Why the heck, should we pay ANY tipING to a Porter...

VentureMan_2000

I am -

Female

63 Years Old

Bad Back

Heavy Bags - Due to taking way to much stuff!

Do I tip - You Bet and I am HAPPY to do it! ;)

I also tip at the airport and anywhere someone will tote those bags for me!

Vie Lee

Just wondering what the rest of the cruising public does? Do cruisers on other lines complain about tipping or is it just the ones that cruise our "Walmart" line. I'm guessing that the people who truly go first class don't worry about the few extra bucks. (Not to suggest that Carnival is not first class :) )
There are complainers on every cruiseline! :p

We have always carried our own luggage into the drop off place, so we've never tipped. It will probably be different this year though because it's an all girls trip, so hubby won't be there to help carry all my suitcases! If a porter helps me with my bags I would defenitley tip them.

You know who I HATE tipping? The people that ring up your to-go order at like Chilis or whatever. What do they do that a fast food person doesn't do? NOTHING. I've watched them on several occassions, but they think the deserve a tip! For what, ringing me up? Sheesh.

Perhaps someone else has seen the signs but at Port Canaveral they have signs posted that say "no tips required."

Regardless of what's posted or if I feel they are well paid or not, I tip them because a few bucks is not going to matter in the big scheme of things with my vacation budget. :p

I met a first time cruising couple a few years ago who didn't tip their porter. Apparently they didn't know that it was customary to tip them. They asked my wife and I how long it took us to get our luggage. We got our luggage almost 2 hours before dinner. At midnight they heard a knock on their cabbin door as their luggage was delevered.

I look at tipping the porters as cheap insurance and so far I have always received my luggage in a timely maner.

I gladly tip if they would just get the bags out of the car and take them away, but when they stand there and watch you struggle as you lift the bags out and then I still feel obligated to tip them the same amount it does irk me.

I also do not like the same story from the porters that climb onto the buses at Miami with the "I'm the last person your bags will see so tip well" and "I'm putting my grandkids thru college".

I tip for service but I don't like to be threatened. All the porters have to do is be nice and give good service and most people would tip well.

On our first cruise, I didn't know what to do with the luggage/porter issue. We had one rolling suitcase; we walked up to the line at the Galveston pier, and no one offered to take anything. I saw an opening in a warehouse full of people and luggage, so I rolled my suitcase in to a cage. A man ran over, lifted it onto the cage, and that was it. I tried to tip him, per the advice from these boards, and he refused the tip, saying he didn't do anything he wasn't already paid to do.

Hmm...maybe he was just being nice, or this is the way it is?

We had a similar experience in Galveston at embarkation - we stepped off the bus and the porters were already unloading the luggage onto carts. We were directed toward the entrance to the building and had no opportunity to even get close enough to the porters to tip them, assuming I could find the one that actually handled our bags. Regardless, our luggage was all delivered by 5PM. Going home, I probably over tipped our porter to make up for it (although we had a lot of luggage and it was hot) but what the heck - at least I didn't have to haul that stuff around that crowded warehouse and out to the parking lot.

Why the heck, should we pay Any TIPing to a Porter in Miami for a Maimi cruise... All they do is pick up a bag and place it in a cage 2 feet away... Who has been threatened with there luggage...?

Aren't they Union, and already get paid a UNION WAGE...?

Are you the poster person for cheap or have you always been rude? Guess you have never had to work for a living.

We definitely tip our porter's... anyone who carries my overpacked bags deserves a tip. The only time we have been ASKED for a tip was in San Diego. Before he got them loaded on the cart, he asked who was going to take care of him??? I already had his tip in my hand!

The nicest porters that we have ever had were in Long Beach. Arriving & leaving. Upon arrival, our porter gave us thorough instructions on where to go and what to do. We so appreciated that, even though we weren't first time cruisers - it was our first time at this port. Upon leaving, we had an equally helpful porter that made sure we were waiting in the right place for our shuttle, etc. We just consider tipping as a part of our budget!

I tip the airline curbside porters and they do way less.... no problem with that either.

I gladly tip if they would just get the bags out of the car and take them away, but when they stand there and watch you struggle as you lift the bags out and then I still feel obligated to tip them the same amount it does irk me.

I also do not like the same story from the porters that climb onto the buses at Miami with the "I'm the last person your bags will see so tip well" and "I'm putting my grandkids thru college".

I tip for service but I don't like to be threatened. All the porters have to do is be nice and give good service and most people would tip well.

I don't mind tipping IF the porter actually earns it! And that is rare, in my experience.

When we went on the Triumph out of Miami a few years back, we accidentally tipped the wrong person. My husband handed the tip to the guy who showed us over to the cages. Well, turns out about 2 minutes later when were almost to the ship, the porter chased us down and said he needed his tip. We said we already tipped, and he took us back and made us show who we gave our tip to. Turns out I guess that person wasn't supposed to get the tip. Anyway, pretty rude if you ask me. Also, our tablemates tried to tip less than the $2 per bag. They gave $5 for 3 bags, and the porter told them they wouldn't take their bags unless they gave them another dollar. Maybe these are the exceptions, but if that's the case, I'd rather they not call it a tip, and just say it's a $2 fee per bag for taking care of the luggage.

laura

Why the heck, should we pay Any TIPing to a Porter in Miami for a Maimi cruise... All they do is pick up a bag and place it in a cage 2 feet away... Who has been threatened with there luggage...?

My opinion only.... After I lug that luggage all over the country ( either by air or car ) I'm sick of it. They take the luggage off my hands and it is such a relief that I think a tip is certainly warranted. At this point I'm just so glad someone wants to help me with it LOL.

-Mike

One reason - you want your bags to get on the ship!

In Miami, they won't let you do it.

These porters make $100,000 +

Yeah. Right. You got a citation for that?

A high-end, experienced, union longshoreman with 20+ years with the union MIGHT make close to $100k. Do tell, though - if you were making $100k, would you volunteer to work extra shifts humping luggage for tips?

Reread my posting. The couple that didn't tip was the one that didn't get their bags until midnight. I received my stuff promptly.

I did reread your post.You posted...

<<<I look at tipping the porters as cheap insurance and so far I have always received my luggage in a timely maner>>>

I then asked ....If you did not get your bags until midnight or in a timely manner , how does your insurance payoff?

A hypothetical question.I realize the posting was about another couple.What I got out of it was you had insurance (you tipped) so that is why you got yours timely.I asked what if you did not get them timely,what good would the so called insurance be?

Steve

A high-end, experienced, union longshoreman with 20+ years with the union MIGHT make close to $100k. Do tell, though - if you were making $100k, would you volunteer to work extra shifts humping luggage for tips?

http://www.wcnyh.org/newspage4a.htm

<<<<A longshoreman with full seniority averages $80,479 a year; overtime can

ratchet it up to $136,000. Members get 16 paid holidays - including St.

Patrick's Day and Good Friday - and up to six weeks vacation. Work on those

days is paid at double time.>>>>

Steve

For time and a half plus tips, I know I would, that is how many of those guys turn their 80K/year salary into an easy six figures per Steve's article that I had already posted for you once :rolleyes: not that you need convincing, do you have a citation to the contrary???

Archived