Room Attendant Salaries

Do you Make??? What a rude question!!! If someone walked up to me on a cruise ship... if I was working or cruising, and asked me how much I made... I'd simply walk away.... Obviously they are making enough (tips or salary) to keep them on the ship(s)... many stay with the ship(s) for years... I would never dream of asking such a question... nor would I expect that actually knowing would change the way I tip...

Gosh, this is getting interesting. For my two cents, I think it is despicable for the cruise lines to be able to get away with giving someone a salary of $50. I am really not easy with the concept that their salary is virtually all tip-generated. The cruise lines renege their responsibility as employers...

BUT...

We enjoy cruising and that's just the way that it is. I really wish that it wasn't our responsibilities to pay these guys wages; I think that's morally wrong. But that's the way it is and you've got to accept it

AND...

It has to be said that these people do work for years on end. On Explorer in 2003, I saw our waiter from Monarch in 1998. These guys are virtually slaves to be sure, and I think it takes a certain kind of person (certainly not me) to be able to work under those condition, but if they can cope with it they keep doing it. Personally how one can work virtually 24/7 with being away from home for 6 months is beyond me.

Well let me tell this. I always pay full tip for 3 of us... I don't pay more because I think it's a good salary already.

They work hard for 7 days a week , but hey $3,000 - 4,000 of cash is a good salary for white collar worker (after the college in US). To be able to earn this kind of money is a huge privilege already.

Just to give you an example... I am originally from Ukraine and with Master degree in Math (used to be a math teacher in high school and private tutor for college students in 1993 - 1996) My monthly salary was around $50 !!!!! As a tutor I was making another $100 - 150 a month. My parents were engineers all their life but they as many others lost their jobs when economy died there. Before they lost their jobs they were earning a little bit more than me. My father (who worked 5 days a week) was forced to work many weekends as an electrician to meet ends.

I was living in US when I learned that he decided to work in Chukotka (the land in Russia next to Alaska) to work as engineer on gold mines. Knowing who works and lives there (mostly former prisoners) I was scared to death that I might not be able to see him again. Thanks God he is a US citizen now.

So ..to make story short.. I give full tips, and I bought some toys and clothing for the kids of some Russian crew members (from Lithuania) but there is no reason to think that poor things are under appreciated.

They have a clear choice between making $100-300 a month working regular week or $3000 + working 7 days on the ship. :)

WOW I don't know any cabin attendant who makes 3 to 4K A WEEK??

Well let me tell this. I always pay full tip for 3 of us... I don't pay more because I think it's a good salary already.

They work hard for 7 days a week , but hey $3,000 - 4,000 of cash is a good salary for white collar worker (after the college in US). To be able to earn this kind of money is a huge privilege already.

Just to give you an example... I am originally from Ukraine and with Master degree in Math (used to be a math teacher in high school and private tutor for college students in 1993 - 1996) My monthly salary was around $50 !!!!! As a tutor I was making another $100 - 150 a month. My parents were engineers all their life but they as many others lost their jobs when economy died there. Before they lost their jobs they were earning a little bit more than me. My father (who worked 5 days a week) was forced to work many weekends as an electrician to meet ends.

I was living in US when I learned that he decided to work in Chukotka (the land in Russia next to Alaska) to work as engineer on gold mines. Knowing who works and lives there (mostly former prisoners) I was scared to death that I might not be able to see him again. Thanks God he is a US citizen now.

So ..to make story short.. I give full tips, and I bought some toys and clothing for the kids of some Russian crew members (from Lithuania) but there is no reason to think that poor things are under appreciated.

They have a clear choice between making $100-300 a month working regular week or $3000 + working 7 days on the ship. :)

Do you Make??? What a rude question!!! If someone walked up to me on a cruise ship... if I was working or cruising, and asked me how much I made... I'd simply walk away.... Obviously they are making enough (tips or salary) to keep them on the ship(s)... many stay with the ship(s) for years... I would never dream of asking such a question... nor would I expect that actually knowing would change the way I tip...

Just for the record, I didn't ask anyone what they made directly (I kind of think most others don't either..) We asked our waiter if he knew how much the cabin stewards made, and he volunteered what he and the assistant waiter made (nothing but tips), and mentioned other positions that did have a salary, like the maitre 'd.

It's true, even if I knew that these crew members were making a salary, I'd still tip the same amount. I would hope that some of the people who decide not to tip because they assume these people make a salary would change their minds if they knew the real story. I'm glad this topic came up - it makes for a great discussion!

KStevens79:

To me, the social faux pas of being a bad tipper raises such a red flag that it would make me seriously question dating that person. Hopefully your girlfriend has many other admirable qualities to make up for that - but if not, isn't it funny how traveling with someone can teach you all kinds of things about them you didn't know?

Travelgrrl

She is not my "girlfriend" as in dating... we are both female and it was just a weekend away. Yes, I learned a lot about her that weekend, we don't travel like we used too! I was appalled and embarrassed at the tip amount she left, but I couldn't talk her into leaving more.

Karen

What would I consider an extra tip ??? We gave our room attendant Socorro the standard tip vouvhers plus an extra $50 in cash because he really deserved it he worked his butt off.

I don't mind giving an additional tip on top of the standard vouchers if they do a great job.

You ever wonder about the person serving you in Mc Donalds. She doesn't get free room and board, taxes are taken out of her check, nobody ever says good job here's a dollar for you.

These cruise ship workers make over $2000 a month free and clear, no rent, no ele bill, no gas bill, no food bill. $12,000 for 6 months free and clear is pretty good.

I don't know about other lines, but I know on Costa they had free time during the day and evening. I had called the cabin steward at about 1:15 and was told she is on break from 1:00-3:00 than again from 6:00-8:00.

I'm not saying they don't work hard, but so does the person in Mc Donalds.

But you never tip her.

I don't think cruise workers do so bad.

a crew member is away from the family...not like a mcdonalds employee!!!!!

away from their kids they don't see them growing up etc etc :(

some do not have choice and end up doing this job just to feed their kids and maybe offer them a better future....

some do not have choice and end up doing this job just to feed their kids and maybe offer them a better future....

sorry - everyone has a choice. they accept the job freely and nobody forces them to do it. if they need the job just to feed their kids and offer them a better future, then that is their choice entirely. the have the same option that their other compatriats have and do not work for the cruise lines. they made the decision to take the work so they COULD feed their kids and offer a better future. they make the choice willingly - nobody forces them to, and, as others have mentioned, they do make good money in the end - and from what I understand, most, if not all of it is free from taxes.

First of all, thank you all for replying to my post so quickly. It was quite a surprise to come home from work today to find two pages' worth of great reading.

Speaking of work, I happen to work in a hotel in Manhattan as an intern. This week, I am working in the housekeeping department. In housekeeping, and every other department I've visited, the managers are constantly dealing with the union: e.g.- managers cannot do union work, room attendants can only make-up 14 rooms (10 deluxe rooms), room attendants cannot be forced to clean extra and cannot be forced to stay beyond 8 hours. Furthermore, they get paid minimally (from the start, that is) $19/hour, working only 5 days per week. Moreover, having made-up rooms myself, it is quite straining on the body, and I'm a strong 17-year-old guy.

For the cruise lines, there is no union to regulate workers' pay, hours, etc. Consequently, the staff can be forced to work many hours, 7 days a week, 183 days a year, for very little money. Granted, they choose to work for this job to feed their kids and make a better life, but look at it this way: do you honestly believe that your cabin attendant or waiter does $7.00 worth of work per couple? No way! And I'm sorry ILov2cruise, but could you live on a $12,000 with a family at home?

Anyway, thanks to everyone for your input, and happy cruising!!!

I don't think I've seen a comment so insensitive on this board in a long time.
sorry you don't approve Cruiz'n - unfortunately I happen to say exactly what I mean and I wasn't intending to be sensitive - it was meant to state the facts. you on the other hand live in fantasyland where the realities of this world are irrelevant.

First off, I know several peolple that work in the cruiselines and, despite the fact that they are foreigners, they work harder then most in any industry. Not only do they work 7 days a week, but they have to deal with people who don't value any service and don't tip at all - and it would suprise you to know how many people on any given cruise are either horrible tippers, and or don't bother to tip, period.

Their shifts are usually 6 months in duration -time spent away from their family and friends. Whatever their particular socioeconomic status is in their home country, it is despicabley arrogant for you to say that they are lucky to have their job. I'd love to see how long you would last in it. Just because they are foreigners, doesn't mean they aren't human beings.

say what you like mother theresa - did I say that they weren't human beings? absolutely not. and they should feel luck to have their jobs exactly for the reasons I've put forth which you find so abhorrent. if they didn't have the job with the cruise line, what exactly do you suppose they would be doing in their home countries? where else are you going to find a job that pays as well with so little experience?

ok - so, if there is a problem, then, why in the world would they take the job to begin with? as you noticed someone else has provided reference to an actual contract - you will take note that it is a FREE WILL contract. nobody is forcing them to take the job, and they can leave whenever they like if they can't handle it. how hard they work, etc., etc. is entirely a non-issue - that is the job that they contracted for. maybe you aren't familiar with the concept of free will employment - are you? if their pay is based on customer satisfaction and the customer providing a tip, then they have to earn it. if the customer boards the ship, and at the end of the week says "you know, I paid $x,000 for this cruise, and in all honesty, the service wasn't all that great" why should the customer by guilt-driven into leaving the recommended tip? don't you think the employer should be responsible for paying their employee salaries? why should the consumer be responsible? and, if the consumer is responsible, it is that consumer who determines what the just gratuity is based on his experience and satisfaction.

again, you may consider it insensitive, but, we are talking about a free market economy from start to finish. if the cruise employee doesn't like the work, or feels that he is not being paid properly or given sufficient benefits, he doesn't have to work for the cruise line - someone else will. I don't like the fact that jobs in the US are being sent to India in my line of work, but they do it cheaper - right? hey, we all work hard - that's what enables us to go on these cruises. if you don't get service which is of the value of the recommended tip above what you paid for the cruise, why in the world are you going to pay it? because you are a sensitive person and care about the socioeconomic life situation of the cruise employees? that's not what I go on a cruise for.

And I'm sorry ILov2cruise, but could you live on a $12,000 with a family at home?

in what country are we speaking of? there are plenty where if you take home $12,000 tax free you would be doing just fine.

There are plenty of people here in the states that do live on that kind of money. $12,000 for six months of work tax free is not bad. Thats $24,000 a year and for some it's $40,000 a year after they take taxes out it's the same 24,000.

The cost of living where they come from is a lot less than here in the states.

Do you think that poor slop really wants to work in Mc Donalds or they HAVE to work there to support their families. Sorry, but I really don't care about the cruise ship worker who sends home money to pay his $50 a month rent.

They don't do so bad. It's their choice to be away from their families for 6 months at a time.

If you want to feel sorry for anyone start in your own city, I'm sure there are plenty of poor people out there.

Chickenparm, $12,000 tax free and free room and board for 6 month is pretty good.

Okay, this is like a train wreck . . . can't help but say something.

Actually, I'm interested in this topic because my husband and I have talked about working on cruise ships when we retire. We want to do something 100% different from our current professional jobs. We'll retire with full pensions in our early 50s, and we'd like to do something to bring in some income for 10-15 years or so until our social security kicks in. We think it'd be good to work, perhaps, 6 months on the ship, 6 months retirement.

Back to the subject, I suspect the crew probably has good weeks and bad weeks. I'm sure the waiters have the occasional family reunion of 15 who leaves a whopping $5 on the table on the last night, and then they have weeks where everyone tips well. Considering the number of tables waited x 2 seatings /number of rooms cleaned, IF everyone tips the average, I suspect they are making around $3000/month.

That's not bad. As a teacher, I have two college degrees, a professional license, and 14 years experience. I make $3500 per month; in all fairness, I probably have more benefits than the cruise ship employees. And during the school year I do work 6 days a week with extracurriculars and all the work that must be taken home.

However, many of you are overlooking one big, big factor: In addition to that $3000 per month, they ALSO have room and board. True, it's not a luxury accomodation, but it's no worse than the college dorms in which I spent several happy years. When I was just out of college I made MUCH LESS than $3000/month, AND I had to provide my own room and board. Back then it took every penny I had just to eat, live indoors, and have a basic car; new clothes, meals out, furniture -- those were way beyond my means. On the other hand, cruise ship employees could, if they wanted, save almost every cent they earn! What other group can do that? Not many.

Yes, they are away from family, but so are many other people. The US military personnel in Iraq come to mind right away. Consider, too, that many of the crew are still very young and are in see-the-world, get-away-from-the-family mode. Again, this is a choice. Probably some embrace the opportunity to leave family behind, while others hate it.

So what do I think about tipping?

I think we should tip generously for good service. I'd suggest starting with the "suggested amounts" and moving up or down a bit for quality (or lack thereof).

I don't think we should tip because we feel sorry for people or their situations (situations which may or may not be what we imagine them to be).

again, you may consider it insensitive, but, we are talking about a free market economy from start to finish. if the cruise employee doesn't like the work, or feels that he is not being paid properly or given sufficient benefits, he doesn't have to work for the cruise line - someone else will. I don't like the fact that jobs in the US are being sent to India in my line of work, but they do it cheaper - right? hey, we all work hard - that's what enables us to go on these cruises. if you don't get service which is of the value of the recommended tip above what you paid for the cruise, why in the world are you going to pay it? because you are a sensitive person and care about the socioeconomic life situation of the cruise employees? that's not what I go on a cruise for.

This is the point I am trying to make... Your cruise fare obviously DOES NOT COVER employee salaries. Thus, it is our responsibility to alot money to pay these hard workers. I am not emphasizing the fact that they can live a "pretty good life" for $12,000 (although I can't figure out how one can consider living in tiny quarters, cooped up in a ship for 6-months and then returning to the same country where the majority of the money will pay for other members of the family). Once again, I will ask you: do you believe the work your cabin attendant does in your cabin in one day is worth $7.00? If you do, then with all due respect, you are horrilbly mistaken. Go to any hotel and follow any room attendant for one day, and then tell me how much you think the work is worth (and that's without re-cleaning the rooms at night).

I don't mean to be rude. I realize that those of you responding to this post are adults and have seen much more of the world than I, but I hope that you will value my opinion, and realize that from the beginning I was just curious as to how much money they make.

Sorry to add, but I just read MrsPete's comments, and I agree. One shouldn't tip because they feel sorry, but because they value the service the workers are providing.

With that in mind, I find it interesting that people compare cabin-attendants on a cruise-ship to a McDonald's worker. IMHO, a ship cabin attendant works harder, as the expectations are much higher.

Once again, sorry to add....

Thus, it is our responsibility to alot money to pay these hard workers.
we differ on this point. who is the employer - the cruise line or the customer? it is the cruise line, unquestionably, that is who is responsible for paying the salary. if that's $50 and a minimum guaranteed tip amount, then that's it - that is what's in their contract which they signed up to - free will and all. if they get more tips for a job well done (in the customer's view), then more power to them. but, it is not the customer's responsibility/obligation to have to pay them for a service which is in fact part of what your cruise ticket is buying.

do you believe the work your cabin attendant does in your cabin in one day is worth $7.00? If you do, then with all due respect, you are horrilbly mistaken. Go to any hotel and follow any room attendant for one day, and then tell me how much you think the work is worth (and that's without re-cleaning the rooms at night).
I was reading a story in the Wall St. Journal, maybe a month or two ago. It talked about the "maids" that people had in Japan I think. they were being paid something like $7 a week - and they worked just as hard as (if not harder than) these cabin stewards. the pay is all relative. you think it's worth more than $7 a day based on US standards of what $7 is, and what you believe hard work is. in different societies, the amount will be different based on their standards.

While I have to say that I have tremendous respect for the work the crewmembers do ,and and tip them very well at the end of our cruise, I notice that for the most part they seem to be good natured and do not appear to be suffering greatly. I should add that I also realize that they are away from their families, children, wives, mothers and fathers for as much as 6 months at a time. I have never heard anyone complain which makes me want to tip them even more! I can't help but find it curious that this subject stirs up so much animosity....What am I missing here?

Sorry Chicken, but it's NOT MY responsibility to pay them.

I compare cruise workers to Mc donalds workers because I think it's very strange that you feel sorry for the not badly paid cruise worker but think nothing of the low paid counter person.

Mc donalds worker $6 an hour 8Hrs a day = $48 $48 x 7 days= $336

and than there's taxes, room & board and any other bills. And you feel sorry for the cruise ship worker enough to give him extra tips but not for the poor slob getting your lunch. They work hard also.

Sorry I just don't get it.

I was lucky enough to be able to go to college, not everyone is. Yes, they took the job in Mc Donalds(maybe thats all they can do) and so did these cruise ship workers.

Too many starving people in the US and too little who really care.

Ilovetocruise: Why on earth would you demean a McDonald's employee by calling them a "poor slob"? I take high offense to that as my son (18) just finished working for McDonald's for the past year. He started out at $6/hr and ended at $6.10/hr. My son is not a "poor slob". Poor maybe, but not a slob! :( :D

And, it is his choice that he does not wish to go to college. I wish people would learn that just because they see someone working in a job that they feel is "beneath them", doesn't mean that particular person feels that way or is "beneath them" too. Service jobs take a certain type of character (humility) that most people don't possess. Also, there are many, many people in the US that went to college but still are working a $6-$7/hr job, so I don't think college or lack of college has anything to do with it.

Now, as for tips! Do any of you know what the acronym tips stand for? T.I.P.S. - to insure prompt service!!!! So, if we want extra good service, why do we wait until the end of the cruise to tip????

Sorry loving mom, I didn't mean slob as in SLOB. Sorry about useing that word. It was a poor word to use. Not sorry about anything else I said. That is the way I feel.

I didn t put anyone down , or say they were beneath me because they didn t go to college. I said I was lucky enough to go, and not everyone is.

I also was trying to defend the low wage earner. I still don't understand why people are worried about the underpaid cruise worKer and not the under paid Mc Donalds worker(or any other fast food worker). Go back and reread my posts before you jump on me about your son and the reasons he doesn t want to attend college right now. Let me know where in my posts I put down the counter person at any fast food place. If anything, I thought they should also be tipped.

Archived