Passport Clarification Needed..

cruisin_fanatic

Yes, he knows this NOW! I thought he understood this because he always had it in his wallet before, but he changed to a new a wallet around that time and for some reason did not put the card in! Won't happen again that's for sure. :)

Good information on the Green Card, but you also mention a "6 month requirement"...presumably meaning that your passport must have 6 months validity remaining. That isn't true for the majority of destinations, it definitely isn't true for a Mexican Riviera cruise, nor is it required for a US citizen who is reentering the US. You only need a valid unexpired passport for a Mexican Riviera cruise.

Edited by njhorseman

I know this has been posted before...

This is from the Carnival website

(Italics and sentences in bold are mine.)

"If a cruise begins and ends in different U.S. ports, or begins and ends in a foreign port (such as our Alaska cruises and Hawaii cruises) a valid passport or other recognized WHTI-compliant document is required. A valid passport is required if you are traveling on any of our Europe cruises. Although a passport is not required for U.S. citizens taking cruises that both originate and terminate at the same U.S. port, we, again, strongly recommend all guests travel with a passport (valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel). Having a passport will enable guests to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port in the event they miss their scheduled embarkation or to fly back to the U.S. if they need to disembark the ship mid-cruise due to an emergency.

ALL guests need proper proof of citizenship in order to travel and failure to present a valid document at check in will result in denied boarding and no refund will be issued."

I have a copy of my birth certificate and driver's license which would be enough, but I decided to renew my passport as it expires in March and my cruise completes in October which is less than the 6 month requirement.

I know this has been posted before...

This is from the Carnival website

(Italics and sentences in bold are mine.)

"If a cruise begins and ends in different U.S. ports, or begins and ends in a foreign port (such as our Alaska cruises and Hawaii cruises) a valid passport or other recognized WHTI-compliant document is required. A valid passport is required if you are traveling on any of our Europe cruises. Although a passport is not required for U.S. citizens taking cruises that both originate and terminate at the same U.S. port, we, again, strongly recommend all guests travel with a passport (valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel). Having a passport will enable guests to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port in the event they miss their scheduled embarkation or to fly back to the U.S. if they need to disembark the ship mid-cruise due to an emergency.

ALL guests need proper proof of citizenship in order to travel and failure to present a valid document at check in will result in denied boarding and no refund will be issued."

I have a copy of my birth certificate and driver's license which would be enough, but I decided to renew my passport as it expires in March and my cruise completes in October which is less than the 6 month requirement.

Yes, that's a general recommendation. It covers the worst case scenario for all itineraries, but doesn't mean that on a particular itinerary 6 months remaining validity is required. Yours doesn't because neither Mexico nor the US require it.

Think about it... on an itinerary like yours, no passport is even required...you can cruise with a birth certificate and drivers license, so how can they require a passport with six months remaining validity? If you use a BC and drivers license, the drivers license doesn't need 6 months remaining validity.

Obviously there's nothing wrong with your renewing your passport before taking the cruise, but we shouldn't be misleading future readers of this thread that 6 months remaining validity is required for this particular itinerary. In fact it isn't required for any Western Hemisphere closed loop cruise itinerary that allows the use of a BC/Photo ID in lieu of a passport.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, that's a general recommendation. It covers the worst case scenario for all itineraries, but doesn't mean that on a particular itinerary 6 months remaining validity is required. Yours doesn't because neither Mexico nor the US require it.

Think about it... on an itinerary like yours, no passport is even required...you can cruise with a birth certificate and drivers license, so how can they require a passport with six months remaining validity? If you use a BC and drivers license, the drivers license doesn't need 6 months remaining validity.

Obviously there's nothing wrong with your renewing your passport before taking the cruise, but we shouldn't be misleading future readers of this thread that 6 months remaining validity is required for this particular itinerary. In fact it isn't required for any Western Hemisphere closed loop cruise itinerary that allows the use of a BC/Photo ID in lieu of a passport.

What you have posted is true but and a BIG but .... if the person were to be left behind at a foreign port they would not be able to FLY out of that country until they get a passport from the US consulate.

I am a firm believer in CYA. You never know what could happen. An accident getting caught in heavy traffic. Unless you are on a ship excursion the ship will leave without you.

So, yes you can cruise without a passport but that can be risky.

• 2 weeks later...

You do not need a passport if your cruise is what they call a round trip meaning you leave and return to the same port in the us but they do recommend having one anytime you leave the country and if there is any kind of emergency that you would need to leave the cruise early to say fly back to the states you can not do it without your passport

This issue just won't die, probably because newbies are asking for the first time.

For all the reasons posted here:

1) get a passport if you don't already have one, or

2) renew your passport if it won't have six months validity upon your return.

People spend thousands of dollars and months of time and anticpation for a voyage - only to risk it over convoluted rules where no passport or a close to expiring passport might be OK. Get one (or renew it) and have peace of mind.

Edited by mariepr

The quote originated with Louis Pasteur, but the movie you are thinking of was Under Siege 2. ;)

Ah yes, the movie with another of my favorite sayings....."Assumption is the mother of all f*#$ ups". Also appropriate in the instant thread. ;)

Now I gotta go get the movie -- really enjoyed Under Siege, didn't know there was a sequel.

if you are a Grey's Anatomy fan you will recognize a familiar face, though still a kid at the time of the movie. Actually there are a few then-future TV series stars on there.

Sorry everyone about the thread drift :o

We had to renew our passports for DH and me. Very quick turnaround.

Mailed - 8/23

My passport was issued 8/31 and received in mail 9/3.

DH issued 9/6, received 9/9.

Just a little FYI...

Kathy

Thanks for posting. It's always good to get a fresh data point for others who may need to know.

Theron

We had to renew our passports for DH and me. Very quick turnaround.

Mailed - 8/23

My passport was issued 8/31 and received in mail 9/3.

DH issued 9/6, received 9/9.

Just a little FYI...

Kathy

My experience was much the same. Less than three weeks turnaround. I was pleasantly surprised. :)

• 1 month later...

As I am getting married in November and sailing in early Jan, I am not sure that is time enough to wait for my certified marriage certificate, then mail it all off to get a new passport with my new name. Will I be able to board the ship in Miami with the old passport and my certified marriage certificate? OR other option, leave everything in my maiden name till we return....:(

thanks

Kathy

Kathy,

The slam dunk easiest way is to use your maiden name, nothing to explain or verify, no flags will be raised. People have been known to use the old passport with either the marriage license or a new driver license, but why create potential drama or worry about getting the right documents or creating question at all? You can always put Mr. and Mrs. on your stateroom name cards and introduce yourselves that way onboard.

One other option is to see if you can determine in advance how long it will take to get the certified marriage license issued and calculate how long you have for getting your passport renewed. Passports are pretty fast but in some states marriage licenses can take months to issue.

Thanks so much - I will call the county clerk tomorrow and inquire about times for that. We are a small county so thinking maybe not so long.

And I wondered if it would be easier to keep documents in maiden until we return but was not sure how to let the ship know otherwise -

Kathy

With current weather issues in the Caribbean, a Carnival ship had to depart early leaving passengers in Puerto Rico. Carnival stepped up to the plate and made 2 night hotel arrangements for the stranded passengers and offered to fly them to the next port. In order to fly to the next port (Barbados), you needed a passport. Only 50% of stranded passengers were able to join the ship at the next port.

Thank you, the issue is not that I don't have a passport, just it is not in my new married name and by the time we get married, there will not be time to get it. But I received a note from the passport center - see below. so it looks like as long as I have a certified copy of our marriage certificate, I will be good.

If time does not permit an update of your valid passport prior to your trip due

to a name change, you may travel on your passport in your current name along

with your marriage certificate, divorce decree or court ordered name change.

We advise you check with your airline or cruise line for their requirements. So, now I have to make sure Celebrity will let me on the ship with the same.

Thank you, the issue is not that I don't have a passport, just it is not in my new married name and by the time we get married, there will not be time to get it. But I received a note from the passport center - see below. so it looks like as long as I have a certified copy of our marriage certificate, I will be good.

If time does not permit an update of your valid passport prior to your trip due

to a name change, you may travel on your passport in your current name along

with your marriage certificate, divorce decree or court ordered name change.

We advise you check with your airline or cruise line for their requirements. So, now I have to make sure Celebrity will let me on the ship with the same.

This is just one of a hundred different reasons or situations for women to NOT to change their names when they get married. :rolleyes:

This is just one of a hundred different reasons or situations for women to NOT to change their names when they get married. :rolleyes:

... or at least wait until you come back from the honeymoon. You can still hold yourself out to the world as "Ms. NewLastName" if it is that important.

I understand in many countries that this may not be the tradition or even desired.

I got married at age 18 in 1973 and took my new husband's name and still have that name (we were married for over 36 years)

I am now marrying my high school sweetheart and first love (so like many young girls, practiced my signature of being Mrs. Mark Wilson during the 60's and early 70's) so now after all this time, it is coming true so yes, I do want to change my 'old' married name to my new one BUT I understand the need to take it slowly and do it right

Thanks for the input

Kathy:D

I understand in many countries that this may not be the tradition or even desired.

I got married at age 18 in 1973 and took my new husband's name and still have that name (we were married for over 36 years)

I am now marrying my high school sweetheart and first love (so like many young girls, practiced my signature of being Mrs. Mark Wilson during the 60's and early 70's) so now after all this time, it is coming true so yes, I do want to change my 'old' married name to my new one BUT I understand the need to take it slowly and do it right

Thanks for the input

Kathy:D

I only brought this up for purely objective reasons because of all the legal, administrative and identity hassles associated with such a name change. As for tradition, I'm not sure it's such a strong tradition in this country anymore either. My wife and her friends say, if no husband will change his surname when married, why should they? :) Edited by Terpnut

that is true, even my new husband said it does not matter to him but I think it is still a way to honor the marriage, even it you both hyphenate and show both families honor.

thanks again for the input - and much of it may be my age ----

Kathy:p