How Many Lobsters DO You Eat on Lobster Night?

LAFFNVEGAS

How Many Lobsters Do You Eat On Lobster Night?  

416 members have voted

1. 1. How Many Lobsters Do You Eat On Lobster Night?

• I Do Not Eat Lobster Yuck)
    • Just One, I am trying to watch my Figure.
    • 2 to 3 ( they are Small)
    • 4 to 6 ( What the heck, it's Lobster Night)
    • 7-9 (Remember they are small )
    • 10 or More (Yes I have a connection in the kitchen)

[quote name='revneal']PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals" would be proud of us!

As for me ... give me a nice big piece of beef![/QUOTE]

[color=orange][b]"A man of the cloth" with humor as sarcastic as my own... I gotta love that.[/b][/color]

[color=orange][b]My first cruise is in May and I am looking forward to eating.... Lobster in particular. Now... should we save Larry Lobster, or should we cook Larry Lobster.... you decide, while I go melt some butter![/b][/color]

Reply to "Wasted time": This board has set up some type of reward system based on the number of messages posted by an individual. I think that is what prompts some of the duplicate and redundant responses. If it is fun for the folks who are into that kind of thing, I don't think it is harmful for the rest. Just read what you are interested in or just the first few replies (as I do).

• 2 weeks later...
[b][size=4]No Butter for Bubba, the 22-Pound Lobster[/b]

[/size][font=Arial][size=2]Mar 2, 8:37 AM (ET)

By MIKE CRISSEY

[/size][/font][size=2]PITTSBURGH (AP) - He could be older than Warner Bros. studio, General Motors and the Boy Scouts. He could have survived two world wars and Prohibition. He could have been dinner.

He's Bubba, a 22-pound leviathan of a lobster pulled from the waters off Nantucket, Mass., and shipped to a Pittsburgh fish market.

"It is overwhelming," owner Bob Wholey said. "If you see it, you will never forget it. Customers are just in awe."

On Tuesday, Wholey gave the lobster to the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium, which will send him to an aquarium at a Ripley's Believe It or Not museum.

Based on how long it typically takes a lobster to reach eating size - about five to seven years to grow to a pound - Bubba may be 100 years old.

That would make the crustacean older than Warner Bros. (1907), the Boy Scouts (1910) and the states of Arizona and New Mexico (1912), not to mention the first commercial radio station (1920), television (1927) and computers (1943).

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals sent Wholey a letter asking him to work with the group to release Bubba back in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Maine.

Another group calling itself People For Eating Tasty Animals reportedly offered Wholey a hefty price for the lobster. At Tuesday's price of $14.98 a pound, Bubba would retail for about $350.

Bob Bayer, executive director of the University of Maine's Lobster Institute, is skeptical and estimates that Bubba is likely 50 years old, but doesn't know for sure. Warm water and plenty of food may have more to do with a lobster's size than how long it's been alive.

"We have looked at all kinds of things to figure out if there is any way to age a lobster. I'm guessing 100 years is probably too high but I can't argue with it because you don't know," Bayer said.

No matter his age, Bubba dwarfs a typical 1 1/2-pound lobster. He's about three feet long and took up about half a 4-foot-by-4-foot tank at Wholey's Market. A lobster sharing his tank was about as big as one of Bubba's claws.

A handful of people who wandered by the tank Tuesday were impressed. One woman quietly said, "Wow," while a man said, "He's serious."

Although his business is to sell seafood, Wholey says Bubba was never bound to be boiled and buttered. And he's become a little philosophical after seeing the lobster, which could be twice his 54 years.

"I don't think you could eat something that big. ... What range of emotions does a lobster have? Greed? Lust? Love? I'm just going to give him to the zoo and hope he lives another 100 years," Wholey said.

"If you sat down and ate this thing, wouldn't that be a bit shellfish?"

[/size]

I just happened to go to Wholey's on Monday to buy some seafood. I seen this critter in person. He was one big lobster. One of my business partners has a picture on his desk of a lobster he "caught" in maine. It was 21 pounds. In the picture, he is holding a claw in each hand, chest high. The end of the tail is about at his knees. He is over 6 feet tall. From what he has said, lobsters this size are not really uncommon. They generally are not considered "good to eat".

Tim

[b]We had REAL lobster for dinner tonight.[/b]

[b]DH went to our Lobster Pound, picked out two still swimming 2 .75 pound males; brought them home; we steamed them and they were fabulous.[/b]

[b]Hard to compare a measly 4 oz. frozen, defrosted, dry bite of lobster meat to a real Maine hardshell.[/b]

[b]For us New Englanders.....we're spoiled with such excellent lobster and most others disappoint us. So....for us, still no lobster for us on lobster night. [/b]

[COLOR=Blue] You are absolutely right Sails about the [B]"Maine" lobster is best by far".[/B] Also the best meat is in the claw, and there are no claws on the "Florida" lobster". Also the way you cooked it [B](Either steamed, or boiled) is the way it's best.[/B] It's in a class by itself.

But still - to me - the lobster they serve on ship beats all the other dishes, on the menu.

"I'll have two please"..[/COLOR] :)

I haven't eaten a lobster in years. I can't get the good fresh ones and the crummy ones are, well, crummy.

Susan had one on the Prinsendam and said it was the '4-ounce frozen' variety.

Lane

[size=1]See my Rottweiler? This is Fluffy, and I paid a heck of a lot of money for her.[/size]

[font=Comic Sans MS][/font]I always get two. When I finish the 1st one, I tell the waiter to bring another one. I think I had 3 last time. I've ordered a couple desserts too before. I make sure I can finish the food I order. Wasting it is just wrong.

Someone on this board had posted they had eaten nine, and seemed somewhat proud of that fact. So as the competitive natured person I am, I took that as a challenge.

I just got back from the Zuiderdam 3/19. I ate ten. Could have done allot more than that, but only had to beat nine. I would have to say that the first four tasted great, but soon after started tasting like rubber bands.

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]Just wondering why you would continue to eat something that 'tasted like a rubber band'? If it was so unpleasant tasting as that, why on earth would you stuff it into your body? I cannot understand that. An animal doesn't know better; presumably, human beings do???[/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][/font][/b]

[quote name='MnFrozen2']Someone on this board had posted they had eaten nine, and seemed somewhat proud of that fact. So as the competitive natured person I am, I took that as a challenge.

I just got back from the Zuiderdam 3/19. I ate ten. Could have done allot more than that, but only had to beat nine. I would have to say that the first four tasted great, but soon after started tasting like rubber bands.[/QUOTE]

[font=Arial Black]Good lord - I hope you weren't offended when your tablemates walked away in disgust...[/font]

I have to say that the lobster we had on the Zaandam was some of the best I have ever had (that I did not cook myself). They were NOT of the frozen variety, and they were absolutely perfectly cooked.

It's so hard to get a lobster in a restaurant that has not been cooked to the point of a new 3M product.

Archived