Thinking of Making a Change on our Upcoming Noordam cruise to Alaska

LAFFNVEGAS

Should Lisa Call her TA and lower her category to a SY?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Should Lisa Call her TA and lower her category to a SY?

• No, Pay the big price because that is what you really wanted
    • Yes, The amenities are not worth that much and a SY cabin is great
    • Wait & see,they maybe blocking S Suite cabins & they will suddenly open up and drop the price

I am thinking about calling my TA tomorrow to change our cabin category for our upcoming Noordam cruise in June but not upgrading:o

Let me tell you a little back ground, first off as many know I love the corner aft cabin on Deck 5 of the Vista Class ships. I even had the Hotel Manager on the Noordam get me pictures of 5191 to see if the cabin was the same as our favorite 5187 on the Oosterdam. Other than the verandah being just a bit smaller it is exactly the same. We were thrill last September when we were able to book 5191 for Alaska but shocked with a price tag of $6400 for just a 7 day cruise. I really wanted to experience this cabin on the Noordam. I was confident that those price would come down and just booked it. Now bear in mind this price is $2200 more than we paid for our S Suite this past year on the Ryndam and a cabin across the hall from the Neptune.

For the past 4 months I watch weekly to see if the prices drop instead they went up then all the SA, SB and SC cabins were gone. So now my hopes for the price to drop obviously will not happen. Now it is not that I cannot afford this cabin but I will say car sales and my income has taken a big hit, much worse than in the last precious 4 yrs. Also I have had my eye on the SY cabins, other than not having the seperate dressing area this cabin is pretty close to the same size that 5191 is in sq ft. Also I realize that I would not have the Suite amenities or the Suite Luncheon the DH loves. but they still have these cabins available and it looks like I could get this cabin for about $1600 to $1800 less money. Also just to make a note here, right after we booked this cruise HAL had an offer for a free night pre cruise stay at the Fairmont in Seattle for categories SA,SB,SC, SS and SY. We do have this and I had spoke with my TA a few months ago and asked if we did go to a SS or SY would we still get this free hotel stay and she thought we would.

In all the 5 times we have been on a Vista Class ship 2 times were in a BB 2 times (now called VD) and a SA ccategory once then twice in our SC 5187 we have never been in a SS or SY. I am thinking we will be just as happy in the SY and saving at least $1600. I already told Tom the day of the Suite Luncheon we will just go to the Pinacle for lunch that will only cost $20 plus the cost of a couple Henkle Sparkling Wines;)

I would just like some opinions, I am thinking I better move on this quickly because contrary to what I orignally thought those DAM ships are filling up fast.:eek:

Lisa:

Another thing to consider on that cruise - there's a group scheduled to be onboard, affiliated with a "physic medium" named Sylvia Browne, I think. The Noordam is a "dam" popular ship, and all her Seattle departures are going to go out full, full, full. Just my two cents. Good luck to you!

Karin

Lisa: I think you would like the SY cabin. We were very impressed with the SS cabin we had on the Noordam. The SY is the same size and amenities as an SS, just on a different deck/location. You probably already have seen the layout of the SY so I won't bore you with the details. $1600 can go a long way on another Oosterdam cruise next season! So, my vote is to take the SY and pocket the $1600! :)

Lisa: I think you would like the SY cabin. We were very impressed with the SS cabin we had on the Noordam. The SY is the same size and amenities as an SS, just on a different deck/location. You probably already have seen the layout of the SY so I won't bore you with the details. $1600 can go a long way on another Oosterdam cruise next season! So, my vote is to take the SY and pocket the $1600! :)

Lisa, is this 6400 each?

I have just done a conversion to NZD and it was $9244.58, almost 10K for seven days. Holy Moly I could think of a few other superlatives also, beginning with s.................. and ............................

That to my mind is quite frankly absurd, we would have to add airfares to that at about $NZ2400 each!!! Then there would be pre cruise and post cruise accommodation, we would be looking at $NZD26,000 shall we say for a 10 day holiday :eek:

Val, you crack me up, if we are ever on a cruise together the first drink's on me:)

Actually the $6400 is total for 7 days, but what is amazing is we only paid $5800 total for a 10 day that was over a holiday this past November.

In all honestly I am really leaning toward the SY, there are some good cabin locations available. It is just that I really wanted to be in that corner aft for Alaska but I just do not think that the difference in cost is worth the money. Especially since we are only paying $3100 for the same cabin location on the Oosterdam in March, granted it is Mexico not Alaska but more than double for Alaska. Something is just wrong with the picture. Also note that even the Oosterdam is the same price for the same categories. I guess HAL is just taking the chance to make money while they can, since Alaska is a distination in demand. I cannot blame them, you have to make hay while the sun is shining;) It is just that this mule has been there done that already:o

How did you find out about the group? Is there another site to find out about groups booked on cruises?

Thanks

Nan

Nan:

I've learned to just google Holland America, plus the name of the ship (in this case, Noordam), plus the dates of the cruise, including the year, and hey presto, you gain access to info about any groups who are booked on your cruise. You may have to wade through a page or two, but it usually works pretty well.

Karin

Sorry, Lisa, to digress from the topic at hand.

You said you had an SS cabin on the Noordam. My husband and I have a guarantee on one on the Noordam for the April 21 Panama Canal cruise. I was wondering how quiet they are since they are underneath the Lido. Did you have any noise issues?

Thanks for any info.

St. Louis Sal

Lisa, I know how much you enjoy your aft cabin on the Vista ships but given the price and the savings you'd get, I'd take the SY personally. I'm sure you will enjoy it just as much, particularily if you can get a cabin location that you're happy with and $1600 in your pocket!

I noticed when we booked our trip on the Zuiderdam for this September that the prices are much higher this year. I could get an SS suite in Mexico on the Oosterdam for what I am paying for a VF in Alaska...

Val, you crack me up, if we are ever on a cruise together the first drink's on me:)

Actually the $6400 is total for 7 days, but what is amazing is we only paid $5800 total for a 10 day that was over a holiday this past November.

In all honestly I am really leaning toward the SY, there are some good cabin locations available. It is just that I really wanted to be in that corner aft for Alaska but I just do not think that the difference in cost is worth the money. Especially since we are only paying $3100 for the same cabin location on the Oosterdam in March, granted it is Mexico not Alaska but more than double for Alaska. Something is just wrong with the picture. Also note that even the Oosterdam is the same price for the same categories. I guess HAL is just taking the chance to make money while they can, since Alaska is a distination in demand. I cannot blame them, you have to make hay while the sun is shining;) It is just that this mule has been there done that already:o

Blimey Lisa, you mean we can do it, only gonna cost us just of NZD16 grand, by golly thats real cheap :rolleyes:

We paid just over $US3000 for our Statendam Alaskan cruise last year for a verandah cabin and that was just fine. Even managed to find a few Kiwis and throw a bit of a party.

Don't worry about you buying the first drink friend, with the exchange rate you gonna have to buy me more than the first drink. Why don't you cancel Alaska and come on the New England one with us in Sept. Mind you I still got to convince "Old misery guts" that he really wants to go to sea again. :D

Sal: we had cabin 8038 on the Noordam. It is the most forward SS cabin on the port side. I chose this cabin to mimize hearing noise from the Lido deck above. We only heard noise twice in 16 days, early morning, around 6am or so, but it was so insignificant, we did not consider it a problem.

I hope you will like the Noordam-she is a beautiful ship! We felt the SS cabin was so close to being a Deluxe Verandah Suite without the extra cost, that we would be happy with any Superior Verandah Suite cabin on a Vista ship in the future.

I would definetly take the SS. I think for 7 days the differece in price is not worth the benefits. I booked an SZ gaurentee in December and ended up with SS 8050 on the Noordam. The cabin was certainly big enough and the location mid ship was ideal.

I'm going to Alaska on the Noordam and had originally booked a VF. After having the SS I changed my reservation to a SZ gaurentee for a difference of only $150 per person!!!! To me the bigger cabin/balcony are definetly worth that little bit of money.

Saludos

Lisa,

You guided me through on this last September. I hope i can return the favor. Why not chance an SS guarantee, then it's possible you could get bumped back up to a full suite again like we did. I know it's a gamble but you'd keep the hotel room like we did and the least that could happen is that you'd have an SS. If you remember we downgraded from a booked SA to an Sz guarantee and got 5186. I agree that $6400 is way too much for 7 days, even in Alaska. I'd be in the same dilemna as you are but I'd take the SS or Sy but chance a guarantee.

Thanks again, I hope it works out for you as it did for us.

Love,

GN

Lisa, HAL is charging these prices because they can. As someone else pointed out, Alaska cruises are in high demand and the ships are going out full.

Have you checked prices for a different date? Maybe earlier or later the prices aren't so stratospheric. I haven't looked at the Alaska brochure lately, but have you checked prices for an S cabin on the R/S class ships sailing that itinerary? You might find something more to your liking there.

Ultimately the choices is yours. I know we could cruise more if we hadn't become hooked on those S cabins and their amenities.

I am thinking about calling my TA tomorrow to change our cabin category for our upcoming Noordam cruise in June but not upgrading:o

Let me tell you a little back ground, first off as many know I love the corner aft cabin on Deck 5 of the Vista Class ships. I even had the Hotel Manager on the Noordam get me pictures of 5191 to see if the cabin was the same as our favorite 5187 on the Oosterdam. Other than the verandah being just a bit smaller it is exactly the same. We were thrill last September when we were able to book 5191 for Alaska but shocked with a price tag of $6400 for just a 7 day cruise. I really wanted to experience this cabin on the Noordam. I was confident that those price would come down and just booked it. Now bear in mind this price is $2200 more than we paid for our S Suite this past year on the Ryndam and a cabin across the hall from the Neptune.

For the past 4 months I watch weekly to see if the prices drop instead they went up then all the SA, SB and SC cabins were gone. So now my hopes for the price to drop obviously will not happen. Now it is not that I cannot afford this cabin but I will say car sales and my income has taken a big hit, much worse than in the last precious 4 yrs. Also I have had my eye on the SY cabins, other than not having the seperate dressing area this cabin is pretty close to the same size that 5191 is in sq ft. Also I realize that I would not have the Suite amenities or the Suite Luncheon the DH loves. but they still have these cabins available and it looks like I could get this cabin for about $1600 to $1800 less money. Also just to make a note here, right after we booked this cruise HAL had an offer for a free night pre cruise stay at the Fairmont in Seattle for categories SA,SB,SC, SS and SY. We do have this and I had spoke with my TA a few months ago and asked if we did go to a SS or SY would we still get this free hotel stay and she thought we would.

In all the 5 times we have been on a Vista Class ship 2 times were in a BB 2 times (now called VD) and a SA ccategory once then twice in our SC 5187 we have never been in a SS or SY. I am thinking we will be just as happy in the SY and saving at least $1600. I already told Tom the day of the Suite Luncheon we will just go to the Pinacle for lunch that will only cost $20 plus the cost of a couple Henkle Sparkling Wines;)

I would just like some opinions, I am thinking I better move on this quickly because contrary to what I orignally thought those DAM ships are filling up fast.:eek:

Lisa, what did you decide to do? Personally I'd probably rebook, thats a big difference in price for a 7 day cruise. Also $1600-$1800 is usually more than what our final room bill is for the week so if you've already committed to that amount then your total cost for the cruise is covered except airfare of course. I guess the only other thing I'd check was the room at the Fairmont prior to sailing to make sure you wont lose that as the rooms there are about $300 per night arent they? Good luck, let us know what you decide to do.

Archived