Are you bored with the Caribbean?

Are you bored with the Caribbean?  

487 members have voted

1. 1. Are you bored with the Caribbean?

• Yes, I've seen enough.
    • No, I love to cruise there!
    • Never been ... and no thanks.
    • Never been, but would like to go.

I have cruised to the Caribbean many times, and I never get tired of seeing that beautiful blue water! Going to the same islands over and over just gives us the chance to try different excursions or "on-our-own" adventures.

So many times when you cruise and go to a port, you have to choose which one excursion you want to do. The ease of sailing to the Caribbean may times just means you can do it one way this time, and something different the next time!

One poster mentioned possible longer itineraries, maybe 8-10 days. That sounds good to me! More and different island to explore, and possible an extra sea day or two! Bring it on...:D

We recently booked the Emerald Princess just because of the new islands they were offering, Bonaire, Grenada and Dominica. Wife and I only do 10 day cruises now because of our schedules and after 3 straight cruises to St Thomas, St Kitts, St Martin, St Lucia and Barbados, we felt that we needed a change or a All Inclusive. It seems the lines get into a rut, at least with 10 day cruise offerings and the same islands end up year after year. Later stays { 5-6 hours just isn't enough} would be nice + now that the Turks and Caicos and other new spots are showing up we just may continue to cruise the beautiful Caribbean.

When we choose the Caribbean now we are looking for sea days (about 1/2) and looking for new ports or ones we have enjoyed in the past. If we are not that thrilled with a specific one we may just wander around town for a few hours then get back for a late lunch and pool time. :D

The ship is always half the experience for us. ;)

Why doesn't some cruise line start departing on Wednesdays? Then maybe so many ships would not stack up in the same port?

Cheaper airfares to fly Wednesday morning, includes a Saturday stay over, less people trying to get to the ports at the same time. The docks sit empty all week.

It would be great, two short work weeks back to back.

Many depart on week days. You should consider 10 day cruises.

I don't think the airlines do much of that Saturday night stay anymore, but I do agree airfare can be slightly cheaper on certain week days.

Nope. WHERE we are doens't really make much difference, if it's winter and you're from the northern part of the country, it's 80 degrees, the sun is out and I'm sitting by the pool or on a beach. with a foo-foo- shi-shi drink with a lttle pink umbrella in it. Sometimes I don't even get off the ship. as the isalnd we're at really doesn't make any difference. We've done west coast Mexico and the weahter is not as nice as in the Caribbean (cooler and windy) We've done south American land tours, Africa and a few other warm climate places, but I'd just as soon be on a ship in the Caribbean sometime in Jan/Feb/Mar.

Gizmo, we are booked for an 8 and looking at a 9 day this fall. Did an 11 before and really enjoyed that one. I don't think I'll ever be tired of the Caribbean and cruisin.

Someone mentioned the cruise lines being in a "rut", remember each cruise there are many first timers, many one timers, and then the rest of us that pick the cruise line, the ship, and the route. More at sea days appeals to us.

I cruise on Hal and do 10 day cruises. I think my biggest complaint is they don't change the itinerary enough. They will do the same 10 itinerary for at least 4 years before they make a change. At one time, they changed them around much sooner. There are plenty of routes and islands that can be handled in 10 days rt from Ft. Lauderdale.

• 10 months later...

Not bored with the caribbean, but with some of the ports, and that's only after two cruises. Too many T-shirt sellers, Senor Frogs, and high pressure excursion hustlers. Some of the ports are too much like Wal-Mart, and not enough like Gilligan's Island.

So this time we're taking the 12-day Celebrity Summit repositioning cruise from San Juan to Southampton on March 29th. Some different stops: Pont Delgada (Azores), Vigo and Gijon Spain, and La Rochelle and Cherbourgh France , and the price was right.

Dave and Sharon

Mariner of the Seas - 3/07 (Eastern Caribbean)

Mariner of the Seas - 9/07 (Western Caribbean)

More variey ....yes! It seems every ship (no matter the cruiseline) goes to the same ports....some are starting to branch out and embark in different places (Barbados) but still the choices for ports are limited. Years ago...my wife and I sailed on Dolphin (great line) and our cruise started from Aruba...sailed from Aruba to Curacao Panama Canal, The San Blas Islands (we had to tender) and Cozumel...then Back to Aruba....I thought that was a great itinerary. I tend to think if they embarked at a different port and maybe had smaller ships (or the same ships just tenedered) that would open up a variety of ports on the smaller Islands...which is something that I would pay extra for....sometimes I just can't afford to take 10+ days off!

Andy

I dearly wish that Carnival would mix up the itineraries a little bit. I desperately want to do a Southern route, but refuse to have that many port days. Maybe with the new lovely fuel charge, they can switch the itinerary back to the way it was, with Dominica, Aruba, Barbados (there was one other, I forgot what it was). Supposedly the reason the stopped that was because of the price of fuel and how far south Aruba was.

Maybe with the new lovely fuel charge, they can switch the itinerary back to the way it was, with Dominica, Aruba, Barbados (there was one other, I forgot what it was). Supposedly the reason the stopped that was because of the price of fuel and how far south Aruba was.

St Thomas/St John...We were lucky enough to do this Itinerary in '06 on the Destiny...although I am about Aruba'd out! :D

Andy

Wonderful beaches, but I wat more. Not much else to see.

I'd love to go on a mediteranean. I used to live in Europe, and there's no way you can compare the Mediterean cruise to a Carribean. Just have to dish out the extra cash for the flight over, and get extra vacation time from work. That's my problem. Surely now that the dollar is week.

Working towards a Hawaii or Alaska cruise also, or Panama canal.

We tend to go with NCL all the time because of the NCL credit card points, I am tired of the same games on the ship every year. They need to switch it up for repeat customers! It is not funny anymore after 4 or 5 years....

We are not really beach people, so prefer cruises to other destinations...than being said, we still tremendouly enjoyed our 2 Caribbean cruises, but have not felt an overwhelming need to return to any of the Islands for an extended stay (except perhaps jamaica or Dominica).

We look at the Caribbean as our "relaxing" vacation -- no stress, no worries about tours, sightseeing etc. My DS loves this kind of vacation, and I enjoy de-stressing. However, I do like to vary this with other cruises that are more destination oriented (Alaska, Baltics, Mediterranean), as well as with some land-based trips. So far this mix is working for us!

I voted "no" because there are some islands I have yet to visit. There are some islands that are not available on the longer cruises. For instance, I've not yet seen Jamaica on a 10-night cruise; at least not on the cruise lines I've been on so far. We are considering a 7-night cruise next year so we can go to Montego Bay, Jamaica or Grand Turk.

I just asked the wife .That was her answer.. But we're heading to the S/ Caribb for 10 days next week . But When you have travelled the Islands of the Pacific ,there is no comparison in the warmth & friendliness of the people on any of their Islands. But It's a long way from Eastern Canada ,yet worth it. Cook Islands is one of my favorites. French Polynesia too .If I didn't have Family in Canada I'd move to New Zealand tomorrow. The people of the South Pacific are rich in spirit & are proud of their Country. In the Caribb ,They use you & want your $ for the most part. .Even Islands like Bermuda have changed .I remember when 1 shipused to call (Queen of Bermuda ) Now there is 4 in most days. Remember once in the Caymen Island when there was 7 Cruise ships at one time & a plain T shirt cost me $18 to cover up the legs of the Grandaughter

There are places I am extremely sick of: Grand Cayman, Nassau, Grand Turk, Tortola, Great Stirrup Cay. There is no place that I am even interested in checking out that I haven't already. But I would very much like to go back to Belize, Cozumel and San Juan. This next cruise is mostly Central and South American (Panama, Colombia, Costa Rica) although technically it's probably a Western Caribbean itinerary.

I would really like to take a full-on South American cruise, but the whole $$$ thing stands in my way! Don't have an interest in Europe because I have been there many times and although I would love to go back, it would be on a traditional land-based vacation.

Actually, the Far East would be great- and it would be very nice to go back to the ship every night!

If I had been asked this question a couple of years ago I would have said yes, but my last few cruises have been transatlantics, Europe and Mexican Riviera so I'm looking forward to the caribbean cruises I have booked. I love the beach, and I've missed the wonderful beaches of the caribbean.

Terri

Archived