Passport Clarification Needed..

cruisin_fanatic

I am truly trying to follow what you are saying. The visa part is not making sense. I live 22 miles from Canada -- we have a Nexus pass and go back and forth all the time. There is no visa required in order to drive into Canada. Canada does not want people with certain convictions - no matter how many years ago it happened. This fact stated in our local newspapers frequently. However, for the right amount of $$$, it is possible to have it overturned. So, again, what role does a visa play? In my step-daughter's case, she was allowed to enter the country with a passport and $200 for temporary permission to enter the country -- the document she was given was not a visa -- it was a temporary permit. It is doubtful that you will find this in writing anywhere. . . but, this is how it works. . . . . sometimes.

In any event, my point is that things are not always what they seem (or what is written in obscure laws).

Just a reminder that it's much more difficult for a Canadian with any criminal history to enter the United States than for Americans with criminal history to enter Canada.

The USA can even refuse entry based on heresay without a conviction, as they did for a local University professor who did (legal) LSD research.

As always, if you want more details on entry to Canada, please contact your nearest consulate (there about about a dozen Canadian Consulates in the USA).

Although we know we do not need a passport as our cruise leaves and returns to Miami. We have gotten our passports after an incident from our local area. We have this sad news to report from our little town here in VA. A young college man was shot and killed recently. His killer was arrested and his name was delayed being released because his next of kin could not be located. As it turned out his parents were on a cruise, with NO passport. They had to try and contact another family member to identify their son. I can not imagine what the parents went through being stuck on a cruise that is meant to be fun and having to deal with their son lying in a morgue until they got back a week later. My heart was torn apart and I urged my husband that we needed to get passports.

Wife & I have our PP's for a May 2011 Alaskan Cruise. Mother & Step Dad do not. We have been advised by our TA that since we live in Michigan, we can cruise up the inside passage, back to Victoria,BC then back to Seattle and we only need an 'Enhanced DL'. Now this cost about half of a PP but they may only cruise this one time. We are assured this is no problem...

Wife & I have our PP's for a May 2011 Alaskan Cruise. Mother & Step Dad do not. We have been advised by our TA that since we live in Michigan, we can cruise up the inside passage, back to Victoria,BC then back to Seattle and we only need an 'Enhanced DL'. Now this cost about half of a PP but they may only cruise this one time. We are assured this is no problem...

Yes, an Enhanced Drivers License is fine:

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/index.html

Actually, they don't even have to spend the money for that if they don't want to. As US citizens on a closed loop cruise (I am assuming the cruise starts and ends in Seattle), they can use an original or certified copy of their birth certificates plus a government-issued photo ID such as a drivers license:

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

Edited by njhorseman

• 1 month later...

A friend will be cruising with her husband who is American. She has a peruvian passport and they are cruising from San Diego to mexican ports then back to san diego on a holland america cruise. Is the peru passport sufficient for her to enter mexico?

The wording "Western Hemisphere" seriously needs updating.

In any event, the recent problems of the Carnival Splendour should be enough to make people rethink their decision not to get a passport. There are several reasons why the ship did not want to be towed to Mexico, but, had this been the only option, you would have had a lot of people without the proper documentation to get out of the country (by car or bus).

Would a U.S. Citizen (minor) with valid birth certificate, social security card, etc. be required to get a passport for a closed loop U.S. port cruise with stops in the caribbean? Looking at NCL Epic out of Miami and wondering if I need to order a passport for daughter.

Would a U.S. Citizen (minor) with valid birth certificate, social security card, etc. be required to get a passport for a closed loop U.S. port cruise with stops in the caribbean? Looking at NCL Epic out of Miami and wondering if I need to order a passport for daughter.

no- see

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html

you don't need the SSN. under 16 no identification is required only a state issued original/duplicate birth certificate with an appropriate seal....

over 16 a government issued picture id is required.

but check with the cruise line to make sure....

She would need her passport and whatever visas are required by Haiti, Jamaica and Mexico. Does she have Hong Kong SAR passport or a Chinese passport? She would have to check the requirements with the embassies or consulates before she leaves. There are different requirements for holders of Chinese passports and Hong Kong Special Administrative Region issued passports.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_Chinese_citizens_of_Hong_Kong#Americas

http://jhcuk.org/visas%202008%20.asp

http://www.learn4good.com/travel/mexico_visa.htm

Just a quick question, does a R/T closed-loop to Canada fall under the Western Hemisphere laws, would we need passports to go to Canada or can the ID's and BC work for this type of cruise.

Thanks for your help, you are the experts for this type of inquiry.

Just a quick question, does a R/T closed-loop to Canada fall under the Western Hemisphere laws, would we need passports to go to Canada or can the ID's and BC work for this type of cruise.

Thanks for your help, you are the experts for this type of inquiry.

no passport required for close loop cruises that stop in Canada....

• 4 weeks later...

Thought it might be a good idea to post a strong recommendation that anyone taking a "closed loop cruise" invest in a valid passport. Using a birth certificate is somewhat like rolling the dice and if you lose you will be out all the money you paid for your cruise (plus your transportation cost). The authorities are very fickle on what they accept as an "official birth certificate" and many cruisers have been denied boarding because their birth certificate does not meet whatever standard is being imposed. This post was prompted by a recent post on the HA board which again told the sad tale of a cruiser (a lady on her birthday no less) who was unable to take her cruise because the authorities at her port would not accept her birth certificate. The only way to be 100% sure is to have a valid passport with at least 6 months of validity.

Hank

Thought it might be a good idea to post a strong recommendation that anyone taking a "closed loop cruise" invest in a valid passport. Using a birth certificate is somewhat like rolling the dice and if you lose you will be out all the money you paid for your cruise (plus your transportation cost). The authorities are very fickle on what they accept as an "official birth certificate" and many cruisers have been denied boarding because their birth certificate does not meet whatever standard is being imposed. This post was prompted by a recent post on the HA board which again told the sad tale of a cruiser (a lady on her birthday no less) who was unable to take her cruise because the authorities at her port would not accept her birth certificate. The only way to be 100% sure is to have a valid passport with at least 6 months of validity.

Hank

Do you have any data that support your statement that "many cruisers have been denied boarding"? How do you define "many"? A certain percentage of passengers attempting to board cruise? Some absolute number. Anything besides anecdotal evidence? Does it happen at times? Sure. "Many" times? I'm not so sure.

What do you mean authorities are "fickle"? Isn't really more a case of passengers not knowing what an original or certified copy is?

FWIW, the news story on the recent case on HAL said it was a hospital birth certificate, not a government certified one.

And there's the distinct possibility the whole incident was staged for publicity purposes. The person is an "anti-illegal immigrant activist". She may have been trying to "prove" that our government makes it difficult for US citizens to travel abroad while not doing enough to prevent illegal immigrants from entering the country.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok... Just looking for some clarification here before It gets to close to my cruise... I am aware and plan on both my fiancee and I getting a passport prior to our cruise. What I am curious about is whether hers will still be valid if we marry on a Saturday and our cruise departs on a Sunday? If she and I both get passports prior to marriage, hers with her maiden name, will her passport cause issues on our cruise and ports? Should I copy our marriage licenses and bring it to present with the passports and Drivers licenses?

Or do we for-go the name change until after the cruise?

Thanks

Beachgoer007

Ok... Just looking for some clarification here before It gets to close to my cruise... 7

My wife and I were in the same situation; If you are getting married the day before departure there would be no way to get new ID.

The best thing to do is to have all the reservations in her maiden name; both cruise and air (if you're flying).

Then when y'all get back, she can go through the process of name changing (if she wants to.)

The good news is that the name change for the passport will be free because the name change occurred less than a year after getting the passport!

Congrats!

Aloha,

John

... What I am curious about is whether hers will still be valid if we marry on a Saturday and our cruise departs on a Sunday? If she and I both get passports prior to marriage, hers with her maiden name, will her passport cause issues on our cruise and ports? Should I copy our marriage licenses and bring it to present with the passports and Drivers licenses?

Or do we for-go the name change until after the cruise?

Thanks

Beachgoer007

As John said, the only trouble is if the passport is in a different name than the booking name. What is important here is that she is booked under the same name that will be on her ID and travel documents on the day you depart. Since you are marrying the day before, that means you must book her under her current name, not her married name. You will not have a certified copy of a marriage license until several weeks if not months after the marriage. Since both her DL and Passport will be in her maiden name, you must use that for the cruise booking and take care of the legal name change when you have all the documentation to accomplish that.