Passport Clarification Needed..

cruisin_fanatic

We are booked on a Royal Caribbean Cruise leaving this Sunday, Dec 14th. We are leaving HOME on Friday December 12 to drive to Florida from Illinois over two days.

We applied for passports in early Oct. The kids and I got new ones, but DH needed a replacement. His was two years old, but it had been accidentally put through the wash.

So four weeks after application the kids and I get our passports. DH gets a letter stating his picture is too old and he needs to send another. He used the second pic from his previous passport application, and the pic apparently needs to be less than 6 months old. Our oops. OK, no problem. He gets another pic taken and send it off the next day. This is in early November.

We are waiting here five weeks later and he still doesn't have his passport.

He has called a couple of times and they say they have everything, and his passport is in processing. If we wait and call 72 hours before we leave they might be able to do something about it.

So tomorrow morning is 72 hours before we leave home, but NOT 72 hours before we depart on the ship. We will see what they say tomorrow.

We would go with the birth certificate and ID route for him (we are leaving and returning to Ft. Lauderdale) but he doesn't have a regular birth certificate we can get easily. He was born in Germany to American parents (military) so he has a consular report of live birth rather than a State issued birth certificate. The passport office has his only copy, and the only way to get another copy is to request it through the passport office and wait.... 4-6 weeks!

So whats gonna happen? Has anyone dealt with this before? Any insight or ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!

Edie

We are booked on a Royal Caribbean Cruise leaving this Sunday, Dec 14th. We are leaving HOME on Friday December 12 to drive to Florida from Illinois over two days.

We applied for passports in early Oct. The kids and I got new ones, but DH needed a replacement. His was two years old, but it had been accidentally put through the wash.

So four weeks after application the kids and I get our passports. DH gets a letter stating his picture is too old and he needs to send another. He used the second pic from his previous passport application, and the pic apparently needs to be less than 6 months old. Our oops. OK, no problem. He gets another pic taken and send it off the next day. This is in early November.

He has called a couple of times and they say they have everything, and his passport is in processing. If we wait and call 72 hours before we leave they might be able to do something about it.

So tomorrow morning is 72 hours before we leave home, but NOT 72 hours before we depart on the ship. We will see what they say tomorrow.

We would go with the birth certificate and ID route for him (we are leaving and returning to Ft. Lauderdale) but he doesn't have a regular birth certificate we can get easily. He was born in Germany to American parents (military) so he has a consular report of live birth rather than a State issued birth certificate. The passport office has his only copy, and the only way to get another copy is to request it through the passport office and wait.... 4-6 weeks!

So whats gonna happen? Has anyone dealt with this before? Any insight or ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!

Edie

I wish you luck and hope the State department can come through for you. Without his passport or his original Consular Report of Birth Abroad he won't be able to board.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks!

Edie

I realise this is too late to help you but in cases like this your call your local congress member. The passport office has a special liason for the elected officials

• 1 month later...

I am in Australia am also confused about passports and visas. I have aust citizenship and British passport. Princess just notified changes due to no doubt the terrorist issue. They can't get bulk visa is this what they on about.I think it is and are refunding $20. What is this about

I saw on immigration site that without passport there is holdup (how long) at disembarking.

I am trying to contact immigration but difficult

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks!

Edie

Please tell us what happened? Did you get the passport? Were you allowed to board. Inquisitive minds want to know. :-)

Edited by ILUVCRUZEN

Just curious, are you a US citizen? I have never heard even one report of any US based cruise taking the passport of a US citizen. It is common for them to take and hold passports of non-US citizens, but never heard of it for US citizens.

Theron

Entirely depends on the cruise lines. All of the upscale and luxury lines holld passports for the duration, for all passengers no matter where you embark. This includes, Regent, Silversea, Seabourn, and Sea Dream.

• 3 weeks later...
I would not consider leaving the country even to run up to Windsor or Niagara falls without one, even for the 5-year-old

Does your state not have an enhanced driver's license? I thought all border states did.

Does your state not have an enhanced driver's license? I thought all border states did.

Vermont, New York, Washington State, Minnesota, Michigan and 4 Canadian provinces issue EDLs (not to be confused with REAL ID compliant drivers licenses). An EDL may be used in the same way a passport card may be used (land and sea ports of entry returning from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean).

A 5 year old may cross the land border with a birth certificate.

Vermont, New York, Washington State, Minnesota, Michigan and 4 Canadian provinces issue EDLs (not to be confused with REAL ID compliant drivers licenses). An EDL may be used in the same way a passport card may be used (land and sea ports of entry returning from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean).

A 5 year old may cross the land border with a birth certificate.

Interesting.... 13 states border Canada and 4 with Mexico yet only 5 states issue them.

I could have sworn Alaska has one as well, or maybe the border crossings just honor those from other states? I know we used it to get into the Yukon during one of our port visits in Skagway.

ETA: I just reread your post.... if they can be used the same as a passport card it obviously doesn't matter if that particular state has its own EDL. Another senior moment on my part :rolleyes:

Edited by vjmatty

Interesting.... 13 states border Canada and 4 with Mexico yet only 5 states issue them.

I could have sworn Alaska has one as well, or maybe the border crossings just honor those from other states? I know we used it to get into the Yukon during one of our port visits in Skagway.

ETA: I just reread your post.... if they can be used the same as a passport card it obviously doesn't matter if that particular state has its own EDL. Another senior moment on my part :rolleyes:

No worries, I've plenty of those myself:o. The EDLs and process have to be cleared by DHS and through written agreement with DHS and some states may not want to go through that process. I know that all Canadian provinces used to offer them but one province cancelled the program because there wasn't enough interest (which may also be why the other states haven't initiated programs). And yes, I can cross the border that is 8 miles from my house just as easily as any of the crossings across the country:).

Entirely depends on the cruise lines. All of the upscale and luxury lines hold passports for the duration, for all passengers no matter where you embark. This includes, Regent, Silversea, Seabourn, and Sea Dream.

Crystal is one of the lines that requires a passport for all cruises. They hold the passport only as long as necessary. We have had passports returned to us mid-cruise when no longer needed for immigration purposes.

To the best of my memory, we've also had passports returned prior to the disembarkation port by Silversea and Seabourn. The duration of the ship retaining passports is very port dependent.

Yes but it's not actually in the U.S.

You just replied to a post that was made more than 8 years ago...not to mention that what you said was of no value as it was irrelevant to the point the post was making.

Edited by njhorseman

Just returned from a closed loop cruise last week. Departed Ft. Lauderdale, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Haiti, returned to Ft. Lauderdale. We did NOT require passports. We did not even require birth certificates for the adults. Children under 16 only need BCs, adults only need government issued picture ID.

HOWEVER... Having a passport, or passport card, would have saved us an extra hour spent at the desk in customs. If you have time, shell out the extra cash and get a passport.

Just returned from a closed loop cruise last week. Departed Ft. Lauderdale, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Haiti, returned to Ft. Lauderdale. We did NOT require passports. We did not even require birth certificates for the adults. Children under 16 only need BCs, adults only need government issued picture ID.

HOWEVER... Having a passport, or passport card, would have saved us an extra hour spent at the desk in customs. If you have time, shell out the extra cash and get a passport.

Don't know how you can say that birth certicates weren't needed, unless the adults were using enhanced drivers licenses. Passengers have to show proof of citizenship and proof of identity. I've never been slowed down in Customs from using a birth certificate/photo ID but it does happen.

Under DHS rules you had to have some proof of citizenship, whether a birth certificate, enhanced drivers license, NEXUS card, passport card, passport or other WHTI-compliant document.

If you didn't present proof of citizenship when boarding the cruise and were allowed on board the person who checked you in made a major error. That might explain the extra hour you were required to spend clearing customs/immigration upon your return.

Anyone who reads your story and then decides they don't need proper proof of citizenship is almost surely going to get turned away at embarkation...so my advice to anyone reading this thread is very simply to ignore your story.

Edited by njhorseman

Under DHS rules you had to have some proof of citizenship, whether a birth certificate, enhanced drivers license, NEXUS card, passport card, passport or other WHTI-compliant document.

If you didn't present proof of citizenship when boarding the cruise and were allowed on board the person who checked you in made a major error. That might explain the extra hour you were required to spend clearing customs/immigration upon your return.

Anyone who reads your story and then decides they don't need proper proof of citizenship is almost surely going to get turned away at embarkation...so my advice to anyone reading this thread is very simply to ignore your story.

Sorry - that's just the way it is. We had the BCs, but both leaving and returning, we tried to present them at customs and we were told "Only photo ID, please." We have Ohio licenses, and I don't think that they are special in any way. (Of course, you have to present a BC to get a license in Ohio.)

My final advice, though, is save yourself the worry and get a passport.

Edited by Kowale