Passport Clarification Needed..

cruisin_fanatic

One last question (because I forgot this sister was born in England on a Military base so she is a US Citizen and had a US Passport), is her having a NON US BC a problem? I of course am encouraging her to get a passport which would alleviate all of our concerns!

One last question (because I forgot this sister was born in England on a Military base so she is a US Citizen and had a US Passport), is her having a NON US BC a problem? I of course am encouraging her to get a passport which would alleviate all of our concerns!

A non-US birth certificate is not acceptable, but in order to have gotten a US passport she must have an alternative document, perhaps a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (which is acceptable). Since I'm not familiar with the ways the military documents births on its bases abroad, I can't say if the documentation she has will suffice. I strongly recommend that she gets a passport in order to eliminate the chance of the documents she has not being accepted.

Subtle.

Please read my post again:

"Just to restate what has been said in several other ways but perhaps not too clearly..."

I did not say your post was not clear. It was the several posts together, some of which were more clear than others, and some which were not, which led me to see a benefit in restating it once again.

Theron

I suggest you reread the thread, and if you do, I hope you come to the realization that I was the only person who had responded to this poster's questions prior to your post. So it had to be my posts that you thought were unclear...and they are most assuredly are not, except perhaps to you...so the issue is yours, because the poster and I don't seem to be having any trouble communicating.

Edited by njhorseman

I suggest you reread the thread, and if you do, I hope you come to the realization that I was the only person who had responded to this poster's questions prior to your post. So it had to be my posts that you thought were unclear...and they are most assuredly are not, except perhaps to you...so the issue is yours, because the poster and I don't seem to be having any trouble communicating.

I think you were pretty clear about the intention to remain on the ship being irrelevant. Theron must have felt the need to reiterate this fact, but it didn't make your post any less clear.

I think you were pretty clear about the intention to remain on the ship being irrelevant. Theron must have felt the need to reiterate this fact, but it didn't make your post any less clear.

I don't see how it was less clear. Seems like the intention to be on the ship is irrelevant to the documents you need.

Maybe I'm confused.

• 1 month later...

Need to ask this question I's sure its somewhere in this multitude of post... OK I have lost weight and I am going to lose more so my picture on my passport will not look like me at all. What should I do?? I am not sailing until Jan. 2014!! Any takers on this one??:p

Need to ask this question I's sure its somewhere in this multitude of post... OK I have lost weight and I am going to lose more so my picture on my passport will not look like me at all. What should I do?? I am not sailing until Jan. 2014!! Any takers on this one??:p

If your appearance has changed that much you need to get a new passport with a current photo that reflects your actual current appearance. Here's what the State Department says:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/pptphotoreq/photofaq/photofaq_5291.html

Do I need to take a new photo if I recently dyed my hair a new color or grew a beard?

a:New photos are only required if your appearance has significantly changed from what is in your photo. Growing a beard or coloring your hair would not constitute a significant change. If you can still be identified from the photo in your current passport or visa application, you do not need to apply for a new passport or submit a new photo for your visa application. However, you may have to apply for a new passport or submit a new photo for your visa application if you have:

Undergone significant facial surgery or trauma

Added or removed numerous/large facial piercings or tattoos

Undergone a significant amount of weight loss or gain

Made a gender transition

Edited by njhorseman

My husband and I are leaving this weekend for a 7 day cruise. I got my passport, but when we realized how expensive it was, we decided he didn't need one :-) It is our belated honeymoon and we really don't have much time or the financial ability to travel a lot, so we would have spent nearly an extra 6oo dollars for this one trip. Hopefully, we don't miss our ship....otherwise, I will be coming home without a husband :-)

My husband and I are leaving this weekend for a 7 day cruise. I got my passport, but when we realized how expensive it was, we decided he didn't need one :-) It is our belated honeymoon and we really don't have much time or the financial ability to travel a lot, so we would have spent nearly an extra 6oo dollars for this one trip. Hopefully, we don't miss our ship....otherwise, I will be coming home without a husband :-)

How does a passport cost you $600?

US Passports for first time applicants are $135 each.

Suppose they were in a rush ... add expedited service @$60pp... we are up to $195.

Photos @$10... $205 total.

Overnight courier service.. @$12.85.. say $220 total.

Still not $600. Even one of those rip-off 3rd party passport sites that add on extra fees wouldn't get you to $600 (I hope).

Canadian passports aren't anywhere near $600 either.

Edited by dwjoe

Key points: Wife got passport. Husband did not. Decided they would not use passports in the future, but if they had both gotten them, THEN they WOULD HAVE spent nearly an extra 600 dollars for this one trip.

I interpret this to mean that they must have done all the extra cost add-ons for her passport, and if they had done the same for his, then all together, their expenses would have been "nearly 600 dollars."

Theron

Hmm, I was wondering if she meant one or two passports for $600.

If we're talking two passports, expedited, and with all the state dept add ons you're talking $440. Add some 3rd party passport site ripoff fees and yes, you could get to nearly $600.

Here are some links I posted in response to a thread where the OP got a 15 day turnaround, apparently with non-expedited service:

"I would surely not count on that great [15 day] turnaround if your cruise or any travel depended on it. For those who need more dependable turnaround there is: 1. A choice for expedited turnaround (pay more) or 2. Apply in person in certain cities (like Chicago for the Midwest).

More info on expedited: http://travel.state.gov/passport/hurry/hurry_831.html

Where there is a link to turnaround times, where the OP's time is about half of what they say it is: http://travel.state.gov/passport/pro...sing_1740.html

For in person applications, which I believe, but can not confirm, are same day turnaround: http://travel.state.gov/passport/npi...ncies_913.html "

My husband and I both have NY state enhanced DL. I was wondering if this would be ok for a Caribbean cruise or should we look into getting passports?:confused:

An enhanced DL will work, however, a passport is recommended for flexibility to fly internationally if something happens on your cruise.

Also check your cruise line's web site for any special ID requirements. Some lines are extra strict about requiring passports.

• 2 weeks later...

Save the money..if your cruise is a "closed" loop tour, goes and returns to the same US port...you just need Valid Id+B. Certificate. We have been on several cruises and never needed a passport. Yes, things can happen...but do you really want to spend all that money for what "might" happen?

My passport is 5 years old and I am smiling in it....I have heard they are not accepting smiling photos. Will I be OK?

If your photo was acceptable when your passport was issued, it's acceptable now. You only need to have a new passport issued with a new photo if you are not recognizable from your current photo for reasons such as the following:

Undergone significant facial surgery or trauma

Added or removed numerous/large facial piercings or tattoos

Undergone a significant amount of weight loss or gain

Made a gender transition

• 2 weeks later...

My passport has my first, middle and last name on it. My driver's license has my first name, maiden name initial, and last name. My cruise documents only have my first and last name. We are sailing RCI to the Western Caribbean. Will this be a problem? Wondered if I should get a separate photo id that has my name to match my passport. Thanks!

My passport has my first, middle and last name on it. My driver's license has my first name, maiden name initial, and last name. My cruise documents only have my first and last name. We are sailing RCI to the Western Caribbean. Will this be a problem? Wondered if I should get a separate photo id that has my name to match my passport. Thanks!

It's not a problem. The names on my passport and drivers license have never matched...I use my full middle name on my passport and just my middle initial on the DL. No one checks your passport against your DL. If you're using a passport no one will ask to see your DL.

The cruise line only cares about the first and last names on your reservation...that has to match the first and last names on your passport or DL. Middle name or initial doesn't matter.

Save the money..if your cruise is a "closed" loop tour, goes and returns to the same US port...you just need Valid Id+B. Certificate. We have been on several cruises and never needed a passport. Yes, things can happen...but do you really want to spend all that money for what "might" happen?

AGREED!!! We just got off a "closed loop" cruise out of New Orleans. We are a family of 4 and none of us have passports. We all used our birth certificates and driver's licenses. Not a problem at all! My husband's birth certificate is even all chewed up and they never batted an eye at it.

And as far as missing your ship in port... RELAX! It's just NOT going to happen. We even booked all our excursions online (not through the ship) and we never even came close to missing boarding time.

Our ship scans your boarding card as you get off AND as you get on. I imagine all lines do this. That way they know if someone is missing...

• 2 weeks later...
AGREED!!! We just got off a "closed loop" cruise out of New Orleans. We are a family of 4 and none of us have passports. We all used our birth certificates and driver's licenses. Not a problem at all! My husband's birth certificate is even all chewed up and they never batted an eye at it.

And as far as missing your ship in port... RELAX! It's just NOT going to happen. We even booked all our excursions online (not through the ship) and we never even came close to missing boarding time.

Our ship scans your boarding card as you get off AND as you get on. I imagine all lines do this. That way they know if someone is missing...

How good of you to guarantee that no one will miss their ship at a port of call. I guess all the reports, videos and utubes showing it happening were lies.

Yes, the ship will "...know if someone is missing..." I suppose that translates to their inability to cast off mooring lines.

Yes -- problems rarely happen, but haven't you sufficient imagination to conceive of a problem happening. But then -- surely your guarantee would apply to you too.

How good of you to guarantee that no one will miss their ship at a port of call. I guess all the reports, videos and utubes showing it happening were lies.

Yes, the ship will "...know if someone is missing..." I suppose that translates to their inability to cast off mooring lines.

Yes -- problems rarely happen, but haven't you sufficient imagination to conceive of a problem happening. But then -- surely your guarantee would apply to you too.

Clearly by your snippy undertones it is sufficiently clear to my imagination that someone needs a vacation...

I thought this poster was asking for opinions. Oops, my bad.

Have a nice day!