Motion on Crown Princess

Travelover

The ship is supposed to move. I'm just telling you that people who have cruised many times on many different ship said the movement was worse on this ship. I have no idea why but that was the basic feeling i got from talking to experienced cruisers. The final report did not come out yet on the Crown "tip" cruise I will wait patiently. I'm not saying anything bad about the Crown I'm just relaying what the feeling was on board from people have cruised a lot. Don't ask me why but that was the information i gathered on board before and after the the "tip".
I doubt that you or anyone else will find any connection between what happened due to a violent helm maneuver and perceived feelings about ship's motion.

What people might be feeling, and I'm guessing, is accentuated motion when the ship is traveling at higher speeds to cover large distances, and stabilizers might be retracted. They cause a lot of drag and from what I've read here, are sometimes pulled in so that the ship can go a little faster. That being the case, you might feel more motion.

I doubt that you or anyone else will find any connection between what happened due to a violent helm maneuver and perceived feelings about ship's motion.

What people might be feeling, and I'm guessing, is accentuated motion when the ship is traveling at higher speeds to cover large distances, and stabilizers might be retracted. They cause a lot of drag and from what I've read here, are sometimes pulled in so that the ship can go a little faster. That being the case, you might feel more motion.

I think yoir right and lets be clear I did not feel this way others I talked to did. That was my first cruise so I have nothing to compare it to. Its just from talking to different people on the ship at diferent points on the cruise and at different sections of the ship. I will say this though in defence of the Crown and my unscientific findings. Most of these passengers I'm sure never left from NY or sailed through the North Atlantic. From what i was told could make all the difference. South of Florida I am told is smoother and the North Atlantic is rough and unpredictable. That could be the reason for all of this talk in general. As I said i don't know. One day when I am a captain for Princess and sail all over the world I'll let you know whats what;)

I agree. We were on the Baja deck and felt motion every night, but the last night was the worst. We don't get seasick, so it was fine, but we were with a group of 14 and everyone who ever cruised before did mention they felt the motion much more than any other ship.

We spoke to one of the ships engineers and he confirmed it and stated it was because the ship is so high out of the water.

One night as the ship was backing out of a port and turning hard during the back up, we were in the Cafe Caribe eating dinner and it felt like the back of the ship was going to break off from the vibrations - it was very loud.

We were on the baja deck on the crown for the week of November 4th and there was DEFINITELY motion, some nights worst than others. i wasnt sick though...

I just mean that all ships are going to have something that is different than the others, I remember the steamships, they all vibrated and rolled, I am glad that the new ships are more stable and that we can compare the ship that seems have more motion rather than the ship that does not seem to have much motion. Sorry for any who were offended by my post, several entrys back.

On our last cruise Pacific Princess, Sydney to Osaka, May this year, we had a bridge visit, whilst we on the bridge the First Officer retracted the stabilizers so we could reduce 'drag and increase speed', he said it is done often, so there lies much of the reason for excess motion.

Re the 'wavelets' indicated on incabin TV, made me laugh to to see wavelets as the sea state only to look out of window and see waves cleaning the windows on Dolphin Deck , second cabin forward and oh yes we heard the bow thrusters every morning she docked, better than an alarm clock, right under us I expect. Such is the life on an ocean wave.!!

We are on the Regal next August LA to Sydney, Regal is sister ship to the Crown so we can expect some rock and roll eh.??:confused:

Best wishes from the land downunder:cool:

We were on the 11/11 Crown in D724 & our friends were in D722. I don't think any of us would say the motion of the ship was bad. We were on our 9th cruise and I think this was a very smooth ship. Every night since we have been home, I have had said I wish I was on the ship because I sleep the best when I am on a cruise ship.

Hi Richseas from Travis's parents & friends.

sounds like the ship wasnt fully loaded with cargo,which would of made her a little lighter than normal,and that would make you feel the motion more,and you are always gonna feel some vibration when they use the bowthrusters,ive noticed some captains like to throttle the hell out of them,which will cause alot more vibration,and some (good) captains will slowly increase power to them,which gives you a smoother push from the dock,and is easier on the equipment:));) :rolleyes:

We just got off the 11/18 to 11/25 sailing and we had slight seas all week. Anywhere from .5 ft to 2 ft seas which is nothing.

My wife and I both commented that the shipped moved much more than was warranted by the smooth seas but the strange part about it was that it wasn't pitching fore and aft like you would expect but it was constantly rolling from side to side which seemed really odd. Some of the rolls to the side seemed fairly large in comparison to the weather conditions and there were a few times when we wondered when it would roll the other way.

Last couple of cruises on AOS we had 6 to 10 foot seas and barely had any movement and what was there was definitely not a side to side movement like the crown had.

The crown also appeared to us to have some serious vibration when using the reverse thrusters to slow down when docking. The vibration was so intense that it woke me up several mornings as we were slowing to dock.

We didn't notice too much vibration when moving forward and we were way aft in d709. The movement didn't bother us at all but it was certainly noticable.

I was on the Crown 2 weeks ago. While I was on board a fellow passenger told me that they do not use the stabilizers anymore. They explained that Princess decided it was too expensive to use them. They said they heard this from a crew member.

Now, I don't know if this is truth or rumor.

Could that be why there is more motion?

We were on the Crown in September that left from NYC. The first two days we heard a lot of vibration and noise from the stabilizer system that we had never heard before on any cruise including the Golden. The seas were normal as we headed from NYC to Grand Turk. The shudder from the stabilizer system was definetly a weird sound.

We got off this past weekend.

We had the aft suite and an BB cabin beside it- the thrusters- are normal on the grand type of ship. That happens everytime you come into port.

Since we had a large suite and an end cabin- we didn't really notice it that much. Didn't have any problems with trying to get sea legs at all.

Maybe because we went to a port every day. The ship went through a huge t-storm on Wed. night and have never done that before- the lightening was bad and loud- it was wild to cruise through it.

J

Archived