HAL and over-amplified music ... a bad trend

Vic The Parrot

Thought I'd bring this up .... you can think of it as a continuation of sorts of my previous thread, or it could be deemed as a separate entry. Whatever is your pleasure. :)

On board my cruise a few weeks ago, I've noticed that in almost every lounge I was in, the music was LOUD. Now I'm not sure if I was hallucinating, but even the string quartet in the Explorers Lounge seemed to be "plugged-in". I took a look behind the piano, and there it was ... an amplifier. :eek:

It got me thinking when I was on board .... "Is my hearing becoming sensitive?"

But back in my normal mode here at home, it's not my ears .. seems everywhere I went on that ship, the music was over-amplified for some reason.

1 - Aft pool area .. the 'supposed' quiet pool ... Jazzy brings out a ton of equipment, and turns up the volume to a level that makes the deck vibrate, and shakes the paint off the rails.

2 - Ocean Bar .. again, the guys playing in there just NEED to crank up the bass and gleefully watch as pax try to have a conversation. (WHAT??? .... WHAT??? .... WHAT????) :rolleyes:

3 - Vista dining room .. there were many times I felt like slamming the piano lid on the guys fingers because he had no clue what he was doing. It was just "noise"

4 - Northern Lights .. apparently they installed speakers above the bar (unless I never noticed the 1st time around .. ) It wasn't easy talking with my friends a few nights. And they asked me why was I so hoarse the next morning. :rolleyes:

So all of that left me wondering ... what happened to the peace and quiet that HAL was known for?? Don't get me wrong, some music in the background is nice. I just don't need it blaring in my ears everywhere I go. But what threw me for a loop was the amplifier in the Explorers ... nothing like Lizst at 200 decibals

Anybody else notice this on board, besides me?? :confused:

Our September cruise on Statendam was our 4th on that ship. The volume level was horrible. The noon music poolside was so loud my teeth hurt. Try to read in the Explorer's Lounge and you get loud music. In the gym, there were only few of us and all had on headphones trying to listen to our IPods or the TV yet the "fitness person" insisted on very loud music all the time. I can understand it when an aerobics class is in session but constantly??

Gary

Hey Vic, as in our discussions on board, at least on the Noordam, they need to pay attention, and/or get a new sound mixer. Some of it was fine, like the shows, not great, but passable, but some was terrible. In addition to what you mentioned, the mix in the Lido (dome) pool was terrible. Like at the BBQ, the mix of Jessi and the HAL Cats had the lead vocal blasting through the monitors through the pool area, with the rest of the band barely audible. I was surprised, as many were tolerating it. Similar bad mixing also in the Crows Nest. This is IMHO, but bear in mind, I do have professional experience in the matter, and also just being a “critic” of a great cruise. :)

I guess I could have used my medallion to short out the speakers, that would make it good for something at least.;)

Mark….

Oh, oh. This thread has alarm bells ringing in my mind! We have our first HAL cruise scheduled on the Ryndam to Alaska in September 2007. The very last thing I want to deal with is loud music in public venues! ANY kind of loud music. Background music, sure, but NOT LOUD!!! All you HAL people out there who know the decibel levels......should we cancel HAL and stick with Princess???? I CANNOT ABIDE LOUD MUSIC - and yes, I'm shouting so I can be heard over the LOUD MUSIC!

And while I'm asking, I'll also ask if there are announcements (a la M.A.S.H.) to add to the annoyance. (I do NOT CARE if there is BINGO in ten minutes! If the time is announced in the daily activity paper that's enough for me....there does not have to be an announcement on the loudspeakers. Save the loudspeakers for emergency announcements.) JMHO.

But, please, somebody give me some insight on the loud music situation. That would be a deal-breaker for us.

Thanks very much.

Carol (and Linda).

Oh, oh. This thread has alarm bells ringing in my mind! We have our first HAL cruise scheduled on the Ryndam to Alaska in September 2007. The very last thing I want to deal with is loud music in public venues! ANY kind of loud music. Background music, sure, but NOT LOUD!!! All you HAL people out there who know the decibel levels......should we cancel HAL and stick with Princess???? I CANNOT ABIDE LOUD MUSIC - and yes, I'm shouting so I can be heard over the LOUD MUSIC!

And while I'm asking, I'll also ask if there are announcements (a la M.A.S.H.) to add to the annoyance. (I do NOT CARE if there is BINGO in ten minutes! If the time is announced in the daily activity paper that's enough for me....there does not have to be an announcement on the loudspeakers. Save the loudspeakers for emergency announcements.) JMHO.

But, please, somebody give me some insight on the loud music situation. That would be a deal-breaker for us.

Thanks very much.

Carol (and Linda).

Oh, I have to agree with you. A cruise should be relaxing! There is nothing like loud music and annoying announcements to spoil the atmosphere.

waunabcruizin Don't get you knickers in a twist. All is well. Just got off 25 days on the Zaandam. There is only one announcement daily at 1pm; first the Captain with the daily info and then the CD with what is happening. There will be an announcement on port days when the ship is cleared. Otherwise it is blessedly announcement free.

As for the loud music. We didn't have that problem anywhere other than the Lido pool at lunchtime. The band played some really loud music there but it was only for an hour and we just avoided it at that time of day.

The other lounges sometimes had music piped in and sometimes didn't but I know it was never overly loud. Hope this helps some.

On board my cruise a few weeks ago, I've noticed that in almost every lounge I was in, the music was LOUD.

... Anybody else notice this on board, besides me?? :confused:

Thank God this situation must only exist on the Vista class ships, because aboard the Amsterdam we had no such problem. Oh, there was probably piped in music that I didn't even notice ... because it was merely background music ... nothing intrusive at all. Yes, we had music at the pool for an hour or so in the afternoons on sea days ... but again, nothing intrusive whatsoever.

Guess this is just one more reason to stay away from the Vistas. While I like music ... don't get me wrong ... I prefer to enjoy MY choice of music ... as loud or as softly as I like at any given time ... via personal headphones ... and not blaring out of speakers.

Blue skies ...

--rita

the noise concerns me....cruise coming up in April on the Zuiderdam....I have a hearing disability, and contrary to what most people think, loud does not help ...in fact it severely inhibits my ability to communicate ....if this noise persists all over the ship, I will be basically isolated in my own little world...not fun...have any of you tried to organize any type of request to get the music turned down..ie petitions, harassing the staff, etc?

Whew! Thanks Kakalina and Kyros for the reassurance that we will most likely have a peaceful cruise on the Ryndam. I have 'untwisted my knickers', slowed my heart rate down to normal and settled my nerves with a wee toddy, so all is now well :rolleyes:.

We are very much looking forward to HAL and will try to lower our expectations....though that will be rather difficult to do since most everyone on the HAL threads post such delightful experiences.

Thanks again for the reassurances :D .

Carol (and Linda)

Thank God this situation must only exist on the Vista class ships, because aboard the Amsterdam we had no such problem.

garydm (post #4) said it was that way on Statendam ... and I surely hope it changes before September!

I was recently reading posts on CC and one gal said that she likes to bring her stereo along and put the speakers on her balcony!! :eek:

Can you imagine being in cabins either side of this - I wouldn't stand for it!

Loud backround music in the lounges has been a growing problem for the last several years. I've gathered with others waiting for Trivia in the Ocean Bar in the mornings and been ever-so grateful when it was turned off to start the game.

On the Zaandam in October the overhead music by the aft pool was far too loud. Once I was the only passenger out there so I asked that it be turned off. A supervisor had to be called in to give permission. :rolleyes: He gave it. :)

I stayed away from the Lido pool on my entire Noordam cruise, but I've objected to the noise at that pool on the Rotterdam during breakfast, too. I used to enjoy listening to the bands by the pool at lunchtime, but have stayed away for the last several cruises as it's too loud.

So, it's not only the Vista class ships.

I don't want deafness to be a souvenier of my cruises.

I can't stand loud music. I mean I really, really can't stand it.

It would be the cause of ruining a cruise for me if I can't sit comfortably in Ocean Bar or Pinnacle Lounge or wherever and be able to enjoy conversation and a drink. Loud music in Lido would be intolerable to me.

When you were on ships when the music was so loud it made 'your teeth hurt', did you speak with anyone? Was anything done about it?

When the Spa girls played the music so loud, you were unable to get them to tone it down?

If there were no aerobics classes being conducted the loud music was for their enjoyment; not the guests. I would point out to them that they can play it as loud as they wish until a guest is disturbed by it. Doesn't the comfort and enjoyment of guests matter?

We had no 'loud music' problems on Maasdam last summer or Ryndam in April, Volendam in January...... I so hope we are able to enjoy Noordam without being blasted out of a room. For me it isn't merely, I prefer the music played lower, it is I must leave the room and cannot bear it.

Hmm, I think part of the problem with the Lido pool/crows nest is just the use of the speakers. Kinda 'we installed them, we're gonna use them' idea. In the past, when the band is playing, if you want to party and hear it loud, and dance, you go in front of the band, if you want to "chill", you keep your distance from the band. Now, with the (poor) use of those speakers, you can't. This must be one of those differences between cruise ships and yachts.

Oh well, off to the dessert buffet.;)

Mark....

I can't stand loud music. I mean I really, really can't stand it.

It would be the cause of ruining a cruise for me if I can't sit comfortably in Ocean Bar or Pinnacle Lounge or wherever and be able to enjoy conversation and a drink. Loud music in Lido would be intolerable to me.

When you were on ships when the music was so loud it made 'your teeth hurt', did you speak with anyone? Was anything done about it?

When the Spa girls played the music so loud, you were unable to get them to tone it down?

If there were no aerobics classes being conducted the loud music was for their enjoyment; not the guests. I would point out to them that they can play it as loud as they wish until a guest is disturbed by it. Doesn't the comfort and enjoyment of guests matter?

We had no 'loud music' problems on Maasdam last summer or Ryndam in April, Volendam in January...... I so hope we are able to enjoy Noordam without being blasted out of a room. For me it isn't merely, I prefer the music played lower, it is I must leave the room and cannot bear it.

S7S, I'm totally in agreement! My cruise would be totally ruined. Unfortunately it's not only on board ship. It's everywhere these days. Upscale restaurants are affected - everyone is yelling so that they may be heard over the 'music'. Hair salons are becoming the same - what should be a relaxing experience is now a 2 hour headache (and I'm not talking the $20 'snip and clip' hair 'do'). I'm without a salon right now - the gray may have its way! Movie theaters too are affected - we seldom go, when we do, I use earplugs!

Like you, we have no problem with 'background' music but table conversation, over drinks or at dinner, should be just that - table conversation.......I don't want to be yelling!

This is a 'beyond the Baby Boomer age' post - heaven know how many decibells the upcoming BB's will require - half of them are already deaf....sad but true.:)

It has been my experience on HAL that, if they're havin' Bingo, there WILL be announcements!!

I agree the Bingo Announcements can be very annoying but we were so delighted that in two weeks on Maasdam this past August, we never once heard a Bingo Announcement. Quess what? Everyone that wanted to play managed to read their daily program and knew when and where they were going to play.

No announcements necessary. Kudos to Captain, Hotel Manager and CD on Maasdam.

Thought I'd bring this up .... you can think of it as a continuation of sorts of my previous thread, or it could be deemed as a separate entry. Whatever is your pleasure.

On board my cruise a few weeks ago, I've noticed that in almost every lounge I was in, the music was LOUD. Now I'm not sure if I was hallucinating, but even the string quartet in the Explorers Lounge seemed to be "plugged-in". I took a look behind the piano, and there it was ... an amplifier.

It got me thinking when I was on board .... "Is my hearing becoming sensitive?"

But back in my normal mode here at home, it's not my ears .. seems everywhere I went on that ship, the music was over-amplified for some reason.

1 - Aft pool area .. the 'supposed' quiet pool ... Jazzy brings out a ton of equipment, and turns up the volume to a level that makes the deck vibrate, and shakes the paint off the rails.

2 - Ocean Bar .. again, the guys playing in there just NEED to crank up the bass and gleefully watch as pax try to have a conversation. (WHAT??? .... WHAT??? .... WHAT????)

3 - Vista dining room .. there were many times I felt like slamming the piano lid on the guys fingers because he had no clue what he was doing. It was just "noise"

4 - Northern Lights .. apparently they installed speakers above the bar (unless I never noticed the 1st time around .. ) It wasn't easy talking with my friends a few nights. And they asked me why was I so hoarse the next morning. :rolleyes:

So all of that left me wondering ... what happened to the peace and quiet that HAL was known for?? Don't get me wrong, some music in the background is nice. I just don't need it blaring in my ears everywhere I go. But what threw me for a loop was the amplifier in the Explorers ... nothing like Lizst at 200 decibals

Anybody else notice this on board, besides me?? :confused:

Hey Bic,

It is either they turned it up so the old folks could hear it....or....YOUR GETTING OLD....LOL....:eek:

Jeppie

PS: Got your e-mail a week ago. When I get back from the Veendam next week I''ll answer it. Been a strange year...:o

As another poster said earlier, people with hearing disabilities do not need LOUD. They need clear, clean, crisp sound, something very lacking in most music today. If you look around at nearly any entertainment venue, you will find that the folks who want loud music are the very young, not the very old.

I'm so lucky! If the music is really loud, I just turn off my hearing aids and I have perfect ear-plugs!

Interesting side-note: last Spring on Adventure of the Seas we did the backstage tour and I had a chance to speak with the Sound guy. I mentioned to him that I thought the music in the show lounge and the ice show was way too loud and garbled to the point that it was difficult to listen to. He shook his head and said he'd been on the ship only about two weeks and that he was working on changes and trying to educate the folks he worked with that loud was not better.

Maybe my hearing must be going south, but on our Noordam transatlantic cruise last month, I didn't encounter any problems with loud background or lounge music.

I was concerned before the cruise because of the prior thread on this issue, and because I, too, do not like loud music. I listened for music in the public areas, and very infrequently did I hear any music at all during the day. We lunched on the Lido by the pool several days and only the music was not obtrusive IMO. We spent an hour in the Explorer's Lounge one night and the music level was not objectionable at all, again IMO.

We had the Nick Ross Orchestra onboard and they performed up in the Crow's Nest most evenings, and while the sound level was loud, it came from an orchestra after all and the only time it was uncomfortably loud was when our line of dance took us immediately in front of the bandstand.

Bingo announcements were regular, maybe twice a day, but not intrusive or any more than we have previously encountered on HAL.

DW thinks I have selective hearing at times-maybe it was "on" during our recent Noordam cruise---she would be the first to complain about obtrusive music anywhere and she didn't say a word--or maybe she did and I couldn't hear her through the music!!! :eek:

I fear the loud music thing is a Carnival influence. Two years ago we were on the Carnival Miracle and were driven from the pool area by the loud music, had to leave a show one night because of the amplification, had to ask the dining room staff to lower the decibels of the amplifier because it was blasting us out of the place.

We probably will never go on a Carnival ship again because of the noise level.

If it happens on Holland America, we will just have to migrate to another shipping line. I hate noise.

Roberta

Archived