Summit Question

EmJakeBubbie

Thinking we may have made a bad decision for the SUMMIT, 6/15/07. We've taken the concierge class for this sailing - doesn't seem to be much reason for Alaska for this category over the more affordably priced Balcony category? preceeding the embarkation we'll be doing Tour #3 that has an overnight in Anchorage, Alyeska, and Seward. I don't read many great reviews for this ship - I do read that the ship is stocked in Vancouver, so that IF one is sailing south, you are sailing on the 2nd wk of "supplies", therefore, supplies tend to be old and run out of stuff (fruits/veggies). ??? The bedding and dining sound "iffy" - any recent experience can share is appreciated. ALSO: can DH get away with just a jacket (no tie) IF invited to dine w/senior officers or Captain? he is not a tux kind-o-guy.

Hi

I am new to Summit but have only heard good reports from others who have sailed on her.

We hd cc last cruise and loved it but it was a very special deal and I don't think we would have paid a lot more for the benefits.

Jacket no tie was reasonably common on informal nights on our last cruise, formal nights seemed to be tux in the main. The dress code was well adhered to.

I didn't think our roll call was busy after the last one but I think thats how it goes.

If its any consolation the May sailing only has a few more than your roll call.

Don't worry I am sure it will be fantastic

We were just on Summit for two weeks in October and are leaving tomorrow for two weeks on her Again!! :D:D Hooray!

She is a wonderful ship and we had a great time. The beds were fine, the dining was superb and the service outstanding.

No worries.

Marlee

Thinking we may have made a bad decision for the SUMMIT' date=' 6/15/07. We've taken the concierge class for this sailing - doesn't seem to be much reason for Alaska for this category over the more affordably priced Balcony category? preceeding the embarkation we'll be doing Tour #3 that has an overnight in Anchorage, Alyeska, and Seward. I don't read many great reviews for this ship - I do read that the ship is stocked in Vancouver, so that IF one is sailing south, you are sailing on the 2nd wk of "supplies", therefore, supplies tend to be old and run out of stuff (fruits/veggies). ??? The bedding and dining sound "iffy" - any recent experience can share is appreciated. ALSO: can DH get away with just a jacket (no tie) IF invited to dine w/senior officers or Captain? he is not a tux kind-o-guy.[/quote']

Invitations to dine at the Captain's table are always held on a "formal" evening.

Thinking we may have made a bad decision for the SUMMIT' date=' 6/15/07. We've taken the concierge class for this sailing - doesn't seem to be much reason for Alaska for this category over the more affordably priced Balcony category? preceeding the embarkation we'll be doing Tour #3 that has an overnight in Anchorage, Alyeska, and Seward. I don't read many great reviews for this ship - I do read that the ship is stocked in Vancouver, so that IF one is sailing south, you are sailing on the 2nd wk of "supplies", therefore, supplies tend to be old and run out of stuff (fruits/veggies). ??? The bedding and dining sound "iffy" - any recent experience can share is appreciated. ALSO: can DH get away with just a jacket (no tie) IF invited to dine w/senior officers or Captain? he is not a tux kind-o-guy.[/quote']

Tux not required only dark suit with tie....

Summit was recently ranked #2 in large cruise ship category according to Conde Naste. Doesn't seem like there will be a problem.

I am encouraged by your responses and for that, I thank each of you. Discussed w/DH tonight: "...what will u wear IF invited to special dining...?" He reluctantly said that he'd rent a tux, so now comes another question: wouldn't want to rent a tux IF we aren't invited to an occassion for which one would be required, so how much notice would DH need to get a tux, once on board? (our plan was to eat in on formal nights but wouldn't want to decline a special invitation as that would just be plain rude). We've sailed X 4 previous times, many yrs ago - because of our RCI Diamond status, now that we are sailing X again, this is the 1st time to be in the elite (or whatever is the equivalent of Diamond) status. I bkd the Summit because, honestly, it was selling at a better price than RCI in Alaska. I did a cost comparison today to compare cruise only vs what we are paying for the Tour #3 and cruise. Looks like the 3nts for the land portion is costing us $1700 which I find horrible, especially when you remember NO food/beverage is included! ouch!

Why not just take a light weight dark suit and bow tie which would be fine for formal and yet wouldn't be a waste as your hubby could use the jacket as a blazer and the trousers with casual shirts for casual nights.

What makes you think you will be invited to the Captain's table? The chances are so slim, I don't think you need to worry about it. On our last 2 cruises we were elite members in cc cabins and did not receive this invite.

is elite the equivalent of Diamond?

since we bkd Concierge Class & have this status, thought chances were higher we'd get invited to special dining (w/Captain or other officer) - wouldn't want to decline IF invite is given - appropriate dress would be required, no way to get around that!

is elite the equivalent of Diamond?

since we bkd Concierge Class & have this status' date=' thought chances were higher we'd get invited to special dining (w/Captain or other officer) - wouldn't want to decline IF invite is given - appropriate dress would be required, no way to get around that![/quote']

Elite is equivalent to Diamond, but on any given cruise, there are MANY passengers at that level.

Karyn

What makes you think you will be invited to the Captain's table? The chances are so slim, I don't think you need to worry about it. On our last 2 cruises we were elite members in cc cabins and did not receive this invite.

I totally agree with you. Even though, Elite members maybe invited, the key word is maybe. If you calculate how many Elite members are on a cruise and throw in some suites, there are not enough Formal Nights for all these people to be accommodated.

EmJake's Bubbie, we just got off Galaxy last week. They're inviting pax to dine at the officers table on formal nights, as well as some of the informal and casual nights. This means lots more pax get invitations to dine with officers. Who knows, you and your DH might get invited! I'd bring the dark suit.:D

I did a cost comparison today to compare cruise only vs what we are paying for the Tour #3 and cruise. Looks like the 3nts for the land portion is costing us $1700 which I find horrible' date=' especially when you remember NO food/beverage is included! ouch![/quote']

You could probably save some money by booking the Anchorage/Seward area tour arrangements and hotels on your own, if you are comfortable doing that.

We had a CC cabin on Millennium and it was wonderful .... it's a larger cabin than a regular balcony cabin (190 vs. 170 sq. ft.), and the amenities are nice http://www.celebritycruises.com/plancruise/ships/cabinclass/cabintype/home.do;jsessionid=0000kxmP_Wwq-Boc3_KV8585wKh:1028etrd4?br=C&cabincls=B&cabinType=CC&shipCode=SM

Which deck are you on?

you guys are TheBest! :D - we are resolved to leave formal attire at home, but "should" we get a special invite, DH will rent the tux. We've already paid-in-full for the air/land/cruise pkg - it's $6500 for both of us plus we have a $400 shipboard credit . Think we could have saved $$ by doing the land portion on our own, but this is a "do one time" kind-o-trip, so it is what it is. (now to pay off the credit card:eek:) Do any of you have any experience/suggestions for the shore tours? Skagway is supposed to be a "rent a car and drive to Emerald Lake"...

EmJake's, a word of caution ... you cannot rent the tux on the ship. This has to be pre-arranged before leaving port as it's not Celebrity's tuxes. The same company handles all the different lines.

You could get lucky and they might have a couple extra onboard, but then the size would have to be right.

In case no one else posted it, here's the link to the tux rental: Cruiseline Formalwear, Inc. - HOME. DH used them for our Panama Canal cruise and he was really pleased.

I did a back to back from

Vancouver to Seward and down again on Summit nearly two years ago == and we did not run out of anything!!!

Except we got a day lopped off coming back because of pod troubles. OK == we were well reimbursed.

Really enjoyed the trip.

love

joan

Did they lose days or did they lose ports?

We came in a day earlier -- got $300 cabin credit, plus a discount voucher.

Since I enjoyed my cruise, enjoy Celebrity ships, that was fine with me.

love

joan

ok, I'm freaked! POD problem threat? possibly inferior bedding? might run out of fresh food? and can't rent the tux on board! ok, so here's my plan:

IF the pod messes up and we get shipboard credit, I'm heading to the jewelry counter:D IF we get invited to special dining, we'll have to decline and that's all there is to it (according to posters, I have nothing to worry about as more than likely, we won't get an invite -- I'll be sure to report back here on what happens). IF we miss ports, the only one I'm concerned about is Skagway as we did rent an AVIS car, but could call ahead and cancel, if need be. It's a ship; on water. Anything can happen - that really is part of travel. I really appreciate everything each of you have shared as it helps to be prepared. I totally forgot about the pod-thing when I booked the SUMMIT. I would think by now this issue is resolved? As tis said: any day on a ship at sea is better than a day in the office! agree?:)

Archived