$$$CELL PHONES are a GO on ALL PRINCESS SHIPS Sarting TODAY, WOW!$$$

JotWorld

I think I'll just continue to keep in touch via the Internet. Even if there is an emergency at home, there is nothing I can do immediately from hundreds or thousands of miles away anyway. If I am needed immediately, my family is smart enough to call the ship and get in touch with me.

I hope Princess realizes to keep them from working outside of the cabin. I don't want to be kicking back on a deck chair only to hear someone's Aunt Mable yelling into her phone, "guess where I am" to everyone whose phone number is programmed into her cell. I would rather be hanging out with several college kids who have a buddy over 21 supplying them suds for a deck party.:eek:

We call people yakking on phones "phone zombies." One nice thing about being on a ship is being away from the zombies, especially as you're not in a parking lot trying to drive without hitting one of them (even though I've thought about it;) :rolleyes: ).

Cell phone availability worked well for us on a cruise to Mexico last year. We were delayed overnight due to a medical stop the ship made in Lazaro Cardenas. We had made very specific arrangements and had committed to being there at an early time. Because the cell worked on the ship I was able to call my daughter and grandson and have them get us contact information for the folks in Acapulco to alter our arrangements. It was great.

That said, we switched from Cingular to Verizon this week because my parents don't have GSM where they live, only CDMA. So I guess our cell use on the ship is gone, until they all start carrying both bands. (I think we'll survive the deprivation.) ;)

the Stanger

Looks like I will be bringing my cell phone jammer with me.. Not legal in the US but legal in international waters.. :D:D

Largin, where do I get one of those cell phone jammers and how do they work? I'm interested. So, let me get the picture here. When I hear an irresponsible user (not a responsible user in a more discrete area on the ship...this is perfectly okay) in a loud conversation by my chair up on deck, can I take my jammer, point to this person, and click it??? And then he starts looking at the phone, yelling "can you hear me now" and tries to pull out the antenna a little more. I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to contain my smile. And then I get bopped in the face.

Looks like I will be bringing my cell phone jammer with me.. Not legal in the US but legal in international waters.. :D:D

Deja vu! :p

Cruzbw,

The smaller models look a bit like a cell phone (with an extra antenna or two). When you turn it on, it blocks all cell phones in a radius around you. They simply lose all service (no bars). My friend had one, and it was a dream. Makes cell phone users give up or move away from you.

Jape

Just great...now cell phones?:rolleyes: ...first it was screaming kids, walkie talkie rentals and now cell phone hell!...why don't we just stay on land ..pretty soon it will start feeling that way!

Tony

:cool: :eek: :cool:

Hi There,

One poster said what did we do ten years ago before thee were so many cells,

I have had mine for 25 years, OK the things got a lot smaller and is a lot cheaper, so what did we do 25 years ago well it was a pager going off instead, of a phone.

yours Shogun

:eek: :eek: and another :eek: !

In my humble opinion (as if I ever had one of those) this will be abused just like chair hogs, jeans in the dining room, diapers in the pool and the list goes on. I can just hear them ringing in the dining room and show lounges now. Since people abuse the use of them on dry land I see no reason to expect they will not do so aboard a cruise ship. Here's hoping I am wrong - won't be the 1st time.

You echoed my concerns to the T. Once the 'cat is out of the bag' or 'the cows are out of the barn' or 'the GENIE is out of the bottle' it will be hard to eliminate the cell phone usage.

As far as limiting them to cabins only what happens if you are taking a nap on your balcony and you constantly hear the cell phones ringing (remember there are all kinds of tunes). Or if you are sleeping at night like 2am and you hear your neighbors phone go off? Remember the walls are thin.

If they are used properly there would be no problem but as we all know there are a few people in this world that will not follow rules, and that's what concerns me.:eek:

Dollar Bill

I'm not sure how many were aware that cell phones could be used on our cruise, but I certainly saw no one abusing them on the ship. In fact, it was such a non-issue that I totally forgot about it until I saw this thread.

As others have mentioned, your phone has to be configured a certain way or it won't work. My wife tried her phone and couldn't get a signal. I left mine in the car in Galveston, on purpose. :D

Spongerob

We also sailed with you on the Grand Transatlantic and first I wasn't aware of the cell phone availability (I did observe a couple of cruisers speaking on their cell phone in the Horizon Court:eek: (so much for cell phones in cabins only) and second, friends of ours who sailed with us did not have reception until the 3rd and 5th SEA day, right before Ft. Lauderdale.

Bill

Bill,

The Ugly, just who is going to enforce these new rules, some people who board ships will not follow rules.

The same people who enforce the "no chair saving" rules by the pool and in the theater.

Exactly, my point is non-existant security. Earlier this year on Sydney to SF cruise we saw a fight break out because a gentleman was saving a seat for his wife who had to go to the rest room to give herself an insulin shot. When I say fight i.e. punches were thrown by both men wanting the empty seat (sadly:( , it was the best entertainment of the night for the passengers). As we are sailing on the Golden at this time I notice the announcement they have in the Princess Theatre is do not save more than one seat.

Dollar Bill

Spongerob

We also sailed with you on the Grand Transatlantic and first I wasn't aware of the cell phone availability (I did observe a couple of cruisers speaking on their cell phone in the Horizon Court:eek: (so much for cell phones in cabins only) and second, friends of ours who sailed with us did not have reception until the 3rd and 5th SEA day, right before Ft. Lauderdale.

Bill

I was on the Western Caribbean on Dec. 2-9.

Cingular says that if you sign up for the paid service ($5.95 per month) or if you sign up for the free service, you should leave your cell phone off unless you are using it. Otherwise you will be charged roaming fees whenever your phone gets a call whether it goes to voicemail or not. I would recommend that you keep it off and check your messages in your cabin. That way you can still be in contact with whomever you need to, you won't pay for the roaming charges applied when someone is leaving a voicemail, and your cell phone isn't a focal point of your vacation, or anyone else’s for that matter. In addition, it may be MUCH cheaper to check massages and make phone calls in the various ports, rather than on the ship. For example, roaming charges on the ship are $2.49 and roaming charges in Mexico are only 99 cents. I won't even get into the debate about etiquette. I would hope that people would use their best judgment. I'm a "glass is half full" kind of person.:)

Sailawayz

I don't think I'll tell my husband! If he finds out and then his corp. office finds out, he'll be getting his usual 100 phone calls a day!!!

No cell phone coverage is WHY WE CRUISE!!!

Maybe you should fly....no cell phones there!

I personally think its a good thing..IN MODERATION! I like everyone else dont want to listen to Joe Blow yacking on his cell all day..but is it going to "ruin my vacation"? I think not..I'm not that uptight. I will use my phone, but in my cabin and only once a day most likely before dinner. I'm leaving 6 kids at home, one being 2 and a 1 yr old...more than that, i have a pregnant yorkie that is due Jan 3rd...the cruise was a surprise, so i am going!! But, I'd like to be able to check in once a day to see if they are all alive ya know. Some of us dont have the luxury of falling off the face of the earth for a week....not to say we wouldn't want to lol. My phone will be on silent the rest of the time..not even on vibrate.

Kristie

:eek:

Wow....LARGIN.....aka Big Brother.

Nothing like forcing the world to conform to what YOU want, is there?

In grade-school they call this type of behavior self-centered and selfish. :eek:

Why shouldn't Largin do that? Why should non-cell phone users always be the ones to conform?

Archived