Why the heck, should we pay ANY tipING to a Porter...

VentureMan_2000

I don't know when we came in with a group of 25 a couple years ago, they had to make sure all our luggage was there, with the right tags on everything. And, deal with a bunch of people that were already in vacation mode, no cares, no worries! They really earned their tip!

Do you say the same thing at curb side check in at the airport? Is there any difference? If you were a bag checker would you appreciate tips? If you were a taxi cab driver would you appreciate tips? If you were a waiter would you appreciate tips? If you were a bartender would you appreciate tips?

Bottom line......we all know how much they make, and well we make a little more than them, and they make life convenient for us, AND most will give some great tips of the day on the ship you are boarding! Whats a freakin dollar a bag....sheesh!

Unless you are from another country....its customary to tip in USA! And a job well done is worth a coupla bucks! Its certainly not going to break my bank!

Tipping threads just so get my blood boiling......especially when the $10 a day gets brought up.....the thought of removing that from my folio (or any other thoughtful HUMAN being doing so) just makes my skin crawl! That $10 is so well earned and after the split is so nothing.....In my opinion forget the 10 bux a day include it in your fare, dont feel you get a "bitch" to accomodate you every single day you sail, but anything above and beyond you do get...YES a tip is called for! Especially if you are the type to leave the room a total mess because you feel you can.....messy people (especially those with children) have to realize that $10 a day really just doesnt cut it! Nickel and dime on your exhursions not the staff, especially those that are cleaning your rooms and changing your beds!

Peace!

It all depends on the porter tooooo.... Sept..at Pt. Canerval we tipped the porter the appropriate $2. per bag....no big deal.......when my husband gave him the money, he looked at it like it was a quarter....it was rather irritating.....and yes it was a $4. tip for two bags to be placed about 50 feet from where we were standing....we didn't know where to go so we had rolled our luggage right in front of where it was going to end up.....

No big deal, didn't ruin our excitment, but we did wonder a bit if our luggage was going to make it on board.........:eek:

We just figured this particular man, had no class and was not grateful to have a job in the first place.......oh well......

I doubt they are union to begin with. And a dollar per bag to assure that my luggage gets onboard is a pitance to what I'm gonna spend. I suspect without their tips they wouldnt wanna work for just their salary. We had really good porters in Galveston. Just glad I didnt have to wag the bags myself and dump them in the bin.

On the last cruise, my family of 5 had quite a bit of luggage. The porter opened the back of the Suburban and unloaded it, gently I might add. He placed, not threw, our bags into the rolling cart and was very nice. He told us a joke and said he would take care of our bags. We were so pleased we got in the car to go park. Suddenly I realized I had not tipped him and jumped out of the car and ran back to him with a $20. He was very grateful but had not indicated a lack of tip when we were pulling away to begin with. No grimace or look of confusion. :confused: :eek: :mad: He was very gracious and well deserving of our hard earned money.:D

Before even moving our bags the 6 feet to the cage from where the Budget Car Rental van had placed them, the curbside porter stopped to count the tip I had handed him. He thumbed through the bills in the palm of his hand. Funny I don't recall the Budget Car Rental van driver doing this...she just said thank you, have a nice trip, placed the bills in her pocket, got back in her van and drove away. Not only did she load our bags into the van at Budget, drove us to the port, but she unloaded them at the port curbside as well. Tipping is customary...checking the tip in front of the person presenting it to you....is just plain rude. IMOH

Why the heck, should we pay Any TIPing to a Porter in Miami for a Maimi cruise... All they do is pick up a bag and place it in a cage 2 feet away... Who has been threatened with there luggage...?

Aren't they Union, and already get paid a UNION WAGE...?

On our first cruise, I didn't know what to do with the luggage/porter issue. We had one rolling suitcase; we walked up to the line at the Galveston pier, and no one offered to take anything. I saw an opening in a warehouse full of people and luggage, so I rolled my suitcase in to a cage. A man ran over, lifted it onto the cage, and that was it. I tried to tip him, per the advice from these boards, and he refused the tip, saying he didn't do anything he wasn't already paid to do.

Hmm...maybe he was just being nice, or this is the way it is?

Good mornin' Venture. I'm surprised. You've been here a long time, so why this little rant?

The porters at the pier are not Carnival employees, you know. They work for the Port Authority of that city, and yes they are members of the Longshoremen's Union. I'm sure they are paid good wages.

I was told by the Harbormaster in N.O. that the guys who work as pier porters volunteer for the cruise ship loading/unloading, for extra money (tips); they aren't assigned as part of their regular jobs.

Whatever ... Tipping is a part of the world we live in...no biggie to me. If you don't want to give them a buck a bag - then carry your own on board and try to get it all to go through that little screener opening.

Hope your 'today' is better.:)

Like CRUISIN RON VA said, just don't tip them. On the other hand, your luggage may be taking a European cruise while you are headed to the Caribbean. Look at it like it is insurance. Tip - you get your luggage. No - tip, you may not get your luggage. It's a dog eat dog world out there. One other thing, I never heard of a rich luggage handler.

Cruising out of NY 8 years ago, DW and I had 4 bags and all I had was a ten. I was young and money was real tight, and I made the mistake of asking the porter for $2 change.

Guy didn't even blink, just gave me my change.

6 hrs after sailing I found my missing bag at the pursuer's desk, It was missing a tag.

As we were packing at the end of the cruise, we found the tag in the front pocket of the "lost and found" suitcase - with $2 wrapped around it!

Since one piece of my luggage weighs a minimum of 50 pounds (more if we are not flying)....just lifting it from the trunk of my car and placing it in a cart can be a work out. I have no problem dropping them a couple of bills to do this.

What I really liked in December at the New Orleans terminal as the fact that the porter taking my luggage wrote his number (Hey #41) on the document so that we knew exactly who had taken our luggage. This was automatic and a nice touch...I thought.

He was also very full of the Christmas spirit and a lot of fun. You would have thought he was about to get on the cruise ship.

I tried to stay away from this thread because the subject of tipping porters is a pet peeve...but I just couldn't fight the urge,lol...A few thoughts...

I always tip porters...not because I am falling for their extortion ploys, but because it's just the thing to do.

I have found most Miami porters to be very rude...but I won't let their bad attitude ruin the start of my cruise because I only interact with them for a few minutes. They don't represent the cruiseline.

About a week before a cruise, I take all my loose change down to one of those change machines at the grocery store and cash it in. I ask for small bills and use this money for tips during my trip. Although I know I am kidding myself, it seems like free money.

Just wondering what the rest of the cruising public does? Do cruisers on other lines complain about tipping or is it just the ones that cruise our "Walmart" line. I'm guessing that the people who truly go first class don't worry about the few extra bucks. (Not to suggest that Carnival is not first class :) )

Just wondering what the rest of the cruising public does? Do cruisers on other lines complain about tipping or is it just the ones that cruise our "Walmart" line. I'm guessing that the people who truly go first class don't worry about the few extra bucks. (Not to suggest that Carnival is not first class :) )

The super upscale lines have it included... on many other forums for the other lines, you will find the exact same complaints and attitudes...

Oh my give them the tip or take care of your own bags. Can't believe this is even a subject. :cool:

In Miami, they won't let you do it.

These porters make $100,000 +

Mrdood, yes this topic comes up often but almost every question asked today has been asked already.Thats what keeps the advertisers paying.:)

richfret, please loose my luggage.I love buying all new stuff.24 hour wait,then $250 per person per day.Please throw my bags into the ocean.

VIPBY40, I hate that $10 auto-tip.I think they should be removed as soon as one boards and tipped in cash later.Actually I would like it included in the fare so no gets stiffed.

Steve

Archived