Guess It'll Be Fleet-Wide

kryos

Bruce.....

Please advise if I am understanding you correctly.

I use cingular and my plan provides for a ton of minutes free anywhere in the U.S. (and I think Canada).

If I were to call while in San Juan or St. Thomas, it would be an included in my monthly rate (assuming I had not exceeded my monthly minutes)? No roaming; no additional charge?

Thanks if you have that info.

Well, my information applies to T-Mobile as that is my provider. In checking the Cingular website, I find this for USVI: "Available as part of your domestic wireless service. Rates may vary based on your domestic rate plan."You can look up rates for any country and most of the cruise ships that cingular has service.

I get really annoyed when people make innane phone calls in public places. "Hi, wacha doin? Oh, I'm just like hanging out at Pizza Hut, yadda, yadda." One of my tactics is to look really interested and lean in as if to listen better. Sometimes it makes them at least lower the decibel level, sometimes they even move away.:)

When we were on the Oosterdam a couple of weeks ago I was able to use my Verizon cell phone the whole time. I had a great signal from the ship. I had called Verizon before I left and asked them to add international calling to my plan. The rep argued with me about how expense roaming in Mexico would be - $1.80 per minute. Lots cheaper than the ship. I never made any calls, but I was expecting an important message. The problem was that I couldn't pick up my voicemail messages when we were too far south of the border, because my voicemail number is pre-programmed into the phone (*86) and I had no clue what the real number was. Every time I called I got a message in Spanish with no idea what it said. I went to the Internet lounge to ask for help and while very pleasant, the girl couldn't help me. However, she was surprised that my Verizon phone worked because it wasn't supposed to. Verizon was supposedly the only carrier that didn't work on the ship.

Anyway, but Friday we were far enough north that I could retrieve my message and finally got the score of the soccer league finals game that my son had to miss for the cruise. His team managed to win the championship without him.

My cell phone stays in the OFF position while I am cruising, Anything, And I mean ANYTHING can wait until I get back. :)

My feelings exactly. I do not even want to know about a death in family until I get back. Heartless? No. I will just start mourning a little later than others.

My feelings exactly. I do not even want to know about a death in family until I get back. Heartless? No. I will just start mourning a little later than others.

I wouldn't say you're heartless. I would just say that I couldn't take that attitude. I am not so concerned with a death ... but more with sickness or someone dear to me needing my presence. I don't want to wait for someone to die. I'd rather be there BEFORE they die if they take ill while I'm on a cruise. I would feel terrible if my father took ill two days after I left on a trip and I didn't find out about it until he had already passed. I honestly don't think I could live with myself.

So, in my case, I thank God for this new cell phone service on ships. My dad is going on 93 now and I remember how worried I was about him during those long days at sea on my Hawaii/South Pacific cruise last January ... days when I was pretty much out of touch. Even if I had received a call in my stateroom, on the regular room phone, I could be out of that room for hours at a time and not get the message until much later.

I like the fact that I can now check in on dad daily ... regardless of whether I am at sea or in port ... and even if I can't physically get off the boat and go home right away, at least I can contact someone else in the family to go and help him if he needs it. And, for what it's worth, I would have ensured daily contact on my next cruise anyway ... even if HAL had not gotten the SeaMobile service. My company recently took possession of a slew of satellite phones and I had already made arrangements to borrow one for my next long cruise. Thankfully, I won't need to do that now ... as I'd hate to be responsible for a phone that cost close to a grand.

Blue skies ...

--rita

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I know this is a sticky subject, but I wanted to get back to you all regarding the cell phone charges during our November 3 Volendam cruise. We use Verizon Wireless which has international services and to tell you the truth the cost wasn't all that bad. $.99 per minute average! There were no extra monthly charges, etc. Just a roaming charge. We used our phones in Aruba, Curacao, and a couple times while at sea to check on a love one with was seriously ill. St Thomas & St John are US terrioritories so no charges were incurred.

I know a lot a people really don't like cell use on the cruise ships and this is a very sore subject, but unfortunately it's the sign of the times and believe it or not some people really do need to stay in touch with their business and their love ones. I know what you're going to say, "you're on vacation". Yes I am, but I still need to stay in touch, whether I use "ship to shore", email (not everyone has this), or calling from each port.

BTW, I just received my Mariner Society Winter 2007 magazine and on page 17, under "News and Notes" it says that all HAL ships will be operational by March 2007 with the new shipboard cell phone service and will work with any type of wireless phone.

I know a lot a people really don't like cell use on the cruise ships and this is a very sore subject, but unfortunately it's the sign of the times and believe it or not some people really do need to stay in touch with their business and their love ones. I know what you're going to say, "you're on vacation". Yes I am, but I still need to stay in touch, whether I use "ship to shore", email (not everyone has this), or calling from each port.

My friend, you echo my sentiments exactly. I love going on cruises, but it is very difficult to leave loved ones at home ... especially aging or ill loved ones. I think cell service at sea is a Godsend for people like you and me. Also, as much as folks on this board say "you're on vacation" ... it is a fact of life in today's society that some people simply can't be out of touch with their offices for a long period of time, such as while on a ship ... and yes, sometimes their expertise is needed even though they are technically on vacation.

I for one am glad to see the availability of cell service at sea ... and I can't imagine anyone would be inconsiderate with it while on a ship. After all, there is a big difference between someone yacking for hours at home on their unlimited minutes plans, and someone yacking for hours on a ship ... at a buck or more a minute. No one would be that stupid ... or at least they won't be that stupid beyond the first cruise that they did it.

Blue skies ...

--rita

My mom was just on Carnival and had one of my Cingular phones. I had international calling enabled (you need to call CIngular to set that up before you go). She used the phone to call me and the bill just came in yesterday. I worked out to be $1.25 per minute - the same amount that we paid when calling from Europe last year. The bill said Cingular At Sea (or something like that).

Lynn

I simply disagree. The need to be in touch and at the ready 24/7 has simply gone wacko. No one needs to be in touch as much as they are. You'd be amazed how well we all got along just fine before cell phones.

We had what was known as quiet time and the ability to say to people "so sorry, but I'm just going to be out of touch ... I'll check in if I can". And you know what? The world revolved, companies didn't fall apart, no lives were ruined.

That being said, I have no objection to cell service at sea if it were truly to be used as so many of you think it will ... occasionally and for emergencies and a quick "check in". But it won't.

Give it time ... it will be abused over the long term. Know what it's like sitting in an airport waiting for a plane? Picture that. And like so many other things it will become a hot button on this board.

I simply disagree. The need to be in touch and at the ready 24/7 has simply gone wacko. No one needs to be in touch as much as they are. You'd be amazed how well we all got along just fine before cell phones.

I agree with you Heather. We use the cell phone when we are checked in and in our cabin just to let our daughter know all went well without a hitch, we tell her we'll miss her and that we'll call her again when our flight touches down upon our return. Then I turn off the cell phone and it stays in the safe!

My friend, you echo my sentiments exactly. I love going on cruises, but it is very difficult to leave loved ones at home ... especially aging or ill loved ones. I think cell service at sea is a Godsend for people like you and me. Also, as much as folks on this board say "you're on vacation" ... it is a fact of life in today's society that some people simply can't be out of touch with their offices for a long period of time, such as while on a ship ... and yes, sometimes their expertise is needed even though they are technically on vacation.

I for one am glad to see the availability of cell service at sea ... and I can't imagine anyone would be inconsiderate with it while on a ship. After all, there is a big difference between someone yacking for hours at home on their unlimited minutes plans, and someone yacking for hours on a ship ... at a buck or more a minute. No one would be that stupid ... or at least they won't be that stupid beyond the first cruise that they did it.

Blue skies ...

--rita

:) Hi Rita:

Personally, DW & I have no problems with fellow cruisers using their 'cel 'phones, so long as they are maintained on the "vibrating" mode rather than the "ringing" mode!

Now those cruisers using two-way "walkie-talkies" are another matter! We find them, ( walkie-talkies) quite annoying!

I have absolutely no problem with cell phone usage being possible on the ships. I rather like knowing we have the option if we find the need.

I STRENUOUSLY OBJECT to being bothered by others using their cell phones in public areas.

We had a (I use the term loosely) ---gentleman------ who felt it necessary to scream into his cell for at least a solid hour at aft pool on a beautiful, bright sunny day. He treated all of us to his roaming around the deck conducting his conversation and annoying every person within hearing distance.

Of course, I'm sure he's the same ignoramous who bothers all around him at home as well.

Use the phones; I may use mine.

But keep your cell phone usage to within your cabin; keep your voice low enough to not disturb other people and please keep it on vibrate. I don't care how cute your 'ring' is......most of us don't wish to hear it.

Courtesy; common courtesy. Why that idiot at the pool thought his voice was so mesmerizing or his conversation so tantalizing we all needed to hear it beats me. Ice cold stares; faces of disgust; nothing was going to get that guy to keep his voice down or find a spot to sit where he wouldn't bother anyone.

Courtesy; common courtesy. Why that idiot at the pool thought his voice was so mesmerizing or his conversation so tantalizing we all needed to hear it beats me. Ice cold stares; faces of disgust; nothing was going to get that guy to keep his voice down or find a spot to sit where he wouldn't bother anyone.

I have asked people to lower their voice. I did get a round of applause on a German train for doing so. My kids remind me to lower my voice when I am using the land line at home. I am sure I would shout into a cell phone as well. I do not have one and hope I never have to get one.

At $15.00 a minute for a satellite call on cruise ship, a cell phone makes sense.

The shipboard system is designed to shut down once the ship is within reach of a shore based cell signal, it automatically does that. So you will be able to pick up a local -and possibly cheaper signal- wile in port. This also eliminates the issue of people ashore picking up the ship service and making a very expensive call when their phone roams and locks on to the ship.

As well there will be signal supressors in certain areas on board, such as the dining rooms and the show lounges.

And yes, it will be fleetwide....progress!

We had a (I use the term loosely) ---gentleman------ who felt it necessary to scream into his cell for at least a solid hour at aft pool on a beautiful, bright sunny day. He treated all of us to his roaming around the deck conducting his conversation and annoying every person within hearing distance.

Of course, I'm sure he's the same ignoramous who bothers all around him at home as well.

Why that idiot at the pool thought his voice was so mesmerizing or his conversation so tantalizing we all needed to hear it beats me. Ice cold stares; faces of disgust; nothing was going to get that guy to keep his voice down or find a spot to sit where he wouldn't bother anyone.

Here is a case that proves the point. As more and more people learn they can use their cell phones, they will be abused.

I agree that if all were to exercise common courtesy, there would be no problem. But what makes anyone think there will be more courtesy on a ship than there is on land???

I agree that for most of us this is an added perk ... an easy way for us to keep in touch when we need to or respond to an emergency. But unfortunately the people who become apparent to all of us are those who are rude and obnoxious. They stand out ... doesn't take a lot of them to spoil the mood of the cruise and the reason we're on it to begin with.

Hate to be a wet blanket and rain on everyone's parade, but I'm a realist ...

Archived