Conquest only Questions! Post 'em Here!

ShoMeChiefsFan

Can I book my neice in with some friends who only have 3 in their party and then let her sleep in our cabin? We have a 6E family cabin booked so there would be plenty of room.....one son can sleep with dh and I and the other on the pull down and neice on the sofa bed. Conquest wont let 5 people book in the cabin but will they say anything about her sleeping in our cabin? Thanks!

Hey everyone! We are starting to get really excited about our first cruise. I do have a question, though.

We put down that we wanted the early dining because all of us normally eat around five-ish but now we started wondering if that was a very smart thing to do. We are in mountain time and are afraid that we are going to be eating at three-ish which doesn't sound very dinner-ish to me.:D Do you choose your dining time based on the regular time that you eat at home or for some other reason. At 5:45 on the ship wouldn't it be like eating at 3:45 for us or am I thinking backwards? :p

Also, along these same lines.. how does eating in the dining room work for breakfast and lunch. Do you have specific hours that you can eat in the dining room?

Also... Once you have a specific dinner time, do you go at that time to the same table every night and eat with the same people each time?

I absolutely am so excited I can hardly stand it. Reading these boards is sure helping to pass the time. Thanks so much.

Hey everyone! We are starting to get really excited about our first cruise. I do have a question, though.

We put down that we wanted the early dining because all of us normally eat around five-ish but now we started wondering if that was a very smart thing to do. We are in mountain time and are afraid that we are going to be eating at three-ish which doesn't sound very dinner-ish to me.:D Do you choose your dining time based on the regular time that you eat at home or for some other reason. At 5:45 on the ship wouldn't it be like eating at 3:45 for us or am I thinking backwards? :p

Your thinking backwards. It would be later not earlier.

Also, along these same lines.. how does eating in the dining room work for breakfast and lunch. Do you have specific hours that you can eat in the dining room?

The times will be listed in your Compass (newletter)

Also... Once you have a specific dinner time, do you go at that time to the same table every night and eat with the same people each time?

Yes

I absolutely am so excited I can hardly stand it. Reading these boards is sure helping to pass the time. Thanks so much.

Enjoy

The Conquest sails on Central time. central time is one hour ahead of Mountain time.

5:45 Central is 4:45 Mountain.

If you cruise during the winter months, the ship will change time the second night, and change back two nights later. This is because Jamaica and Grand Cayman are in the Eastern time zone but they do not use daylight savings time.

Also, along these same lines.. how does eating in the dining room work for breakfast and lunch. Do you have specific hours that you can eat in the dining room? .

potato... another thing to consider about your dining time... we have always booked the LATE seatings on all of our cruises and we never eat late at home. But we always considered that we are more active on the cruise vacation and liked to get back to the ship with some "down time", sit in the jacuzzis, by the pool, nap whatever... gave us more time to get ready instead of rushing back and getting dressed right away. On one Celebrity cruise they had a fantastic tea near the pool with little finger sandwiches etc every day when the ship would set sail from the port we visited. We would sit there and have a little appetizer until we could get ready for late dinner. Oh, and you can always change your seating once onboard. They are usually very accomodating. Hey, you might get onboard and find that you're at a different seating anyway. It happens to a lot of people. Told and booked one thing, and once they get their docs or on the ship, it's a different story.

But.... if you have small children, that's another story. So consider all options and outside of what you normally do at home because remember... this is your vacation! Have fun!! It IS exciting and you will be hooked after this...:D

Well, I knew you guys would be able to help. I am glad to know that the ship is on Central Time. I thought for sure that I had read where we would be sailing on Eastern Time. I just have to stop reading anything except Carnival Threads! :D One hour difference isn't too bad at all.

Hmmm... that is a good point about the getting ready part of the dining experience. We sure won't have much time if we are on the early listing. Thanks for that suggestion.

Thanks so much for all your help.

Oh, I am triple excited now. I received my official sailing instructions in my email and I also received an email that my passport is being processed! I am beginning to think that I am really actually going on a cruise and it wasn't a dream after all.:D

One hour difference.

The times will be listed in your Capers as to which dining room and the times. Usually 8-10am and 12-2pm

Keep in mind that you dining time is a request. There is no guarentee that is what you are going to be assigned. Personally I like the 6:15 seating. 8pm and 8:30pm usually will cause you to miss some of the shows especially if it is a one time show only.

Dave

You do not have assigned seats in the dining room for breakfast and luch. And only the Monet Dining room Lower level is open during those times, not the other dining room or the upper level.

Most people just eat at the Lido buffet or sandwhich shop or hamburger shop....just because you can stay in your swimsuit for that....:rolleyes:

We usually schedule late dinner just to have time after getting back from excursions. I usually see family with smaller kids eat early. I guess so they can keep them on track.

Don't sweat it you are on vacation...rolll with it.

Just an FYI on the shows. We have always done late seating but never missed any shows. Unless we decided they didn't interest us. Sometimes they have an "early" show BEFORE dinner for the late diners. This would be a time where, if we wanted to attend that show, we did have to get ready earlier than we normally did, but sometimes we didn't want to attend that show anyway. Late diners never miss a show. It's just set at a different time, before dinner instead of afterwards. Keep in mind, this doesn't happen all of the time all week. Your Capers will post the adjustment for these few. Otherwise, the shows are late, after dinner. If you are not late night people, then you might consider early dinner if you want to attend all of the shows. My husband and I, even all of the groups we've cruised with, have always liked the late dinner, late show, occasional early show before dinner schedule.

Just an FYI on the shows. We have always done late seating but never missed any shows. Unless we decided they didn't interest us. Sometimes they have an "early" show BEFORE dinner for the late diners. This would be a time where, if we wanted to attend that show, we did have to get ready earlier than we normally did, but sometimes we didn't want to attend that show anyway. Late diners never miss a show...

I don't go to the shows anyway, but can you get a decent seat on nights that there's only one show at 10:30 if your dinner doesn't start until 8:30? Seems like it would be awfully crowded by the time you got there.

Also the main band in the bar usually starts at 8:30 - 9:30 and ends at 12:00 or 12:30 most nights, so you miss about half of their performance every night if you have the latest seating. I found myself rushing through dinner and skipping dessert to see as much of Blood Power as possible. Also with late seating you have to choose between the show and the music. You can't do both.

We normally eat late, but we are going to try to get the 6:15 seating on our next cruise. I don't really want to eat that early, but I want to see if it works out better to get to do more in the evenings.

I have been on Carnival cruises where the magic or comedian act is usually just one performance at 9pm. So the late diners would either have to rush or miss the show.

Dave

We were on the Conquest in May, and we had 8 pm dining in Monet. (There was even a later one at 8:15!) We saw both the magician and the comedian and it was not at 9 pm. I don't recall when, but there was never a show we could not attend on this cruise, and I don't recall any other cruise (8 others on different lines) that we had to miss. I do know that some of the entertainment, and it may have been the magacian and comedian, was BEFORE dinner... I'd have to check my Capers.

Now about the music in the Bars... we normally didn't do that, except when cruising with a group, and we hit the karaoke and bar late.

Oh, and about getting seats, yes sometimes a show can be quite crowded, other times not... but we never had to be turned away because of a crowd. Now a "decent seat" is another story. A few times if you arrive late, yes they are hard to come by.

I guess it's all about preference. What's important to one cruiser is different from the rest. When we traveled with friends in a group, sometimes we preferred to miss the show and go to a bar to drink before dinner. Again, it depends on the ships' schedules and what they have to offer. Getting a copy of the Capers (Carnival) or anyother cruise agenda beforehand might be helpful if you have questions about the entertainment onboard and what time you would like to schedule your dinner around it. I actually never thought about doing that, but that sounds as if it would be a good idea in the future! :)

Hey potatohead! You are on our cruise in September! Come on over to the roll call and join in! As far as dining, we always get the 8pm seating, we do not have small children and we like to relax a little after coming back from shore so it works for us. We haven't missed a show we wanted to see and if we get a little hungry before 8 we can always grab a snack somewhere on the ship. (or from room service) :cool:

I am trying to get a 6:15 dining time. If I come back late from shore and miss my dining time, will they let me in the 8:00 seating?

You can ask the Maitre 'd if space is available for you at the later seating. You may get lucky and be squeezed in. You will not be seated at your regular table. Be prepared to eat in the buffet if space isn't available for you. It will be entirely at the discretion of the Maitr 'd

I am trying to get a 6:15 dining time. If I come back late from shore and miss my dining time, will they let me in the 8:00 seating?

Yes and no. It would depend if they had any seating left. We have dined with friends at a later seating when we came in late from shore but it is up to the Maitre'd.

Dave

I read something about some of the hotels in Galveston let you leave you car there the entire week you are on your cruise. Has anyone ever done that? I would love to save the $70 off the parking? Do they shuttle you? What hotels are walking distance to the pier?

I am sure you will get a few people with specific hotel answers, but the best place to look is Glaveston.com. You can look through the hotels and they will have specifics about each on e of them and whether they provide free parking for a cruise, abd free tide to the pier as soom of them a really too far. I know the Harbor House is pretty within walking distance to the cruise terminal, but it is not that large and may be harder to get into.

I would also sugest you check into the Galveston post of call discoussion board for more hotel suggestions. ;)