Advance bag check in

cbabe

Just so you are aware, there is a charge for this service. We paid $10 pp on the Serenade in San Juan, but I have read here that on some ships and ports it is $15 or $20 pp. I would think that AOS would be $10, same as Serenade. It is definitely worth the money!

I'm sailing on the AOS in May. Can someone give a little more detail

on this process. Is this available if you didn't book your air with RCCL.

If that is possible when we return to San Juan our flight isn't until 6:00 pm. We would like to hangout in town for a while and not have to drag our luggage around. How can they take your bags to the airport without you being in custody of them. I don't think they offered this on or last cruise.

Thanks for all your help. :confused: :rolleyes: :cool:

I have a questions as well. You know how you are charged a fee by the airline if your bags are over the 50lb limit? Would you still have to pay for over weight luggage if you use this service?

Hadn't thought of that one, that's a good question, anybody know?

Bob Kriwitsky: Advance bag check in is a service offered by American Airlines, not the cruiseline., so it doesn't matter how you booked your cruise. Our flight doesn't leave until 5:30pm, so I'm happy, not to have to drag around our bags. Like Rala said, they charge $10pp, which I think is well worth it.

It was $10.00 per person in San Juan and well worth the money. We spent a few hours walking around in San Juan. The only issue was my teen had brought her laptop and whined the whole time about carrying it. Next cruise I will make sure she has a rolling tote.

I would think if your luggage were a tiny bit overweight, you might get away with it, but otherwise I don't think you would. There is an airline rep there and I would think, not sure though, that if the luggage were overweight that something would be done.

When the luggage is off-loaded from the ship it is checked by the dogs for explosives and drugs. That's how the airlines are able to allow you to check your bags without being at the airport.

To use this service you have to have your flight number etc. and the flight has to be after a certain time. I can't remember if it's noon or later or 1 or later. Sorry. It is in the information given to you by the cruisline while on board though. It's also only for flights leaving by a certain time (6PM?) and only within the US.

If you sign up for this service, you are given boarding passes and luggage tags from the airline. After going thru customs, you just take your luggage to the airline person and then you don't see it until you get to your final destination.

It's a great service and it makes going to the SJU airport so much easier. Be sure to have TSA locks on your luggage as many people have reported things going missing at that airport. Personally, I have had things missing as well as a friend who had all her shoes stolen.

Katie

To use this service you have to have your flight number etc. and the flight has to be after a certain time. I can't remember if it's noon or later or 1 or later. Sorry. It is in the information given to you by the cruisline while on board though. It's also only for flights leaving by a certain time (6PM?) and only within the US.

Your flight has to be before midnight that night, not 6pm.

I would think if your luggage were a tiny bit overweight, you might get away with it, but otherwise I don't think you would. There is an airline rep there and I would think, not sure though, that if the luggage were overweight that something would be done

My thought is that they take these bags from you the night before you leave. So if they weigh them and they are more than 50lbs when do they collect the money from you.

I'm not trying to get away with anything. Just trying to figure out if I still need to make sure to distribute the weight properly when I'm packing up to come home. Always seems that one bag is 10lbs over the limit.

You pay at the purser's desk a couple of days before debarkation. The fee goes on your SeaPass card. They do take your luggage the night before, but you still have to claim it in the terminal and go to the airline agent at the terminal to hand it over to him. I can't remember if they weighed the luggage right there or not, but I am sure they have a way to "contact" you if your luggage is overweight!

JIMBUG.....I am pretty sure that Delta DID have this service in San Juan, but I am not absolutely positive.

I was definitely going to do this until I just heard you have to pick the luggage up in the morning and bring it to an American Airlines desk. I was assuming they took it the night before and you didn't see it until you were home. I was hopeing to avoid the morning hassle, that would have made the $10 worth it. For the time it takes to bring them to a desk we could be in a taxi and off to the airport. Thanks so much for the info.

I was definitely going to do this until I just heard you have to pick the luggage up in the morning and bring it to an American Airlines desk. I was assuming they took it the night before and you didn't see it until you were home. I was hopeing to avoid the morning hassle, that would have made the $10 worth it. For the time it takes to bring them to a desk we could be in a taxi and off to the airport. Thanks so much for the info.

I agree. I really don't see the value if you are going from the pier straight to the airport. There are only two of us and we don't travel with that much luggage.

The advantage for me, at least, is not having to deal with the luggage at the airport. If there are two or three ships unloading, which is often the case, the lines and confusion at the airport can be horrendous. I like just walking into the airport luggage-free with my boarding pass in my hand and go directly to my gate or a restaurant or gift shop or what ever. The "desk" at the pier is really just a couple of guys who take your luggage and give you your boarding pass....took about 5 minutes(no line) and we were in a cab to the airport.

Has anyone used the checking bags through to the airport service at the pier in Miami for an American Airlines flight out of Miami airport? I called American and they said Miami is not one of the cities this is available in, but they didn't seem too familiar with the whole concept and it also didn't seem to match what I had read on these boards.

We did the recent Majesty cruise that started with a Bang! Departing Miami Pier with our luggage there was a sign and a person saying, "Check your luggage direct to MIA this Way>>>". AA and a few other airlines were listed. You had to fly out at 12 noon or later. There was a fee, can't recall it. We had an early flight and couldn't take AAdvantage of it. Maybe next time. Remember, now at the airports, AA charges $2 per bag to check in curbside.

Archived