Why the heck, should we pay ANY tipING to a Porter...

VentureMan_2000

http://www.wcnyh.org/newspage4a.htm

<<<<A longshoreman with full seniority averages $80,479 a year; overtime can

ratchet it up to $136,000. Members get 16 paid holidays - including St.

Patrick's Day and Good Friday - and up to six weeks vacation. Work on those

days is paid at double time.>>>>

Steve

So let me get this straight. You cited an article from NEW YORK declaring that a longshoreman with full seniority AVERAGES 80k to substantiate your claim that MIAMI longshoremen make 100k+. Makes perfect sense to me.

We had a nice experience in New York when going to Canada. We had 2 small bags and gave them to the porter who just had to swivel around and put them on the cart. We gave him $5. anyway. He tried to give it back saying it was not necessary. When we insisted he said "okay lady, but I'm gonna put it in the offering at mass and pray for you and your family". He was the nicest man ever.

CruisinGator and Mike already said this.

1. I've never had a rude porter and have cruised out of Miami many, many times. Might be because I'm reaching as soon as I'm out of the car[ and they can read our body language quite well]

2. Loading the bags into the car is the last time I want to touch them until I'm unpacking aboard.

Old story.....

Barb and I rent a car to take to the port, then rent another to drive home, costs about the same as parking, but my Testostaroni is sitting in my garage at home. Soooo... we're in the shuttle to the ship with 2 college guys [spring breakers]. At the curb, they very pointedly STIFF the porters while I point out which are our bags and tip $10. About 11 that nite we run into the college guys at the Lido aft bar. The one says, "Sure glad I didn't tip that guy, we don't have our bags YET!" Barb and I cracked up. We had our luggage within an hour.

A cruise is a vacation and a tip is like a popcorn fxxt in a windstorm.

Why let such a little thing or one's own cheapness ruin a vacation??????????

Dan

CruisinGator and Mike already said this.

1. I've never had a rude porter and have cruised out of Miami many, many times. Might be because I'm reaching as soon as I'm out of the car[ and they can read our body language quite well]

2. Loading the bags into the car is the last time I want to touch them until I'm unpacking aboard.

Old story.....

Barb and I rent a car to take to the port, then rent another to drive home, costs about the same as parking, but my Testostaroni is sitting in my garage at home. Soooo... we're in the shuttle to the ship with 2 college guys [spring breakers]. At the curb, they very pointedly STIFF the porters while I point out which are our bags and tip $10. About 11 that nite we run into the college guys at the Lido aft bar. The one says, "Sure glad I didn't tip that guy, we don't have our bags YET!" Barb and I cracked up. We had our luggage within an hour.

A cruise is a vacation and a tip is like a popcorn fxxt in a windstorm.

Why let such a little thing or one's own cheapness ruin a vacation??????????

Dan

Actually this sounds like someone whining to me and the OP states he does not like whiners or at least he stated that on this thread a few weeks ago.

Quote:

Pffffffftttttt....... Nothing worse than a Foodie going on a cruise and complaining about the food. It's not a 5 star restaurant. :rolleyes:

They're serving 3,000 people...

Sorry... don't like whiners... :cool:

Venture

end of quote:

I think some of the "bags didn't get to the room because we didn't tip" replies are just made up. We didn't tip our porter in Port Canaveral and our bags were to our room before we were. And we helped our porter. I grabbed one bag, my fiance grabbed one and the porter grabbed two. (note, I also had all my carryons in my arms so I could only grab one bag) Then he THREW our bags into the cage. luckily they were on top or anything breakable would've been smashed by everyone elses bags getting thrown on top of them. They are union and as union workers they make more than me. I make less than 10,000 a year and my fiance barely breaks 25,000 so we scrimp for two years to go on a cruise. These guys make more than us and our particular porter didn't work hard enough for us to earn a tip

We cruised out of Port Everglades on Jan. 20th and the porter's were very helpful. I was in a wheelchair and also had a walker & cane along with all our luggage. Coming home, our porter was most helpful in finding our luggage and loading it onto the dolly. Brought us out to the garage and to our car. He very definitely deserved the handsome tip we gave him.....

I think some of the "bags didn't get to the room because we didn't tip" replies are just made up.

You are correct.This is a Fantasy board! Or an Imagination board.:D

You can say what you want just for fun.Between brain surgery and my law practice,diving the great barrier reef,and working as a crossing guard in NY city for dogs with personality disorders, I enjoy posting whenever I get the time.

I have always found it a good idea to tip the camp staff.When I used to drop off my kids,I always handed them my kids backpacks and a few bucks so their backpacks would not wind up in the drink.When I picked them up,the backpacks were there:eek: .Thank god!A week without blanky would have been hell.

Steve

First of all I must agree that the porters at the Port of Miami are some of the rudest SOB's I have ever encountered. Second...Whenever ANYONE in the service industry has the mindset that they deserve a tip for doing their job, I probably am not going to give them one.

As for your bags ending up in the water. Has this ever happened to anyone? I would bet not. We always transfer from the airport to the pier via Carnivals transfer service. When you get there the BUS driver unloads the luggage and places it next to the bus. The porters have NO IDEA who you are or what luggage is yours. So I highly doubt that your bag would end up in the water.

Maybe it might be more of an issue if you drive to the port or arrive via taxi, but I doubt it.

To me tipping is for doing a job above and beyond the job description, and if I receive that oustanding service then I am happy to tip.

I think some of the "bags didn't get to the room because we didn't tip" replies are just made up. We didn't tip our porter in Port Canaveral and our bags were to our room before we were. And we helped our porter. I grabbed one bag, my fiance grabbed one and the porter grabbed two. (note, I also had all my carryons in my arms so I could only grab one bag) Then he THREW our bags into the cage. luckily they were on top or anything breakable would've been smashed by everyone elses bags getting thrown on top of them. They are union and as union workers they make more than me. I make less than 10,000 a year and my fiance barely breaks 25,000 so we scrimp for two years to go on a cruise. These guys make more than us and our particular porter didn't work hard enough for us to earn a tip

So you not only stiff the porters but you also call people who do tip them, liars. That explains a lot.

Dan

Cruising out of NY 8 years ago, DW and I had 4 bags and all I had was a ten. I was young and money was real tight, and I made the mistake of asking the porter for $2 change.

Guy didn't even blink, just gave me my change.

6 hrs after sailing I found my missing bag at the pursuer's desk, It was missing a tag.

As we were packing at the end of the cruise, we found the tag in the front pocket of the "lost and found" suitcase - with $2 wrapped around it!

This is why I always tip, to make sure my bags make it on my trip! I have always gotten my luggage very promptly...usually by muster. I also always put two tags on my bags, one on the side and one on the bottom. Most Porters I have dealt with have been quite helpful, I figure tipping is the least I can do.

Ok, I sailed out of Miami in Sept 06 and did not find the porters rude in anyway. Typically I guess that I just expect to provide them with a tip and yes the airport baggage handlers as well. Guess the porters will be happy to serve me after dealing with rude non tipping customers. :D

On our first cruise, I didn't know what to do with the luggage/porter issue. We had one rolling suitcase; we walked up to the line at the Galveston pier, and no one offered to take anything. I saw an opening in a warehouse full of people and luggage, so I rolled my suitcase in to a cage. A man ran over, lifted it onto the cage, and that was it. I tried to tip him, per the advice from these boards, and he refused the tip, saying he didn't do anything he wasn't already paid to do.

Hmm...maybe he was just being nice, or this is the way it is?

That's how they are in Galveston - at least when I went out of there. They didn't act as if a tip was necessary - almost had to force it into their hand.

Archived