E-Docs or Paper Docs...What are your thoughts?

M&MCruisin

My first cruise I got paper documents with several luggage tags, etc....for my upcomming NCL Pearl cruise, I got e-docs. First, are all NCL documents e-docs or is it according to the TA? I like the fact that I got them so soon, but I dont like the fact that the luggage tags will be so flimsy since we print them ourselves. I think I will print them on cardstock paper to make them more sturdy. When I got the paper docs, it felt more official...does that make sense? Im all set to go with my e-docs...just curious what others think about them vs the paper docs. Lets discuss!

I received e-docs which I didn't care for either especially the paper luggage tags you print out and then have to figure out a way to make them sturdy with heavy paper. I also like have the "real documents" that you get in the mail. I have always had "real" ones until this cruise.

Anyway I called NCL and requested for them to send the documents to me and so that is what they are going to do. I should receive them next week. I did not tell them that I already had received the e-docs, but I don't think it would matter. They want you to be happy. If you request for them to send them, they will. I just love looking at them over and over.

My first cruise I got paper documents with several luggage tags, etc....for my upcomming NCL Pearl cruise, I got e-docs. First, are all NCL documents e-docs or is it according to the TA? I like the fact that I got them so soon, but I dont like the fact that the luggage tags will be so flimsy since we print them ourselves. I think I will print them on cardstock paper to make them more sturdy. When I got the paper docs, it felt more official...does that make sense? Im all set to go with my e-docs...just curious what others think about them vs the paper docs. Lets discuss!

On the luggage tags fold them like instructed and than take the tape the post office uses to wrap pacages and they become real sturdy. The tape is clear. That is what i used to make mine sturdy. GEAUX Saints.

I'd take either...we sail in 16 days and we have yet to receive our docs :confused: I've printed everything I can get my hands on and if we have to fly to NOLA with out them..at least I have a reservation number so we should be good to go...Anyone with any experience who didnt receive their docs before they sailed?..In all our cruises we have never come down to the wire like this without them..

My first cruise I got paper documents with several luggage tags, etc....for my upcomming NCL Pearl cruise, I got e-docs. First, are all NCL documents e-docs or is it according to the TA? I like the fact that I got them so soon, but I dont like the fact that the luggage tags will be so flimsy since we print them ourselves. I think I will print them on cardstock paper to make them more sturdy.

My TA has told me he can get either and just requests (from NCL) whatever his clients prefer.

There is a thread about the luggage tags currently running and it sounds like they can be folded so that they are quite sturdy. Here's a link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=472640

If you're still not comfortable, you can always get the regular tags from the porters at the pier.

-Monte

WOW! Thanks for all the great ideas everyone. One of our travelers are very unhappy with the edocs so I will make the suggestion for them to call NCL and get paper ones. Ive never experienced embarkment with edocs, so as long as I get in my room, Ill be happy.

cruisequeen...thanks for the scrapbook tip. I find all sorts of things to add to my book, but I didnt think of that!

I received e-docs which I didn't care for either especially the paper luggage tags you print out and then have to figure out a way to make them sturdy with heavy paper. I also like have the "real documents" that you get in the mail. I have always had "real" ones until this cruise.

Anyway I called NCL and requested for them to send the documents to me and so that is what they are going to do. I should receive them next week. I did not tell them that I already had received the e-docs, but I don't think it would matter. They want you to be happy. If you request for them to send them, they will. I just love looking at them over and over.

What number do you call at NCL to request "paper documents" instead of the "e-docs"? Thanks!

I got my edocs immediately and did not have to wait till i got down to the wire before getting them. I gues it really doesn't matter which as they don't even look at them let alone collect them. I guess there is more anticipation waiting for the paper docs.

As far as the tags go if you print them on the paper you make your cards on they are fine, especially after you fold them so many times. They say to staple them but i guess anything that works for you will work for them.

Hey guys! as long as we get them for what ever reason, scrapbooks or what ever at lest we got them, right? Blue skies and smoothe sailing to all.;)

Guest BeckyThane

My first cruise on NCL (Dawn in 11/06) I received e-docs. It was disappointing, lacking the same thrill -- and resultant doc dance :D -- as receiving paper docs in the mail.

I will point out, however, that if one prints the luggage tags on regular paper, then folds and staples them as instructed, they are quite sturdy.

My second cruise on NCL (Dawn in 12/06) I received paper docs. Hello, docs dance! I liked getting the ticket/contract booklet, shore excursion booklet, cruising w/ NCL booklet, etc. Something colorful and tangible to put my hands on, fondle, oogle over for hours in anticipation of my upcoming cruise.

e-docs simply cannot beat paper docs!

Who is still receiving paper docs? We got ours just before Christmas for our 2/10 cruise. We have received paper documents each time we've booked directly with NCL.

Last year, for our Alaska cruise, we transferred our NCL-booked cruise over to a TA we met on another cruise. She gave us a choice of receiving regular docs or e-docs early, and we chose the e-docs.

So, who gets the regular docs? Did you book with NCL or through a TA?

We've gotten both, but prefer the paper docs. It's more exciting to sit down and go through all of the things they send along with the tickets - info on shore excursions - lugggage tags - ammenities you can purchase before sailing etc.

edocs on the computer are just like printing out your everyday email - not exciting at all!

The cruise lines are all migrating toward e-docs and most of them do only e-docs for group bookings now. I expect that it won't be long before that is the only option.

There are two advantages:

* With e-docs you generally receive them much earlier. For all the "dancers" out there, you could have a couple months to dance prior to your cruise. It makes it all feel official.

* And cost savings...if the cruise lines continue to print, pack and ship paper docs, just who do you think pays for them (ultimately)?

You can make the paper luggage tags work. I printed mine, put address labels on them, covered with packing tape and cut them out. They looked good and held on, no problem.

I also prefer paper docs, but can accept the advantages of e-docs.

I know how you feel, even being a TA I still like getting the paper docs, in a little folder, with tags, information etc. That being said, like everything else in life we have to get used to changes. NCL isn't the only line to adopt e-docs. 5 years from now we will try to remember what the old docs looked like. As for NCL versus your agent, NCL is still using paper docs when requested or should I say using E docs when the agent requests them. When we get E docs we wait til we get to the ship and pick up luggage tags. It only takes a 2 minutes to fill them out. NMnita

I received E Tickets for my upcoming cruise in two weeks. They sure look cheap and unofficial. This is my 13th cruise and my first time with this type of documents. I wish I had read this notice earlier about requesting the regular documents but it is too close to sailing for me to get them. I did not receive any booklet explaining the procedures on the cruiseor the shore excursions like I received in the past. I think for those who are their first cruise, this booklet containing the information would be very helpful.

Carolyn

This edocuments is a terrific idea for us, we live in Europe but we are Americans and always book our cruises in US and have always had the problem of receiving our documents in good time, we try to be in US when they arrive to that address.

Now we can just print them off, hurray for progress!

Archived