Were You Ever Scared On A Cruise?

I just read the thread on tendering and the dangers. It got me thinking of when I was on my first cruise in Jan on the Carnival Victory. Being in a balcony room whenever I woke up in the middle of the night I would go out on the balcony and look out over the ocean. Most of the time especially if no moon it was pitch black. It was a little spooky to me.

Also one night the ship was rocking some and I was hoping it did not get any worse. Thought about the ship tipping over.

So you see I am a worrier and get scared easy, but my first cruise was pretty uneventful. I loved it.

OK so now I am ready to hear of the times you were scared while crusing and what happened. Any good stories? :eek:

I just read the thread on tendering and the dangers. It got me thinking of when I was on my first cruise in Jan on the Carnival Victory. Being in a balcony room whenever I woke up in the middle of the night I would go out on the balcony and look out over the ocean. Most of the time especially if no moon it was pitch black. It was a little spooky to me.

Also one night the ship was rocking some and I was hoping it did not get any worse. Thought about the ship tipping over.

So you see I am a worrier and get scared easy, but my first cruise was pretty uneventful. I loved it.

OK so now I am ready to hear of the times you were scared while crusing and what happened. Any good stories? :eek:

Hi,

I saw your post and just had to answer it. I have only been on 2 Cruises to nowhere. The first was many years ago and the 2nd was this past Oct aboard the Carnival Legend. When we boarded I wasn't scared at all. The first night the waters were very calm but the 2nd night was a totally different story. There was a bad wind storm and that ship was really rocking A LOT and the wind was howling through the crack in the balcony door which made it even worse. :eek: I was so scared and also had thoughts of the ship tipping over. I guess I just don't like a lot of motion. That night at dinner it was so bumpy that I could barely eat. It felt like we were on a highway going 80 mph. I, of course, knew we weren't but it just felt like that. I too don't like looking out at the ocean at night and find it very spooky. I am going on an 8 night cruise in June but what I'm going to do is get a prescription for valium and if the ship starts to rock a lot, I will take one and it will calm my nerves. Don't worry and enjoy your next cruise. Everything will be fine. :D

Only once.:( Our first cruise. We were on a 17,000 ton ship. We hit Hurricane Hugo and tossed like a little bottle in the Seas.

I was too sick to care what was happening to us.

My husband is an ex Navy man from an even smaller Navy ship than the one we were on. During the night he thought we would crack in half at one point when the ship seemed to come up out of the water and land hard with an unbelievable cracking noise. He was very pleased that I was out like a light and didn't hear it. :o

I am happy to say 23 cruises later that I have never had any fear after that one. :D

I don't know if I was scared or I really just didn't think about where I was in the North Atlantic. We were on a Canada/New England cruise in the fall of 2004 on the Grand Princess. The first day was fine. That 2nd night the ship cracked and creaked and banged and was flooded. It was very very windy 70mph and 25 ft. seas. I just wanted the rough weather to be over. All in all it lasted about 36 hours. It was Tropical Storm Nicole I read on the scroll on CNN. I didn't even tell my husband about that. It was his first cruise and very sick. The next morning in Halifax we saw a weather/temp reading and it stated the wind speeds that Halifax experienced the night before 100kph. My only scarey experience. (Same captain as when the Crown listed out of Port Canaveral)

We were on a Princess cruise, when I decided to go to the shops while hubby was sleeping near the pool. I was there only a couple of minutes when the ship start listing to one side and kept going. I didn't start worrying until I saw the look of sheer panic on the shop's girl faces. Bottles of perfume and liquor were sliding off the shelves, all the racks were tipping over. One of the racks crashed into my back and knocked me onto the floor. The shop girl helped me up and then promptly put me into the lobby and closed and locked the doors behind me.

the pool water spilled out of the pools washing the belongings of many of the people up on the pool deck right off the side of the ship where there was a 6 inch or so opening around the deck.

A little while later the ship's captain came on the speaker and explained that there was a pod (family) of whales sleeping on their backs right under the surface of the water so they had to make an extremely sharp turn to avoid them.

Several year later, we were on a different Princess ship and we saw a crew member wearing a t-shirt that read "I survived the Whale tipping" and gave the ship and date. I so wanted that shirt!!!!

I thought that the cruise lines would get OUT of the way of a hurricane. Hugo was talked about LONG before it hit. Why on earth would a ship be THAT close to the storm. Now, I know that when there is a storm in one area that the sea can be rough hundreds of miles from there but in this case it doesn't sound like that's the case. All I've been told is that for the comfort of the passengers and the safety of the ship, crew and passengers that they would sail around such weather.

When I was younger, I was on a boat, a 50 ft, going from San Diego to Los Angeles. Just outside of the harbor, it caught fire. That was the only time I have ever been scared. It was my dads boat, and I think he was more scared than I was.

We were on a Princess cruise, when I decided to go to the shops while hubby was sleeping near the pool. I was there only a couple of minutes when the ship start listing to one side and kept going. I didn't start worrying until I saw the look of sheer panic on the shop's girl faces. Bottles of perfume and liquor were sliding off the shelves, all the racks were tipping over. One of the racks crashed into my back and knocked me onto the floor. The shop girl helped me up and then promptly put me into the lobby and closed and locked the doors behind me.

the pool water spilled out of the pools washing the belongings of many of the people up on the pool deck right off the side of the ship where there was a 6 inch or so opening around the deck.

A little while later the ship's captain came on the speaker and explained that there was a pod (family) of whales sleeping on their backs right under the surface of the water so they had to make an extremely sharp turn to avoid them.

Several year later, we were on a different Princess ship and we saw a crew member wearing a t-shirt that read "I survived the Whale tipping" and gave the ship and date. I so wanted that shirt!!!!

If that ever happened to me, I think I would need 2 Valium...LOL!! :eek:

40 cruises and never any onboard scare. Guess that comes from avoiding hurricane season.

You can have rough weather any time of the year...not just during hurricane season. High winds especially will make the waves worse.

Even tho our 1st cruise was extremely rocky, I wasn't scared. I guess I'm one of those folks that chooses not to worry until there is something to worry about! (Saves alot of wear and tear on you stress hormones!) Even tho the ship was moving ALOT, I never feared we'd tip over or anything like that!

Now, if we were in seas above 20 ft, I'd be concerned. I know these ships can handle MUCH higher waves than that, but I really don't want to be there when that happens!

I was on the Monarch in 1998. We had an inside cabin. It was a perfectly sunny and nice day in the Caribbean. It was the last day of the cruise and we were on our way back to San Juan. My friend and I decided to come in and pack because we both had bad sunburn. I was sitting on the bed and my friend was standing up. All of a sudden all of the drawers started opening. Then we heard glass breaking and my friend went flying across the cabin. The ship listed severely to one side. Once we sort of righted ourselves, we ran down to the showroom where they were playing bingo. The place was silent and the bingo board slid across the stage. Later we found out that the they picked up a naval ship on sonar/radar? and did not pick up the fact that the naval ship was towing a target. The captain made a sharp turn to avoid severing the target line. This was my 2nd cruise and I was just happy it happened on the last day. I stayed away from inside cabins for a while, but did not stay away from cruising. But my friend and I were pretty shaken up!

The big list on the Grand Princess scared the pants off of me! I did recover and had a good cruise and cruised again after that with no issues. That was 2/06 and that June our skiboat caught fire-- that was quite scary. Me and all the kids in the drink swimming away from the boat.... The boat is fixed, but we've not been out on it again (it wasn't done until October)- don't know how I feel about going on the same boat again. It's like it let you down...

Kay

Did anyone get to see the whales sleeping?? I would gladly let all my belongs get washed overboard for a chance to see a sleeping family of whales!!!

Did anyone get to see the whales sleeping?? I would gladly let all my belongs get washed overboard for a chance to see a sleeping family of whales!!!

I didn't since I was on the promenade deck getting whacked in the back with the clothes rack, but hubby did as he tried to catch his library (cost us 15$) book wash over the side of the ship. Luckily he did catch his sandals.

The Captain and crew later explained that if we had hit the whales we would have most likely damaged the ship and would have limped into some port.

The worst part was that for the next couple of days is that you couldn't go to the shop area without practically passing out from the smell of all the perfume and liquor that had spilled and mixed together.

Yup, when I sailed over from Europe to Canada on the Alexander Pushkin (Russian ship,half passenger half cargo) back in 1972. I was 7 yrs. old, playing:eek: running around unsupervised:eek: and got stuck in the elevator. Scared to death of my parents finding out, and they did!!:(

When I was younger, I was on a boat, a 50 ft, going from San Diego to Los Angeles. Just outside of the harbor, it caught fire. That was the only time I have ever been scared. It was my dads boat, and I think he was more scared than I was.

Please tell us the rest of the story Fitz, what did you do :eek:

###

Archived