Thinking of Making a Change on our Upcoming Noordam cruise to Alaska

LAFFNVEGAS

Should Lisa Call her TA and lower her category to a SY?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Should Lisa Call her TA and lower her category to a SY?

• No, Pay the big price because that is what you really wanted
    • Yes, The amenities are not worth that much and a SY cabin is great
    • Wait & see,they maybe blocking S Suite cabins & they will suddenly open up and drop the price

DH and I have decided on getting a SY Guarantee and we are waiting on what my TA has to say with the pricing. We will take our chances on seeing what cabin we end up with (thanks grannynurse;) ) Right now I am waiting to see what our TA says about cost and a few other things like the free Pre cruise stay we have in Seattle for the Fairmont that was part of a promotion last year.

Some have mentioned about changing dates and or ships, here is my reasoning for not changing. 1. we have been to Alaska 2 times now both in the month of May, we really want to try going later in the season. We want to see the salmon run as well as the week we are going is the week of solstice the longest day of the year. 2. we booked this while we were on the Veendam so we would loose our ship board credit although I do know that instead of the $100 = $50 PP it will go down to $70 = $35 PP 3. both DH and I have already put in for our vacation time, while mine could be changed he cannot change his once he puts in for it. Also I am limited to dates in the month I can be gone so that makes it a bit harder.

When I called my TA I was prepared with pricing from numerous web sites (thanks to those who emailed me:) ) so we will now see what she comes up with. I will keep you posted.

Ok, for those wondering what we did.......

We did change categories, we are now SY Guarantee. Here is what happened. Our TA called up HAL of course you know they were not thrilled that we were going down in our booking and first claimed we would loose the promotion of the free hotel stay at the Olympic Fairmont and our shipboard credit. After some talking with HAL they were able to save the free night's stay at the Fairmont but we did loose our ship board credit which I am not happy about:( HAL tried to get my TA to take an assigned cabin but we decided that we would not mind any of the SY locations or the SS so we thought it was worth the risk because who knows we could get lucky and get a S. We have never had a visit from the Upgrade Fairy so I thought I would take a chance to see if she really does exist but we are definitely not counting on it. As for pricing I was not happy with the price my TA came back with and so she has sent in a request to her management to match a couple of other web site prices. Because her management is in the middle of a big Travel Fair this weekend she said she might not hear till the end of the week. With all the cruises I have booked thru this TA I am confident she will come thru. If not because it is a guarantee I will just contact one of the on-line agencies and have the booking transferred. I have nothing to loose since it is a guarantee and we are more than 2 months from final payment. Right now it looks like the savings should be about $1740 if my TA gets the pricing I think she will.

Lisa,

Your experience seems to mirror ours except in two areas. There was a Mariner promo for an SZ guarantee for $1799 pp. So the cabin categories differ and the Mariner promo was in effect ...and it was the last cruise of the season to Alaska. They tried to reneg on our room at the Fairmont too but gave it to us in the end plus transfers.

Keep the faith, especially around the time from final payment to cabin assignment...but there are only 2 SZs and there are alot of SYs. However with our table mates, both couples were also bumped up to S suites from SYs.

I'll hang in there with you.

GN

Ok, for those wondering what we did.......

We did change categories, we are now SY Guarantee. Here is what happened. Our TA called up HAL of course you know they were not thrilled that we were going down in our booking and first claimed we would loose the promotion of the free hotel stay at the Olympic Fairmont and our shipboard credit. After some talking with HAL they were able to save the free night's stay at the Fairmont but we did loose our ship board credit which I am not happy about:( HAL tried to get my TA to take an assigned cabin but we decided that we would not mind any of the SY locations or the SS so we thought it was worth the risk because who knows we could get lucky and get a S. We have never had a visit from the Upgrade Fairy so I thought I would take a chance to see if she really does exist but we are definitely not counting on it. As for pricing I was not happy with the price my TA came back with and so she has sent in a request to her management to match a couple of other web site prices. Because her management is in the middle of a big Travel Fair this weekend she said she might not hear till the end of the week. With all the cruises I have booked thru this TA I am confident she will come thru. If not because it is a guarantee I will just contact one of the on-line agencies and have the booking transferred. I have nothing to loose since it is a guarantee and we are more than 2 months from final payment. Right now it looks like the savings should be about $1740 if my TA gets the pricing I think she will.

As we have an assigned room for our Oosterdam cruise I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that the upgrade fairy pays you a visit! :)

I have a question since you've been to Alaska twice, we've booked an aft VA for us and my inlaws for our next trip but I've had lots of people telling me an aft veranda is a mistake for Alaska, what do you think?

As we have an assigned room for our Oosterdam cruise I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that the upgrade fairy pays you a visit! :)

I have a question since you've been to Alaska twice, we've booked an aft VA for us and my inlaws for our next trip but I've had lots of people telling me an aft veranda is a mistake for Alaska, what do you think?

Frank, in the two times we went to Alaska both were midship cabins on the Starboard side but we thought having the corner aft cabin would have been wonderful. To me I would think it would actually be better while you see something after everyone else you also have the opportunity to view both side. I will say though that when we were at the glacier both Hubbard and Glacier Bay we went out to the bow of the ship even though we had a large verandah. To me the view was better and that was where all the action was;) Fortunately we stayed out on the bow for the first couple of hours then when they turned the ship around we went back to the cabin and had a great repeat view:)

Lisa,

What is the price difference between what your TA quoted you and what the online agency has quoted?

Hi Kim, actually I have found 4 different prices, the lowest is $680 cheaper and 2 were about $340 cheaper than my TA quoted and one was exactly the same. I would be happy with the one that is $340 cheaper, that would still give my TA some commission. I honestly think that is the one she will match as well. As long as she does this the cabin will be almost $1800 less than what we were to pay for our SC cabin. That right there will pay for our 4 day repo cruise on the Ryndam in October. :)

Lisa,

I would definitely change to the SY. $1800 is a lot to save - it is just on $2300Aud. We paid that amount per person for a big mini suite and 9 days great cruising on the Pacific Princess last week - so I know what one can get for that amount of money.

I would use it as a deposit for your next cruise and enjoy your time in Alaska minus the Suite dinner and the perks including the Neptune Lounge. After all 7days does go by very quickly and you are on land quite a bit. It it were a 14 day or longer cruise, I would say stay with the original suite you booked.

Jennie

Good move, LIsa! This way, you can still go see the onboard psychic "I see dead people":eek:

You know John, I thought about contacting them and asking them what to do but then I thought they might not tell me the truth because one of them might be on the wait list to pay too much for my corner aft cabin;) I guess I could contact them to see what cabin I will be assigned:D

It could be an interesting cruise maybe some have seen visions of where we will see whales and bears. I am also thinking that it has be be a great cruise because they already had the vision to choose this week:)

It could be an interesting cruise maybe some have seen visions of where we will see whales and bears. I am also thinking that it has be be a great cruise because they already had the vision to choose this week:)

Jimmy Fortune (formerly of the Statler Brothers) will also be on your cruise, along with a group from the Traveling Troubador.......maybe that's why the cabins are so expensive; EVERYBODY'S going on the Noordam this summer!:)

Karin

Oh this should be an entertaining cruise:D

Karin actually the whole season's prices are drastically higher. I think those bean counters in Seattle are actually pretty smart, they figured they would throw out those prices and see if people will bite on them. Not only did they bite they devoured. I guess in some ways I should be thrilled it does help my CCL stock that has been coming up nicely:)

I messed up my vote, Lisa! I clicked on "no" meaning "no, don't pay the big bucks". Then I saw it was "yes don't pay the big bucks"

So my real vote is to lower the category, but I'm so late with my opinion you've probably already decided.

My feeling always is it's not whether you can afford it or not, but that money can go towards another cruise. That would be my choice.:)

Heather you are too funny:) Just say Molly voted for you and her paw went in the wrong place;) Actually we have already changed to a SY Guarantee. Which is truly a first for us. Since we started cruising HAL we have only had a S or a V category on Vista Class ships never that middle one. We decided that that corner aft cabin is much smaller and actually about the same size as a SY/SS cabin any way except without the dressing area. We just could not see spending that much money. Now we are just waiting to see what for sure the price will end up being from our TA.

Nan:

I've learned to just google Holland America, plus the name of the ship (in this case, Noordam), plus the dates of the cruise, including the year, and hey presto, you gain access to info about any groups who are booked on your cruise. You may have to wade through a page or two, but it usually works pretty well.

Karin

Sorry, Lisa, to digress from the topic at hand.

I'm going to try googling June 23, 2007, Maasdam and see if the group cruise we are supposed to be having from CC will show up.

Do all groups, big or small, appear?

Lisa....... Trust your instinct, IMO

If you are having second thoughts about the Aft cabin, give the SS a try. They are VERY nice cabins. You know you'll have a great time no matter which cabin you are in. Noordam is such a fantastic ship, you'll be so happy to be aboard, Suite Lunch (which we, once again, missed) will be compensated for to please Tom.

Let us know what you decide.

Archived