Motion on Crown Princess

Travelover

We were in D714 on 11/11 cruise and experienced motion the first night...more than I have ever experienced it on any other cruise we have been on. It didn't bother the DH, but I was wondering if it was the ship itself. We have always been midship and never experienced motion (except when we passed through a storm once in 1996). Wondering if anyone else thought there was more motion on this ship in general.

We were in D714 on 11/11 cruise and experienced motion the first night...more than I have ever experienced it on any other cruise we have been on. It didn't bother the DH, but I was wondering if it was the ship itself. We have always been midship and never experienced motion (except when we passed through a storm once in 1996). Wondering if anyone else thought there was more motion on this ship in general.

The only place we felt any motion was in the rear of the ship. It didn't matter which deck you were on, but if you were aft, there was a definite vibration motion. It didn't bother me, but it was noticable.

I was on the transition cruise down from NYC to the Caribbean and we hit very rough weather on the way down south. I have sailed in rough seas before - luckily I do not get seasick, and I didn't think it was any worse on the Crown than any other ship in bad weather.

I did notice on the final couple of nights on the ship that there was a slight vibrating which wasn't evident until you were in your bed and lying still. It wasn't enough to bother me at all but it was there.

I was on the reposition sailing on Oct. 27 also. I have never been seasick before and love the motion of the ocean usually, but this time I was sick for a few hours. The first morning I decided to take Bonine just in case and before it kicked in I was quite nauseated. We had an aft high up cabin and I quickly realized that I needed to get lower in the ship and midship. The international cafe ended up being the perfect location, deck 5 midship. Great show with waves crashing from that location too.

We were on the 11/4 Crown sailing and both my husband and I and our friends who traveled with us thought that there was excessive movement on this ship. The pools were in constant motion, more than we have seen before on any cruise. We've sailed the Southern Caribbean before on the Golden and don't remember having anywhere near this kind of movement.

On the last night of our sailing, we went up top to have pizza for dinner around 8:00 pm and the pool was all over the place and most people walking up top seemed to have a bit of trouble walking, including myself!

I can tell you that we had one of the aft suites and felt constant movement as did the people in the suite next to us. Every night I had to make sure I closed the bathroom doors fully or they would swing open and closed all night. The wood hangers also constantly banged around in the closet. On the last night I took everything out of the safe and attempted to leave the safe open over night but ended up having to close it as it constantly banged against the wood door. Now the tv said we had wavelets, a term that we've never seen before, but since even the curtains were swaying in our cabin it sure didn't seem like that to us.

It seemed to be a big topic whenever we spoke to anyone and with the exception of being in 20 foot swells once and movement while leaving Norway and Denmark in 2005 this was the first time we heard so many people talking about it.

We were on the 11/11 sailing up in R409 - mid-ship suite and did not feel and unusual movement. The night we left Bonair we were in the Bott. Dining room at the rear of the ship. We could hear the thrusters and felt a mild vibration. Kudos to the bridge and engine room staff, they moved that ship away from the dock so smoothly that we didn't even know we were moving except we could here the thrusters.

We were on the 11/4 Crown sailing and both my husband and I and our friends who traveled with us thought that there was excessive movement on this ship. The pools were in constant motion, more than we have seen before on any cruise. We've sailed the Southern Caribbean before on the Golden and don't remember having anywhere near this kind of movement.

On the last night of our sailing, we went up top to have pizza for dinner around 8:00 pm and the pool was all over the place and most people walking up top seemed to have a bit of trouble walking, including myself!

I agree. We were on the Baja deck and felt motion every night, but the last night was the worst. We don't get seasick, so it was fine, but we were with a group of 14 and everyone who ever cruised before did mention they felt the motion much more than any other ship.

We spoke to one of the ships engineers and he confirmed it and stated it was because the ship is so high out of the water.

One night as the ship was backing out of a port and turning hard during the back up, we were in the Cafe Caribe eating dinner and it felt like the back of the ship was going to break off from the vibrations - it was very loud.

The CB as compared to the other Grand Class ships does have an additional deck bwhich puts the top of the ship an adittional 12"+or- higher. If the seas were above 3 -4 meters the cabins fore and aft, depending on whether the sea were beam, following or ahead would probably feel more rocking motion than the midship cabins, especially on the Caribe, Baja and Aloha decks.

Ron

The CB as compared to the other Grand Class ships does have an additional deck bwhich puts the top of the ship an adittional 12"+or- higher. If the seas were above 3 -4 meters the cabins fore and aft, depending on whether the sea were beam, following or ahead would probably feel more rocking motion than the midship cabins, especially on the Caribe, Baja and Aloha decks.

Ron

Sorry for the error - my 12" should be 12'!

I agree. We were on the Baja deck and felt motion every night, but the last night was the worst. We don't get seasick, so it was fine, but we were with a group of 14 and everyone who ever cruised before did mention they felt the motion much more than any other ship.

We spoke to one of the ships engineers and he confirmed it and stated it was because the ship is so high out of the water.

One night as the ship was backing out of a port and turning hard during the back up, we were in the Cafe Caribe eating dinner and it felt like the back of the ship was going to break off from the vibrations - it was very loud.

I know, the vibrations were amazing.

I've never "backed" out of so many ports before and then of course we had to do it again in St Marteen as the Carnival ship did not leave when they were supposed to. They were to have been back on their ship by 5:30 and at 6:10 so many of them were still casually strolling back onto their ship.

I could not believe when the Captain said that they were going to spin the ship around when we left St. Lucia and spin around we did, it was unbelievable! I don't know how such a large ship managed that but they did and it was incredible.

I was on the 7/11 sailing that had the "tip" problem and these posts sound exactly what I heard on the ship before and after the problem. When I brought up a few times here I was killed by princess cheerleaders.

Well without killing anyone, I'll just ask the question - doesn't this ship move? A moving ship means you feel motion. I think implications that perhaps the ship is unstable is reaching. Wasn't the "tip" attributed to human error? Have there been similar complaints about Caribbean Princess, a ship of the same size?

I haven't been on the Crown, but I have been on Caribbean Princess (first ship in this particular configuration) and I have to say it was the most annoyingly smooth sailing we've been on. We had an aft suite and definitely felt the thrusters - but we've felt them on every ship we've sailed, that's just a normal thing.

I DO think the Grand-class ships feel the crosswinds and roll a little more than one might otherwise expect as a result. It's not indicative of any stability problems, just a consequence of the shape of the ship. We enjoy a little motion because it reminds us that we're at sea.

Ok, it is simple, SHIPS MOVE! they vibrate, they pitch and they roll. THEY MOVE, get over it and enjoy your wonderful vacation on the "ship". Or, your local land based resorts don't move, give them a try. There is nothing wrong with the Crown or any other ship for that matter they are ships, they are in the water and the water sometimes has waves. What were you expecting? I don't think it was a cruise ship.

I have been on both the Crown and Caribbean Princess. My first Caribbean Princess sailing was very smooth. Last summer's Caribbean sailing was very rough. Same ship, same month, different year. This past August I sailed on Crown out on NY and we had the smoothest sailing of all of our cruises until the last sea day. Our first port was Bermuda, and usually the Atlantic, no matter what the month, is a rocky sailing. Not this time. On our last sea day heading back to NY we were behind a hurricaine, and the seas were very rough. Can't blame the ship or captain. From my experience, motion is effected by what is happening in the water. Yes, even the smooth Caribbean waters can be rough.

Motion and vibration are two different things. Motion can be upsetting and cause sickness to many, vibration may be annoying ... or it may rock you to sleep.

We experienced both on the Crown - motion in the room and vibration in the Cafe Caribe.

The motion was while at sea, the vibration was when the ship pulled out of port where it had to back up and make a sharp turn to get out of port. It happened when the ship pulled out of San Juan and in one other port - I don't remember exactly which one it was.

The motion was while at sea, the vibration was when the ship pulled out of port where it had to back up and make a sharp turn to get out of port. It happened when the ship pulled out of San Juan and in one other port - I don't remember exactly which one it was.
That's the thrusters (basically, water jets that help push the ship sideways) that you are feeling. It's normal. You definitely know when they're being used!

Ok, it is simple, SHIPS MOVE! they vibrate, they pitch and they roll. THEY MOVE, get over it and enjoy your wonderful vacation on the "ship". Or, your local land based resorts don't move, give them a try. There is nothing wrong with the Crown or any other ship for that matter they are ships, they are in the water and the water sometimes has waves. What were you expecting? I don't think it was a cruise ship.

No, REALLY?? Ships move???? What a concept!! (yes, I'm being sarcastic).

If you read the original post, the person was stating that they felt the ship had more movement than any other cruise ship they've been on.

I'd have to agree. I've been on 5 cruises, the Crown Princess being the 5th one (just last month - October 18th-27th). I thought the Crown Princess had MUCH more vibration and feeling of movement than any of the other 4 cruises I've been on. The first few days we saw quite a few people holding on as they walked down the hallways, and in the dining room we could definitely hear and feel the rumbling. It didn't bother us, but it was much more noticeable than we'd experienced elsewhere.

The original poster didn't say anything was wrong with the ship, nor is there anything they need to "get over" - they just asked a simple question. It would have been nice if you'd answered them in a respectful manner.

Sharon H.

That's the thrusters (basically, water jets that help push the ship sideways) that you are feeling. It's normal. You definitely know when they're being used!

They had to use the thrusters in almost all of the ports as we back out of most of the ports! If Steve and I were in our suite we really did know when we were departing. What they were able to turning around the ship was just an amazing sight, it really was. It was almost like we stayed in place and the ship just spun around in place, it was incredible. I've never sailed where we literally backed out of where we were docked and we did it here many times.

I don't think anyone is complaing and there is nothing wrong with discussing that there appears to be more "motion" on this ship than others have had on other ships and no one said anything about there being something wrong with the Crown.

Now, we had "smooth wavelets" a term that I've never seen while sailing on a ship, usually it says "slight seas" or "moderate seas" or something like that and the ship was rolling so much that the pools were spilling out and doors were constantly banging in my cabin so there must be something else that causes the "motion" since there weren't any waves.

Rob, maybe you are correct, maybe there was a lot of crosswinds which is turn made the ship feel like it was rolling a lot. It was interesting to have so much movement when you would look at the seas and not see big waves. It did help rock you to sleep at night, that's for sure!

Hello again from the original poster on this thread. I was not complaining...no no about this ship...know there is more motion aft and forward-just wondering if anyone who had been in aft cabin on other ships thought there was more motion on this ship. We were near the laundry room on Dolphin deck. We were with party of 10 who had cabins midship and forward and forward stated they felt more motion. This was first time in all our cruises that we were in aft cabin. Bathroon door opening and closing unless shut tight and indeed, in other places on ship, we were swaying to and fro--never had that happen. Last night in Sabatini's felt motion too-aft restaurant. Seemed to me too that there were more creaks. It wasn't my imagination now...was it??

Well without killing anyone, I'll just ask the question - doesn't this ship move? A moving ship means you feel motion. I think implications that perhaps the ship is unstable is reaching. Wasn't the "tip" attributed to human error? Have there been similar complaints about Caribbean Princess, a ship of the same size?

The ship is supposed to move. I'm just telling you that people who have cruised many times on many different ship said the movement was worse on this ship. I have no idea why but that was the basic feeling i got from talking to experienced cruisers. The final report did not come out yet on the Crown "tip" cruise I will wait patiently. I'm not saying anything bad about the Crown I'm just relaying what the feeling was on board from people have cruised a lot. Don't ask me why but that was the information i gathered on board before and after the the "tip".

Archived