This, BTW, is spoken by one who has 3 businesses plus numerous rental properties that need attention when we are away. We have learned to deal with both normal business activity and major problems by taking advantage of email (ship and in port), ship satellite phones and phones in port. 16 cruises all over the world and never have had a problem that we couldn't solve.

If I could believe that people would restrict the cell phone use to their cabin, I would have no qualms, but knowing the extreme rudeness of many, many cellphone users, I am certain that I am living in a dream world to believe that would happen.

Vote a hearty NO WAY here....

Well, like it or not cell phones are not going away. Neither are the walkie Talkies. But perhaps cruiselines should put some rules in place as to where they can be used on a ship. Much like there are now rules on where you can smoke. Who would have thought 20 - 25 years ago that there would be rules on smoking?? Just a thought, why not control the use of electronic devices rather then try and fight a losing battle..

Yes, restricting where they could be used would be a great solution. Unfortunately, it's not going to happen, since the cruise lines will be getting a nice chunk of the per minute cost (you didn't really think they are rolling this out as a "passenger convenience" did you?). The cruise lines would love to see hundreds of passengers on every deck and in every public room chatting away. Ka-ching, ka-ching, ka-ching.

Even if there are restrictions on the use of cel phones, most of us know the nature of the human beast.

• My situation is different.
  • This is really an important call
  • I'm not really bothering anyone
  • What business is it of yours if I am talking
  • etc
  • etc
  • etc

We were at a restaurant, new to our neighborhood, who have a British phone booth with a sign "Quiet Cell Area". It is the ONLY area a cell may be used in the restaurant. It states it in the menu on the header too. APPLAUSE!!!

If there were rules that the phones could only be used in cabins (not balconies), I think it would be O.K. It would be nice to know that family could reach us in case of an emergency. That would be the only reason we would take our phone.

We had a bad experience with cell phone use on our last cruise. We were on the Century and had a sky suite. As we were leaving Key West, someone was standing on the balcony right above us yelling into her phone the entire time we were leaving. It totally ruined the departure. Why do people yell into their phones?:confused:

Garry

Thank gawd there is a Carnival Cruise Line...it at least gives people who don't care about a traditional cruise experience a place to go and have their idea of a "vacation". Hopefully this will keep the pressure OFF Celebrity to follow suit.

The last time we planned on using the phones at the dock to call the kids back home. Guess what? You could not get anywhere near those phones, there was a line 5 deep at each phone with crew waiting for them. We eventually found a pay phone in town to make the call, it took us a lot of precious vacation time. The phone conversation was under 10 minutes, the search for the phone was around an hour. So, we always take a phone with us now for emergencies.

There is no one else in the world, besides my children, that I cannot go a week without speaking to.

Why do people yell into their phones?

1. A bad/weak connection.
  2. For the same reason people talk louder to a blind person. (Still haven't figured that one out)
  3. They are rude and don't care.
  4. They yell at everyone anyway. (Family, friends, co-workers, crew, the man in the mirror :eek: )

I think that this is a good thing - I think the majority of cruisers do take their cell phones and it goes without being noticed. Cell phones received a bad rap with a few people because a hand full of cruisers are rude - keep in mind that these are probably the same people who do not follow dress code, push and shove in line and are overall rude. It has nothing to do with cell phones.

Garry,

Didn't you ask this question before and I gave you the high tech answer???? :D

Bill

Was that you???? Yes you did. It's fun to get other people's reactions, and see if it's as annoying to them as it is to me. 10_1_11.gif

Garry

Why not make it easier for the hundreds of peope who use them respectfully- because of a handful of rude people?

For the same reason that there are any kind of laws. Only a few people may abuse the law, but the rules apply to all. It is fairly obvious that many cell phone users have no inclination to police themselves (e.g., driving while talking, talking in restaurants, yelling into their phones in public places, etc.) so why would it be any different on a cruise ship? Open this can of worms and dress codes and toddlers in the pool will be the least of your worries.

It doesn't look like anyone needs to open "this can of worms" because soon it will be a non issue. You would be surprised at how many people are already using their cell phones on the ship. Using a cell phone harms no one so there is no reason why cruise lines shouldn't make this modern day convenience easier for its passengers. Now I do think there should be some guidelines but if there is going to be a fee involved then I think most people will limit themselves as to not incur a large bill. Lets not complain until there is a reason too. You may even like this new addition and if not then the great thing about it is that you don't have to take your phone. It is a win win situation!

Archived