Luggage Locks - Not Flying!

Can I lock my luggage with non TSA locks (we're driving to port)?

I want to lock my luggage when:

1. We're out of our room and our laptop is not,

2. We leave our bags outside our room the night before we disembark

Should I leave the locks off when we hand them to the porter at the pier, or do they not care?

Unless something has changed since last july, you can use anything you want to use to lock your things...TSA has no control over the cruise lines....RCCL didnt have any rules on locked suit cases when we checked in...Maybe they spot check at the pier once in a while, but as far as your room, its your bag or camera case or laptop....Lock away...Use the safe for your small stuff...

I wouldn't travel without locks on my luggage. Not that they stop crime, but perhaps a criminal will think it takes too much time to get them off. We do use TSA locks, even when we don't fly to the port.

Too many people have reported things going missing from their suitcases when left out in the hall when they haven't put locks on. Don't take any unnecessary chances.

Katie

We just use the razor zip ties as can't be bothered with keys for locks and if they do want to open them for any reason the ties can be cut easily without destroying luggage. There is nothing in my checked baggage that is that important to me if ever stolen. Laptops, camera's, etc. anything of real value goes in my carry on and I would never check those things as besides theft they throw the bags around pretty good when loading them. I would never leave anything of real value in my luggage outside in the hall no matter what kind of locks were on the bags. They can cut right thru any bag if they really want something and who would you blame? Tons of people walk the hallways besides the crew. :o

You're right about them throwing the luggage too... We watched luggage being driven at San Juan airport a couple weeks ago...a bag fell off the 'train" and someone had pointed to it, the driver turned her face, looked at the bag out in the lot and kept driving....we watched for 15 more min as people kept driving by and finally someone stopped and picked it up...then they drove right under the restaurant we were watching from and YIKES, it was one of our bags....recognized my bright green business card and my hot pink tsa locks on it....sooo nice to see they treat our luggage with courtesy....

No wonder so much gets lost!!

Archived