Is RC turning into Carnival????

Also what I wanted to know was...HO wdoes the cruise line know if a person is a spring breaker or not??

I'm not sure about making reservations any way other than on-line. But, when I make my reservations on-line, in addition to my birthdate which makes my age obvious, there is also a pull down menu of occupation options. One of these options is student.

So, if there are 4 18 - 22 year olds booked in a cabin during Spring Break season and they all list their occupation as "student" - that might be a good give-away. Even RCI can figure that one out. :D

If one really wants to cruise during Spring Break - maybe that's the only option for some people at their place in life - it might be best if they can go on a 7 day cruise in a more expensive cabin. JS or higher would probably keep them away from the rowdy crowd below.

And as I do on any cruise, if there is behavior happening around me that I don't enjoy - I get up and go somewhere else on the ship. There are so many fun things to do. Even if it's just cigarette smoke that I don't like, I leave and go elsewhere. I've been known to leave my own balcony for this reason and my cruise was every bit as pleasant.

The only real problem for me would be if I had a bunch of Spring Breakers in the room next to me keeping me from getting my sleep. But the only time I had that problem was when a drunk adult was in a OS next to my GS in August. Troublemakers can happen any time of year on any ship.

Thanx Mommabean I can always look for your and your useful information, but I have another question not just for you mainly again to those that feel that cruise lines nedd to break up spring breakers...Your example gave some insight but the web site does not ask for that info until after the cruiser has selected a date destination and ship/cabin then is when if i am not mistaken that the personal info comes into play when setting up your online account/profile. I am proud to say that I am now a 34 y/o proud married father of 2 and with work and football I still find time for school and football, I say that to say this, not all students are your typical spring breakers, some dont even leave their home state and attend community colleges and working to save up to go out of state or family reasons keep them home, so to isolate these "students" just because some of you wan to spilt up spring breakers seems far fetched...not to pick on you Mommabean but again for those few...how can the cruise line tell if a "student" is a "spring breaker" type that many of you are reffering to??

Sorry to go off topic here but Caviargal who are we to put a time limit on some onse usage of a chair, as I stated in another thread If I am in the pool I'll be darned if my 1 lil chair being used by my wife and I gets taken or our stuff gets place on the ground or else where by another passenger!! I am in no way going to watch a clock and run back to my chair every 29 minutes just to ensure my items are still where I left them!! This is where problems start

Sorry to go off topic here but Caviargal who are we to put a time limit on some onse usage of a chair, as I stated in another thread If I am in the pool I'll be darned if my 1 lil chair being used by my wife and I gets taken or our stuff gets place on the ground or else where by another passenger!! I am in no way going to watch a clock and run back to my chair every 29 minutes just to ensure my items are still where I left them!! This is where problems start

I agree. Problems with chairs start when people keep stuff on chairs and do not use them. Some ships have signs posted that say items will be removed after certain periods of time if a chair is left unused. Occasionally, it is even enforced.:)

I agree. Problems with chairs start when people keep stuff on chairs and do not use them. Some ships have signs posted that say items will be removed after certain periods of time if a chair is left unused. Occasionally, it is even enforced.:)

:) ;)

Usually spring break is only a week long so being on a 12 day cruise you should be safe.:)

Bill

Thanks - did not think of that. We really have been wanting to try one of the big ships for some time and have good experiences on other RCL ships - besides am sick of the hassles of flying.

Dare I ask where you are for those 29 minutes that you have to run back to your chair to check on your belongings? How long do you think you should be able to use your belongings to hold "your" chair when you are elsewhere on the ship? Should someone be able to tie up the use of the chair all day long by placing their things on it and then leaving the pool area to do other things for hours, or should there be some reasonable time limit so that those who would actually like to sit in the chairs by the pool could do so?:rolleyes:

And as I do on any cruise, if there is behavior happening around me that I don't enjoy - I get up and go somewhere else on the ship. There are so many fun things to do. Even if it's just cigarette smoke that I don't like, I leave and go elsewhere. I've been known to leave my own balcony for this reason and my cruise was every bit as pleasant.

Well said mommabean. A cruise is what you make of it, and if you let every little thing annoy you, pretty soon you ruin the vacation.

I just got off a "Spring Break" cruise on Majesty with our 10 and 11 year-olds. There were lots of college students, but for the most part I thought they reasonably behaved themselves. Sure there were a few once in a while who obviously had a little too much to drink, but I never witnessed any behavior that I felt crossed the line.

On the first night my 10 year-old son and I were waiting for an elevator, and two girls were coming down the stairs. One was absolutely plastered, and the other had her arm around her neck and was quickly trying to hurry her to their room. The drunk girl was cursing up a storm, and I just smiled at the poor sober one who was obviously embarrassed. My son and I just got a good laugh out of it....no harm done. If anything he got a lesson in what too much drinking can do to you. :rolleyes:

And for the record, even though there were many families on board, I never witnessed any bad behavior from the kids.

Dare I ask where you are for those 29 minutes that you have to run back to your chair to check on your belongings? How long do you think you should be able to use your belongings to hold "your" chair when you are elsewhere on the ship? Should someone be able to tie up the use of the chair all day long by placing their things on it and then leaving the pool area to do other things for hours, or should there be some reasonable time limit so that those who would actually like to sit in the chairs by the pool could do so?:rolleyes:

Well like I stated I use 1 chair for the family rather its land base or upcoming 1st cruise, Being from NY I would never leave my belongings out of eyesight, sorry I dont care how much security has be inplace, in if I am using a chair AT THE POOL then you can bet your bottom dollar that I AM AT THE POOL!! and like I said I did not pay what I paid to have to jump out the pool just to run back to my chair to prove to any one that I am still there!! Thats what I am saying some people trip me out puttin time limits on things that that they paid not extra to use then the original person using it:mad:

I was wondering the same thing!! Also what I wanted to know was...HO ds the cruise line know if a person is a spring breaker or not?? I am taking classes myself and not once did I see a question askin if I was a college student or not and and please for those of you that feel you know how to operate a multi million dollar cruise line better then them tell me how they are to then spilt this up??? are these people talking about segregateing a cruise line just to break up "spring breakers"??? I sure hope not the press would have a field day withthat!!

I for one will enjoy my cruise just as I have any other land based vacation, as long as the rowdy crowd does not disrespect my or my wife and kids then I could care less what the others do

First off, I'm guessing the Cruiseline is not looking for someone to run their multimillion operation. Second, Just reading your post makes me think that you are not appling for that position. Trust me, just using the phrase "I was disrepected" will problably not get up HeadQuarters.

Booking a cruise with Spring Breakers is hit or miss. It doesn't matter how many good expierences you've had. You have a bad one it will be a bad expierence. Ours was. It was horrible and the staff reflected that. They complained constantly about abusive kids, we didn't have access to casual dining because the kids took over the whole dining area in bathing suits each and every night. If it's not a problem for you and you feel spring breakers have priority, you will love cruising druing Spring Break.

First off, I'm guessing the Cruiseline is not looking for someone to run their multimillion operation. Second, Just reading your post makes me think that you are not appling for that position. Trust me, just using the phrase "I was disrepected" will problably not get up HeadQuarters.

Booking a cruise with Spring Breakers is hit or miss. It doesn't matter how many good expierences you've had. You have a bad one it will be a bad expierence. Ours was. It was horrible and the staff reflected that. They complained constantly about abusive kids, we didn't have access to casual dining because the kids took over the whole dining area in bathing suits each and every night. If it's not a problem for you and you feel spring breakers have priority, you will love cruising druing Spring Break.

I have had several VERY unpleasant cruises with the atmosphere you describe. School holidays are so varied these days, it is almost always a risk. We had a loud college group on a first week of December groups, along with a few dozen infants and a ton of kids running amok. It was not my idea of a good time and that has long been regarded as a safe week.

My prediction is that this will grow to be a bigger problem over time and that cruise lines will continue to turn the other cheek.

Whenever I read about folks wanting the cruise line to enforce whatever rules they happen to feel strongly about I wonder.

Why is it the cruise lines job to teach people how to act like adults?

Why is it the cruise lines job to teach adults how to get along?

Safety rules should always be enforced but things like dress codes and chair hogs are up to each adult to follow.

If you don't like the quality of cruises on RCI or any cruise line then find another line to cruise.

Then why bother having rules at all? If people act like adults and not do things that will offend everyone, there should be no need for rules, right? :rolleyes:

We've been on plenty of Carnival and haven't seen that kind of behavior (ok, maybe on one cruise...). I think it is the cruise lines job to keep that kind of behavior in check.

This will be our first cruise with Royal Caribbean. I hope it is as enjoyable as our Celebrity cruise was! I hear RCI was much classier than the Carnival cruises. I hope our 5 day cruise lives up to the standard of the seven day cruises!

You will have a wonderful time on your cruise!! We went August 28 of last year on a 5-night cruise on Enchantment! You will have a blast! There may be several northerner families onboard as they are trying to get that final vacation in before the kids start back to school!! We absolutely had a blast! (I enjoy listening to accents and love the northern and New England accents! Most of my family is up there and it made me feel right at home!) It made the bell-flop contest absolutely hiliarious! Some of those northern men definitely don't back down from challenges and the scoring from the crowd was very tough!!! HAPPY SAILINGS!!!

I was on the Majesty last week (March 5-9)and I felt like I was on a Carnival Cruise!!!! There were 800 college students onboard. RC crew did not know how to react so they stood by and allowed foul language, sloppy drunkeness,vomiting in pools and fighting to go on. It wasn't until two days into the cruise for them to remove 6 guests to be removed off the boat and turned over to Bahamian authorities. And even still they couldn't control the group.I was really disappointed in RC. I realize its the beginning of Spring Break but there is fun and going overboard. No Pun intended!!! Anyone experience this on larger boats? I want to book on Liberty but I'm really thinking twice.:confused:

cruis2007,

RCCL turning into Carnival based on what you saw on RCCL? I've cruised Carnival during Spring Break and never witnessed any of that type of behavior. Perhaps you are just seeing RCCL on a bad week? All cruiselines have weeks that are bad, but you can only hope that RCCL is becoming Carnival. ;)

cruis2007,

RCCL turning into Carnival based on what you saw on RCCL? I've cruised Carnival during Spring Break and never witnessed any of that type of behavior. Perhaps you are just seeing RCCL on a bad week? All cruiselines have weeks that are bad, but you can only hope that RCCL is becoming Carnival. ;)

Considering that you have never stepped foot aboard an RCI ship I doubt that you can make that assumption.:rolleyes:

I was on the Majesty last week (March 5-9)and I felt like I was on a Carnival Cruise!!!! There were 800 college students onboard. RC crew did not know how to react so they stood by and allowed foul language, sloppy drunkeness,vomiting in pools and fighting to go on. It wasn't until two days into the cruise for them to remove 6 guests to be removed off the boat and turned over to Bahamian authorities. And even still they couldn't control the group.I was really disappointed in RC. I realize its the beginning of Spring Break but there is fun and going overboard. No Pun intended!!! Anyone experience this on larger boats? I want to book on Liberty but I'm really thinking twice.:confused:

Hello! Spring break! Durrrr.....

I'm sorry that you experienced that sort of debauchery, but spring breakers are known for being crazy and out of control. I'm 25 and like to have fun and paaarTAY but would NEVER go on a short cruise during spring break!

Laura

Considering that you have never stepped foot aboard an RCI ship I doubt that you can make that assumption.:rolleyes:

Cruisingator2,

The ONLY assumption I made was that RCCL was having a bad week.

I see you boldened text from my post, but that's not an assumptive statement. ;)

An assumptive statement would be that you feel those weeks are the norm for RCCL? How interesting of you to feel that way.

You assume that I have not set foot on an RCCL ship.

Cruisingator2,

The ONLY assumption I made was that RCCL was having a bad week.

I see you boldened text from my post, but that's not an assumptive statement. ;)

An assumptive statement would be that you feel those weeks are the norm for RCCL? How interesting of you to feel that way.

You assume that I have not set foot on an RCCL ship.

Then tell us what RCI ships you have cruised?

Then tell us what RCI ships you have cruised?

Cruisingator2,

There you go again. Assumptions assumptions assumptions. :D

If you think I said something negative about RCCL, then you are mistaken. If you think I said something positive about CCL, then you'd be correct.

If you think I have any problems at all with RCCL, you'd also be mistaken. I happen to think they're a fine company with some awesome ships.

But then again, I don't assume you're giving any of this much thought so assume what you will. :)

Did a Spring Break cruise on the Sovereign 3/5-3/9 with my DH, DD(21), her BF(21) and my 18 yr old nephew. Never again. It was all out bedlam! I'm all for having a great time, but these kids just went crazy. Stumbling drunk by noon, loud, obnoxious, out of control. They took over every bar and lounge, so no one else could have a good time. RCCL security was trying their best to control them, but when you're overrun with drunken college kids, it's an almost impossible job. We even left Nassau over 3 hours late because we had so many people not back on board-our waitress at lunch the next day said they were all young people. Just irresponsible! That's why we went in the first place-to keep an eye on our kids. Next time, we'll stay home and so will the kiddies.

This is a very interesting and enlightening discussion! I'm thinking about when we would want to do a cruise. So, when is Spring Break, because here in Vancouver, my kids are off school next week. My niece and nephew in Seattle are off school in April. It seems to vary...so when should one avoid it? Then there's Winter Break in February! So, don't cruise that week in Feb, and March through April?? I was just looking at an offer from RCL for Eastern Carib for April 15th? Would that be a bad time?

Do you think the East Coast cruises are different than the West Coast? I'm thinking of Florida's reputation for college partyers (and the population is larger so the college crowd must be too I guess)

Thanks!

Here in Michigan our schools have Mid Winter break in February and then the colleges start having their Spring Breaks throughout the month of March. Our high schools Spring Break is considered their Easter break. Basically, you're going to be hit or miss from late Feb-April. I know there was alot of Florida State students on the same cruise I was on so they have early March Spring break.

Imagine that RCCL had Bad Spring Break behavior....without being able to bring your own wine on board :D

I have cruised Spring Break RCCL X 1, Carnival X 2 and Princess X1 and have been lucky I guess, no bad behavior yet. I also found very few differences between RCCL and Carnival, only that Princess was more upscale.

IMHO, RCI needs to increase the minimum age rule. It should be more like Carnival's rule.

RCI's rule:

No guest under the age of twenty-one (21) will be reserved in a stateroom unless accompanied by an adult twenty-one (21) years of age, or older.

Carnival's rule:

Guests are required to be 21 years old (on embarkation day) to travel. Guests under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom by a parent or guardian 25 or older.

Archived