Sea Conditions From New York

Pop's Crusin

Did this cruise last March with my family. The seas out of NY were quite high. My mother with "the patch" did fine. My sister with some kind of pills did ok. My brother and his wife disappeared, and my Dad and I loved it! Guess it just depends on how you feel about it but best to be prepared and medicate before it's too late if you know that you are likely to get sick.

We just returned from the January 6 Noordam cruise round trip New York. The day we boarded in New York was 68 degrees and we enjoyed lunch at aft pool in shirt sleeves. Unbelieveable for the first week of January in New York. DH and I thought the sail southward was very smooth considering what it might have been.

Coming back to New York we had some rougher seas particularly our last sea day. We were fine and didn't mind. All in all, we found the sea days on either end of our cruise way smoother than we expected. We are not terribly prone to seasickness but we did take a 'preventative', just in case, for the last sea day.

Hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we did.

Hi Pop's, we are on the same sailing. I've been in moderate seas, but never really rough. I was on the previous Noordam, and that ship really didn't handle any type of wave, but the newer ships are much more stable.

The best thing you can do is to keep yourself up right! The tendancy when you are feeling ill is to lie down, which is the worst thing for motion sickness. If you can make it though a meal you'll be just fine. Ginger is one of the best natural remedies for motion sickness.

So glad you started a thread on this topic as I had asked 'around' and nobody had really adressed my queries.:confused:

Sadly, all the responses were what I feared...guess we're in for some tossing and turning the first day or so out of NY. We sailed from Norfolk a couple of years ago and had awfully rough seas on the way down to the Caribbean and back home. We met quite a few pax on that sailing (Maasdam) who said they had gone from Va. before during different times of the year and had had very calm seas. The N. Atlantic is upredictable so I guess this is price one must pay. :rolleyes: I just hope we have a bit of luck and end up with a manageable experience.

Cira, no worries, it won't be that bad!:eek: ;)

Hey John where the hec have you been?

Thats a good picture, looks a bit what we get for 2 days sailing north from here in July. In 2005 it was the captain and officers that copped the big wave and they all got drowned. lol

If you are going to the Caribbean, you will be passing through the "Graveyard of the Atlantic" , the Bermuda Triangle, and the Hatteras Abyssal.

The potential for high seas is,,,,high.

Have a great cruise!

Mark

LOL Mark:D

the only thing you didn't add to "bolster" the confidence of the Poster was to mention the possibility of an "attack of whales":eek:

is there a potential for rough seas? of course there is

where's there's Ocean, there's motion:rolleyes:

where there's motion, there are also at least 5 bars you can immediately head for;)

enjoy your cruise .. I'd be more concerned the weather in New York than I would about the seas on the way down south

On the return leg of the inaugural cruise, we traversed an eerily flat ocean the day after San Juan...

...However, the next day the waves increased until the night before New York when we had 45 foot seas.

Chances are, you'll run into some heavy seas somewhere along the way - just remember to take your candied ginger when exiting the Dining Room.

My DH and I sailed on the Dawn out NYC 2 years ago. The first cruise for both of us. I was sea (barfing) sick the first day and my DH was a beautiful shade of green. It was my mistake not to take Bonnie the day before and the day of the cruise. The seas were very high, and I did not think the ship took the high seas all that well. I believe that it was last year that the NCL Dawn was hit by a very large wave that caused a considerable amount of damage to the ship, so there is a good chance of high seas.

We too will be sailing on the Noordam 02/28 sailing. From what I have read on these wonderful boards, the Noordam takes the rough seas very well. I know I will take Bonnie the day before, and the day of departure. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that gets sea sick, but it hasn't stopped me yet. We cruised out of Tampa last year on Royal, the seas were rough and the cruise was rougher. I wasn't in the least bit impressed and it doesn't take much at all to impress me. I really look forward to Holland, I think we are making the right choice. My advice, take something if your susceptible.

I was on the January 6 Noordam cruise and there were rough seas on three of the nights. This is defined as 7.5 to 15 feet waves. One bonine is fine for moderate seas for me but when the going gets rough I need to take 2 pills at the same time. That generally fixes the seasickness but 2 pills at once does make me sleepy. Better to be asleep than sick. By the way you can get the pills for free at the infirmary. They also have free tylenol and aspirin- no need to pay for these things in the ship's store.

I thoroughly enjoyed this cruise but I'm leaning toward booking a cruise from Florida next January because of my motion sickness problems.

I think the Noordam rides very, very well. I can't say I even feel the ship move unless the seas are quite high. Pity. :(

I agree w/ Ruth--

If I can't feel the floor moving under my feet - I'm not getting my money's worth!

;)

Archived