Kids Club Age Gap How Strict

vinman13

How strict are they in the kids club? If I have a 9 year old and a 11 year old. They should be in 2 different age groups, but they are sisters and do not want to be split up. Is the staff going to force the age group rule on us or will they let it slid. Thank you in advance or the reply.

Can you tell a white lie?

Uhhh, no, the ship has everyone's dates of birth and they DO verify that information with the children's programming. It's not something that you can lie about.

Everything everyone else on here as reported is very accurate:

1.) NCL is very strict on the age groupings. They will not allow children to be moved up to another age group.

2.) They use the ships manifest which comes from your registration information to verify the children's ages. Unless you can forge their birth certificate or passport on the ships records....then forget trying to lie about it.

3.) The age is based on the age the child is on day of embarkation.

4.) Many of tried and I haven't heard of any that has succeeded.

Everyone has always tried to move kids up to the next age group. I'm not sure if anyone has tried to move one down to keep siblings together. Might be worth a shot to see if the 11 year old can go down a group.

Our only experience has been on RCCL where they are VERY strict about the age groups. And do not try to lie as they have the passenger manifest with birthdates. We went through it every year trying to get cousins who were only a few months into the same group. They would not bend the rules whatsoever.

All the mass marketed lines hold a strict line on ages and it probably is a good idea. If they bend for one where do you draw the line. I think one line, it may be RCI someone said did give in recently as the child was aging up while on the ship. That is the only one I have heard of bending the rules at all. NMNita

My DS is 11 1/2 and when we sailed two years ago they would not let him move up. He hated being in the kid's club because he was the oldest kid and he was bored! After the first night we never put him in there again. He was happy just to make friends on his own. :)

Actually, Disney (shhh!) SOMETIMES lets kid try other age groups if there is space available, and I know for a fact that RCCL let my daughter go DOWN in age groups to the 9-11 group (she had JUST turned 12 and the younger programming suited her better) on a cruise a while ago. Going UP in age groups is usually a no go on most cruise lines, especially from pre-teen to the teen programming.

On both princess and celebrity my older son (9) was allowed to stay with my younger son (6) but not the younger with the older one. The activites in the younger group weren't as exciting for my older son but he stayed with his younger brother most of the time.

Kelli

NCL really doesn't let it happen. Just make sure you are prepared for this. I did notice one of the reviews where the cruise was really ruined because the kids wanted no part of being seperated.

One time we cruised and my daughter brought her best friend. My daughter was 13 and her friend was 12. DH wanted to stay in the 10-12, but couldn't and of course the 12yo couldn't be in the teen group. It was too bad as they were bored for much of the cruise.

My son is 18 months older than my daughter and even when they are in the same group, they make their own friends.

I would recommend warning your kids, but then really pushing them to join their own group. They can have a great time and there will be time outside the group to spend together.

Even if they were having a birthday on the ship that put them in the same group, they still wouldn't allow it. They go by the age they are when they board. Very strict!

Shelly

Actually their policy states they will change only if there is a birthday on board that moves them to the next bracket. Doesn't change the fact they are very regimented and strict with the ages through!

Try and think of haveing siblings spilt up as a good thing.

I am a full time ski instructor and we have a a whole day, ski and play thing. When parents lie about the kids age it messes up with all the other kids chance to have fun because no matter how much the parent thinks they are mature for their age, in reality parents tend to have the rose color glasses on with their own childeren. Which is okay and is only natural. But there are reasons for these rules. Also with the siblings split it gives them a chance to make more friends then they would have if they had each other to fall back on. So I am very happy they are stricket with the kids program and I wish at my job we had we could check so easly about the kids real age, because I cant count how many times I heard from the kids I am __ age today.

I am not sure a little white lie will really create any major problems, but I do think it is better to keep kids in the respective age groups. I know some are shy and more comfortable with siblings but what about school and other activities? I bet they do just fine without each other to lean on. I guess really it isn't anyone else's business if you choose to bend the rules, it's just where do you draw the line? This is like the dress code issue, smuggling liqour on the ship or other breaking rules that seem innocent but can lead to trouble. NMnita

Sorry your kids will be upset if they are split apart, but you chose this cruise with this set of rules. Maybe your kids can skip kids club so they can stay together. If kids club is for your benefit, then start talking upbeat about how much fun they will have meeting new people. See if you can find others on the same cruise with same age kids (on the roll calls) so they feel like they already know someone. Even my young adults (20 & 23) like to know ahead of others their same age on board (although they want to hear about others of the opposite sex!) Get them something that will make them feel like they're the most popular kid in their age group (not sure what that would be - a certain game boy game, an mp3 player, an inexpensive digital camera, etc?) If you present a positive attitude about something that is probably inevitable (being split up), this will help them accept it too. Good luck!

Keep in mind the hours of the kid's club -- 9-12, 2-5, 7-10. That leaves time for them to be separate for a few hours in the morning, enjoy lunch and an afternoon at the pool then back to the kid's club for a bit.

I have every expectation the kids will enjoy themselves. (And you probably won't have to teach it's OK to lie)

How would all of you handle this situation? We are vacationing with a my daughter and her friend, my daughter will have her birthday 2 weeks before our cruise and her friend 2 weeks after, at the time of the cruise they will be in different Kid Club Age Groups. We booked the cruise prior to knowing of the age groups and strict rules.

How would all of you handle this situation? We are vacationing with a my daughter and her friend, my daughter will have her birthday 2 weeks before our cruise and her friend 2 weeks after, at the time of the cruise they will be in different Kid Club Age Groups. We booked the cruise prior to knowing of the age groups and strict rules.

Why not ask if they can both be in the younger group. It may not be possible but I suspect it is more possible than getting both in the older group.

If that does not work I am afraid that they will be in seperate groups - so you may find yourself using the Kid's Crew a lot less than you thought you would.

Forget about people on the board passing judgment. There are plenty of them. As a parent you are concerned for your child's enjoyment which is understandable. You handle it however you feel you need to. My son personally hated the kid's club. He usually finds someone to make friends with and we use walkie talkies to keep track of him. Live and let live people!:D

Forget about people on the board passing judgment. There are plenty of them. As a parent you are concerned for your child's enjoyment which is understandable. You handle it however you feel you need to. My son personally hated the kid's club. He usually finds someone to make friends with and we use walkie talkies to keep track of him. Live and let live people!:D

I'm with you on this one!

Vyhanek-I don't mean to argue with you, but trust me, the cruise lines absolutely reserve the right to deny boarding to passengers who's information does not match their government ID. Yes, it will probably never happen to you, but don't take the stance that it can't happen. In today's world the cruise lines are becoming more and more strict with these type of things. I truly would hate for anyone's family vacation to be ruined because the cruise line doesn't care if you say it was a mistake. The cruise lines care that they are providing the safest environment for ALL passengers. I hope that they check everyone's ID's with the utmost care and seriousness.

Beth

Archived