CRUISE LINE Single Supplement Bargains -- Post Here

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN

I think it would be nice if there was a thread (or forum) for solo cruisers to post any single supplement bargains that are being offered. I cruise solo most times and my cruise choices are dedicated in a large part to the cost of the single supplement -- which is why I tend to end up on Carnival, although also my personal favorite. If I were to get word of any other single supplement bargain, it would peck my interest for sure.:)

Anyhoo . . . .

Carnival Fantasy, 5 nights to Cozumel/Costa Maya in February 2007 is offering a single supplement of only $30 for Cat. 1A's. More money for Foo-Foo's:p

Does anyone else know of any great single supp. discounts going on?

I think that's a GREAT idea Suzin!

I, too, find myself more often than not on Carnival ships simply because they have the lowest single-supplement charge.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Carnival cruises, but would also like to spend more time on other lines if I knew about a good ss rate someone had found & was passing the info along to their fellow CCrs. I think it was Lois R, who mentioned a few times about good deals she had found on Celebrity ships. Had I known about those, I DEFINITELY would have liked to take advantage of it!

I think it's a great idea to have dedicated thread (or forum) where everyone could post any info they find on a good rate for a solo cruiser.

Perhaps we'd all be able to cruise more often this way, and this board would be "lit up":-)

Thanks for thinking of this good idea. Lets hope our moderator approves it.

Annie

I agree 100%. What an excellent idea. Although I've never been on a Carnival cruise, it would be nice to know what the options are. I have been a loyal RCCL cruiser and have never ventured lower than the fourth deck on any of my cruises. Guess we're "all in the same boat" when it comes to single supplements (no pun intended). Cruiselines need to acknowledge us. Our money is just as good as pairing and some of us have no problem cruising solo, but our options are a bit limited.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great idea! As a solo cruiser, I'm forced to book inside cabins, bargain-hunt for the cheapest cruises if I have to pay double, etc. So let's keep our eyes open for each other! I did find a website specifically for solo cruisers. It's unfortunate that most of the lines offering no or reduced single supplements are also the most expensive lines!

I'm so sorry Lois, I had the info that you gave me concerning Celebrity's Tuesday sales.

Lois R. a cruisecritic fav, posted a while back a website that post Celebrity's weekly speicals. Some of the rates have no or very low supplement rates. I know that she had an upcoming cruise, but when she return, prehaps she can give us the website again.

Also, check out HAL. They offer reasonable single rates. For example, I'm taking a 10 cruise in April and only paying $200 more than the double rate for an inside cabin.

If you qualify for the interline rate (airline associated businesses, military etc) you can sometime come up with a great deal on the single room rate paying $100s less. I have also been upgraded from no window to a window room by myself.

In fact, some cruise lines (CCL for one) will allow an interline person to book a separate room for family and/or friends on the same cruise. In fact, I am off next week solo on the VALOR in my own cabin.

• Administrators
---snip--------

I think it's a great idea to have dedicated thread (or forum) where everyone could post any info they find on a good rate for a solo cruiser.

----snip------. Lets hope our moderator approves it.

Annie

We're fine with you folks using this thread to share info you may find on solo cruising bargains -- as long as those bargains are offered by the CRUISE LINES and not by a travel agency or GROUP CRUISE.

Thanks,

Laura

Hi Annie, good morning:)

I did just return home from a Celebrity Cruise:D well, not

just...but home on Dec 24th...has it been 2 weeks already:eek:

Yes, on Tuesday they come out with a few sailings that

are less, though the single supp is still the same. The total

would be less because of the decreased overall price.

Just depends on if you can go when the cruise is offered.

I will repost the link for you next week. I have it on my

pc at work.

And I had an awesome time on this cruise too.

I want to be back on the ship:(

Holland America offers reasonable single supplements on their basic inside and outside cabins, as long as you don't want to sail during peak periods or holidays. On my last 4 cruises I've paid 140-150%.

Roz

Thanks for the update Lois R. And WELCOME HOME.

I'm hoping to get in on one of the special offers you mentioned and get back on a Celebrity cruise myself sometime soon. They are the BEST aren't they?

I have a quick question for you regarding Celebrity.

I recently read an article that Celebrity has "parted ways" with their longtime world-renowned chef Michael Roux. Have you noticed a change in their food or menu since his departure?

I've only cruised on Celebrity three times so far, but each time, the food & the menu selections have been OVER THE TOP!! I'm hoping it's still of this caliber.

Thanks again for your info.

Island Annie

a few cruises i've taken in the past, i've been able to get on with next to no single supplement (on carnival only). If you are flexible, call the cruise line directly one or two days before it's due to depart. If there are any 'non-occupied' rooms, they will <<a fair amount of time>> let you take the room at the double-occ rate with no supplement. I guess they figure it's better than nothing.

the key to this is being very flexible and being able to take a week off of work on a moment's notice.

Thanks for the update Lois R. And WELCOME HOME.

I'm hoping to get in on one of the special offers you mentioned and get back on a Celebrity cruise myself sometime soon. They are the BEST aren't they?

I have a quick question for you regarding Celebrity.

I recently read an article that Celebrity has "parted ways" with their longtime world-renowned chef Michael Roux. Have you noticed a change in their food or menu since his departure?

I've only cruised on Celebrity three times so far, but each time, the food & the menu selections have been OVER THE TOP!! I'm hoping it's still of this caliber.

Thanks again for your info.

Island Annie

Annie, I have only been cruising with Celebrity since May 2003.

The food has always been very good (in my opinion of course;) )

Those long time cruisers with X who go back many, many years say

the food has definitely declined.

I can only speak from my experiences~10 Celebrity crusies,

all terrific:D

I think Michele Roux is just leaving now so I have no idea what

the changes will be.....will have to just wait and see.

Oh you wanted the link to the Happy Hours:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/sales/happy_hour/XcitingDeals_CEL_tues.pdf

There you go!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN

the time to get the best rate for a solo cruiser is right after the cut-off date for cancellations and full payments. The week after that, if there are a good number of inside (cat 4a-d) rooms left over or if a travel agency has handed back unbooked rooms, Carnival will reduce the price and add very little single supplement. My guess would be that at this point it is better to have one person locked into the room than wait for two people to book last minute. Also, it is much more likely to get a solo to do a last minute cruise based on price than it is to get two people to agree to the same scenario.

I plan to cruise Memorial Day week (Sat/Sun 5/26-27). I am quite flexible as to which ship and itinerary. I am looking at: Carnival Legend, Triumph, Liberty or Glory and maybe, just maybe the Miracle. It all depends on which ship drops its price the most and first. Right now the single rate for a Cat 1A (I don't care where they put me) is in the $869 - $1200 (not including tax) range. I am checking every day and as soon as I get something that drops significantly, I will book it.:D

I also plan to take a cruise for my b-day in early October but I have learned that during that time of the year, it is best to wait until the absolute last minute because it is prime hurricane season, the prices really, really, really drop at this point b/c school is back in session and peak vacation times are over. Last year I got 7 night on Destiny for less than $400 total. Also airfare from NYC (major hub) to just about all ports of embarkation also takes a dive during the late Sept - Mid Nov timeframe.

Keep your eyes open. :eek:

P.S. For many reasons, I find that booking directly with the cruiseline has more advantages than disadvantages.

I haven't booked yet, but I have found Carnival "Triumph" in October for only $409 dbl occupancy, and only $534 single, so a supplement of $125. I may book soon. What do you think ?

I booked at that price last week, as I thought it was pretty reasonable. That and the fact it goes to Half Moon Cay, one of the nicest places I've ever been to.

This will be my 3rd solo cruise, and my first on Carnival.

I've been looking for info on the Triumph, not a lot of specifics but it sounds as if people like the ship and have a great time.

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN
How do you know when that is? Is it 2 months before the cruise?

It is at the end of the cancellation period. What is that 60 -75 days before the cruise. Whenever I want an exact date I just go on the web and go through the steps to book the cruise. The screen that asks for your credit card info (don't enter this) will also show what deposit is due and when the remaining balance is due. The date that balance is due is the day before (most times) the cancellation period ends. The week after that you will see movement in the price.

My only experience in this is on Carnival. May not work on the other cruiselines.

Don't know. I could be 1000% wrong but it works for me.

I discovered when booking a 1A on Carnival Spirit, 8 night Mexican Riviera, 3/15 cruise that the Spirit class ships do not have different sized cabins for their 1A cataegory, just a block of regular inside cabins.

Was able to book, using the military rate, a 1A gty for a total of $425, including all port charges, taxes and fees. That was about 20% higher than their inside double occupancy military rate for that cruise. Still a great bargain at $53 per night. (Can't even get a Motel 6 for that price)

Dave

3/4/2007 Costa Med West Caribbean inside comes up to $588 for any inside cabin. Any Balcony $948. No Oceanviews available. Make sure they book you under the Best Available and not Anidamo rates. Hope someone can use this. Also good rates on the Magica, East. Caribbean.:rolleyes:

Where do you look for the best rates...directly w/the cruiseline?

3/4/2007 Costa Med West Caribbean inside comes up to $588 for any inside cabin. Any Balcony $948. No Oceanviews available. Make sure they book you under the Best Available and not Anidamo rates. Hope someone can use this. Also good rates on the Magica, East. Caribbean.:rolleyes:

Archived