Print Your OWN Luggage Tags?

Us2inFL

I received this email from NCL for our upcoming Pearl cruise in March:

"Please take a moment to print and review your cruise itinerary and other important information in the attached electronic documents (eDocs). Kindly bring this documentation with you, as you will need to present it at the pier during embarkation. You will also find a luggage tag template within the attached documents. Please print one tag for each bag, and write in all relevant information, including name and home address, before attaching it to the bag."

It seems they're asking me to affix a copypaper luggage tag held together with a staple and they're calling that acceptable.

Does NCL still send out documents in a clear plastic folder, with heavy, adhesive backed luggage tags?

It sounds like you're getting e-docs, which are just as good as paper docs. Yes, you can print your luggage tags and do them yourself. Some people print them on heavier than normal paper, some people use clear packing tape to make them stronger, and you can also print them on Avery labels, using them like the old fashioned tags. If you would rather use NCL's blank tags you can pick those up at the pier on the day of your cruise. All you need to do is write your name and cabin number on them. Have a great cruise. :)

I like to print up a sheet of Avery labels with our personal info, and I make the name, ship, and cabin number large and bold. At the pier, the porter has tags and we just stick a label on the tags. Actually, when we did this, the porter really liked it too.

Those are edocs. Most cruiselines are moving towards this type of documentation. You can replace those tags at the pier with the regular luggage tags if you want. You will not get any additional docs from NCL. Be sure to register online before you travel.

We've used the print-your-own tags. Follow the instructions and they are really sturdy.

The standard issue e-doc tags (which I just received) call for folding the sides of the page the tag is printed back behind the front, so you end up piece of narrow paper that is about 5" x 11". That is then folded around the luggage handle and stapled at the bottom to hold it together.

I must admit I had somewhat the same reaction to this as US2inFL. Given how cruise luggage is handled after you give it to the porter (thrown onto a pile on his cart, then heaved (sometimes by conveyors) onto much larger piles of baggage that is moved in stacks (sometimes 6+ feet high) onto the ship, a stapled piece of paper doesn't seem very robust.

Also, given how our upcoming cruise itinerary works, I won't be able to attach the tags until we leave our NYC hotel the morning of the cruise, which means I either have to bring a stapler along on the trip or will have to go searching for a stapler during check out (both minor but annoying pains).

Has anyone who used e docs ever had any problems with the tag getting torn off in this process?

You can request "hard docs" from NCL and they will include your Shore Excurisons booklet and luggage tags. Princess does edocs but 6 weeks prior they send out your SE booklet, luggage tags and Info booklet. Much better procedure.

Actually, it works very well: you fold the paper like Origami and it's comes out better than the old-fashioned tags you used to receive in the mail. I've used them on four cruises now, with an extended family of five, and not one tag has been ripped off and not one bag has been missing.

Actually, it works very well: you fold the paper like Origami and it's comes out better than the old-fashioned tags you used to receive in the mail. I've used them on four cruises now, with an extended family of five, and not one tag has been ripped off and not one bag has been missing.

On the other hand, we had one of four rip off. Fortunately, NCL checked the name tag on the suitcase against the pax listing and had to our cabin in due time.

Next time I will get tags from a porter too.

We had 20 pieces of luggage in our group and each one of the tags stayed on. I had bought a small travel stapler before we left and we tagged the bags at the hotel in the morning we got on the ship. By the time you fold the paper all that they tell you to it is a thick tag, about 6 sheets thick. I was hesitant at first also, but we had no problems.

We had 20 pieces of luggage in our group and each one of the tags stayed on. I had bought a small travel stapler before we left and we tagged the bags at the hotel in the morning we got on the ship. By the time you fold the paper all that they tell you to it is a thick tag, about 6 sheets thick. I was hesitant at first also, but we had no problems.

O.K., I just test printed one of my edoc tags and followed the "assembly" instructions (turn the tag page face down, fold in each long side on the dotted line, fold in middle so printed side faces out, then wrap around luggage handle and staple).

A few observations:

If you follow these directions literally and staple the tag right where the form indicates (at the "staple here" mark), the staple goes through just two sheets of paper, not six. That's hardly a robust connection.

You can make the whole tag much tougher by also putting a staple about an inch away from the "staple here" mark on each side; those staples are going through four sheets and will be much harder to tear.

Frankly, even with that improvement and the endorsements here, based on CPT Trips experience, I'm paranoid enough to probably end up printing these out, filling in the name and address info, then laminating them in plastic and using a grommet and string to attach them to our bags.

Ergo, turn them into REAL luggage tags (I don't want to slow us down at the pier by having to fill out ones we get from Porters).

O.K., I just test printed one of my edoc tags and followed the "assembly" instructions (turn the tag page face down, fold in each long side on the dotted line, fold in middle so printed side faces out, then wrap around luggage handle and staple).

A few observations:

If you follow these directions literally and staple the tag right where the form indicates (at the "staple here" mark), the staple goes through just two sheets of paper, not six. That's hardly a robust connection.

You can make the whole tag much tougher by also putting a staple about an inch away from the "staple here" mark on each side; those staples are going through four sheets and will be much harder to tear.

Frankly, even with that improvement and the endorsements here, based on CPT Trips experience, I'm paranoid enough to probably end up printing these out, filling in the name and address info, then laminating them in plastic and using a grommet and string to attach them to our bags.

Ergo, turn them into REAL luggage tags (I don't want to slow us down at the pier by having to fill out ones we get from Porters).

I don’t believe you followed all the instructions. You lay it face down and fold each side in at the dotted line. Then you fold each side in again to the edge of the printed part where it also says fold here. That makes two folds on each side. You now have five thickness of paper. When you fold the middle to bring both ends together, you now have ten thickness of paper. At least I did.

BTW, after the first four folds, I put a piece of tape down the back seam to keep it from unfolding. It makes it very strong.

I don’t believe you followed all the instructions. You lay it face down and fold each side in at the dotted line. Then you fold each side in again to the edge of the printed part where it also says fold here. That makes two folds on each side. You now have five thickness of paper. When you fold the middle to bring both ends together, you now have ten thickness of paper. At least I did.

BTW, after the first four folds, I put a piece of tape down the back seam to keep it from unfolding. It makes it very strong.

After doing all that, I would undoubtedly NEED a cruise!!!:) :rolleyes:

I also usually put scotch tape across the printed info, just in case it's raining, I don't want the ink to run. I also use scotch tape rather than a stapler. Just wrap pieces of tape around the folded tags. You can even keep wrapping them in tape all the way up to the handle of the luggage. Very secure.

Never had a problem.

When I cruised in November I printed the tags and covered the back with duct tape and then before I got on the ship I put them on the luggage and taped them closed. They were fine.

I love this idea!

I'm going to try this.

Actually, it appears that you did not follow all the instructions . . . you folded on a solid line to make the second set of folds. The instructions, that follow, only have long side one fold.

1. Please remember to fill in your name and home address on the tag before attaching to your luggage.

2. Turn paper face down and fold in at the dotted line.

3. Wrap tag around the handle of each bag you intend to check (Printed side out).

4. Make sure both ends of the tag meet evenly and staple together at 'staple here'.

Actually, it appears that you did not follow all the instructions . . . you folded on a solid line to make the second set of folds. The instructions, that follow, only have long side one fold.

1. Please remember to fill in your name and home address on the tag before attaching to your luggage.

2. Turn paper face down and fold in at the dotted line.

3. Wrap tag around the handle of each bag you intend to check (Printed side out).

4. Make sure both ends of the tag meet evenly and staple together at 'staple here'.

That solid line also has the words, Fold Here, meaning to make a second fold on each side. If you do that, it makes a very strong tag.

Archived