$$$CELL PHONES are a GO on ALL PRINCESS SHIPS Sarting TODAY, WOW!$$$

JotWorld

:mad: No, please say it isn't so. :mad:

Cruising on Princess WAS "Escape Completely" for us. It was the only way hubby could tell his clients and collegues at work "I'm on a family vacation and there is no cell /blackberry service in the middle of the ocean so I'm out of touch - someone else will have to help you or it'll have to wait til I return"

Now the blasted clients will expect him to be in touch !!! (of course those are the same clients who pay the bills that allow us to cruise, but they don't seem to allow him a week off unless he is completely unavailable !!!)

This SUCKS!!! Hopefully the advertising on this is not huge and we can still claim to be "out of touch" !!

So much for "Escape Completely". Guess they'll have to change their advertising.

Look sjbdtz & daniel1313... Don't put words in my mouth. No where did I say how I would use it.. sjbdtz, it seems you have your panties in a wad over everything I post. All this what ifs of yours mean nothing.. I will give you an example of a ZAP!.. Talk loudly in the dining room to someone telling them what you are eating.. ZAP! Answering your phone during a show and not leaving to continue the conversation.. ZAP!! Common courtesy goes both ways..

Gee Larry...looks like you have taken my place as being "a magnet to chaos" on these boards!:p ....btw, you never did tell me what wine you had that night?

Tony

:cool: :eek: :cool:

This is definately bad news!!!! :( I don't even like to hear my cabin phone ring when cruising.

Here is my suggestion. Cell phone use should be restricted to cabin use only, and the penalty for breaking this rule should be confiscating the phone and throwing it overboard. Easy solution. :D

Tony.. A Brunello.. :D

Ahhh...a Brunello di Montalchino!...one of my favorites!

Now stay out of trouble until my next "Live from the Tahitian Princess" on Dec 17th...

Tony

:cool: :eek: :cool:

Look on the bright side, everybody... Cell phones have given us all something new to argue about here (besides the usual smoking, dress code, chair hogs, bringing liquor aboard, extra charges, tipping, children, and sharing soda cards).

This could be the start of something big. :D

Look on the bright side, everybody... Cell phones have given us all something new to argue about here (besides the usual smoking, dress code, chair hogs, bringing liquor aboard, extra charges, tipping, children, and sharing soda cards).

This could be the start of something big. :D

LOLOLOL Now that's looking on the bright side of things!! LOLOL

II'm leaving 6 kids at home, one being 2 and a 1 yr old...more than that, i have a pregnant yorkie that is due Jan 3rd...the cruise was a surprise, so i am going!! But, I'd like to be able to check in once a day to see if they are all alive ya know. Some of us dont have the luxury of falling off the face of the earth for a week....
Cell phone service is available in most ports and if not, land lines are readily available. If it's a matter of having to check in there are ways to accomplish that without cell phone usage on the ship.
For all Largin knows, they may be on the phone with the hospital, giving authorization for lifesaving surgery for an aging parent....and his decision to selfishly jam the signal could make the difference.
You gotta be kidding - if someone is on the phone for that reason, would they be in the middle of the dining room or the theater?
And no, I'm not a big cellphone user...but I respect other people's rights to THEIR lives...mine is not MORE important! If I don't like the noise, while I'm lounging on deck....I can always return to my cabin....can't I?
And that's where Princess has the right idea - provide cell reception in the cabins only (I still think the upper decks should be out of the reception area). Then they can make as much noise on the cell phone as they want...they can return to their cabin.

I doubt that the cell phone usage will be "free". There will be some charge on you cell phone bill ($2.99 per minute- sounds about right). However, as a parent, I like to know that if there was an emergency my older son could leave me a message on my cell phone. I would waste my days chatting on my cell phone but it just makes people feel readily excessible in case of an emergency or other problem. I do think it should be restricted to the cabin and not on the "upper deck" as they have indicated. Because then there will be people discussing business and we are all trying to get away from the "real world".

I think there could be a happy medium.

You gotta be kidding - if someone is on the phone for that reason, would they be in the middle of the dining room or the theater?

How should I know where they might happen to be when the call comes in. Could be the toilet, theatre OR the dining room.

However the limitation to dining room or theatre wasn't in this thread when I originally replied. It was added later.

And, just like any theatre on land, or any 5 star restaurant...there's nothing wrong with GETTING a cell phone call. The etiquette enters in how one accommodates the call.

But I swear I've never seen this "it's all about Marsha, Marsha, Marsha" attitude on the NCL board....

- dress like us, or YOU go eat elsewhere

- don't get a phone call, or YOU go to your cabin

- stay seated in a lounger, or YOU go stand somewhere

There just APPEARS to be this holier than thou attitude at work here, and it's off-putting.

I'm not affixing it to any one person or persons, but there's a general air...and I'm hoping that I'm misreading things.

Why can't people learn to live with other people, regardless of differences of opinion, schedule, food preference, availability for cell phone calls, etc.?

;)

Look sjbdtz & daniel1313... Don't put words in my mouth. No where did I say how I would use it.. sjbdtz, it seems you have your panties in a wad over everything I post. All this what ifs of yours mean nothing.. I will give you an example of a ZAP!.. Talk loudly in the dining room to someone telling them what you are eating.. ZAP! Answering your phone during a show and not leaving to continue the conversation.. ZAP!! Common courtesy goes both ways..

NOPE, not you at all (at least not you specifically). If we've clashed before, it's on the strength of the topic at hand.

I don't bear grudges, and I don't presume to judge people without meeting them and having an opportunity to learn more about their circumstance. After all, it's easy to misconstrue tone-of-voice and even easier to forget to include a little piece of data...which can change :

"I'm bringing my zapper....'cause it's legal to use internationally" into

"I'd only zap inconsiderate people who don't leave the dining room while taking their call....or those in the theatre who try to maintain a conversation above the sound of the entertainment"

What a difference a few details make :rolleyes:

Me...I'm friends with everybody...I only take issue....with issues.

Why can't people learn to live with other people, regardless of differences of opinion, schedule, food preference, availability for cell phone calls, etc.?

Usually because the people making such requests are unwilling to meet the other side half way. And thus, the conflict exists. Cut me some slack, and I'll cut you some. Get in my face, well, you know the rest.

I think most people responded to the survey about cell phone usage provided by Princess in about the same way I did. It's not a terrible idea, but does need limitations. For every person who might have a legitimate and understandable need to be at the beck and call of the rest of the world, there are dozens who simply want to natter on and on, oblivious to their surroundings and anyone who might be within the range of annoyance.

Usually because the people making such requests are unwilling to meet the other side half way. And thus, the conflict exists. Cut me some slack, and I'll cut you some. Get in my face, well, you know the rest.

I think most people responded to the survey about cell phone usage provided by Princess in about the same way I did. It's not a terrible idea, but does need limitations. For every person who might have a legitimate and understandable need to be at the beck and call of the rest of the world, there are dozens who simply want to natter on and on, oblivious to their surroundings and anyone who might be within the range of annoyance.

I agree!

Enough with the arguing already--can't we just agree to disagree on whether using a cell phone while on a cruise is necessary/useful/rude/criminal/etc.?

MY question is how to convince my teenage DD NOT to use her cell phone while on the Golden the week after next... I've told her that service will be available but will be expensive so she can't use it, but does this mean her phone has to stay turned off for the whole cruise? I'm more worried about her friends calling/texting her than the other way around...

I'll call Cingular to check on this tomorrow, but just wanted to see if anyone else has had any experience with teens & cell phones on ship (and move this discussion away from the pointlessly argumentative turn it seems to have taken...) Does anyone know if/what the roaming charge for text messages is?

Enough with the arguing already--can't we just agree to disagree on whether using a cell phone while on a cruise is necessary/useful/rude/criminal/etc.?

MY question is how to convince my teenage DD NOT to use her cell phone while on the Golden the week after next... I've told her that service will be available but will be expensive so she can't use it, but does this mean her phone has to stay turned off for the whole cruise? I'm more worried about her friends calling/texting her than the other way around...

I'll call Cingular to check on this tomorrow, but just wanted to see if anyone else has had any experience with teens & cell phones on ship (and move this discussion away from the pointlessly argumentative turn it seems to have taken...) Does anyone know if/what the roaming charge for text messages is?

I have a teen with a cell phone and I understand your concerns. I will say, however, if my teen were going on my cruise with me in June, I would make certain her cell was turned off and left at home -- she doesn't need it! There is no such thing (IMHO) as a teen emergency . . .

Personally, I like to talk on the cell phone on the open decks, while smoking.

If I can be "saving" a few chairs by the pool, so much the better.

Then I just pull on my tee shirt for formal night.

My kids are bringing their friends this spring break so that they can run amuck on the Crown. I have showed them the "Brownie Riot" and they are sure that they can create a better movie for You tube. I'll be sure to put it up on cruise critic.

I don't have to worry about them getting drinks from the bar, because I am smuggling all mine in after I buy it at the pier. They will get a soda card and we will all share it.

And the last night of the cruise I'll be sure to remove the autotip since I am traveling with kids and who needs to tip for them ? And why should I be paying the staff for Princess, those cheapskates.

Did I miss anything ?

And then he starts looking at the phone, yelling "can you hear me now" and tries to pull out the antenna a little more. I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to contain my smile. And then I get bopped in the face.

And when he tells you he is a cardiologist doing a consult with his colleague? :eek:

If someone is inconsiderate, they'll be inconsiderate regardless of whether they hold the magic wand or magic cellphone.

:cool: This is the worst possible news.

That is precisely why I chose cruising over land-based vacations since

everyone quacks on their cell phones incessantly by the pools in Hawaii or where ever, and the idea

of a vacation is to relax. How can we relax when there's no where to go on the ship, because I can see it now, everybody everywhere, talk-talk-talk-talk-talk-talk..."can you hear me NOW???"

Cell phone usage is not a right. It's a privilege.

How did I ever raise my kids, go on vacations, work, go shopping, dine out, see movies etc. without a cell phone glued to my ear?
I dunno. My problem is that I need to remember to turn it on. :) I keep on forgetting or accidentally leave it on so that the battery dies.

A cell phone can be a blessing if you have a sick or elderly loved one. Yes, you can contact them via the ship's phone but frankly, it's a heck of a lot easier using one's cell phone. Last year when I was on the Royal Princess, I received an email message via my daughter from my Mom via my daughter that my Dad had just been diagnosed with a fast-moving cancer and wouldn't survive much beyond my return date (it was a 21-day cruise). He was healthy and hearty when we'd left just 10 days before. I used my cell phone when I got to Barcelona to talk to her which meant an awful lot to her. At 91 years old, she was pretty much alone in dealing with this. I wish I could have used my cell phone while on the ship so I could talk to her as soon as I received the message. My Dad passed away less than two weeks after our return and thankfully, I was able to make arrangements to fly to FL to visit while still on the ship. Sadly, my Mom passed away less than six months later.

There are some people who mis-use cell phones and yes, I've seen my share of them. But there are other times when being in touch with family through a familiar communication system makes a big difference. If Princess has hot spots only in places where it's unlikely to annoy others (no matter how hard some try), then I'm all for it.

And when he tells you he is a cardiologist doing a consult with his colleague? :eek:

And this sort of ridiculous attitude is why we are all going down the tubes--find just one possible exception, no matter how remote a possibility, and suddenly all common sense is thrown out the window.

Perhaps we should use this same philosophy elsewhere? For example, if somebody picks your pocket while in port--LET THEM! They may have a serious need for the money (like an operation for their child), so you are being rude if you try to stop them. It's the same with an inconsiderate cell phone user---let them steal your peace and solitude because that call just might be critical.

To the folks who are defending this with the "it might be an important call", please listen to calls around you for the next few days and tell us how many inconsequential calls you hear before you find that urgent one. If you get to 100 before you hear it, then don't bother counting any more....

Jape

Archived